Rome to the port, easy ?

We're on the Harmony from Civitavecchia (Rome) next year. Staying in Rome for a couple of days first, and I have 2 questions.

1. Should we get a hotel near to the train station so there's not far to go when we get to Rome, and not far to go for the train to the port ?

2. Is it easy getting to the port at Civitavecchia. (i.e. lots of trains, no problem buying tickets and no problems getting from the station at the port to the ship).

There's 8 of us so it would need 2 taxis

Thanks in advance fellow cruisers.:)

We took an arranged Taxi to the port. It certainly isn't right next door and I believe it took over a half hour easy to get to port. I would book a hotel centrally located to the main attractions in Rome and not focus so much on staying close to the train. Seems like a train would be more work and worry then having your hotel just set you up with a couple taxi/vans.

We're on the Harmony from Civitavecchia (Rome) next year. Staying in Rome for a couple of days first, and I have 2 questions.

1. Should we get a hotel near to the train station so there's not far to go when we get to Rome, and not far to go for the train to the port ?

2. Is it easy getting to the port at Civitavecchia. (i.e. lots of trains, no problem buying tickets and no problems getting from the station at the port to the ship).

I agree - check the Rome forums. I hotwired a hotel in the train station district and got Hotel Emona Aquaeductus which is near the Porta Maggiore. Thus worked out well for me. Nice neighborhood and totally charming hotel with breakfast - no buffed up cookie cutter place at all. I thought the area right by the train station was a bit seedy. 4 stops on the tram from the train station. 5-10 minute walk to the metro. Direct tram to the Coliseum. Direct subway to the Vatican.

There were lots of trains to Civitavecchia at a variety of prices. If you want to go on one of the cheap trains, buy your tickets ahead. Note: it is a hike to the train platform from the station. Arrive early and head out to the track as soon as it is posted. Watch out for the gypsies who will try to help you buy tickets or carry luggage - they expect more money than you are probably willing to pay. At the port I leisurely walked along the waterfront promenade to the port entrance where there were shuttle buses out to the ship.

Lots of buses from Termini - I downloaded a bus map to my iPad and rode as many buses and trams as possible to see various areas of the city. Only used the subway to go to the Vatican.

We've done it many times and find it very easy and much much cheaper than hiring taxis.

Don't just restrict yourself to saying near Termini though, as the trains from Civitavecchia also call in San Pietro (the station for the Vatican) and Trastevere (which is a nice neighbourhood on the west bank of the Tiber).

The advice about looking on the Italy ports of call board is good, as there's a mine of information there.

I agree - check the Rome forums. I hotwired a hotel in the train station district and got Hotel Emona Aquaeductus which is near the Porta Maggiore. Thus worked out well for me. Nice neighborhood and totally charming hotel with breakfast - no buffed up cookie cutter place at all. I thought the area right by the train station was a bit seedy. 4 stops on the tram from the train station. 5-10 minute walk to the metro. Direct tram to the Coliseum. Direct subway to the Vatican.

There were lots of trains to Civitavecchia at a variety of prices. If you want to go on one of the cheap trains, buy your tickets ahead. Note: it is a hike to the train platform from the station. Arrive early and head out to the track as soon as it is posted. Watch out for the gypsies who will try to help you buy tickets or carry luggage - they expect more money than you are probably willing to pay. At the port I leisurely walked along the waterfront promenade to the port entrance where there were shuttle buses out to the ship.

Lots of buses from Termini - I downloaded a bus map to my iPad and rode as many buses and trams as possible to see various areas of the city. Only used the subway to go to the Vatican.

When did you do your "leisurely walk along the waterfront promenade to the port entrance where there were shuttle buses"?

That used to be possible, but on my last cruise from Civitavecchia in December 2014, the shuttles had been moved to a temporary coach station on the far side of the town - not an easy walk by any means.

There was a paid local bus from rail station to connect with the port shuttle, and some of the van type taxis were doing a shared trip to the port itself at a per person price.

Edited by harz99

I did it Nov 3, 2013. At that time there were shuttle buses at a port entrance near McDonalds. If things have changed, then all the more reason for the OP to follow my suggestion to post on the Rome forum.

I did it Nov 3, 2013. At that time there were shuttle buses at a port entrance near McDonalds. If things have changed, then all the more reason for the OP to follow my suggestion to post on the Rome forum.

Or Clarea's suggestion and link earlier in the thread. Or indeed the roll call for the OPs cruise.

Anyone reading this who has any need for rail info anywhere in the world would do well to consult http://www.seat61.com .

When did you do your "leisurely walk along the waterfront promenade to the port entrance where there were shuttle buses"?

That used to be possible, but on my last cruise from Civitavecchia in December 2014, the shuttles had been moved to a temporary coach station on the far side of the town - not an easy walk by any means.

We've done this walk on a number of occasions - it's longer than the original walk from where the port bus used to stop but not sure why you would describe it as 'not an easy walk by any means'

It takes around 20 minutes at a normal pace, along a flat road - 25 at the most.

I understand that it may be difficult if you have mobility issues, in which case you can catch the bus. For those who don't have a problem walking 20-25 mins you can often get there quicker than the bus, if there is a long line

Edited by Bobal

We have done that trip. It is not as easy as some would make out out to be.

Someone said, the Rome train terminal is huge, and you may have a long walk to you port train. Once on the train, 16 pieces of luggage will be a problem. The train we took was more like a commuter train, you could not check your luggage. There are few places to store large luggage pieces on the train. Also plan your schedule so you do not have to change trains.

When you get to the port, that walk, without luggage is a breeze. Dragging two pieces of luggage apiece will make it a long trek. It will be hot, or worse it could be raining.

Is it doable, obviously, we did it both ways via train. With 8 people it may be cheaper to get a shuttle. It certainly will be easier.

We've done this walk on a number of occasions - it's longer than the original walk from where the port bus used to stop but not sure why you would describe it as 'not an easy walk by any means'

It takes around 20 minutes at a normal pace, along a flat road - 25 at the most.

I understand that it may be difficult if you have mobility issues, in which case you can catch the bus. For those who don't have a problem walking 20-25 mins you can often get there quicker than the bus, if there is a long line

That is the difficulty with expressing personal opinions - everyone differs, so I normally try an err on the side of caution.

Without luggage in the middle of a B2B it took us around 25-30 minutes to walk. With luggage there are several kerbs to go up and down and the bit through town is not totally flat, we would not find that an easy trek and chose to use a shared car service run by Civitavecchia cabs from Rome to Port, and on return a shared taxi from port to station, then train.

Edited by harz99

Here's a picture review with commentary of taking the train from the Airport to Termini the night I arrived:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44291362&highlight=journey#post44291362

And then the morning of embarkation from Termini to Civitavecchia:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44301747&highlight=embarkation#post44301747

My hotel was a block and a half from Termini, super convenient for the Metro and 20-25min walk to Colosseum. Look it up on google maps.

Have a great cruise! :D

Edited by Hoopster95

First, I second the advice to do research over on the Italy board, where this sort of thing is discussed often.

But second, based on my own experience, you might want to consider the following. Given that there are 8 of you, a very convenient way to get from Rome to the ship is by private transfer, with a reputable company like Romeinlimo. (You'll find plenty of info about them and a few other companies on the Italy board.) With 8, the cost pp would not be prohibitive, and they could take you directly from your hotel in Rome to the ship (90-120 minutes give or take, depending on traffic). No schlepping of luggage to a train station, no schlepping on a train, no need for multiple taxis.

Also, in Rome, staying near a train station is not your best bet imho. If you stay in the Centro Storico, you'll be able to walk to just about everything you'll want to see. It's just wonderful.

Enjoy your trip!

We hired a car that took us directly to our hotel. The train will take you to the train station you will then have to get to your hotel.

Consider how much time you will have in Rome. I would prefer to explore Rome rather than lugging luggage and riding trains.

Factor the cost of 8 train tickets with the price of the hired car.

I don't recommend the train trip from Rome to Civitavecchia based on our experience last October (2014). We were only two people. The train car to C was a commuter-type car. There was no place to put luggage except in the aisle, and by the time we boarded, the aisle was clogged with other people's luggage, which we had to drag our suitcases over to get to our seats midway along the car.

At C, you disembark onto a platform, and must walk (dragging luggage) down about 15 stairs. You then cross under the track and must drag your luggage up an equal number of stairs, to get into the station, which is tiny. Once outside, we looked for a taxi but there were none - the taxi stand was deserted. A local person told us to take the city bus (which you can buy tickets for in the kiosk inside the station). When the bus came, it was a local commuter bus, and we had to drag our luggage up the stairs into the bus, and park it in the aisle where everyone tripped over everyone else's luggage. At the port end, you must drag your luggage down the stairs to get off the bus and across a parking lot to get to the ship shuttle. Some people from the commuter train decided to hike it to the port from the station. At a guess, they had a one kilometre hike ahead of them, dragging their suitcases.

I would never EVER take the train from Rome to C again. If you're young and spry and only have a backpack - go ahead. If you have a big suitcase and hand luggage, bad idea. Arrange private transport. We had that arranged for our arrival back from C to get to Rome. It was infinitely better.

For whatever its worth and im sure things have changed, they had taxis/shuttles you could pay for waiting at the train station in civitavecchia when we went 4 years ago and same story for our friends 2 years ago. Its not a terribly big train station or town, but there tend to be cabs waiting when a cruise is departing from there.

I don't recommend the train trip from Rome to Civitavecchia based on our experience last October (2014). We were only two people. The train car to C was a commuter-type car. There was no place to put luggage except in the aisle, and by the time we boarded, the aisle was clogged with other people's luggage, which we had to drag our suitcases over to get to our seats midway along the car.

At C, you disembark onto a platform, and must walk (dragging luggage) down about 15 stairs. You then cross under the track and must drag your luggage up an equal number of stairs, to get into the station, which is tiny. Once outside, we looked for a taxi but there were none - the taxi stand was deserted. A local person told us to take the city bus (which you can buy tickets for in the kiosk inside the station). When the bus came, it was a local commuter bus, and we had to drag our luggage up the stairs into the bus, and park it in the aisle where everyone tripped over everyone else's luggage. At the port end, you must drag your luggage down the stairs to get off the bus and across a parking lot to get to the ship shuttle. Some people from the commuter train decided to hike it to the port from the station. At a guess, they had a one kilometer hike ahead of them, dragging their suitcases.

I would never EVER take the train from Rome to C again. If you're young and spry and only have a backpack - go ahead. If you have a big suitcase and hand luggage, bad idea. Arrange private transport. We had that arranged for our arrival back from C to get to Rome. It was infinitely better.

Oh I forgot about those stairs and I second the luggage on the train. There are no elevators to go down and across the platform (no handicap access). My DW broke two wheels on her suitcase. :eek: On our trip we had to take those stairs on the way back to Rome, after we had made that long hot walk from the pier.

Having been there and done that i must recommend romecabs.com. They will easily and reliably accommodate your party. Email them. They respond within the next day (Rome time). Termini, while not scary, is not a place you want to be a tourist gawking about.

Get out in Rome. It's a wonderful city to walk about and explore. Keep your purse in front of you or your wallet in your front pocket. You will look like a tourist but just be aware as with any city. No need to be paranoid or afraid...just tour smart.

Rome cabs picked us up promptly from the airport and then at our hotel to deliver us out to the port. Better than a cab and only a few Euros more.

Let the worry about getting to the port...you don't need to. It's supposed to be a vacation.

Edited by TheMediaman

With 8 persons I would book private transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia. We have always used Romecabs and have received more than excellent service. They are a reliable company. Have alway dealt with Stefano Constantini at http://www.romecabs.com.

Just back from Rome (Allure).

After thoroughly researching those forums and checking the cheapest way to get from airport to Rome and then to Civitavecchia, and the same way back, and since we're always travelling light, only with carry ons, at the beginning the train seemed very "desirable"...:D

In the end, we found Civitavecchia cab service, the emails were replied promptly and the price couldn't be beaten for a private transfer - 40 Euro from airport to Central Rome, 69 Euro from Rome/hotel to Civitavecchia, the same prices back -- all PRIVATE transfer, just for us. The drivers were waiting with our names on, always at least 10 min before the scheduled time.

We arrived in Rome 2 nights before the cruise, and stayed one night after.

We choosed very affordable (for us) hotels, one in Via Veneto (200 Euros per night), and the other even better situated and cheaper, 3 min from the Spanish steps, adequately named "The Spanish Suite" (155 Euro per night when booking directly with them in cash). From both hotels we walked to everywhere in central Rome.

I know you've gotten a lot of answers. But I'll tell you about our experience. Everyone said it was easy, Ha! We got to the train station (4 of us including my 2 teen sons) no track listed for the train until 5 minutes before so we were all running to make the train. People missed it. The train was PACKED we stood almost the whole ride. The walk to the pier was not easy but there were shuttle when you got to a certain point. As soon as I had. Wi-fi I booked a car back to Rome for the return. We weren't the only ones to have a bad trip, many on our role call had issues with the train trip.

For those who are happy to try the train from Rome Termini, they always go from the satellite platform's at the far end of highest numbered main platform 23 or 24? If you're on one of the slower commuter style services you may get lucky and arrive at Civitavecchia in platform one thus avoiding the stairs. Returning from the ship to Rome, there may also be a coach service from the temporary bus station into Rome. I haven't used it but spoke to the reps last December and you can usually pay on the day around €20 each, so for singles or couples cheaper than a car or dearer than the train. Only the individual knows what choice to make.