Skagway excursion

Saints63

We will be on the Norwegian Jewel and will port at Skagway on June 3rd. Unfortunately, the Alaskan Green Jeep Tours are booked, as is all of Avis car rentals. What would you suggest for a sight-seeing tour? We have seen pictures of Emerald Lake and would love to be able to see it. Would you suggest the Yukon Jeep Adventure booked through Norwegian?

I'll be on the Pearl that same week. I booked the White Pass and Yukon tour with Dog Sledding. It's the 8 hour tour. Train up, Bus back. Goes to Emerald Lake also. Booked Through Chilcoot Tours.

I'll be on the Pearl that same week. I booked the White Pass and Yukon tour with Dog Sledding. It's the 8 hour tour. Train up, Bus back. Goes to Emerald Lake also. Booked Through Chilcoot Tours.

I just came back from the 10 day Alaska on the Sun and I can highly endorse the White Pass and Yukon train. I didn't do the dog sledding, instead opted for the train up, bus back with the Yukon Suspension Bridge which was amazing. Perfectly safe, but if heights bother you perhaps not a great choice. :eek: The tour was shorter in duration which gave me some more time in Skagway when we got back, but I will say that I talked to some fellow travelers who did the dog sledding and they had a great time as well. Skagway is a very nice town too, very authentic Alaska feel, with some terrific brew pubs around. :)

White Pass & Yukon Railroad is always nice for sightseeing. Poster above with the combo train/Emerald Lake/dog sledding is a full day and sounds fun...

Here's a couple random shots from White Pass Yukon Railway...

3111-1024x682.jpg

3061-1024x682.jpg

3051-1024x682.jpg

3031-1024x682.jpg

another 2 thumbs up for this one.

Make sure you have a passport if choosing this excursion.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

I just did the 7.5 hour tour with Chilkoot that was train up, bus back into the Yukon territory. I did the doglsed, but that was immaterial to the length of the tour.

It was beautiful. Stunning.

We did this in 2012 and it was awesome! The train was indeed stunning scenery and the dog cart ride was a total kick. Our 5-year old loved it. The bus ride back down to town was great. The driver would stop where ever you wanted for pictures. He dropped us in town and we headed over to Skagway Brewery so my husband could sample a flight and we all had a pretzel with cheese dip. Then we wandered the town and headed back to the ship. I highly recommend Chilkoot.

Oh and ditto on the passport - they did board the bus and check passports as we crossed back over into the US.

Edited by jenf22

We did the Chilkoot tour on our first cruise to Skagway and absolutely loved it. I think that should be everyone's first Skagway excursion. Also, they have a guarantee to get you back to the ship on time or they pay for you to get to the next port. Very reputable. Do the long excursion with the train/van.

I agree the train is an absolute must. Not sure if it is still available, but in 2009 on the Pearl we did the train up and bicycled down. Awesome trip. Wonderful vista stops on the way down and of course, all downhill!

For our family the train is not a must do. We are pretty active and prefer much smaller groups. We took temsco helicopter glacier trek last year and this year we will be doing the wilderness glacier excursion.

Out of all the things we did and saw in Alaska, our group of 4 unanimously voted this part of our Skagway day as #1 :

Contact Drake with flydrake.com.

There was nothing to compare this highly skilled pilots flight above the glaciers, lakes and mountains. Breathtakingly amazing. Astoundingly beautiful.

We also saw those huge mountain sheep/goats clinging on narrow mountain ledges.

Drake is known as the best pilot in those parts and it showed. Fabulous.

Other ideas:

We started our day in Skagway with taking the ferry to Haines. Gorgeous.

We were picked up by Holly Jo, who was then a guide for Rainbow Glacier Adventures (who have many awesome tours in Haines) conducting tours at the

Big Nugget Gold Mine of Gold Rush fame. (these are no longer available :( )

She brought us to the Haines airprt after the tour and Drake picked us up and flew us to paradise and then dropped us at the Skagway airport.

We then walked to town and got a jeep rental and drove to Canada & back.

We still had a couple hours left for the shops too.