Beverage Package no longer free

bhorv67

We just have a differing opinion. Shout your opinion from the top of the mountains and I'll shout mine. Fact remains for me, drinks are free, gratuity isn't; still a free beverage package.

Sorry but you don't get to make your own facts and the "beverage package" as you stated includes required gratuities therefore it isn't free. If you had stated "the beverage is free but the package isn't" you might have had a better argument but you stated the "package" is free when it obviously isn't. Nice try though, thanks for playing. :)

You have to purchase a cruise to get the UBP in the first place.

Does forcing someone to buy a cruise to get free alcohol mean it can never be considered free even if the gratuities are also paid?

Obviously, since alcohol isn't served in any terminals, one has to be on an NCL cruise to have the chance to even use the UBP (free or not). Of course, no one is forced to purchase a cruise so that is really a moot point. On the other hand, there is always someone out there looking to rip off a business any way they can so I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about someone moaning that had to buy a cruise to get the "almost free" UBP. :D

You obviously missed my last sentence. If someone is taken out of the DSC pool and paid separately by an 18% surcharge, then no one was stiffed by removing the equivalent from the DSC. True, I didn't pay a raise via the DSC to the fewer number of workers now in the pool but I stiffed no one.

Funny but I don't remember seeing anyone standing next to me at 5 in the morning when I was at Guest Services adjusting my DSC so I didn't think anyone could see me jumping for joy over the pride I felt at stiffing someone. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is your excuse, mmm explanation, for stiffing.

As for anybody watching you remove the charges....YOU proudly proclaim it here on the board!;)

We just have a differing opinion. Shout your opinion from the top of the mountains and I'll shout mine. Fact remains for me, drinks are free, gratuity isn't; still a free beverage package.

Agree with you. But some people just won't be happy with anything! For them the word FREE means EVERYTHING is free so they will try to stiff someone or the other!:rolleyes:

18% gratuity on beverage package for a 7 day cruise= $68.04 Divided by 7 days equals $9.72 per day (The equivalent of 1 mixed drink) What is it that makes people so contentious over such an insignificant amount of money for an unlimited amount of adult beverages?

That's wierd, because gratuity for our UDP (that we paid upfront) for a 14 day cruise was $40 pp.

When NCL first started giving the UBP as part of a promo they stated that it included the gratuities. Getting 2 $10 glasses of wine would mean a gratuity of $3.60. Why should anyone have to tip more?

If you look at the increase to cruise fares it is easy to see that these 'free' promos are incorporated into the base fare. So not really free at all.

That said I can understand why NCL is now charging the gratuities for the promotional UBP and/or the UDP. I just think it is unfair to blame the customer who did not tip over and above the automatic 18%.

Rochelle

I disagree with the notion that the "free" promos are incorporated into the base fare. Last October over Halloween the Getaway aft cabins were @ $2400 and the only promo was $120 OBC. This year if you include the UBP the aft cabin is @ $2700. Even if you include the price increase I would still be getting 2 UBP for the price of 1 saving over $400.

NCL is only making money off people who don't get the UBP.

Paying taxes (mandated by law) and paying "forced gratuities" (mandated by cruise line policy) are two completely different animals. One is dictated by law, the other by greed and ability of slick marketing to think someone is getting something free when it's not. Most likely (at least it is my belief) the "forced gratuity" will most likely cover the base price of the alcohol as paid for by NCL and therefore they don't really lose anything in the deal.

BTW, your friend didn't have to pay the taxes, he simply could have refused the car. Even he had an option.

BTW, you didn't have to pay the "forced gratuities," you simply could have chosen a different package.

That is your excuse, mmm explanation, for stiffing.

As for anybody watching you remove the charges....YOU proudly proclaim it here on the board!;)

I never knew stating fact was considered being proudly. Hmmmm, go figure. :p

I make no excuses. I stated factual information. Whether you agree with or like it or not really doesn't matter to me. So you are free to adjust that disapproving gaze in a different direction because I really don't care what you think. ;)

BTW, you didn't have to pay the "forced gratuities," you simply could have chosen a different package.

I didn't have a package. I chose to go to 3 specialty restaurants on different nights paying for each individually. I then subtracted the gratuity that was required to be paid at the restaurant from the DSC thereby paying what was expected when I booked the cruise.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Sky last weekend and got the "free" UBP. We knew we'd have to pay the "gratuities" on that. On top of that, we tip a dollar for every drink - something I was reconsidering given that we're paying that gratuity up front but also because the service is never that great. It seems that with the packages available, the bar staff is "pushing" drinks less and therefore we'd often have to wait quite some time at the bar and even longer waiting for a server to come around. Ah well, we still got our money's worth.

I write only to mention something that I do not recall happening when we had the drink package on RC (out of Port Canaveral) a couple of months ago. This time, we were out of Miami. When we checked our bill at the end, we noticed that all of the drinks that we had prior to the ship leaving port had more taxes on it. We were told that these were "port taxes" and that this applied "until 7 p.m." Is this usual?

Yes. In some ports you will.pay taxes until you are in international waters. Leaving NY taxes are collected on every drink. We had the UBP, gratuities/service charge showed on every slip, was zeroed out on final bill, but the taxes remain.

Safe sailing

1442025554572.jpg.575e9c86d33b2946f6361f41074e5561.jpg

No. That is for the promo that started in June. $68 pp for a seven day cruise.

Ok, we have only sailed NCL a couple of times several years ago, how does this $68 drink package work, what are the limits etc...

Can you purchase liquor by the bottle from room service like on Carnival?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

Ok, we have only sailed NCL a couple of times several years ago, how does this $68 drink package work, what are the limits etc...

Can you purchase liquor by the bottle from room service like on Carnival?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

You can't purchase a bottle of llquor once onboard unless you want to pay shot by shot, but you can do a "bar set up" ahead of time and the bottle is waiting in your cabin for you. Costs between 80-100 for most bottles and they add a $3 set up fee.

You can't purchase a bottle of llquor once onboard unless you want to pay shot by shot, but you can do a "bar set up" ahead of time and the bottle is waiting in your cabin for you. Costs between 80-100 for most bottles and they add a $3 set up fee.

Unless something changed drastically with the price-hike-bar-menu-update in April, yes you can. The prices for whole bottles were even printed in the menus and about the same as when you pre-purchase the bar setup before the cruise but instead of set up fee you pay normal bar auto-gratuity.

Edited by Demonyte

I didn't have a package. I chose to go to 3 specialty restaurants on different nights paying for each individually. I then subtracted the gratuity that was required to be paid at the restaurant from the DSC thereby paying what was expected when I booked the cruise.

Let me ask yo this. Do you ever call the cruise line after you book and ask for money back OBC if the price drops? If you do maybe you should honor your original booking.

Ok, I am not a rocket scientist but if NCL is going to give me all my drinks for my 7 day cruise for $68.00 tax and service charges, I will be first in line to sign up!

But that is still not good enough for some people. O_o

My "service charge" is $207 for a 10 day trip for 2. plus the mandatory 13%.

That comes out to about 50% discount on our habbit. That is Not free.

Sorry I am trying to figure out your numbers. The value of the UBP, if given to you as a promo is $540 per person for a total of $1080. You would be responsible for the 18% auto gratuity/service charge on that amount which is $194.40. I am really unsure what you are referring to by the 13% mandatory? If what you are referring to is the auto gratuity on drinks when purchased, that is already covered in the $194.40 that will have been paid at final payment. You will not be responsible for anything more. If on the other hand you were referring to the $13.50 pp/pd DSC charge that is something completely different and an amount that is charged whether you ever have a drink or not.

What it boils down to is you will be paying $9.72 per person for unlimited beverages of your choosing (all included in the UBP). It is an excellent deal for many people and a matter of convenience to others. Only you can decide if it is a good deal for you.

Rochelle

Rochelle

My "service charge" is $207 for a 10 day trip for 2. plus the mandatory 13%.

That comes out to about 50% discount on our habbit. That is Not free.

Like Rochelle, I am wondering where you are getting your figures and what is this 13%? Yes, the package is free: gratuities should always be paid. When you buy a discount coupon from a restauatant you are advised to tip on the entire amount. Your way of thinking would be, I am not getting my second meal free cause I am expected to tip 20% on whaat is claimed to be a free meal.

I can assure you, most of us consider the drink package free and we are more than happy to pay the gratuity. Even though we are not huge drinkers we do love a drink or two a day (maybe 3) on the ship and love the idea of not having to worry about what brand we order based on cost. We don't have to buy a wine package when we get on the ship. Now, if we want a brandy after dinner and we might, we aren't concerned about the cost. If you drink more than say, 2 drinks or maybe 3, you have nothing to complain about If you still don't think it is a good idea for you, don't take it, but don't try and say the UBP isn't free.

Edited by newmexicoNita