Wine purchase in Cittavechia

Soonaddsup

We will be flying into Rome from UK and transferring to Cittavechia ready to board our cruise on the same day.

We are planning to bring on the allowed two bottles of wine but don't really want to pack in suitcases because of risk of spillage but also additional weight. So, it would be great if we could purchase just before boarding the ship.

Are there any wine shops/ shops that sell reasonable wines at the port? Are they easy to get to if we are on a 'celebrity' transfer i.e. will celebrity just park up at the ship so we have no chance to go anywhere else.

We will be flying into Rome from UK and transferring to Cittavechia ready to board our cruise on the same day.

We are planning to bring on the allowed two bottles of wine but don't really want to pack in suitcases because of risk of spillage but also additional weight. So, it would be great if we could purchase just before boarding the ship.

Are there any wine shops/ shops that sell reasonable wines at the port? Are they easy to get to if we are on a 'celebrity' transfer i.e. will celebrity just park up at the ship so we have no chance to go anywhere else.

Not sure about Celebrity transfer, but if you can get together with your roll call and use a private transfer, they will definitely stop somewhere on the way.

The Celebrity transfer will not stop along the way for you to purchase wine. They will take you directly to the check-in tent. If you get there early enough, you can drop off your luggage and take the port bus from there to the port entrance, get off, get your wine, and get back on the port bus back to the check-in tent.

There are a couple of places in town where you can purchase wine. Check out the ports of call board for names and directions from the port entrance.

Edited by Wine-O

I can't imagine dragging wine through the airport, onto the flight, through FCO and on to the port unless you're into very expensive or hard to find wines.

Enoteca Cavacini is two-tenths of a mile on foot from the southern entrance of the port, or one half mile from the Via Turco shuttle bus stop (the new entrance/exit). We've been told that you can still use the southern entrance/exit on foot but I can't verify that from personal experience.

Cavacini is closed between 2 PM and 5 PM so you need to get there earlier rather than later.

http://www.enotecacavacinicivitavecchia.com/

Seems like that is our best option. Bit of a pain having to lug wine on plane and with luggage afterwards. Hoped we could just pop into a shop near the port. Ah well!

There are many shops in easy walking distance. If you can go before 2pm or after 4.30pm, you can get some really nice Italian wine. Bringing wine from the UK will be so much more expensive, even for cheap wine. The same bottle that will cost you £15 in the UK will be €5 in Italy.

Excellent advice everyone. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

We will be arriving early as we have an early flight from London so should be able to have time to sort something.

Two bottles of red in the room at the start of a holiday equals happy husband :)

I wouldn't buy overpriced wine in a UK airport when you can pick up some lovely Italian wine at a supermarket in Civitavecchia. There is a Todis supermarket on Via Isonzo, only 3 minutes walk from the port bus stop, selling a good selection of wine at a fraction of the price you would pay in the airport.

It's a great place to pick up wine if you're staying at Hotel Traghetto too.

I wouldn't buy overpriced wine in a UK airport when you can pick up some lovely Italian wine at a supermarket in Civitavecchia. There is a Todis supermarket on Via Isonzo, only 3 minutes walk from the port bus stop, selling a good selection of wine at a fraction of the price you would pay in the airport.

It's a great place to pick up wine if you're staying at Hotel Traghetto too.

Is that from the old port bus stop or the new one?

Is it still not possible to buy wine on Sunday in Civitavecchia? Somehow, it seems that has always recently been our day there, usually on B2Bs.

Also, I guess I've missed something.........what is this about a new port entrance??

Is it still not possible to buy wine on Sunday in Civitavecchia? Somehow, it seems that has always recently been our day there, usually on B2Bs.

Also, I guess I've missed something.........what is this about a new port entrance??

The port shuttles are picking up and dropping off passengers farther away from the train station now, due to construction supposedly, but many of us think this is probably permanent. There is a bus that will take pax to the train station for €.80. It's a bout a mile to the train station now.

Unfortunately the Todis web site doesn't give hours for each store ... but it was interesting to see that they've got a Riesling on sale for €1,79 (regularly €2,19). I'm all for a good bargain but I've got to wonder what a $2 wine tastes like.

http://www.todis.it/volantino-discount-todis/?region=Roma-Lazio&submit=Vedi+volantino

Buying wine on Sunday isn't a problem in Italy, but some shops are not open on Sundays. Carrefour Express in Civitavecchia apparently is open, so you should have at least one possibility.

The Carrefour Express website

http://www.carrefour.it/punti-vendita/supermercato-carrefour-express-civitavecchia-leopoli-2b

says they are open on Sundays. It also says they have continuous opening hours from 0800 to 2000, so it's worth having a look.

Unfortunately the Todis web site doesn't give hours for each store ... but it was interesting to see that they've got a Riesling on sale for €1,79 (regularly €2,19). I'm all for a good bargain but I've got to wonder what a $2 wine tastes like.

http://www.todis.it/volantino-discount-todis/?region=Roma-Lazio&submit=Vedi+volantino

Can't speak for that wine but I can say that when we shopped there we bought the most expensive wine in the shop and only paid around 7 euros. It was perfectly acceptable to us, but then we don't profess to be connoisseurs, although we do drink a lot of different varieties of wine :D

Edited by Bobal

We've learned to be very careful of the wines at Eurospin and Lidl, even if they are DOC or DOCG, so I think you're right to be wary of this one!

Wine shopping in Civitavecchia is a great opportunity to try wines from Lazio. Cesanese del Piglio is a good one to try if you like a red. Sangiovase, Merlot and Canaiolo are other red varietals, and Malvasia and Trebbiano are regional whites to try.

If you're a wine enthusiast, there are enotece in Civatavecchia, such as Enoteca Cavacini mentioned by euro cruiser, but even the modest supermarkets should have a few bottles worthy of attention. If you're feeling less adventurous, it should be relatively easy to find a DOCG Chianti from Tuscany, or a nice white Orvieto from Umbria.

:confused: Youse guys don't have Two Buck Chuck in NY?? ;)

My all time favorite Italian wine is Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Drank a lot of it when we were there, and really enjoyed it. Then we moved on to France, and I couldn't find a white I liked to save my soul. Every time we're anywhere close, I have to grab a couple of bottles when I can find them. It's been an award winning Italian varietal since the 1500s!!