Back from the Summit

Corgis mom

I was wondering about how people are dressing up lately. On formal nights, were there many men in tuxes? Suits? Sport coats? Were they allowed into the MDR if they did not have a jacket and tie?

There were not many men in tuxes, but the few that were looked very good ;)

Most people dressed appropriately. I did not see anyone turned away, but then again I didn't see anyone blatantly ignoring the dress code.

It's really not that big a deal to bring a jacket. If you don't want to wear a jacket, there are other places to have dinner. It seems that people really appreciated formal night and really enjoyed dressing up.

We certainly enjoyed it :)

I posted a "live from the Summit" thread' but wasn't able to continue because of both my ineptitude, and poor internet reception. I once had seven minutes left, and thought I would down load some e-mail, and I didn't get anything.

Anyway, I did see some questions, and will try to answer them, now.

Trivia. Plenty. Sometimes 3 or 4 a day. Different venues. Karaoke: the way they do it is they have about three sessions to get finalists for the grand ending Karaoke. Again, different venues. If you feel you will miss dinner, just tell Justin, or whoever, and they will put you on first.

Classic drink package. GREAT ! We drink Absolut Gimlets, Jim Beam Manhattans, and Drambuie. All are on the classic package.

We enjoy Revelations. I like the vibe, love the bartenders, and it is flies to the MDR.

Now, this is just us, and don't flame me...my husband really said this...the best thing about this cruise is that we are NOT in a suite. We could see the menus to Lumina, since they were posted outside the restaurant, appetizers, chicken liver custard, Burrata, wild mushroom consumme, and, grilled Mediterranean octopus.

Entrees, Ricotta cavatella with duck, Peppered Tuna, Roasted Chicken Breast, Braised short ribs, and Thai green vegetable curry.

Deserts were Chocolate tart, cheesecake, and Coconut Cremiux.

Now...the Short ribs are good. And rich. They are served Tuesdays as an appetizer, (smaller portion), and Thursdays as an entree, larger portion. We were there on a b2b, and that was the way, both weeks.

I had a fellow start talking to me when we were both sitting down. He asked me if it was my first Celebrity cruise. I said no. He then asked if I thought the food had gone down a bit. I agreed. That being said, the buffet is better than it has been in the past. The rum coconut cake, served near the end of the cruise is very good.

In the MDR, second week, no escargot. The truck carrying it got into an accident on the way to the pier. They also were carrying the bottled water, no biggie, we just got different brands. But...they also were carrying the tote bags. So, no tote bags that week. Life goes on.

Oh, the lobster, had very little flavor. I thought that the first week, May 10, and ordered the beef Wellington week two, May 17. I over heard two different people say it had no flavor...their words. Beef Wellington was good.

As a side note, it is amazing how much less you eat on week two. Can't tell you why, just is.

Bermuda is great. Took the trolley around dockyard once, not getting off to take pictures.

Look for the chickens in the front of the pharmacy. :)

Two weeks, two different sides facing the Dockyard

What did we spend OBC on? We bought an iPad mini 3 week one, and the cover, plastic thing to cover the face, and some cables, and the Apple t.v., on week two, plus the Canon, SX 710 HS camera.

Oh...if you are mobility impaired...getting on is no big deal. Enter the lobby, check in, up a big escalator, or there is an elevator, cross the 50' gang plank, and you are on. Getting off, get a wheel chair. It is a long walk. Reason? You have to go past the luggage staging area, (you don't see it), and finally out to the puck up area. Then customs. At customs, let go of the wheelchair, you are steps from seating for van pick up, or close to the shuttle. Have one person take the shuttle to get the car. About 10 minutes later they are in front. Plenty of room out front to load.

When you arrive, it now looks like an airport, with only one big entrance, as they only do one ship at a time. Very nice.

The shuttle takes you to the old parking lot.

That is about it. Boy does the grass grow in two weeks!

Just off Summit myself, was in a Celebrity Suite for the week.....

We had dinner the first two nights in MDR, and the rest of the cruise we ate in Luminae because the service was head and shoulders above the MDR, and the food was, too, in my opinion.....

We had escargot, the first night out, I think it was, in the MDR.

MDR waitstaff was severely lacking, no personality, no smiles, and they seemed severely understaffed. The sommelier argued with me that with a Premium beverage package, when I ordered a bottle of wine that I was only entitled to a 10% discount when I already knew that it was supposed to be 15%. She finally agreed, and issued a new check. Curiously, though she never cancelled the old one, which I had to get resolved with Guest Relations.

After that, we stuck to Luminae for the week, except for one night in Normandie.

Yes, the Luminae menu is not as extensive as in MDR, perhaps 4 Appetizers and but the quality of the food, and especially the service, is stellar. The "Luminae Burger", at lunch, is sublime. At dinner, Grilled Barramundi is fantastic, and the Lobster was delicious, as well as Lamb Chops one night. Fresh made fettucini with shrimp and Calamari was delicious.

The real star of Luminae was the service. They get to know your name, from the Maitre D who seats you, to the waiter and sommelier. Friendly, smiles, and an attitude that made you feel like you really were a welcome guest instead of just someone to put a plate in front of.

One nigh, the Maitre D even sent desserts to our room because we had to leave hastily for an appointment....

If you can't tell, I loved Luminae!

We are new to celebrity. How are the tips handled when you dine in Luminae (or other optional dining rooms)? Does your regular ($15/day) tip get split between ALL servers on the ship? Of course we would tip extra for good service, but if you don't dine in the MDR, does the tip get to the server in the optional DR?

We are new to celebrity. How are the tips handled when you dine in Luminae (or other optional dining rooms)? Does your regular ($15/day) tip get split between ALL servers on the ship? Of course we would tip extra for good service, but if you don't dine in the MDR, does the tip get to the server in the optional DR?

Not sure, but they do keep track of your cabin number when you approach the Maitre D podium at Luminae, so I would guess that they must then route the gratuities to whoever it is that serves you. Of course, you can also give additional (as we did) for exemplary service.

We saw people turned away on a nonformal night in tshirts shorts and flip flops. They looked like they just came from the pool

At the risk of enraging the "its my vacation" crowd, I was glad to observe people dressed as you describe turned away from MDR dinner, as well.

JJ: I don't want to offend anyone either, but its really not too much to ask someone to put on slacks and a sport shirt for dinner. If you don't want to comply, go to the buffet or cruise on another cruise line.

As far as tips, I won't hesitate to tip extra, when appropriate. I just don't want to be tipping someone who is not entitled to it and stiff someone else, who is.

Are the movies on deck 12 a new venue? I don't remember it there back in 2013.

I'd never heard of them on Celebrity.... had not read anything here about them on the Bermuda run either until our may 17th cruise.

Here's a photo.

1zqavbk.jpg

DinaS -- thank you so much for your detailed reply! I head read about the town crier in Hamilton giving the tours. I really am hoping that we can get on that 9:30 ferry to Hamilton on Wednesday and be able to do the tour.

Sounds like you had a great time -- reading your reply made me even more excited for our Sunday departure!

DinaS -- thank you so much for your detailed reply! I head read about the town crier in Hamilton giving the tours. I really am hoping that we can get on that 9:30 ferry to Hamilton on Wednesday and be able to do the tour.

Sounds like you had a great time -- reading your reply made me even more excited for our Sunday departure!

You'll have a great time - just go with an open mind and the goal of just having fun!

And if you play any of the trivia or other games, tell Justin that Nadine said hello....LOL

This is really annoying. We retire early and wake to scuba dive very early. We are in 1140 and was counting on quiet evenings.

Do you know that 1140 is the middle aft verandah right above the sunset bar? It is a great cabin with a huge balcony, but the bar has music into the evening, and although it is not what I would call rowdy, it can still be a bit noisy.

Do you know that 1140 is the middle aft verandah right above the sunset bar? It is a great cabin with a huge balcony, but the bar has music into the evening, and although it is not what I would call rowdy, it can still be a bit noisy.

We are ok with the bar and music noise - it's the loud movies that are the concern.

Oh, if you get a chance to say hello to Mark (the British guy who makes all of the activities loads of fun), just go up to him and say "squirrel".

He can't seem to pronounce that word.....LOL

Oh, if you get a chance to say hello to Mark (the British guy who makes all of the activities loads of fun), just go up to him and say "squirrel".

He can't seem to pronounce that word.....LOL

LOL -- I will be sure to have my "Bullwinkle" moment and use the secret word on him!

Thank you, Dina for posting the information.

The movie issue bothers me as port mornings is when we'll be up early to eat breakfast and get off the ship. We are also in an aft cabin on deck 11. I really hope X gets so many complaints that they stop showing the movies.

Who was your Captain?

Edited by midwestchick

I'd never heard of them on Celebrity.... had not read anything here about them on the Bermuda run either until our may 17th cruise.QUOTE]

That is the most pathetic thing that I've ever seen. If you can't build it better or at least as good as MUTS on Princess than just don't bother. All they created is more undesirable Aqua Class rooms.

I'd never heard of them on Celebrity.... had not read anything here about them on the Bermuda run either until our may 17th cruise.QUOTE]

That is the most pathetic thing that I've ever seen. If you can't build it better or at least as good as MUTS on Princess than just don't bother. All they created is more undesirable Aqua Class rooms.

And this is what we pay extra for when we cruise in Aqua class? :mad: :mad:

WTH was X thinking when they made this decision? :rolleyes:

I only did aqua 2 on this sailing to try to avoid a ton of kids in both Blu and at least in deck area (9)---A lot of people love deck 11 and really like being aft over the bar area-- Almost always on a cruise I make sure there is a cabin above and below me to avoid potential problems. I agree with the posters that it wasn't too smart (JMHO) of Celebrity to copy Princess with MUTS right above aqua 1 cabins. I think had we been able to do this cruise first week in June we would have booked a concierge cabin instead, or maybe a sky suite- as on this ship aqua cabins are not to me in desirable locations. We booked a cabin under the carpeted area of buffet, hoping that will keep the noise level to a minimum.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks when on board.

I only did aqua 2 on this sailing to try to avoid a ton of kids in both Blu and at least in deck area (9)---A lot of people love deck 11 and really like being aft over the bar area-- Almost always on a cruise I make sure there is a cabin above and below me to avoid potential problems. I agree with the posters that it wasn't too smart (JMHO) of Celebrity to copy Princess with MUTS right above aqua 1 cabins. I think had we been able to do this cruise first week in June we would have booked a concierge cabin instead, or maybe a sky suite- as on this ship aqua cabins are not to me in desirable locations. We booked a cabin under the carpeted area of buffet, hoping that will keep the noise level to a minimum.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks when on board.

I'm really hoping there are so many complaints in the coming weeks that X actually stops showing the movies. I do know if it affects my sleep, I will definitely let them know about it. Other than that, I didn't think there would be any real issues with deck 11. I was tempted to start a thread to Celebrity Official....I still may. :rolleyes:

My TA contacted Celebrity on Movies Under the Stars and it is going fleet wide unless they receive complaints. They have had no complaints so far!!!!!

We are considering cancelling our four cruises booked on Deck 11 Aqua Class as we retire early.

My TA contacted Celebrity on Movies Under the Stars and it is going fleet wide unless they receive complaints. They have had no complaints so far!!!!!

We are considering cancelling our four cruises booked on Deck 11 Aqua Class as we retire early.

That is very sad!

We moved 2 of our 5 cabins to a different location. My mother is 89 and Aunt is 86. Both have great hearing and this would have upset the, my husband and I move death them because we get up early those 2 specific mornings. My brother,mister in law and their 4 kids are staying in 3 Aqua cabins aft on 11. I'll report back as to their experience.

If people would complain while they were on board, so the issue could actually be observed while it was happening, it would make a HUGE difference.

It amuses me when people have issues on board, and then wait to complain about it until AFTER they return.

At that point, it appears it wasn't that much of an issue.