What to do in Naples, Italy for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

Just curious -- with so many things on offer from Naples, are you saying you've done the same tour four times?? :confused:

I know right?? I just love driving down the Amalfi Coast and the atmosphere at la taggliano restaurant... I just dont know... it just gets to me somehow.. I love it. I love Positano and Sorrento... Maybe its all the wine they serve you at the restaurant, hahaha

Im doing it again in June and to tell you the truth, we were going to go to Capri because YEP IVE NEVER BEEN, hahahah.. but my daughter is bringing her friend and she really wants her friend to see it...

Sorry, for those of you who dont know what im talking about. It is Italytoursharing.com tour of Sorrento, Positano Ravello including lunch La Tagliata

But now I just have to go back again and see Capri.. Im thinking 2017 hahaha

With the opening of the new Municipio metro stop close to the port, it seems like it would be quite easy to take the metro from there to the Museo stop (3 stops). You could also walk -- but I'd reserve that for walking back, as it's mostly uphill going and mostly downhill returning... Or of course, you could take a taxi.

What else interests you? There are some extensive Roman ruins underneath San Lorenzo Maggiore -- but of course nothing like you'll find in Pompeii or Herculaneum:

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/location/san-lorenzo-maggiore-church-and-monumental-complex

There are various Naples Underground tours that also visit some interesting sites, including the ancient theatre (where Nero supposedly performed), underground aqueducts, and tunnels where the Neopolitans hid out during WWII bombing raids.

I'm sure euro cruiser can add some NON-excavation themed highlights! ;)

Thanks Cynthia, I didn't know about the new metro stop! After two particularly bad experiences in Amsterdam, DH is asking if we can or need to prebuy tickets to the museum?? I've never read anything here that indicates that, what do you think?

In general, I don't think there are long lines at the museum. I've been at several times of the day.

The longest I had to wait was when we showed up a few minutes before opening. It's not that there was a long line -- but someone forgot to bring the keys to open the ticket kiosk, so there was a delay while someone had to fetch a ladder and scramble over the (open) top to get access to the inside. :eek:

Only in Italy, right? :rolleyes:

It seems like every ship with a Rome call goes to Naples so we were looking for something to do that we hadn't done before. The main shopping street in Naples is Via Toledo. It is an easy walk from the ship, maybe a km. We felt safe walking the short distance. I remember at least one galleria type mall on the way. We were there on a Sunday and Via Toledo, which has no vehicular traffic, was filled with families. Lots of small shops and some some you might recognize. I found it interesting to see European clothes and prices.

I've not heard complaints about lines at the archaeology museum but I guess anything is possible. If it will make you more comfortable you can purchase them in advance here: http://www.coopculture.it/en/heritage.cfm?id=73

In general, I don't think there are long lines at the museum. I've been at several times of the day.

The longest I had to wait was when we showed up a few minutes before opening. It's not that there was a long line -- but someone forgot to bring the keys to open the ticket kiosk, so there was a delay while someone had to fetch a ladder and scramble over the (open) top to get access to the inside. :eek:

Only in Italy, right? :rolleyes:

I actually prefer NOT to prebuy, just 'in case', so this is very reassuring. We had hours-long waits at a couple of places in Amsterdam and DH just wanted to be sure that wasn't going to happen again. We had pre booked the Anne Frank house and that worked great, never knew we needed to prebuy and prebook an arrival time at the Van Gogh, for example. . .

Is Da Michele still the best place to go for pizza?? ;)

There are so many great places to get pizza in Naples that I would never go out of my way to get to a specific one. I know there are folks who swear by one or another but given my extensive research on the subject (let's just say I really like pizza) I have found that you can find great ones all over town.

Edited by euro cruiser

There are so many great places to get pizza in Naples that I would never go out of my way to get to a specific one. I know there are folks who swear by one or another but given my extensive research on the subject (let's just say I really like pizza) I have found that you can find great ones all over town.

Oh that's good to know, I won't stress about it. Thx!

To improve my chances of finding a good pizza, I stick to places that are members of the AVPN (Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana), the industry association that aims to maintain the standards of Neapoletan pizza. Here's the complete list of members in Naples:

'A Pazziell

50 Kalò di Ciro Salvo

Add'o Guaglione

Alba

Antica Pizzeria Donna Regina

Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba

Cafasso

Cantanapoli

Capasso

Carmnella

Ciro a Santa Brigida

Ciro al Borgo Marinari dal 1936

Cruisè

Da Mario

Da Roberto a Bagnoli

Di Matteo

Don Salvatore

Eccellenze Campane

F.lli Portoghese

Gino Sorbillo Lievito Madre al Mare

Gorizia 1962

Gusto & Gusto

Il Figlio del Presidente

Il Polipo

Il Presidente

Il Salotto Arcadia

Iris

L'Arte della Pizza

L'Europeo di Mattozzi

L'Eurosoldino

La Caraffa

La Figlia Del Presidente

La Tana dell'Arte

La Taverna di Bacco - Sasà pizza mia

Le Due Palme

Lombardi a Foria

Ma Tu Vulive A' Pizza

Maestri Pizzaioli

Mammina

Marino

Mattozzi a Piazza Carità

Medina Trattoria Pizzeria

Miracoli

Mondo Pizza 2004

O' Calamaro

Pizzaria la Notizia

Pizzaria La Notizia

Pizzazza'

Pizze e Pizze

Pizzeria al 22

Pizzeria Angelo

Pizzeria Da Attilio

Pizzeria da Gennaro a Bagnoli

Pizzeria da Gino

Pizzeria Del Corso

Pizzeria del Leone

Pizzeria del Popolo

Pizzeria Errico

Pizzeria Franco

Pizzeria Gorizia

Pizzeria Oliva da Concettina ai Tre Santi

Pizzeria Parziale - Melodia di Napoli

Pizzeria Vesi

Pizzeria Vesi

Rocco e i suoi fratelli

Salvatore alla Riviera

SoloPizza dal 1977 di Gaetano Genovesi

Sorbillo Pizzeria

Starita a Materdei

Trattoria Caprese

Trianon da Ciro

Umberto

Vesi

Vittoria

And here is the association's web site: http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/associati.php

Edited by euro cruiser

In Naples I'd really like to see Positano, Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri and Amalfi coast. So to get the most in, the choices are between Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii or Sorrento, Pompeii and Capri. Any recommendations on what is best?

If you are picking only one it depends on what you like.

My personal choice is Pompeii

Capri being a fairly long boat ride, it would seem that if it includes 2 other stops might be pretty rushed.

We did Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano last time and it was lovely. This time we are just to do DIY and go to Capri.

Thanks. I hope you tell us about your cruise and the Vista when you get back.

Capri being a fairly long boat ride, it would seem that if it includes 2 other stops might be pretty rushed.

We did Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano last time and it was lovely. This time we are just to do DIY and go to Capri.

Given the tours that cruises42 is considering, it seems likely that they would go to Capri from Sorrento (not from Naples), which is a much shorter ride -- I think it's about 20 minutes vs. around 50 from Naples.

Still, seems like a lot to pack into a day, and there is a lot to see in Capri. So I'd agree that if one insists on doing a tour like this, Positano is probably the better option.

Given the tours that cruises42 is considering, it seems likely that they would go to Capri from Sorrento (not from Naples), which is a much shorter ride -- I think it's about 20 minutes vs. around 50 from Naples.

Still, seems like a lot to pack into a day, and there is a lot to see in Capri. So I'd agree that if one insists on doing a tour like this, Positano is probably the better option.

Thanks.

With the opening of the new Municipio metro stop close to the port, it seems like it would be quite easy to take the metro from there to the Museo stop (3 stops). You could also walk -- but I'd reserve that for walking back, as it's mostly uphill going and mostly downhill returning... Or of course, you could take a taxi.

What else interests you? There are some extensive Roman ruins underneath San Lorenzo Maggiore -- but of course nothing like you'll find in Pompeii or Herculaneum:

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/location/san-lorenzo-maggiore-church-and-monumental-complex

There are various Naples Underground tours that also visit some interesting sites, including the ancient theatre (where Nero supposedly performed), underground aqueducts, and tunnels where the Neopolitans hid out during WWII bombing raids.

I'm sure euro cruiser can add some NON-excavation themed highlights! ;)

I am trying to get this down on paper so I am not wandering about on the day. Is the new metro station you are referring to also called Depretis?

I am trying to get this down on paper so I am not wandering about on the day. Is the new metro station you are referring to also called Depretis?

The name of the station is Municipio, but there are several exits from the station and one of them takes you to Via Depretis, if that helps.

There is no station, as far as I know, called Depretis.

The name of the station is Municipio, but there are several exits from the station and one of them takes you to Via Depretis, if that helps.

There is no station, as far as I know, called Depretis.

Well, I tried putting Municipio into google maps, but when I read the narrative, it says 'Depretis-San Marco'. It looks like it's about 5-6 blocks from the terminal, is that correct? It does say three stops to the museum so that part seems to be right.. Sorry to be a PITA!

Well, I tried putting Municipio into google maps, but when I read the narrative, it says 'Depretis-San Marco'. It looks like it's about 5-6 blocks from the terminal, is that correct? It does say three stops to the museum so that part seems to be right.. Sorry to be a PITA!

If you look at a metro map for Naples, you won't find a Depretis stop. Perhaps Google maps is just identifying the exit. Think of Paris metro and how far some of the various exits are from the actual metro station!

Anyway, here's the metro map:

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/it/nap/napoli.htm

Actually, I also just found an article (in Italian, but you can run it through a translator) that seems to suggest the Depretis exit will not open until 2016, although others are already functional:

http://www.napolidavivere.it/2015/04/13/la-stazione-municipio-sara-inaugurata-il-16-maggio/

Edited to add: I just found this thread started euro cruiser, which seems to corroborate that currently only two of the planned five exits for the new Municipio stop are open (see post #3):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223841&highlight=municipio+naples

Edited by cruisemom42