Another phone usage and Internet question? Did I do the right thing?

Ok sailing on the liberty 7/16. Even with the D discount I hate to shell $140 out to keep in touch with home.

So this is my plan any opinions would be appreciated.

I have an I 6+ I called ATT my carrier i purchased for $60 their cruise ship plan. I get if I rem correctly 100 messages to send,60 min talk time, 100 MB data.

My DH cell is covered by his company. He will want to touch base and read some emails. His carrier is Verizon. I added their ship plan and took the $80 package 250 texts 250 MB 100 min talk time. Then I figure we get 2 24 hour internet deals on the ship thought they would pick up extra time needed on my phone. I still have to turn off data and roaming if I'm correct. So out of my pocket I spent $ 60 this should work right? I'm not real swift on MB and data and the like????

I do not know the answer to your question.

However, it's my understanding that this is the regular international travel package (my dad had this last year in Canada). I don't see how you can use ATT services while at sea-- I think this is good while in port. I don't think ATT can get any connection while in the ocean because they don't have cell towers there.

Again-- don't know any of this for sure. Just what I think I understand.

Ok sailing on the liberty 7/16. Even with the D discount I hate to shell $140 out to keep in touch with home.

I have an I 6+ I called ATT my carrier i purchased for $60 their cruise ship plan. I get if I rem correctly 100 messages to send,60 min talk time, 100 MB data.

My DH cell is covered by his company. He will want to touch base and read some emails. His carrier is Verizon. I added their ship plan and took the $80 package 250 texts 250 MB 100 min talk time. Then I figure we get 2 24 hour internet deals on the ship thought they would pick up extra time needed on my phone. I still have to turn off data and roaming if I'm correct. So out of my pocket I spent $ 60 this should work right? I'm not real swift on MB and data and the like????

It sounds like you purchaed plans that include data, so I don't know why you would want to turn it off. However, I would turn off data roaming.

Edited by clarea

AT&T does offer Cruise Ship plans, so if this is what you bought, then you are good to go. As long as data roaming is disabled then you wont be hit with data charges. Keep in mind that with the text plan you cannot send photos as they are classed as a MMS and use data.

AT&T does offer Cruise Ship plans, so if this is what you bought, then you are good to go. As long as data roaming is disabled then you wont be hit with data charges. Keep in mind that with the text plan you cannot send photos as they are classed as a MMS and use data.

If they exceed the plan limit, they will be charged for data. People may not realize how much background data all the apps are using.

If you use your mobile whilst at sea it will be via satellite-not sure what provider name would come up on you phone but it will be expensive as via satellite.

could only be via satellite ,as stated ,there on no mobile phone masts at sea.

You could use it in port ok ,if you can get a signal.

If you use your mobile whilst at sea it will be via satellite-not sure what provider name would come up on you phone but it will be expensive as via satellite.

could only be via satellite ,as stated ,there on no mobile phone masts at sea.

You could use it in port ok ,if you can get a signal.

It says "Cellular at Sea" on our phones.

The plans that the OP mentioned were specifically for cruise ships.

It says "Cellular at Sea" on our phones.

The plans that the OP mentioned were specifically for cruise ships.

Yes that's what I was told. I was also told by both carriers that as I approach 75% of my plans allowed usage I would be notified as to be sure not to go over.

Sounds like you are purchasing 2 plans to 'stay in touch'.

Do you need both plans? How often do you have to call home? If your husband has a plan, can't you just fill in with port based calls and free internet?

For ex departure Day 1 you can use your phone until you leave port.

Day 2 at sea no free stuff.

Day 3 Bermuda, you can call from the pay phone right outside the mall with a calling card, and use local free wifi to check emails.

Day 4 cruising, start one of your D 24 hour internet periods, that will last until Day 5 in St Martin.

Day 6 Puerto Rico you should get coverage with Verizon, at least.

Day 7 Haiti no service.

Day 8 cruising start the second 24 hour internet, goes into the last day, Day 9, cruising.

Day 10 home early morning, you can use your phone.

You don't have 'free' anything (for yourself) on the first sea day or in Haiti but do you really need that?

Seems like a lot of fuss and bother to manage two plans while at sea on two different carriers.

I do not plan to be talking tons or surfing the web. I have a 89 year old mother in law that is in good health for the most part and capable of taking care of herself. My DD and SIL will also be checking in on her. I just like to be in touch with them.

Yes that's what I was told. I was also told by both carriers that as I approach 75% of my plans allowed usage I would be notified as to be sure not to go over.

I would also look at the apps you have running in the background and turn off anything you don't need. That will keep your data usage to a minimum.

I do not plan to be talking tons or surfing the web. I have a 89 year old mother in law that is in good health for the most part and capable of taking care of herself. My DD and SIL will also be checking in on her. I just like to be in touch with them.

I based my suggestion on this:

"Even with the D discount I hate to shell $140 out to keep in touch with home.

So this is my plan any opinions would be appreciated."

I would also look at the apps you have running in the background and turn off anything you don't need. That will keep your data usage to a minimum.

...and they should set them to only update over WIFI.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If they exceed the plan limit, they will be charged for data. People may not realize how much background data all the apps are using.

But if data roaming is off, then any apps they use will, more than likely, be the same apps they use at home and therefore consistent with their normal data useage, probably less as they will only work on US islands or territories

But if data roaming is off, then any apps they use will, more than likely, be the same apps they use at home and therefore consistent with their normal data useage, probably less as they will only work on US islands or territories

The OP is purchasing a cruise ship plan that includes very limited data compared to normal plans. These cruise ship plans look like normal data access to the phone, so they won't require roaming to use data.

Just remember to keep your plan active for the full 30 days, or whatever it is. Most of the plans are prorated. That means if you cancel after 7 days when you get back from the cruise, the 100 texts you thought you had will be more like 25, and anything over that amount gets charged extra.

Also, the ships turn off their cell service when they are closer than 12 miles to shore. Make sure what system your phone connects to then, or you may end up with international roaming.

Apps and emails can use a lot of data. I know one of the cruise lines would give you a total of how much data you used when using the internet. When we were just using the internet to check email, and not doing any photo uploads or downloads, it was not unusual to hit 200 mb a day. I assume the phone would be the same usage. That is why we always have cell data turned off, as well as notifications and app background refresh.

We have Verizon, we never buy a package. We don't use any data and our bill averages 15$ to 30$ extra for a 7day cruise. Calling from the ship is now 1.79$ a min , pretty cheap. For 20$ you could make 5 2 minute calls and for another 10$ you could send/receive 15 or more text. Calls in ports are cheaper. Pretty cheap for staying in touch with home. Pay as you go.

Use the D minutes for the internet with a ships pc

Edited by setsail

I would double check both your providers by calling them. As of April 1st (no joke) Verizon stopped their cruise ship coverage. I still chose to get the international plan for the 100mb data and text while in ports, again be very careful to understand which countries are included. Places like Belize and Honduras are not. I usually turn my mobile data off until the ship is cleared for people to disembark so you will be assured to be on the island's service instead of the ships.

Side note, we paid for Internet service for the first time also and we are so glad we did. We are not people who always have to be connected, but having the ability to research ports, restaurants, running routes, and look up general information really did enhance our experience. We were also then free of worrying about accidentally getting charged for usage on the mobile service.

I keep my phone on. I let people know if something happens, send me a text. My wife's phone is off. I get very few phone calls on my phone outside of family. My data roaming is turned off. My wifi is on.

I have ATT

My incoming text is either "free" or $0.10. Responding is $0.50. In port, maybe I will be someplace with wifi. If so, I might notice and check emails etc, or send some emails or texts. Since my data roaming is off, my risk is very small. My last cruise I received one "roaming text" charge of $0.50. That was because the iPhone sent the text as sms instead if the cloud when it failed to connect on wifi someplace. Over the week, I received something like 15 texts. I was not charged for any of them.

Basically, I can be in touch if they need to reach me, but I find no need to reach them to ask if everything is ok. I have family "issues" too, that I might need to know, but I trust everything is in good hands, and just don't worry about it. That's why they know they can reach me if needed.

If you really need data, that's a whole different story and expensive.

I would double check both your providers by calling them. As of April 1st (no joke) Verizon stopped their cruise ship coverage. I still chose to get the international plan for the 100mb data and text while in ports, again be very careful to understand which countries are included. Places like Belize and Honduras are not. I usually turn my mobile data off until the ship is cleared for people to disembark so you will be assured to be on the island's service instead of the ships.

Side note, we paid for Internet service for the first time also and we are so glad we did. We are not people who always have to be connected, but having the ability to research ports, restaurants, running routes, and look up general information really did enhance our experience. We were also then free of worrying about accidentally getting charged for usage on the mobile service.

Verizon has ended their CDMA coverage on cruise ships, but you can still use a phone that has GSM capability.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-cdma-shutdown/

We also don't bother buying a package and just pay for our actual usage. Texts with Verizon are 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive so just make sure whoever you are texting with uses all their characters and doesn't just text like a typical teenager.