To Iconcierge or not to Iconcierge that is the question!

pumpkin228

On the Jun 20 GA sailing, it was non-functional 75% of the time for me on both my iPhone 6 and iPad Mini Retina. I troubleshoot technical problems for a living and I spent a while on it, including uninstalling and reinstalling it from scratch multiple times. Most often I would load the app and get the logo and a blank screen. Granted, the big lobby touchscreens also almost never worked right, any time I tried them all week, so maybe it was a backend problem, as I assume both interfaces get their data from the same source.

Edited by perditax

Are you in a suite, because if not forget it. They don't really have the time to deal with non suite guests

and are slow at responding if they do. JMO

How does iconcierge know or care whether your in a suite or not? It works the same for everyone.

I should have also said that sometimes the texts didn't go through and you would have to re-send them but I never had any problem calling phone to phone.

Just to clarify you are saying you can call phone to phone and no long distance or roaming charge?:eek::D

Just to clarify you are saying you can call phone to phone and no long distance or roaming charge?:eek::D

Yes, to phones onboard that have iConcierge installed and the $7.95 per device (one time) activation fee paid. We have only tried the texting/calling feature on Epic and after that experience I wouldn't recommend it but apparently it works better on newer ships/installations (Epic was the first ship in the fleet with iConcierge).

All iConcierge features are listed here (intraship calling/texting is second to last bullet): http://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

Edited by Demonyte

Yes. Each phone with iConceirge will have a phone number. You can also call your room. Just make sure your phone is on airplane mode.

I found it depends on the phone. I have an older Galaxy Light. I would sign in and use one function like checking my onboard account and it would kick me out. I would have to go out and sign in again. My son's Galaxy 5 had no such problems. Needless to say we didn't sign up for the 7.95 texting because my phone wasn't able to stay signed in. Guest Services didn't seem to understand the problem. They would just sign in and say "there you go". Bit of a language problem.

I found it to be glitchy when I was on Breakaway last year, but still worth the $ to be able to easily communicate with dd. actually that is a mixed bag - a little too easy for her to decide she wanted to leave the kids club after half an hour and have me come get her! But seriously, all in all a good app.

Edited by garnet115

I plan on getting it on the BA this October. I really hope it works as well as it did when we were on the Getaway last year. We absolutely LOVED it and it was great for calling and texting the rest of the family to keep up with them. We thought it was definitely worth the $7.95.

I did a review on the app complete with pictures. I will copy and paste for those of you that have not seen what it does and what all is on it. (This was from last year, so correct me if there's anything they have changed or added).

At this time I wanted to take a minute to discuss iConceirge. I believe they only have this on the new ships (correct me if I'm wrong). I will show you screen shots of it and tell you what it does (and what we used it for).

I personally think it was a wonderful system to have for the week (especially if you are traveling with a group). It would also come in handy if you are split up with a spouse, children or whomever you might be traveling with.

The cost is $7.95 for the entire week and well worth it to us to be able to just text each other to find a location to meet or whatever. But, it does much more than that.

I have to start by saying that you must FIRST DOWNLOAD THE APP PRIOR TO CRUISING!! After you are already on your way, you're out of luck. I downloaded mine about a month prior to our cruise so that I wouldn't forget to do it. We did test once we left the port of Miami and were out to sea to see if you could download it while on the cruise...nope. No can do.

So the main page shows you a list of things that the app will do and it's like your homepage.

IMG_0514-L.png

IMG_0517-L.png

Any of these links will take you to another page.

For instance if you chose the Dining category, it would take you to a page that listed every dining option on the ship:

IMG_0510-L.png

Then once you pick a dining place, you go to the next page which will give you a description of the place and what they serve, what deck it is located on, your dress code, and if there's a price then it will list a price as well.

IMG_0513-L.png

At the bottom you can see that you are able to view the menu and also make reservations. I had to try it out and it worked perfect. You pick the day and time, then how many people. Once you have scheduled your reservation, you can go back in and check it.

IMG_0512-L.png

Go to any area, like Shopping, and it will list the individual places and you can click on any of them for the info.

IMG_0509-L.png

IMG_0515-L.png

IMG_0516-L.png

There are pre-programmed Contact information for various services if you need to contact them.

IMG_0518-L.png

You can hit the Contacts button and that would show you who you put in there for your contacts to be able to call or message them. We had one other cruiser in our family that had the app and it let us be able to contact them for breakfast or where to meet.

You do get your "own number", which isn't your phone number, but a number assigned to your app.

You are also able to call anywhere on the ship, rooms, or another cell phone with this app.

We used messaging the most. It was pretty awesome if I say so myself.

There are a few things that I wish they would improve with this program.

* I wish that when you clicked on a venue that instead of it telling you to check the dailies, it would tell you the actual times they are open.

Another thing was the "Account Review". This let you check your account for all of the charges occurred and gives you a balance. However, it will show everything under your name even though it has an option to chose another cruiser in your party. I'm not sure if they are just developing this part and it might change in the future or if it will stay this way.

Either way, if they had this on every ship, I'm sure I would use it.

OK, I just want to double check what people are saying about this APP.

For 7.95, with your phone on airplane mode, and wifi enabled, you can be in touch with other guest- texting and calling?

The NCL website mentions calling people in the US, and receiving calls from the US, and that is for an "additional nominal fee"