Number of Formal Nights on long cruises (13 Days)?

Avril

I was just wondering, how many formal nights are there on the long(er) cruises? It's been awhile since our last over 7 day cruise with HAL so I can't remember. We're doing a 13 Day TA on the Nieuw Amsterdam (Barcelona - Ft Lauderdale) and am just trying to start thinking about what to pack. I know it's a long way away yet but I like to plan these things and think about it for awhile, lol. Also, do they still have the Black and White Party (with the ship's officers) on long(er) cruises? I remember they had one on our last 2 TAs with HAL and they were lots of fun!! :D

Thanks a lot!! :D

Edited by Avril

Formal nights are hard to figure any more - on our recent 30 day south pacific in Feb/Mar we had lots of sea days and 5 formal nights. The paperwork for our upcoming Voyage of the Vikings that is 35 days with only 13 sea days they are showing 9 formals nights.

Formal nights are hard to figure any more - on our recent 30 day south pacific in Feb/Mar we had lots of sea days and 5 formal nights. The paperwork for our upcoming Voyage of the Vikings that is 35 days with only 13 sea days they are showing 9 formals nights.

Interesting!

Tahiti 30 days -- 5 Formal -- 25 Casual

VOV 35 days -- 9 Formal -- 26 Casual

So it depends on the number of Sea Days?

On our Nieuw Amsterdam Med Cruise we have done 3/ 24 day cruises, and on all 3 we had only 3! So I really think if you want to know call ship services. To me every cruise is different! Now we finished a b2b Carribean cruise on the Nieuw and go figure there were 4!

Denise:)

We had three formal nights on our recent 15 day cruise. With the itinerary change that we experienced, the last formal night was our first night in Quebec City. They made that one a formal optional night. (So I heard; I was in quarantine that day! I am unable to tell you what people actually wore.)

So it depends on the number of Sea Days?

This is what I was told the rule of thumb is. Take it for whatever you wish:

For a 1-week cruise, there will be two formal nights. Every additional week will add one more formal night.

At least some of the differences in what appear to be the same length cruise can be because there's a different way of counting successive (back-to-back, Collector's Cruises) vs. one longer cruise. The same number of days can be a different number of cruises, so there can be more than one "first week".

For a 1-week cruise, there will be two formal nights. Every additional week will add one more formal night.

At least some of the differences in what appear to be the same length cruise can be because there's a different way of counting successive (back-to-back, Collector's Cruises) vs. one longer cruise. The same number of days can be a different number of cruises, so there can be more than one "first week".

Thank you, Ruth.

This sounds like HAL....... you are right about the Collector's cruises complicating things!

Unless it's a back to back, in which case there are an extra two - because it's a one week cruise - twice over. It's like the HAL version of I before E except after C. Until you try to spell weigh or neighborhood or 8. Super simple. :D

This may be a dumb question, but where do you look to find out when and how many formal nights there are on a cruise?

Thanks.

It's not a dumb question at all. You'll usually find out when you book, but there are exceptions. In my experience, the CC posts from people doing the same itinerary are usually your best bet.

This may be a dumb question, but where do you look to find out when and how many formal nights there are on a cruise?

The number of formal and smart casual nights will be listed on the first page of your documents, when they are ready.

This is as close to correct as you're likely to get, although for any number of reasons it can be changed on board. (usually not, though)

I emailed HAL after reading in one info section there would be two for my 12 night cruise and in another section there would be three. I had a couple other questions in there so I got answers back from two people. Shirley told me 2 formal nights. Tiffanie told me 3. Both were referring specifically to my cruise. We only have two sea days. I'm planning for three but expect two. I'll just dress super nice for our pinnacle night. It's way too early for my final documents yet so I haven't received that written confirmation...

Edited by chefestelle