how do you feel about sea days?

Have to agree about loving and appreciating sea days now. After a 12-day med. cruise withholding port extensive days that started at 7:00 am until almost 5:00 pm day after day, we were exhausted. Of course in Europe you want to get out and see everything you can and absorb the culture, but it can also be tiring after 4/5 days in a row. But have learned to appreciate the slow-paced sea day now, before getting back to the real world at home.

We love sea days, but I guess we are weird, as our sea days are NOT for relaxing. We highlight everything we are going to do on sea days in the daily program and we run from event to event participating in everything. We have to pick and choose as there is always so much going on we can't work it all in. We sleep well on sea day nights as we have been super busy. Port days are laid back, go ashore, do whatever, come back on board, never anything going on those evenings. We like repositioning cruises because it's almost all sea days!

on the conquest had a great mix of sea days and port days--it was wonderful! I loved the sea days (I called them down time days because we didn't have any schedules to keep, we could relax and do what ever) the next cruise we took our family on was just a 4 day one (on another line) out of CA--extremely port intensive--one every day! my kids hated it! (they didn't go on the first one but we told them about it) all my 5 YO wanted to do was go to the pool--we never had time! I hated not having those "down days" we almost had to take a vacation to recover from the vacation because we were so exhausted when we got back home!

Not a fan, though I deal with them.

We can read a book, play cards and games at home. To me, they are no different than driving days on a roadtrip- a necessary evil to get to the next place (except in most cases- they aren't "necessary" because the ship COULD have gotten there overnight.)

I do typically like one sea day at the end of the cruise to wind down though.

I know I'm atypical though- I don't drink, gamble, or tan.

My sentiments exactly.

With the cost of any type of overseas holiday the last thing I want is to loll around the pool, sleep in etc . As a recent retiree I can do that at home.

The only value I can see in sea days is a chance to explore the ship.

Edited by Colin B

Our favorite cruise is R/T Hawaii ;

5 - sea days at the beginning to de-stress from work

5 - days to run around Hawaii

5 - sea days back to decompress from all of the running around in Hawaii

Compared to coming from down under -- most of our cruises were from our home port -- so we didn't have the massive expense or hassle of getting to the ship - we sometimes think of port days like a work day -- it's something we have to do -- (weird I know)

We really wonder if doing nothing will be as valuable to us after we're retired. Time will tell -- on way or another -- we'll be on a ship :)

Edited by CRUZBUDS

The more port days the better for me. Like my other travel, I cruise to see something new. Love waking up somewhere new each morning. In fact, one of the best cruises I've done was when the Southern Caribbean itinerary had no sea days. Loved it so much I did it a few times. I certainly wouldn't want more than one or two sea days at the most.

Edited by Skywench

I cruise for ports. The best cruise I ever took was a Southern with 6 ports and 1 sea day. I dont hate sea days by any means, but I would never book a cruise to nowhere. The first thing I look for when booking a cruise are new ports to visit, or old ports that I want to visit again. The ship is the 2nd thing, bu ports always come first.

I hated sea days, but I've only been on 1 cruise. I prefer heavy port cruises, to spend the day (or a few hours) in different islands. On our one sea day, I had to fight for pool loungers, and we finally got 3 up on the top deck a few levels away from the pool. I hate pool lounger hogs and one guy who had a chair in both the shade and the sun--I know this because he had a book next to my lounger for hours--I ended up getting pretty angry :mad:. If people are honest and sit out there, then it would be one thing. I do look forward to karaoke and bingo, and maybe a tour on ship this time around. We just didn't know what to expect/do on our first one. I love checking out the ship as soon as we get on board with a cold beer in hand.