Possible Delay @ Amber Cove

Here is the article the last paragraph is important

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=33939

Thanks for all of the info. I wonder if the D.R. construction people are offered any incentives by the government like workers are sometimes offered here in the U.S. I know sometimes, here in Ohio, if a project is being funded by the state, workers are offered an incentive for every day ahead of schedule that the project is completed, and for every day beyond the scheduled completion date that it takes to complete the job, money is deducted.

• 1 month later...
I saw in a Puerto Plata English Newspaper that the opening might be delayed because a widening Program from 2 to 4 lanes for about 4 or 5 KM only about 25-30% is leveled now as of 3 hours ago when i passed on a bus, with only 96 days to go if because of the traffic that will generate when the ship arrives most of the tourist attractions you want to go to are in that direction.

this is the main road to Santiago & Santo Domingo the 2 largest cities in RD

Hello. We have done a great deal of research, and the delay was a concern. However, as of today, the opening is still on schedule. Feel free to read the following articles about Amber Cove, CCL and Fathom, as well as the Top 10 Things To Do in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-ei

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-CY

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-GE

Hello. We have done a great deal of research, and the delay was a concern. However, as of today, the opening is still on schedule. Feel free to read the following articles about Amber Cove, CCL and Fathom, as well as the Top 10 Things To Do in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-ei

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-CY

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-GE

great thanks for sharing

Amber Cove is one of our ports when we sail on the Conquest next May. I'll probably wait until at least November to start looking at excursions and reading reviews. I'm in agreement with you l.m.g. Even though Amber Cove is being developed by Carnival and will have all of the usual touristy stuff, it would have to be better than LaRomana.

We are on. The Conquest at the end of April and booked for DR. Waiting for reviews on the excursions as well. HMC is already one of the stops. Long time to go still, so road should be complete. Unless it snows...

I hope people who booked a cruise just for Amber Cove aren't disappointed by the port. It is located on the Atlantic side of the island, not the Caribbean side. Therefore, if there are beaches nearby, the sand will be yellow/brown or dark, and the water will be greyish dark.

If you like a shopping mall as a port stop, then maybe Amber Cove is for you. It is designed like the shopping mall at Mahogany Bay and Cozumel, protected and secure. Carnival will probably be telling its pax to stay within the protected zone, just like Belize, and it might be unsafe to venture out unless of course, you are on a Carnival sponsored excursion.

There is an a seaworld like attraction nearby, as well as the area known as Puerto Plata.

If you were looking for aqua blue water and white sugary sand you'll probably be disappointed.

I will not be booking Amber Cove, if I want a DR vacation, I'll return to Punta Cana. In my own selfish way, I am so happy that Punta Cana has escaped from being developed as a cruise port. JMO, YMMV.

We are booked on the first Ecstasy cruise out of Charleston, SC mainly because of this stop. That's in Feb, sure hope the "kinks" are worked out by then.

Several cruises back we went to "Balmoral Island" on their soft opening... wow what a bust that was. I sure hope AC is up and running full and no almost ready stuff.

I hope people who booked a cruise just for Amber Cove aren't disappointed by the port. It is located on the Atlantic side of the island, not the Caribbean side. Therefore, if there are beaches nearby, the sand will be yellow/brown or dark, and the water will be greyish dark.

If you like a shopping mall as a port stop, then maybe Amber Cove is for you. It is designed like the shopping mall at Mahogany Bay and Cozumel, protected and secure. Carnival will probably be telling its pax to stay within the protected zone, just like Belize, and it might be unsafe to venture out unless of course, you are on a Carnival sponsored excursion.

There is an a seaworld like attraction nearby, as well as the area known as Puerto Plata.

If you were looking for aqua blue water and white sugary sand you'll probably be disappointed.

I will not be booking Amber Cove, if I want a DR vacation, I'll return to Punta Cana. In my own selfish way, I am so happy that Punta Cana has escaped from being developed as a cruise port. JMO, YMMV.

I agree with you. Some people are going to be upset when they get to Amber Cove. They complain about LaRomana so they are definitely going to complain about Amber Cove

I agree with you. Some people are going to be upset when they get to Amber Cove. They complain about LaRomana so they are definitely going to complain about Amber Cove

At least in LaRomana you can go to several resorts on the Caribbean side for a day trip. Remember this port is on the Atlantic side of the island. I wasn't impressed at all with the resorts or beaches in Puerto Plata, and I doubt the typical Carnival cruiser will want to go to the capitol city of Santo Domingo.

If all one does is stay in the sheltered port area and shop/drink/eat, then they may come back to CC praising Amber Cove. But I'm guessing there will be the pretty much the same franchise stores there that Carnival leases to in its other shopping corrals. Seen one Carnival shopping port, you've pretty much seen them all.

Thanks for the info about it being on the Atlantic side, although I knew that, in that I has looked on a map and saw where it was, I did not think about the difference in the beaches. Having lived in the islands years ago I understand what you are saying and yes the difference can be dramatic. Anyone who expects tranquil blue seas might get the "grey" water if it's a strong wind, stormy day, bad swells, whatever. I live very near the Atlantic and although enjoy the beach, it is not the reason I cruise. The cruise/ship and the ports are... and this being a new port is the reason to visit.

Again thanks for the info!

At least in LaRomana you can go to several resorts on the Caribbean side for a day trip. Remember this port is on the Atlantic side of the island. I wasn't impressed at all with the resorts or beaches in Puerto Plata, and I doubt the typical Carnival cruiser will want to go to the capitol city of Santo Domingo.

If all one does is stay in the sheltered port area and shop/drink/eat, then they may come back to CC praising Amber Cove. But I'm guessing there will be the pretty much the same franchise stores there that Carnival leases to in its other shopping corrals. Seen one Carnival shopping port, you've pretty much seen them all.

I take it by your posts you're not planning on visiting Amber Cove.:D

Thank you once again for this thread... We have decided to cruise to Falmouth as one of our ports instead of Amber Cove.. Going to wait it out and see what happens and what other passengers opinions are before booking a cruise to Amber Cove...

:)

I don't get the whole manufactured port of call thing either. I'd rather experience the real islands.

The Dominican Republic is a real island and a beautiful one at that. Just because Carnival will have the whole port built up doesn't mean anyone has to stay there. We have been to Grand Turk a few times and we have done tours and various things not just staying int he "manufactured" area.

If that ends up being the case and it is on an itinerary we book we ill make plans to get out of the area ASAP. We love Coz, Roatan and Belize, but we get out of those manufactured, tourist trap port areas in order to experience the islands.

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling

The Dominican Republic is a real island and a beautiful one at that. Just because Carnival will have the whole port built up doesn't mean anyone has to stay there. We have been to Grand Turk a few times and we have done tours and various things not just staying int he "manufactured" area.

Punta Cana is gorgeous. LaSamana is exquisite. LaRomana has access to some decent resorts and beaches. Caberete and Sosua have character and history. None of these locations are accessible from Amber Cove during a port stop.

Puerto Plata which is near the Amber Cove shopping mall, has the gray Atlantic Ocean and some 2 star resorts.