Docking Location

Host Jazzbeau

Question for Azamara regulars: I see on the Oceania forum that they continue to be assigned the least desirable dock location on a regular basis (as happened on our 2011 Oceania cruise on the Riviera). Does this also happen to Azamara? Is it because these small ships pay smaller docking fees -- or is it something unique to Oceania?

Question for Azamara regulars: I see on the Oceania forum that they continue to be assigned the least desirable dock location on a regular basis (as happened on our 2011 Oceania cruise on the Riviera). Does this also happen to Azamara? Is it because these small ships pay smaller docking fees -- or is it something unique to Oceania?

My experience is the absolute opposite on Azamara, their captains are great at getting the best docking locations. Take Barcelona, Oceania were way down the road, we were at the bottom of Las Ramblas a 5 minute walk from the action! I am sure others will tell other stories of the Caotains getting great spots whilst other ships were somewhere else

We were on the Oceania Regatta this May to Alaska. Four of the five ports we were the only ship in yet we dock the in the last berth, the fifth next to last.

The CD told us the port assigns the berth, the private tour guides said its always the least costly.

My experience almost without exception has been the best docking location. The Azamara Captains seem to have a sense of pride about this and will do whatever they can to make it happen. I'll give a shout out to Larry Pimental here because I know he is very much happy to let the Captains make decisions on their own in the interests of guest experience and leaves it to them rather than having to "check with the office", even if it means spending a bit more money. Doing circles across the Equator is one that springs to mind.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

you do pay for the dock. I had the best docks- even in cargo ports we are as close to he exit as we can get. captains always are bragging on that they got the best. You will be very pleased.

My guess is that it is all about the money. Look at the ownership Celebrity/RCCL versus NCL

My experience with poor docking locations on Oceania was long before the NCL purchase. But I'm glad to hear from so many that Azamara does this right.

My experience with poor docking locations on Oceania was long before the NCL purchase. But I'm glad to hear from so many that Azamara does this right.
Jazzbeau - it seems you pulled the short straw on your Oceania cruise. Bummer! Our experience on several Oceania cruises is to the contrary and we have not encountered inferior docking positions. In fact, we've been to some ports on both Oceania and Azamara and had the exact same docking location, whether on R class or O class ships. And they were the best! YMMV.