Possible Delay @ Amber Cove

I saw in a Puerto Plata English Newspaper that the opening might be delayed because a widening Program from 2 to 4 lanes for about 4 or 5 KM only about 25-30% is leveled now as of 3 hours ago when i passed on a bus, with only 96 days to go if because of the traffic that will generate when the ship arrives most of the tourist attractions you want to go to are in that direction.

this is the main road to Santiago & Santo Domingo the 2 largest cities in RD

I go in February. I really hope it doesn't get delayed, Amber Cove is the reason we booked the cruise.

I am going (hopefully) in late October. It is also one of the reasons I chose this cruise. But from photos I have seen of Amber Cove recently, it does not look like it is anywhere near completion. HMC would probably be the only acceptable sub for me at this point, but I will have to take whatever comes my way.

I agree and am scheduled to go to Amber Cove in December. If they switch Amber Cove with Nassau, first I will scream, second I will cancel, and third I'm going to be looking for a new cruise line.

Don't think the cruise line has anything to do with widening the road. Seems like a local issue to me.

I am going (hopefully) in late October. It is also one of the reasons I chose this cruise. But from photos I have seen of Amber Cove recently, it does not look like it is anywhere near completion. HMC would probably be the only acceptable sub for me at this point, but I will have to take whatever comes my way.

The buildings are all built i passed it today I posted those pictures 4 months ago

Edited by wanderingjew

I agree and am scheduled to go to Amber Cove in December. If they switch Amber Cove with Nassau, first I will scream, second I will cancel, and third I'm going to be looking for a new cruise line.

Maybe we will be "lucky" and they will switch it with Freeport instead! Or La Romana (yuck).

I go in February. I really hope it doesn't get delayed, Amber Cove is the reason we booked the cruise.

Feel sure others also booked because of Amber Cove.

Do hope you get to go ... and :o for selfish reasons as well.

We are anxious for reports back. :D

LuLu

For me it was just that it was a new place to visit. I have not yet been to the Dominican Republic. I kind of have always been prepared for it not to be ready though, or for the port to be switched with another, just because it is new/not open yet. I am usually prepared for changes on cruises, especially when I cruise in the fall/still hurricane season. Whatever will be will be, and I will live with it.

I guess I need to be clued in to what people are so excited about regarding Amber Cove. I got the impression it was going to be sort of a Grand Turk experience. So, a free clean beach, but what's the big deal?

I don't get the whole manufactured port of call thing either. I'd rather experience the real islands.

I saw in a Puerto Plata English Newspaper that the opening might be delayed because a widening Program from 2 to 4 lanes for about 4 or 5 KM only about 25-30% is leveled now as of 3 hours ago when i passed on a bus, with only 96 days to go if because of the traffic that will generate when the ship arrives most of the tourist attractions you want to go to are in that direction.

this is the main road to Santiago & Santo Domingo the 2 largest cities in RD

Thank you for this post Dave... Hubby and I were just ready to book our next cruise because it includes Amber Cove as one of its Ports and having never been there, wanted to go... Think we will pick another cruise for now and hold off on one to Amber Cove until we know for sure that Carnival will be stopping there and it's ready for us... Don't think Carnival will go to HMC if Amber Cove is not ready as most days its already busy with other ships and I don't want to go to Freeport or Nassau if I don't have to...

I guess I need to be clued in to what people are so excited about regarding Amber Cove. I got the impression it was going to be sort of a Grand Turk experience. So, a free clean beach, but what's the big deal?

Sounds to me to be another Mahogany Bay beach:)

Thank you for this post Dave... Hubby and I were just ready to book our next cruise because it includes Amber Cove as one of its Ports and having never been there, wanted to go... Think we will pick another cruise for now and hold off on one to Amber Cove until we know for sure that Carnival will be stopping there and it's ready for us... Don't think Carnival will go to HMC if Amber Cove is not ready as most days its already busy with other ships and I don't want to go to Freeport or Nassau if I don't have to...

I have spent 2 years here over the last seven years mostly in a non tourist area.

i have been here for the last 2 months

We are also waiting for its actual opening. Figure if not open they would divert to La Romana and twice there was onc more than enough.

I really hope Amber Cove will be finished on time!! It's one of the ports we go to on our B2B on the Breeze and I'm really looking forward to seeing a new port and country (never been to the DR before). :D If it's not finished yet, I wonder if they'll give us an extra sea day (which I would love) or just go to a different port (which would be fine as well but not as good as an extra sea day)?

We are also waiting for its actual opening. Figure if not open they would divert to La Romana and twice there was onc more than enough.

Amber Cove is one of our ports when we sail on the Conquest next May. I'll probably wait until at least November to start looking at excursions and reading reviews. I'm in agreement with you l.m.g. Even though Amber Cove is being developed by Carnival and will have all of the usual touristy stuff, it would have to be better than LaRomana.

Amber Cove is one of our ports when we sail on the Conquest next May. I'll probably wait until at least November to start looking at excursions and reading reviews. I'm in agreement with you l.m.g. Even though Amber Cove is being developed by Carnival and will have all of the usual touristy stuff, it would have to be better than LaRomana.

We have reached the point where we have done just about the islands in Caribbean and since we dont snorkel happy to have beach days.