Boston T Fares

NickAndysMom

My family & I will be in Boston for a few days before our cruise this summer. I'm wondering what fare options we will have for taking the subway. We'll be taking it multiple times on 2 consecutive days. Hoping there might be some sort of pass I can buy. Saving money would be nice, but I'm especially interested in saving time. Would love not to have to stop at the ticket machines every time we want to take the T!

I've found info online about "CharlieCards" and "CharlieTickets", but I'm not exactly clear whether either of these might work for a tourist.

Any help from a Boston native is much appreciated!

Thank you both for your responses. I will see a station agent when we arrive in Boston.

I'm surprised to hear that it's only $2.10 per ride. I'd read on their website that it's $2.65.

I'm assuming that when we transfer lines (blue to orange, for example) within a station, it will be covered under the original fare paid for the ride. If I'm not correct, somebody please let me know. I want to be sure I don't add too much or too little when I buy our passes.

Happy summer to everyone!

The basic way to do it is to buy Charlie Tickets (paper tickets with magstripes) from a vending machine in a subway station. A Charlie Ticket has a stored cash-fare value, and additional value can be added at a vending machine. This is probably the most convenient for many people, but also the most expensive: full surcharge fare (currently $2.65 subway*, $2.10 bus) for every ride.

You can save about 20% by using Charlie Cards (plastic cards with RFID) instead of Charlie Tickets: base fare without the surcharge is ($2.10 subway*, $1.60 bus) per ride. You can add stored value at a vending machine.

The only issue is that you have to get the Card, and you can't get it from a vending machine. The details can change from time to time, but you probably have to go to one of a limited list of stations (e.g. Downtown Crossing), during specific hours. But you can also order Charlie Cards in advance, online, and load them with an online account. This is mostly intended for local commuters, but some up-front arrangements could save you time and money, once you're in Boston.

You can put a one-day LinkPass ($12.00) or a seven-day LinkPass ($19.00) on either a Charlie Card or a Charlie Ticket. The LinkPass is good for unlimited rides on subways* and buses, as well as the inner-city parts of the commuter rail. A LinkPass on a Charlie Card (but not a Charlie Ticket) also includes the in-harbor parts of the passenger ferry system (which serves the airport and the downtown waterfront, but not the cruiseport).

If you order Charlie Cards online, and load each one with seven-day LinkPass, you'd skip everything but the turnstiles when you get to Boston. If you don't think the LinkPass is a good value for your schedule, then order the Charlie Cards and load them with cash value from the online account, which will be almost as smooth. You'd want to notice the remaining value on the card (displayed by the turnstile), and add value online or on a vending machine, as needed.

* Trolley lines function as part of the subway, and most of them operate both on the surface and underground. The subways/trolleys allow free transfer when a station serves more than one "color-coded" line; red, green , blue, orange, and usually silver lines. Buses and commuter rail have different transfer rules.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

Wow, Blue Mudshark! You really clarified what I tried to understand on the transit website. The way you explained it was much better. Thanks so much!

A couple more questions, if you don't mind. . .

One of the trips we'll be taking is from our hotel (Embassy Suites at the Airport) to Fenway. It looks to me like we'll be transferring from the Orange line at Downtown Crossing to the Green line at Park street. Is this 2 separate stations, requiring 2 separate fares, or is it somehow one station (so it will be a transfer with no additional fare)? Knowing this will help me to figure out if we want the Link Pass or loaded cash value.

Also, is it true that cash value can be added only in $5 increments? If that's the case, I think that might tip the scale in favor of the 7-day Link Pass. We'll only be using it for 2 days, but I think we'll need just more than $15 in cash value on the cards. If that means we need to add $20 cash, we might as well spend the $19 & have unlimited rides.

All of this is really splitting hairs! The most important thing to me is convenience. While I'm at it, though, I might as well do whatever is the most economical!

Thanks again.

One of the trips we'll be taking is from our hotel (Embassy Suites at the Airport) to Fenway. It looks to me like we'll be transferring from the Orange line at Downtown Crossing to the Green line at Park street.

I'll answer this question;

First off, are you sure you'll be taking the orange line from your hotel? The Embassy Suites on Porter st, is on the Blue line (the Airport stop.)

In either event; if you are coming in via the Orange line, change to the Green line at either North Station, or Haymarket. That will require the least walking. There IS a free underground walk way between Downtown Crossing and Park street, but it's pretty far. (When I worked downtown, I would use it to keep from having to make two transfers, but never if there was a single transfer option available.

f you use the Blue line, take it to Government Center, and transfer to the Green line. You will want any trolly going to Kenmore Square (lines B/C/D). E line trains split off before there.

In all the above cases, the transfer is free.

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
added b/c/d/e distinction

Aloha John,

Thanks for your response. You're right - - - our hotel is on the Blue line. My preference would be to transfer to Green at Government Center, but apparently that station is closed until 2016. It looks like we'll need to transfer from Blue to Orange to Green in order to get to Fenway. Your idea of going the other direction on Orange to Haymarket sounds like a good one. The walk from Orange to Green certainly looks a lot shorter there than at Downtown Crossing! I think we'll give that a shot.

Great advice!

Beverly

All fares (including transfers) are included in a LinkPass. One difference between the LinkPass and individual cash fare value is that the pass is for unlimited rides for one person only; you can't use it for multiple passengers at a single time and place. The cash value can be used for as many people as you like; one person can tap the card to the pad multiple times to let multiple people through; the card is debited each time. Good if you don't want little kids to have to manage their own cards, for instance.

Walk (or hotel shuttle) from the hotel to Airport Station. Blue Line to State Street. Orange line to Haymarket. Green Line (B/C/D branches) to Kenmore Square, walk to Fenway Park. Or if you can get a hotel shuttle to an airport terminal, you can go Silver Line to South Station, Red Line to Park Steet, Green Line to Kenmore. You are correct, Government Center is closed, probably for at least another year.

Be sure to take my favorite T trip on the Red Line from Park Street to Cambridge (Harvard is a nice stop). You'll start underground but cross the Charles River above the water. If it is a nice day you'll see a wonderful view of both Boston and Cambridge before heading back underground.

The T is safe and relatively easy to navigate. Make sure you know your stop name so you can best determine if you are heading "in bound" or "outbound". If you are heading toward Park Street (Red & Green lines) you are "inbound" and away from Park Street you are "outbound".

Edited by Traveling Library

Is it possible to buy a 7-day LinkPass and activate it later, or does the 7-day validity start automatically upon purchase?

I'm asking because we would like to start using a weekly pass right after our cruise, and it doesn't look like there is anywhere to buy a LinkPass in the Waterfront area. Is that right? So we'd like to buy them before the cruise and activate them afterwards.

Here in Boston for the last two days, staying by the airport. The T is very easy to use. The only complexity is the closure of the Government Center (mild issue) and the 4 different arms of the Green Line, 3 of which take you to Fenway. The signage implies you want to go to Fenway Station, actually the Kenmore Station is the best for Fenway. Somewhat confusing, just follow the people with Red Sox attire.

It is, overall, very easy to use.

But you can also order Charlie Cards in advance, online, and load them with an online account. This is mostly intended for local commuters, but some up-front arrangements could save you time and money, once you're in Boston.

I looked for the online purchase of a Charlie Card. The MBTA site had a link fore "Don't have a Charlie Card?" but it just sent me back to the page that lists the locations where the card can be purchased. Did I miss this somewhere? Thanks.

Edited by pizzalady1

After poking around a little at mbta.com, it looks to me as if the ability to purchase Charlie Cards online is badly broken, and so is the ability to purchase passes online. The website is poorly designed, poorly implemented, and not adequately maintained. Sadly, this is business as usual for the MBTA.

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong; I was gullible enough to think that the "Charlie" system had been around long enough to work out the bugs. I should have realized that the bugs may be permanent, as are so many of the T's problems.

After poking around a little at mbta.com, it looks to me as if the ability to purchase Charlie Cards online is badly broken, and so is the ability to purchase passes online. The website is poorly designed, poorly implemented, and not adequately maintained. Sadly, this is business as usual for the MBTA.

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong; I was gullible enough to think that the "Charlie" system had been around long enough to work out the bugs. I should have realized that the bugs may be permanent, as are so many of the T's problems.

Actually, I emailed the MBTA and they are mailing me blank cards that I can then load on line.

As long as you don't exit at a station, you can keep transferring to any line you choose. It may be easier to get a shuttle to an airport terminal and get on the Silver line (free from the airport). You get off at South Station and get on the red line to Park Street. Go upstairs. To get to Fenway Park, take any B,C,D train and exit at Kenmore Station. This will cost you nothing. Since you are staying at the airport, you have a choice to take the Blue line (you must pay to enter the station) or get to an airport terminal and take the Silver line (free).

I agree that the best scenic ride is heading out on the red line toward Harvard Station. You can get off and visit Harvard Square. Or just get off the train, stay in the station and go back toward Boston.

Wow! What a great discussion of the 'T'! Lots of good suggestions and details. I only have two things to add.

1). If there are kids involved, be sure to check the "free" ages. I believe it's 11 and under with a parent.

2). The machines ask if you want to buy in increments of $5, $10 etc, but my recollection is there is always a choice like "more options". I know I add money to my senior card in increments of $1.05 because I no longer use the T that much. The $5 and $10 options just make it easy to throw some money at it quickly.

what is the minimum age for a senior card?

65+ - basically you need a picture ID showing your age and you go to the Charlie Card store at Downtown Crossing Mon to Fri to get the special Senior Charlie card to ride the T buses and subways. On the commuter rail trains you can just buy a senior ticket - no Charlie card is required.

Seniors

Seniors (65+) can ride local buses for 80 cents, inner express buses for $2.35, and outer express buses for $3.40. Seniors can also ride MBTA subway service for $1.05 and commuter rail or boat services for 50 percent off the regular full fare and for a discounted fare to Boston Logan International Airport. In addition, seniors can purchase a monthly pass (good for unlimited travel on local bus and subway) for $29. No discounts apply to express bus passes, commuter rail passes, or boat passes.

Discounted rides and passes require a Senior CharlieCard available at the CharlieCard Store located in Downtown Crossing Station (Underground Concourse) Boston. Adjacent to the Red and Orange Lines at Downtown Crossing Station, the CharlieCard Store is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.Call 617-222-3200 or 617-222-5854 (TTY) for more information.

I'm thinking of doing Grandeur next summer. I've read to take the Silver line into town. Actually, I'm looking to go to 346 Boyleston to do a Segway Tour. Would I be able to get a Charlie card at Black Falcon Terminal?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm thinking of doing Grandeur next summer. I've read to take the Silver line into town. Actually, I'm looking to go to 346 Boyleston to do a Segway Tour. Would I be able to get a Charlie card at Black Falcon Terminal?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Forget the Charlie Card. Just pay the $2.65/ride when you get on the Silver Line. Exact change helps. Take the SL2 Silver Line bus from in front of the Black Falcon Terminal, go to South station, free transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife, two stops any train to Park St, free transfer to the Green Line, and two stops any trolley to Arlington St.

I don't think there's any way to buy a Charlie Card at Black Falcon. I think your best bet is to pay your round-trip fare at the cash farebox on the bus, when you board the Silver Line. You'll be paying cash fare ($2.65 per person), and getting your change in the form of stored value on a paper Charlie Ticket, which you can use for the return trip. For a one-day excursion, the trouble of getting a plastic Charlie Card is probably not worth the savings. Or you can just pay cash fare when you board, and buy a Charlie Ticket at a vending machine at Arlington St for your return trip to the cruise port.

Silver Line from Black Falcon to South Station, Red Line to Park St, Green Line to Arlington St, walk to 346 Boylston St. Pay on board when you board the bus at Black Falcon, free transfer at South Station and Park St.

On your return trip, use your Charlie Ticket to pay at the turnstile to enter at Arlington St, Green Line to Park St, Red Line to South Station, Silver Line SL2 to Black Falcon.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

The "Charlie" terminology is confusing. Charlie tickets are paper and can be gotten at ticket vending machines in stations like Arlington. Fare is $2.65. Tickets can be reused by adding more money at a ticket machine.

Charlie cards are plastic, durable, and reusable. Fare is $2.10. These can be gotten at a more limited selection of places listed on the MBTA web site. IMO not worth the effort to get for a round trip. Once you have a Charlie Card you can load load money or passes onto it.

I have a senior pass which was a real PITA to get. I had to go to Downtown Crossing, show ID, get my picture taken, and wait for them to make the special card.