soot issues Regal

steelhead1

We are currently booked in D425 midship on the Regal for the carribean islander in October. But with the current sale going on we are considering an aft cabin D729 Is the soot issue less of a problem on the lower decks? Or should we stay where we are. Just thinking an aft cabin would be nice with all the sea days

We are currently booked in D425 midship on the Regal for the carribean islander in October. But with the current sale going on we are considering an aft cabin D729 Is the soot issue less of a problem on the lower decks? Or should we stay where we are. Just thinking an aft cabin would be nice with all the sea days

I had an Owner's Suite a deck below, E729, and the soot was terrible; the balcony was unusable most of the cruise.

And Princess charges top dollar for these rooms.

Very top dollar. We had D726 on the Regal's sister Royal. Besides paying $$$$ for what I thought was nothing more than a large mini suite, we were also unable to use the huge balcony due to the soot issues.

It will be interesting to see if the same soot issues exist on the new ship which will launch in 2017. This is especially true since they supposedly addressed the soot issue in making changes to the Regal from the Royal.

Edited by Woobstr112G

We had a aft balcony on our last trip in March, and we heard all the stories of soot on the balconies and found that you don't even notice it until you come inside on the carpet most of the time. And I usually wipe down the rail every morning to get the water off and the towel did not have any soot on it at all most days and I spent a lot of time on my balcony with no issues.

We were in D726 on Regal and had only minor issues. Dolphin is mostly covered which limits any possible issues with soot. Also, there are reports that Regal did have some mods which reduce the soot compared to Royal. Have booked the same room again for a future cruise.

The real problem with Regal/Royal balconies is not the soot on the aft balconies. The real problem is the absolute miniscule balconies on the rest of the ship. If you want a usable balcony you'll have to take a chance on the aft balconies.

We were in D726 on Regal and had only minor issues. Dolphin is mostly covered which limits any possible issues with soot. Also, there are reports that Regal did have some mods which reduce the soot compared to Royal. Have booked the same room again for a future cruise.

The real problem with Regal/Royal balconies is not the soot on the aft balconies. The real problem is the absolute miniscule balconies on the rest of the ship. If you want a usable balcony you'll have to take a chance on the aft balconies.

10547411174_a18bc9d123.jpg

You were lucky then. D726's balcony started out to be the best balcony we've ever had. The soot however made it unusable We noted the soot on our first day at sea after leaving Venice. What really got me all worked up back then is the fact DW, who has aasthma type issues, was greatly affected by the soot and only ventured out onto the balcony a couple of times during the whole cruise:(.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

You were lucky then. D726's balcony started out to be the best balcony we've ever had. The soot however made it unusable We noted the soot on our first day at sea after leaving Venice. What really got me all worked up back then is the fact DW, who has asthma type issues, was greatly affected by the soot and only ventured out onto the balcony a couple of times during the whole cruise:(.

Bob

That's a shame about your wife. My wife also has asthma/allergy issues. She was only slightly affected and we did enjoy the balcony. The soot issue seems to be rather hit or miss which is a shame since those are truly lovely balconies. As I said, we've booked the same cabin on our next Princess cruise.

Very top dollar. We had D726 on the Regal's sister Royal. Besides paying $$$$ for what I thought was nothing more than a large mini suite, we were also unable to use the huge balcony due to the soot issues.

You were lucky then. D726's balcony started out to be the best balcony we've ever had. The soot however made it unusable We noted the soot on our first day at sea after leaving Venice. What really got me all worked up back then is the fact DW, who has aasthma type issues, was greatly affected by the soot and only ventured out onto the balcony a couple of times during the whole cruise:(.

Bob

Bob - I agree completely with you based on our experience with D727 on the Royal. Our cruise was a waste of money as far as accommodations were concerned. In addition to the soot there was a terrible odor at various times that was very disagreeable. Plus the configuration of the 'living' area in the suite is basically the same as the living area in a mini-suite.

But we did like the ship and will be back on the Royal for 20 days in October but in a mid-ship mini-suite with an extended balcony - we aren't making the same costly mistake twice!

Bob - I agree completely with you based on our experience with D727 on the Royal. Our cruise was a waste of money as far as accommodations were concerned. In addition to the soot there was a terrible odor at various times that was very disagreeable. Plus the configuration of the 'living' area in the suite is basically the same as the living area in a mini-suite.

But we did like the ship and will be back on the Royal for 20 days in October but in a mid-ship mini-suite with an extended balcony - we aren't making the same costly mistake twice!

The accommodations are the only thing that is standing in the way of my booking another cruise on the Royal. The ship itself and all it has to offer really is nice. Sure I miss the promenade deck, I'm actually willing to overlook that. What I can't seem to overlook is the accommodations. I just can't afford to shell out $$$$, especially after I retire and lose the overtime, to regularly book a suite that's tiny. I wouldn't book an OS, but I would occasionally book a PH who's design I actually like. Only thing I cant deal with is the beyond narrow balcony with the PH suite. I know it's longer, but it is still the same narrow size as the regular cabin balconies. I can't say I'll never do it, but it won't happen anytime soon.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

That's a shame about your wife. My wife also has asthma/allergy issues. She was only slightly affected and we did enjoy the balcony. The soot issue seems to be rather hit or miss which is a shame since those are truly lovely balconies. As I said, we've booked the same cabin on our next Princess cruise.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Wow such mixed reviews about the aft balconies. Guess if we go that route we will just have to take our chances. with all the sea days on this cruise, the thought of relaxing on an aft balcony to the wake of the ship was appealing

Bob

This is like having the best house in the worst neighborhood.

I was in D727 on the Regal back in January. I thought it was amazing and spent so much time on the balcony. Yes there would be soot build up over night, and I made sure not to touch anything out there before it had been cleaned....but out room steward did an amazing job cleaning it every morning. Perhaps we got better service since we were in a suite? Once the balcony was cleaned, we had no issues throughout the day.