America's Cup yacht race St. Maartin excursion

And don't forget the t-shirt swap - buy one once, and bring it back for a free new one. No need to even "cash in" the old one.

I had one from St Maarten from about 8 years ago that I literally dug out of the t-shirt rag pile in my garage.

Took it to Cozumel, wore it to the excursion there, and when we got off the boat to go for our rum punch, they said, don't forget to get your new t-shirt.

I did not want another short sleeved one, so they let me apply the cost of a new one to a long sleeved one, I just paid the difference.

Sadly, a guy got sick on our boat in Coz and we lost the race, but it was another fun trip anyway. The captains take the competition very seriously, I bet they have some sort of in-house or among friends incentive to win...

Has anyone done this through RC?

Is it safe? Will you fall out of the sailboat?

Yes, it was one of my best excursions. Is it safe? It's a racing sailboat. You are a crew member with duties. If you follow directions it is safe. Can you fall out? Of course you can fall out. You can also fall off the ship, but if you are doing something you are not suppose to be doing, or not following directions, it can happen. However, the captain will give you are stern warning, and if you continue to not follow directions, he might just throw you overboard! :D

Has anyone done this through RC?

Is it safe? Will you fall out of the sailboat?

To expand on the existing answers:

12 meter yachts are big; around 75 feet in length. Once on board, you will be seated in a safe area away from the side. Each person is given a job, and is shown how to do it. Some are active (sheet grinders/tailers), and others less so (start countdown timer, drink hander outer, etc)

There will be at least 2 paid crew on board to make sure every one is safe, and has a great time!

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
rtpo

I've done it twice. The first time I had a blast. The 2nd time I got sea sick. I was suppose to be a grinder, but instead I held the vomit pail, and it became my best friend. I never felt so sick in my life. We were sailing on the Canadian ship. The crew was very good with everyone, and accommodating with my sea sickness.

The funny thing is I can sail on the cruise ship and be totally fine. You put me on a boat and I always get sea sick.

Yes, it was one of my best excursions. Is it safe? It's a racing sailboat. You are a crew member with duties. If you follow directions it is safe. Can you fall out? Of course you can fall out. You can also fall off the ship, but if you are doing something you are not suppose to be doing, or not following directions, it can happen. However, the captain will give you are stern warning, and if you continue to not follow directions, he might just throw you overboard! :D

I agree. We sailed on the 'True North' and as you set off you are instructed how to hold on and brace yourself as the boat changes position. The man sitting next to me did not hold on for some reason and as we swerved, he slammed back over the edge of the boat. I was

able to grab hold of his pants belt to prevent him going overboard, then other guys on the boat came and hauled him back upright. Phew! After that he found something to hang on to - so Yes, it is possible. Pay attention to the safety instructions.......