Solo cabin/single supplement

Neene0311

Kind of just venting. Started to look to book my next cruise. Looking to go alone. The no "single supplement" on a studio room on a particular cruise I pulled up is $1249. If I was to not be solo and was able to have someone else go with me and booked an inside room it would only cost me $729. It's costing me 520 more to be a solo for a smaller room. I understand you get the longer access but that is not worth 520 on a 7 night cruise. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Neene0311

It also depends on the time of year - if you're going during Spring break, school holiday weeks or summertime, its going to be expensive whether or not you're a soloer. I purposely do not go during those times because of the high cost.

I understand the single supplement if you are booking a regular room, but I don't think you should have to pay it on a room that only holds one person.

OP is not paying the single supplement for a studio. OP is complaining because he/she is only saving a few hundred from booking an inside. NCL created the studio concept to assist singles. Everyone has an option, book an inside and spend a few hundred more for a bigger room, or, book the studio and take advantage of the savings.

OP is not paying the single supplement for a studio. OP is complaining because he/she is only saving a few hundred from booking an inside. NCL created the studio concept to assist singles. Everyone has an option, book an inside and spend a few hundred more for a bigger room, or, book the studio and take advantage of the savings.

Oh, I misunderstood.

If you are flexible with your travel plans sometimes the single supplement will be reduced or eliminated if there are lots of cabins available as sail date gets closer. There are sites that list current rates and sometimes it will list the rate for one person. An on-line TA also has a link for solo price deals.

If you are flexible with your travel plans sometimes the single supplement will be reduced or eliminated if there are lots of cabins available as sail date gets closer. There are sites that list current rates and sometimes it will list the rate for one person. An on-line TA also has a link for solo price deals.

This has worked with me for my last 2 Breakaway cruises where I paid $100 one time and $235 another. I had a studio last time that I booked for some really good rate of $545 and then the balcony became $780 10 days out.

Had I waited 3 more days, it would have been pretty much even.

Note, even if you don't get a studio you can still access the lounge for the studio gatherings everyday.

I'm "complaining" because traveling solo would cost 520 more than traveling with someone. Whether I chose to book a studio or an inside is irrelevant to my complaint.

Actually its part of your complaint because the fare for a solo cabin is not double occupancy but the regular fare for 1 person, even though sometimes the double occupancy price of regular interior will be lower due to demand. You're not the only buying studio fare as well, and certain times of year the pricing can be ridiculous high due holidays, sale or a promo.

Also, (if hasn't been changed yet for other room types) the studio cabin fare includes all time access to the studio lounge where you get free coffee / tea / expresso / snacks. If you go with someone else or stay in another room category, you'll only have access during the solo meet which is listed in the daily.

From my understanding, the cruise lines don't make their money on the cabins, but on what is spent onboard. So there will only be one of you "spending" extra money. Yes, there will only be one of you eating, but the crew still spends as much time with your cabin as they do with a cabin that has two people in it.

I have been on 7 "solo" cruises and have paid the 200% fare everytime except for one, where the supplement was 78%. And each time I received Latitude points for just 1, not for the two I paid for. But I was told that was because I was just "spending" for one onboard.

Who knows why it works as it does. I still love solo cruising!

I'm "complaining" because traveling solo would cost 520 more than traveling with someone. Whether I chose to book a studio or an inside is irrelevant to my complaint.

it'll be more for an Inside.

you forgot the port fees/taxes PER PERSON.

so for an inside, multiple that by 2.

it'll be more for an Inside.

you forgot the port fees/taxes PER PERSON.

so for an inside, multiple that by 2.

That's not totally accurate. If a solo books an inside room they would pay the double rate but only 1 set of port fees & taxes. Port fees & taxes are usually standard & don't vary by room type. So the price difference in going from a studio room to an inside would not be affected by port fees & taxes.

I don't get why your complaining. I think the studios are a good deal as when I travel solo in an inside or balcony I have to pay double. Whenever I've cruised in a studio it's always cheaper. They usually sell out too. If I travel with a friend of course it's cheaper as you share the cost, same as a hotel room.

Kind of just venting. Started to look to book my next cruise. Looking to go alone. The no "single supplement" on a studio room on a particular cruise I pulled up is $1249. If I was to not be solo and was able to have someone else go with me and booked an inside room it would only cost me $729. It's costing me 520 more to be a solo for a smaller room. I understand you get the longer access but that is not worth 520 on a 7 night cruise. Any thoughts on this?

If the studio room is $1249 you must be looking at a "high demand" cruise. If your going alone there are sites that offer "hot deals" that have lower single supplements, that or maybe NCL will do a no single supplement wave sale one day again. That or find someone to go with you and get that inside room.

I just looked at a random Aug cruise on Breakaway. Studio=$1299 for one, Inside=$2050 for one and Balcony=$3090 for one. How is it not a better deal for a single to cruiser in a Studio? Of course if you can find a travel companion you can find a cheaper per person cost, but even with an inside you have less square footage and privacy than you would in a studio. If it's all about money, find a travel companion.

It is a lot better to look at the pricing model as each room has a set price, the more people you put in it, the cheaper per person. Studio's only hold one.

From what I have seen, the studio is a rip-off in many cases. For example, studio 500 for one, compared to inside/outside 600 for one. Not always these prices, but usually compares as a rip-off. Sure a bit more money but for the extra space a deal.

From what I have seen, the studio is a rip-off in many cases. For example, studio 500 for one, compared to inside/outside 600 for one. Not always these prices, but usually compares as a rip-off. Sure a bit more money but for the extra space a deal.

Yes, but you're forgetting about the studio lounge all-the-time access that comes with a studio cabin compare to just that solo meet only access there at 5-7pm with any other room category. That lounge comes included in the studio cabin fare, so along with not having to pay double-occupancy prices is why those rooms are popular

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Does NCL ever off cruises where they waive the single supplement? I know There is a website you can check for Carnival that lists all available supplement free cruises.

They do but it's so hit and mostly miss it can get daunting and to the best of my knowledge it's not widely advertised either. Usually it's last minute sailings where they just want bodies to suck revenue out of to fill the ship. Again, very hit or miss but that's usually when I find the deals. Doesn't help with long term planning tho. :(

Does NCL ever off cruises where they waive the single supplement? I know There is a website you can check for Carnival that lists all available supplement free cruises.

Yes they do. My niece booked a balcony cabin as a solo and it was 200%. I few weeks later I found out that the supplement was waived and she was able to save over $1000. She quickly re-booked and moved to an AFT balcony on higher deck. I think the deal was gone a few days later. So it pays to be on the lookout. I told my niece she owes me big time;).

there's a website that lists it. (pretty extensive and not just for NCL cruises.)

unfortunately, it against the rules to name it since it's a travel agency.

google it

Just got back from the Epic Med cruise and did the Studio cabin. I booked that cruise in February for a May 10 sailing and only paid $479 (without port fees). I then watched that category go all the up to $1249 right before sailing while the inside cabin was just a little cheaper. I am guessing that you are going at a popular time and that is why it is so expensive.

They do but it's so hit and mostly miss it can get daunting and to the best of my knowledge it's not widely advertised either. Usually it's last minute sailings where they just want bodies to suck revenue out of to fill the ship. Again, very hit or miss but that's usually when I find the deals. Doesn't help with long term planning tho. :(

Yes I agree. Closer in to sail date offers better prices for solo. I got an incredible rate on a cruise last Nov and another one in Dec as a solo. They were 17/12 days before departure. Actually it wasn't really a rate where they waived the supplement, but such a low rate that paying x2 was still very affordable.