Just returned from 8 day Carnival Cruise,

chsalas

We did Carnival a couple of years back, although overall it wasn't my favorite, I must admit the pizza was delicious and nice to be able to get it at midnight. We hit one adult comedy show and it was the funniest. Perhaps people would stay up later if there were more shows like that on board.

IMHO, Being a "Debbie Downer" will take more years off of one's life than the occasional burger and ice cream will.

Having also recently sailed Carnival only sailing Princess before, I can agree with all of the OP's observations. I would also add that it would be nice if Princess would provide complimentary hot chocolate at all hours like Carnival does.

It has been a long time since I sailed Carnival - like almost 20 years ago. I am pleased to hear from other reports that some of the decor is much better than the neon that we saw on the Fascination. If I could pick a longer itinerary with less kids, I would try it again. If anything - a change in menus would be welcome and I hear their Supper Club is quite good. And it was my first cruise on Carnival that got me hooked on cruising. If that is the case, it can't be that bad, can it? And - for someone who doesn't do coffee or tea, I am a hot chocolate fan. I hope that is not too bad for me while I am on vacation :)

Edited by Coral

It has been a long time since I sailed Carnival - like almost 20 years ago. I am pleased to hear from other reports that some of the decor is much better than the neon that we saw on the Fascination. If I could pick a longer itinerary with less kids, I would try it again. If anything - a change in menus would be welcome and I hear their Supper Club is quite good. And it was my first cruise on Carnival that got me hooked on cruising. If that is the case, it can't be that bad, can it? And - for someone who doesn't do coffee or tea, I am a hot chocolate fan. I hope that is not too bad for me while I am on vacation :)

The hot chocolate machines on Carnival are wonderful. They use either Nestle's or Carnation. I've learnt to tap the powder holder before use because it sometimes clumps. Available 24/7. Have to bring our own on Princess.

I always cruise the first and second week of December after the Thanksgiving break is over. I wonder if the 'party crowd' atmosphere would be as intense as your cruise during the first week of summer vacation? Or maybe there would be a lot less kids and more adults that like to have fun but are a bit less loud?

:D

We did only one Carnival. Dec. 8th a couple of years ago out of Galveston TX. Thought the kids would be in school after just being out for Thanksgiving and it being too early for Christmas break. Collage finals still going on and so forth. So very wrong, so very, very wrong. Lots of kids, so many collage (21 yrs) kids. They wanted to party, hard. Yes it was a cheap cruise to Mexico, but I've never in my life been on a cruise ship where they (honest it's true) wheeled people back on board ship in wheel chairs from a port stop because they were too drunk to walk back on safely:eek:

The pool games got raunchy quick as well. At the 2 in the afternoon they had a hairy chest contest, sounded funny. The men were encouraged to dance as they entered, the young female judges were encouraged to touch and feel the texture of the fur as they passed by, the last judge was told to spank the contestants as they passed by, all by the cruise director, you can imagine how fast this went south, and with little kids all around. They maybe should do this later, or at an adult pool:o

Just saying, it was a bit much for me;):p

I know, this is a Princess board, I'm a Platinum Level Princess customer and I am brand loyal, however we just got off a Carnival cruise with my entire family (my BIL arranged it so it was not my choice). I will not bash Carnival, I knew what to expect going into it, but there are 3 or 4 things I think Princess could consider implementing that would make cruising a little more enjoyable.

1. The FunTimes (Patter equivalent) has a folded in tear away section that has all the activities and times . That was easy to tear out and fold into a front pocket. On the back side, all important times, contact phone numbers on port days, and restaurant hours and dress code. pretty nice idea and convenient.

2. Late night Pizza and 24 hour Ice cream. That was nice after a night of dancing to be able to get a soft serve (self service) ice cream or a slice to help with the alcohol digestion. I don't want the buffet open all night, that's just wasteful, but the late night snack was nice. Just a thought.

3. An adult Comedy Show, (after 1100 ) with a mandatory 18+ policy, the comics were hilarious and held nothing back.

4. A stand alone burger/fast food idea. Loved the Guy Fieri burgers, they were outstanding. The burger options on Princess leave a lot to be desired. I know, it's cliche, but it worked, and worked well. The only thing is the burger bar was only open a few hours a day, but it was awesome. The Blue Iguana tacos were awesome too!

I'm a Princess customer, I think that by far, the service, selection of ports, the quality level of ships and entertainment are superior, and the cleanliness is much much better, but these little idea would make Princess just a little better.

Just a thought

Local Princess Customer. :)

We've taken a couple of Carnival cruises, and it's not for me for the reasons cited by OP; however, I do agree with your suggestions for things Princess could improve upon. Another thing that I loved about Carnival was the wonderful terrycloth bathrobes in every cabin that were actually big enough to fit everyone. They were as nice as those in Princess suites. I also enjoyed the tear-off activities listing from their FunTimes and the Comedy Club with both kid-friendly and adult shows. Something for everyone!

Thanks for the report. While "blue" adult comedy after 11:00 might sound appealing, I have never been on a Princess cruise where I thought that the clientele would crave it. Most nights, it is hard to build a crowd in Skywalkers or Club Fusion (or any other venue) after 11:00. I don't think that Princess cruisers are the demographic for late night adult comedy.

I just find Skywalker's to be so LOUD when I go up there late at night. I don't like the music they play and they do play it really loud. I'm always surprised when I go up there in the evening. Princess has lots of people my age and older but the music in Skywalker's is geared toward a much younger demographic. It's no wonder not a lot of people are up there in the evening.

Sorry, I beg to differ... my husband is diabetic, I am pre-diabetic... no way would I wolf down several hamburgers... maybe once every 3 months? I understand that every one is different... and likes different things... When I go on a cruise, I go for the salmon, medallions, etc. Hamburgers, I can find anywhere, anytime...

So you may not want the things the OP suggests, but other's might. It's nice if there are choices so we can all have what we want. You can abstain.

Carnival, for the most part, have larger cabins that include a small sofa. They are more in line with Princess mini-suites and for a fraction of the cost. When, in the past, we cruised with Carnival, we chose the ships that had the Cloud 9 Spa cabins. They are up front and away from the madding crowds.

I can honestly say, I've never watched a hairy chest contest nor observed drunk passengers. I guess we just lucked out and/or avoided the times and places these things happened.

I don't care for Carnival's buffet choices but their main dining room food was almost comparable to Princess. Carnival has a wonderful Indian-specific buffet on some of their ships that I found delicious.

Carnival has one dessert that Princess doesn't, and maybe that's a good thing...the Warm Chocolate Melting cake is to die for.Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you might think you died and went to heaven. I have never found anything close to it on Princess. And, as I said earlier, that is probably a good thing.

Last but not least, we've always had great steaks in Carnival's steakhouse restaurant but not such luck with Princess. The ambiance and menu was preferable, as well.

Lots of positives here for Carnival yet we still cruise Princess two-three times a year. HAL is still another favorite.

So you may not want the things the OP suggests, but other's might. It's nice if there are choices so we can all have what we want. You can abstain.

I think someone is having a bad day...

I really like the deli sandwich bar on Carnival.

Thanks for your review. We will be retiring soon and the cost of cruises will be very important. We have been talking about possible doing Carnival. Our big concern is that it always appears to be a "party" ship. Did you find this when you were on it?

We're Platinum on Princess and Diamond on Carnival. We found that it was not so much a party ship if the cruise was 7-8 days AND if we cruised when children are supposed to be in school. There are always those parents who take their kids out of school when they find a good deal and always some home schooled kids, but generally they are not overrun with children. We always cruise in January and have found the age range of the passengers is much older then on all the lines. We have been on some Carnival cruises that had just as many old people has HAL.

Just don't take a 3 or 4 day cruise because then you will really learn the meaning of Party ship.

Edited by DebJ14

WOW. This will be my first Princess cruise but I have 7 Carnival. DH and I continue to go back to Carnival for the price. Also we are not shocked about the crowds and do not let them bother us. We always do other things and the "rowdy" crowd does not effect our cruises

I believe no matter what cruise line you are on your enjoyment is what you make of it. If YOU allow others to effect your cruise that is your concern.

I enjoy my vacation with my DH and friends and I don't let others bother us. Just a thought.

I'd rather just not see Princess "carnivalized." Let's just have each line's strengths and not try to emulate another. If anyone prefers Carnival, by all means, stay with Carnival... There are many choices out there...

I'm also willing to bet that most Princess passengers don't want or need a Guy Fieri hamburger. If you want one, it's simple, sail with Carnival.

I also understand that not everyone wants to have a healthy diet on vacation, but many passengers do want it or need it...

As for "adult" comedy... would I go see one? Maybe. I saw one on one of my Carnival cruises and didn't think it was particularly funny...

Sorry, I beg to differ... my husband is diabetic, I am pre-diabetic... no way would I wolf down several hamburgers... maybe once every 3 months? I understand that every one is different... and likes different things... When I go on a cruise, I go for the salmon, medallions, etc. Hamburgers, I can find anywhere, anytime...

And you are entitled to you opinion. I have been sailing Carnival long before I was a diabetic and have never had a problem with food issues. I just hope the same goes for Princess. I have marked my booking as such.

FYI 2 years ago my DH had stomach reduction surgery 3 months before we sailed on the Carnival Liberty. They were extremely attentive to his food needs and his exercise needs. We were amazed and extremely happy with the way he was treated.

When I attempted to book my Alaska cruise in September the lady on the phone made this the most difficult booking I had ever experienced.

She was told it was a birthday present for my husband and he was not to be notified of this cruise. Told her several times. Then she would not let me book a handicap cabin. Which we have been in our last 3 Carnival cruises. Anyway she insisted she needed my husband information even though it was never to be used.

Long story short 10 minutes after I got off the phone with this lady my husband phoned me. He ask if I had just booked an Alaskan cruise? I was so mad.

We have booked several cruises on Carnival with special circumstances and never had this issue. I just hope Princess is better. We shall see in a little over 80 days.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']I'd rather just not see Princess "carnivalized." [/QUOTE]

I think Carnival management is slowly but surely impacting Princess in a negative way. If you don't think so, remember back to when they were building the Royal Princess and cut back two things because of costs (central staircase and dueling glass pianos) and that has Carnival written all over it.

My last cruise was with carnival. Funny that you named the 4 things I will miss about carnival.guys burgers were very good princess definitely should rethink their burger bars.and their pizza was definitely better than princesses pizza. Other than that I'd rather be on a princess ship.

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']I'd rather just not see Princess "carnivalized." Let's just have each line's strengths and not try to emulate another. If anyone prefers Carnival, by all means, stay with Carnival... There are many choices out there...

I'm also willing to bet that most Princess passengers don't want or need a Guy Fieri hamburger. If you want one, it's simple, sail with Carnival.

I also understand that not everyone wants to have a healthy diet on vacation, but many passengers do want it or need it...

As for "adult" comedy... would I go see one? Maybe. I saw one on one of my Carnival cruises and didn't think it was particularly funny...[/QUOTE]

I hardly think that having a dedicated burger bar will turn Princess into Carnival. HAL has a burger place, the "Dive In" that serves up some very nice burgers. Lots of people love it and I am sure there are others who have no desire to try it. The nice thing is, it's there for people as an option. No one is forcing it upon you. Freedom of choice. Edited by Daisyloo

Foe the most part, Princess serves Atlantic farm raised Salmom.....if you are looking for a healthy diet, this is not it. It rates very poorly in Omegas, and tastes like it is fed on garbage. On the Alaska cruises they serve Alaska salmon....that is healthy for you....farmed salmon is not.....so eat a burger....it is actually better for you....

[quote name='AzJenn']thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I have considered trying carnival to see if it's an option for the future...I hate saying I don't ever want to go on a cruise line just based on others opinions and it's great to see some positive take aways!

Do you think you would go on carnival again?[/quote]

I recommend you try Carnival. Mostly because you have to try something yourself to know if you enjoy it. If you go on the internet you will find every opinion out there and it's really all irrelevant because they are not you. Even in my own family we have members who prefer Carnival or Princess, some who think Carnival food is better, some who think Princess food is better, some who like the liveliness of Carnival (side note: it's not divided by age lines, the 80 year olds in my party LOVE the constant activities and music and dance up a storm) some who like the decor of Princess. I personally want to try many more cruise lines in the future. I'm just waiting for the right itinerary from the right port at the right price and you'll see me on another cruise line in a heartbeat.

[quote name='laughing husky']Foe the most part, Princess serves Atlantic farm raised Salmom.....if you are looking for a healthy diet, this is not it. It rates very poorly in Omegas, and tastes like it is fed on garbage. On the Alaska cruises they serve Alaska salmon....that is healthy for you....farmed salmon is not.....so eat a burger....it is actually better for you....[/quote]

So glad someone brought up this point...the fish part, not the burger part. :p

[quote name='hubofhockey']I think Carnival management is slowly but surely impacting Princess in a negative way. If you don't think so, remember back to when they were building the Royal Princess and cut back two things because of costs (central staircase and dueling glass pianos) and that has Carnival written all over it.[/QUOTE]

And that missing center stair case is a big deal. My son and wife who are in their late 30's sailed the Regal for their 15th anniversary last Nov. They upgraded to a midship MA. They loved the ship except for the lack of center stairs/elevators. They won't sail on either ship because of that. It was a long walk forward or aft to get either up or down and they found it a monumental waste of their precious vacation time.

[quote name='laughing husky']Foe the most part, Princess serves Atlantic farm raised Salmom.....if you are looking for a healthy diet, this is not it. It rates very poorly in Omegas, and tastes like it is fed on garbage. On the Alaska cruises they serve Alaska salmon....that is healthy for you....farmed salmon is not.....so eat a burger....it is actually better for you....[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! We do not eat any fish or shrimp on a cruise because it is all farm raised in a toxic soup. Our doctor told us that farm raised shrimp, salmon and especially tilapia are probably the worst things you can eat. They are fed lots of antibiotics.

We only eat fish when we know it is fresh, wild caught. We often get Wild Sockeye flown in fresh and always get Wild Caught Gulf Shrimp here in TX. Best fresh fish we ever had was the Mahi Mahi we caught in Costa Rica and took from the boat to the restaurant to be prepared for us!

As for the beef on ships, we usually pass on that too as we only eat grass fed organic beef at home. We end up eating lots of veggies. No pizza because we are gluten free and I am dairy free (medical need, not by choice). I end up with a fruit plate for dessert since they are always pushing GF cheesecake and Creme Brulee, neither of which I can eat. We end up losing weight on every cruise! Edited by DebJ14

[quote name='JimmyVWine']Thanks for the report. While "blue" adult comedy after 11:00 might sound appealing, I have never been on a Princess cruise where I thought that the clientele would crave it. Most nights, it is hard to build a crowd in Skywalkers or Club Fusion (or any other venue) after 11:00. I don't think that Princess cruisers are the demographic for late night adult comedy.[/QUOTE]
One of the problems with Skywalkers is they have dancing. Most people are on a cruise to enjoy themselves.