Magic porting in PC as of April 2016

laumicmah

They still haven't switched my aft extended balcony cabin. I called them yesterday and they can't do anything as my bookings are frozen until they have switched us over. Not so patiently waiting !!

They have yet to switch mine as well. Its very frustrating. I mean I am happy that we are getting a newer and bigger ship but let us know whats going on so we can start planning things again.

I am thinking maybe mine was done so quickly because maybe they didn't have that many bookings yet? No roll call has been started for it, so that is what I am assuming. My sail date is 6/11/16. It does make it difficult to plan things. I have friends that are thinking of booking the same trip but you can't as it doesn't even show on the carnival site as a sail date. Very frustrating!

Called Carnival but was told that since I bought owed thru a TA that I'll have to go thru them to find out any info. Very frustrating!

This is always the case. It is why I hate using a TA. I like to be able to look up my own stuff!

So did anyone that was switched from the Valor to the Magic get onboard credit? I heard that those switched from the Breeze to the Splendor received $50 pp on board credit. I was hoping we would receive it to, but no luck for me.

So did anyone that was switched from the Valor to the Magic get onboard credit? I heard that those switched from the Breeze to the Splendor received $50 pp on board credit. I was hoping we would receive it to, but no luck for me.

Nope, me either. And our 2 cabins are still on different decks and our bookings are still 'frozen'. I am wondering if the Valor to magic won't get OBC since we are essentially being ship upgraded.

Edited by laumicmah

Nope, me either. And our 2 cabins are still on different decks and our bookings are still 'frozen'. I am wondering if the Valor to magic won't get OBC since we are essentially being ship upgraded.

I believe you are correct. The Valor to the Magic is probably considered an upgrade - so not very likely there would be any compensation.

Since our October 30 2016 Splendor was cancelled, and were not switched to anything, we decided to move over to the Magic for October 29. So essentially the same time of cruise, and duration, except now we get a better ship and better ports! No problem with this. ;)

We also got $50 X 3 for onboard credit. A win for us.

Since our October 30 2016 Splendor was cancelled, and were not switched to anything, we decided to move over to the Magic for October 29. So essentially the same time of cruise, and duration, except now we get a better ship and better ports! No problem with this. ;)

We also got $50 X 3 for onboard credit. A win for us.

Was your Splendor cruise the originally scheduled repositioning cruise??

Thanks for the heads up on the Magic. We WERE booked on the Magic May 1, 2016 out of Galveston. Carnival has yet to notify us of the cancellation. I went on their website and our reservation is gone. At this point we are going to demand a full refund of our deposit since THEY broke the contract we had agreed to. Definitely not good PR in our estimation. We will be booking on the Royal Caribbean instead. :mad:

Thanks for the heads up on the Magic. We WERE booked on the Magic May 1, 2016 out of Galveston. Carnival has yet to notify us of the cancellation. I went on their website and our reservation is gone. At this point we are going to demand a full refund of our deposit since THEY broke the contract we had agreed to. Definitely not good PR in our estimation. We will be booking on the Royal Caribbean instead. :mad:

Why would you have to "demand" a refund. The cruise you booked isn't happening...they will be more than happy to refund the monies you used as a deposit. Hope everything goes smoothly for you on RCI.

Sweet Dutch Girl is right about a full refund. I got a letter cancelling my Breeze cruise and it said the refund would be to the original form of payment (credit or debit card refund) and could take up to three weeks. Not sure how they'll handle people that paid with gift cards.

If you read that contract that you agreed to it clearly states that carnival can cancel any and all parts of the cruise without prior notice. That contract is there to protect them when things like this happen not you. Have fun on "The Royal Caribbean"

If you read that contract that you agreed to it clearly states that carnival can cancel any and all parts of the cruise without prior notice. That contract is there to protect them when things like this happen not you. Have fun on "The Royal Caribbean"

I have read it and am quite aware of its being there as it is in a lot of contracts. The point is that it was a really bad PR move IMO and has soured me on Carnival for the future.

Why would you have to "demand" a refund. The cruise you booked isn't happening...they will be more than happy to refund the monies you used as a deposit. Hope everything goes smoothly for you on RCI.

update: I called them today. After ironing out why I was not notified - data base screwup on their part as I had changed the email back several years ago when I switched providers. I worked in IT and did not buy their "excuses". I changed my profile email address online and in fact use that email to login the website.

I told them I wanted to cancel and get a refund of the deposit. Simple request I thought but no. I had to listen to transfers to another sail date on the Breeze (my schedule would not allow it), transfer to a different ship (not dream-class so no) and then transfer to a new port in FL (I drive to Galveston four hours and a very easy drive so no again). Finally after more sales pitches they relented and agreed to refund my deposit which I was told will appear on my CC in 3 to 10 days. So much for the simple asking for the refund! One gripe I have had about Carnival is their inability to understand the English word no. I could tell them in Espanol but it would still be no. We are back to bad customer relations on their part.

update: I called them today. After ironing out why I was not notified - data base screwup on their part as I had changed the email back several years ago when I switched providers. I worked in IT and did not buy their "excuses". I changed my profile email address online and in fact use that email to login the website.

I told them I wanted to cancel and get a refund of the deposit. Simple request I thought but no. I had to listen to transfers to another sail date on the Breeze (my schedule would not allow it), transfer to a different ship (not dream-class so no) and then transfer to a new port in FL (I drive to Galveston four hours and a very easy drive so no again). Finally after more sales pitches they relented and agreed to refund my deposit which I was told will appear on my CC in 3 to 10 days. So much for the simple asking for the refund! One gripe I have had about Carnival is their inability to understand the English word no. I could tell them in Espanol but it would still be no. We are back to bad customer relations on their part.

Me thinks had they simply taken your request to cancel right away without trying to maintain you as a customer, you would have come back and bawked about how they didn't care and how it was their mistake and how they didn't even try to accommodate. Sometimes there's no way to please if a person decides they are pissed and determined to stay that way.

I had one cruise cancelled and one ship swap. Like you, the swap wasn't communicated to me through Carnival nor my TA. And the PVP who booked the cancelled cruise was less than attentive. I did get an email but no call. PVP was straight lazy IMO. Nevertheless I was able to deal with the switch and wound up asking for a refund for the cancellation as rebooking that one wasn't working out.

If you think things like this don't happen elsewhere, think again. Any decent company would have tried to retain your business. If they were persistent it was probably because they recognized that the switch was on them and the issue they had reaching you.

I thought the responses to you earlier were a bit harsh since I understood your frustration. But this post demonstrates a tone of nastiness that makes me glad you got your refund and won't be sailing Carnival.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

So I noticed new booking confirmation emails today so I called to get our 6th floor cabin moved up with our 9th floor cabin. They said I had 6th floor booked on the Valor so I get 6th floor on the Magic. She said she'd have to cancel my 6th floor booking and rebook me in the cabin I wanted but I'd pay the going rate... $43 more than I was paying on Valor. I was fine with that but I would have thought maybe they'd move me for no cost since I had our 2 cabins on the same floor on the valor and this issue wasn't something created by us but by Carnival. And we don't get the $50 OBC either. But I am looking forward to the Magic so I am happy all in all.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

The loss of you will be a tremendous financial loss to Carnival, they'd better rethink this thing out:rolleyes: Why threaten to book with someone else when you are already booked with RCCL and Princess for 2016?

We ended up changing our cabin after doing some research about being right under the pool on deck 9. On the Valor we were on 8, but with them only having 2 of the 3 people extended aft balcony room and both of them being on 9 we didn't want to take the chance. We are now in a cloud 9 balcony on deck 11 and think we will be much happier there. Only roughly a $100 more so think all in all it was worth it. No ship credit for us either, but with the ship upgrade I really didn't expect it.

All of the cruise lines move their ships around. But, in respect to Carnival it appears that Carnival is doing this to the extreme. Carnival does not seem to have a master plan as to where to place their ships, rather they appear to be "shooting from the hip" trying to compete with the other lines such as RCCL and NCL. In Port Caniveral, Carnival in the past had led the way with quality cruises. They have now fallen way behind in the quality of the ships as compared to Disney and RCCL.

All of the cruise lines move their ships around. But, in respect to Carnival it appears that Carnival is doing this to the extreme. Carnival does not seem to have a master plan as to where to place their ships, rather they appear to be "shooting from the hip" trying to compete with the other lines such as RCCL and NCL. In Port Caniveral, Carnival in the past had led the way with quality cruises. They have now fallen way behind in the quality of the ships as compared to Disney and RCCL.

Totally disagree.

Not with the all over the place unorganized manner of this dance of the ships but about Port Canaveral.

This is our preferred port. Even over NYC or Baltimore which are much closer. And that's because of the variety that you can get from PC as opposed to those other two. With the Magic coming and the Valor already being there, Carnival is positioned well in PC in my opinion. They aren't RCI with the mega ships or Disney with all things Disney - oriented. They have their own market of cruisers.

In the past we've loved being able to spend a few days in Disney and them head to the cape for an affordable cruise. The only Disney cruise that's affordable for many is 3 or 4 day. And you can do WDW cheaper than those cruises.

This year we can spend two days in Disney then head to the Southern Caribbean. And next year we can sail a Dream class ship to a new port (Amber Cove) all without heading all the way down to Miami.

In general I think PC is one of the best cruising ports for any line, and Carnival has a good spot there with a variety of ports and 3 different classes of ships to choose from.

Totally disagree.

Not with the all over the place unorganized manner of this dance of the ships but about Port Canaveral.

This is our preferred port. Even over NYC or Baltimore which are much closer. And that's because of the variety that you can get from PC as opposed to those other two. With the Magic coming and the Valor already being there, Carnival is positioned well in PC in my opinion. They aren't RCI with the mega ships or Disney with all things Disney - oriented. They have their own market of cruisers.

In the past we've loved being able to spend a few days in Disney and them head to the cape for an affordable cruise. The only Disney cruise that's affordable for many is 3 or 4 day. And you can do WDW cheaper than those cruises.

This year we can spend two days in Disney then head to the Southern Caribbean. And next year we can sail a Dream class ship to a new port (Amber Cove) all without heading all the way down to Miami.

In general I think PC is one of the best cruising ports for any line, and Carnival has a good spot there with a variety of ports and 3 different classes of ships to choose from.

This sounds like us. I drove by port of Baltimore yesterday and saw the RCCL ship in port (nice sight)...we are that close but we LOVE going out of PC and we LOVE cruising Carnival (great bang for your buck). I am very happy with what they have there. We do Disney World too (we are DVC members). In 2 more years my kids will all be done with HS and we will be living in NC, 5 hours closer to WDW and PC...sweet!!!

Edited by laumicmah

PC is slowly over taking Port Miami as the most popular port. Carnival sees that and that's why the change is happening earlier than what was planned. It's also why RCL is moving Oasis of the Seas to PC next year. There are big plans for PC and the lines a preparing to capitalize on it!