Detailed Description Civitavecchia to Rome on Own?

Kiwi Kid

I am guessing that someone, somewhere has done a detailed "how to tour Rome for a day from Civitavecchia" or similar but I can't find it! There must be a "best" way to use the trains/metro to see all the sites - and to minimise walking. Upon our return from vacation my hubby has a kidney transplant scheduled for September so we can't afford to overdo things - nor does he have the energy! I have found a map that I am using as a guide:-

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Civitavecchia

We aren't pushed for time per say in that our cruise finishes in Civitavecchia and we are dropping our luggage at a hotel there. We would like to see the Vatican (not necessary to go inside) and do a tour of the Colosseum, plus the other touristy things. We may opt to stay and have dinner somewhere, but realistically I think DH will be exhausted with the walking and heat (July visit).

Appreciate any input and a push in the right direction. Safe travels.

Doing a day trip on your own in this situation is not advisable. Even if you taxi from the port to the Civitavecchia train station, once you get to Rome, there is a ton of walking at the sights.

I would consider a service like "RomeinLimo" and use their drivers to take you to see the various sights before going to the airport.

If you insist on the on your own tour, you may want to look into some of the Hop on Hop off bus tours to see the sights. They leave from the main train station.

Also don't forget about the heat. Late August and early September, it is still very hot in Rome.

IMHO I would highly advise you not to do an on your own tour day.

Good luck to you and your DH.

July is very hot in Rome. Also lots of tourists.

If this is your first time in Rome while you can do this on your own I too highly recommend a tour.

I am one of those who mixes things up when we visit places. My wife and I do some tour, other times we arrange things on our own, and other times we just walk with a map in hand.

This is one that I think there is so much more upside dong a private tour unless you have been here several time before.

Others wil disagree but since you asked........

Keith

Doing a day trip on your own in this situation is not advisable. Even if you taxi from the port to the Civitavecchia train station, once you get to Rome, there is a ton of walking at the sights.

I would consider a service like "RomeinLimo" and use their drivers to take you to see the various sights before going to the airport.

If you insist on the on your own tour, you may want to look into some of the Hop on Hop off bus tours to see the sights. They leave from the main train station.

Also don't forget about the heat. Late August and early September, it is still very hot in Rome.

IMHO I would highly advise you not to do an on your own tour day.

Good luck to you and your DH.

I'll respectfully disagree with t-car and Keith, thousands of cruisers take a day-trip into Rome by train.

My reading is that you won't be encumbered by luggage (which can be problematic on this very busy train route) and you can return to Civi long after the cruise masses and the commuters. If I've mis-read then my response won't apply - though in any case I wonder why you would want to return to a hotel in Civi if you're flying home from Rome. :confused:

Best advice depends on the depth of your pockets.

Certainly t-car's suggestion of a private tour is much easier (esp with a health issue) & more comprehensive, and Rome in Limo is a well-respected operator. But the cost is eye-watering compared to the train - even if you use a couple of taxi hops in the city rather than the metro or buses, which are free with your train ticket.

There are detailed explanations of travel, and getting around Rome, on this forum - not too difficult to find if you narrow your search by trying an appropriate word or two in the search box at the bottom of the Italy forum.

Or google Ron in Rome - he has a step by step guide, with photos. Some info (eg fares) may be a little out-of-date.

Each to their own ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

First of all, there is no one "best" way to do anything like this, because "best" is so subjective, and affected by so many things, like interests, budget and physical limitations.

I agree with Keith and t car, a private tour is a very effective and efficient use of your limited time in Rome. Rome in Limo is an excellent operation, with a huge thread just down the board with thousands of positive reviews. Again, you have limited time in Rome. Why spend it moving less that efficiently between sites?

Yes, many people have done it entirely on their own- John Bull has some good points. Being physically limited doesn't help you here.

I am guessing that someone, somewhere has done a detailed "how to tour Rome for a day from Civitavecchia" or similar but I can't find it! There must be a "best" way to use the trains/metro to see all the sites - and to minimise walking. Upon our return from vacation my hubby has a kidney transplant scheduled for September so we can't afford to overdo things - nor does he have the energy! I have found a map that I am using as a guide:-

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Civitavecchia

We aren't pushed for time per say in that our cruise finishes in Civitavecchia and we are dropping our luggage at a hotel there. We would like to see the Vatican (not necessary to go inside) and do a tour of the Colosseum, plus the other touristy things. We may opt to stay and have dinner somewhere, but realistically I think DH will be exhausted with the walking and heat (July visit).

Appreciate any input and a push in the right direction. Safe travels.

Google Tom's port guides, he has done one for Civitavecchia/Rome. One caveat, it was done a few years ago so there are some changes within the port itself. But, for within Rome itself, he has a ton of information and his write-up does have a number of maps, including transportation maps.

We will add our support to JB's comments. DW and I have probably made the trek from Civitavecchia to Rome about 20 times (over a lot of years) and have always found it a fun experience. In fact, the only time we were unhappy in Rome was our first visit (about 35 years ago) when we took a tour. In fact, the logistics of Civitavecchia make it one of the better do it yourself ports (although the current relocation of the port entrance/exit does add some hassles).

Hank

(although the current relocation of the port entrance/exit does add some hassles

Yes it does and I fear that this is now a permanent situation. It wouldn't be a problem if they'd stop the port bus as they pass by the fort and allow passengers to get off there in the morning and board there in the afternoon. Maybe that's an improvement we can push for.

First of all, there is no one "best" way to do anything like this, because "best" is so subjective, and affected by so many things, like interests, budget and physical limitations.

I agree with Keith and t car, a private tour is a very effective and efficient use of your limited time in Rome. Rome in Limo is an excellent operation, with a huge thread just down the board with thousands of positive reviews. Again, you have limited time in Rome. Why spend it moving less that efficiently between sites?

Yes, many people have done it entirely on their own- John Bull has some good points. Being physically limited doesn't help you here.

I have seen you recommend Rome in Limo probably 50 times since I joined these boards. One of the things that you never mention, but that is a critical factor, is the cost. Many people cannot afford or are not willing to pay €500 to €600 for an eight hour tour. In the OPs case, sharing probably wouldn't work. When people are asking for tour information, I think it's totally appropriate to mention Rome in Limo. But when people are asking for DIY information, you may want to mention the cost in your posts.

We have been to Rome many times and have never taken a private tour. Yet miraculously we have managed to see all of the major sites and a good many of the minor ones. We are in our sixties, yet find it totally doable.

This OP was asking specifically about a plan to see Rome on their own.

Edited by CathyCruises

I have seen you recommend Rome in Limo probably 50 times since I joined these boards. One of the things that you never mention, but that is a critical factor, is the cost. Many people cannot afford or are not willing to pay €500 to €600 for an eight hour tour. In the OPs case, sharing probably wouldn't work. When people are asking for tour information, I think it's totally appropriate to mention Rome in Limo. But when people are asking for DIY information, you may want to mention the cost in your posts.

We have been to Rome many times and have never taken a private tour. Yet miraculously we have managed to see all of the major sites and a good many of the minor ones. We are in our sixties, yet find it totally doable.

This OP was asking specifically about a plan to see Rome on their own.

I don't stay current on their prices, and I don't inquire into people's financial situation. I simply put the option out there. And, you may have missed, I wasn't the first to do it on this thread.

We have been to Rome several times ourselves, and when we are staying in Rome we don't do a private tour- we walk to everything. But this idea really doesn't apply well to the OP. You will note the OP has a mobility issue which may limit their walking and ability to see as much of Rome as possible.

Lastly, the OP has limited time to see Rome. IMHO it is far more efficient to use anybody who is a local to get a tourist around in as organized a path as possible. Thus my recommendation of a private tour vender was appropriate in my opinion. And you will notice I was not the first to recommend a private tour either.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree that it would be so much easier for passengers going to the train station to be dropped off near the fort, as there is already a bus stop there!

From first-hand reports, coming FROM the train station, you can indeed board near the fort--just a little further down from the old stop. Last year I personally saw passengers getting on buses there. See posts 29-36 on this Thread for more (includes pictures): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46606052#post46606052 Of course, things can change, but other passengers have been able to board there this year.

As far as a good plan, Kiwi Kid, use your map, research opening/closing times and prioritize what you want to see the most.

If sites near the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine are most important, go there first and then work your way to your next priority. (There are fabulous museums in this area, as well, that offer respite from the sun). We usually go there first and then take the bus to near the Pantheon and then walk to Piazza Navona. (Last time we were there on a port day, we ran out of time to do the Pantheon & Piazza.).

If the Vatican is top priority, get off at the stop near there first. You could spend the whole day there, visiting the Museums, St. Peter's Basilica, taking the necropolis tour (pre-booked by emailing the Vatican) and nearby Castel Sant'Angelo.

Others want to stroll between the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps and just take in the great number of Piazzas and churches in Rome.

LOVE this city! There is SO much to see, you can't do it all in a day. We've spent weeks in here and yet know there's still more to come back to time and again.

Happy Travels!

As a long time advocate of DIY days (and long trips) in Europe I will also jump on the cost bandwagon. Some folks apparently have no interest in a budget or money when they travel and we wish we were in that class :). But many of us do care about the cost of things. One reason why DW and I can afford to travel as much as 6 months a year is because we do watch how we spend money. We have also found that when we do things ourselves we generally have more fun then on tours, see more of what we want to see, never have to wait for others to return to a bus, etc etc.

In Civitavecchia one can buy a BIRG ticket (this has been discussed many times on CC) for about 12 Euros (which is now less than $14). That single ticket will cover round trip regional train travel to Rome and also give you the entire days use of Rome's extensive bus and Metro system. Folks taking the cruise line's "on your own" bus transportation will often pay over $100 for a bus which does not include any local transportation. And the bus can often take longer to get to Rome then a train!

And we agree with the previous poster. Rome is a huge city and it would really take at least a week to just see all the highlights. When a cruiser tells me they have been to Rome one time, took a tour, and saw it all, we just shake our head. DW and I have spent many months exploring Italy (driven at least 10,000 miles just within this country) and have yet to explore much of the country.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Appreciate all the suggestions with links and the like. We would love to be in a position to take a private tour but at around the 500 Euro mark, it's beyond our means.

All is very helpful - rather than reinventing the wheel, I will run with someone elses and adjust the costs accordingly. We know that the heat is going to be an issue - where feasible we will take a cab and ensure we take plenty of rests out of it.

And to all the well-wishers - thank you. Up until Thursday we were unsure this trip was going to happen for my DH (I was always going, regardless). We have lived with his illness for 12 years so for there to be light at the end of the tunnel (even if it's a little scary), is a blessing.

Kiwi Kid,

The Hop On, Hop Off tours in Rome were previously mentioned, so I thought I'd pass this along: https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm It compares the various options. While I prefer to DIY, if you are concerned about getting oriented from Point A to Point B, this is another option.

(TIP on the BIRG ticket previously mentioned: if there's a line, buy from the Tabacchi shop inside the train station, from the entrance it will be on the back right. I believe it's cash-only. Last summer, I also saw a man selling them at the "new/temporary" bus stop that connects the port shuttle with the local bus to the train station....curious if buying a BIRG there would save you the .80 Euros for the local bus to the train station....not sure).

Wishing you the best!

Kiwi Kid,

The Hop On, Hop Off tours in Rome were previously mentioned, so I thought I'd pass this along: https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm It compares the various options. While I prefer to DIY, if you are concerned about getting oriented from Point A to Point B, this is another option.

(TIP on the BIRG ticket previously mentioned: if there's a line, buy from the Tabacchi shop inside the train station, from the entrance it will be on the back right. I believe it's cash-only. Last summer, I also saw a man selling them at the "new/temporary" bus stop that connects the port shuttle with the local bus to the train station....curious if buying a BIRG there would save you the .80 Euros for the local bus to the train station....not sure).

Wishing you the best!

I've used the ho-hos during a stay in Rome. Although I'm normally a fan of ho-ho's, in Rome they're pretty poor.

More importantly, for an intensive day-trip they're a major waste of valuable time - the route is uninteresting, and they sit for some considerable time at both Termini station and the Vatican, as well as often getting screwed-up in Rome's traffic. Plus because of unsuitable roads they don't pass close to either Trevi or Spanish Steps, and you won't see places like the Pantheon or Piazza Navone from the bus.

So for a port-of-call visit I strongly advise against the ho-ho's in Rome.

IMHO the best bet for touring Rome DIY is shanks's plus mebbe one or two short taxi hops or a metro ride or two. Or local bus ride or two, as long as you've gotten prior advice on routes etc.

Sounds like syesmar's preferred route is very similar to our own :)

Train to Ostiense station in Rome.

Then short metro hop to Colosseo (if you've already bought your joint Palatine Hill/Colosseum/Forum tickets on the web) or Circo Massimo which is the stop before Colosseo, to buy your tickets from the usually very short line at Palatine Hill & then continue downhill to the Colosseum.

Then through the Forum to the exit near the Vittorio Emanuele memorial (aka "the wedding cake") and on to the Pantheon.

From the Pantheon perhaps through Piazza Navone & walk on to the Vatican, or mebbe make that a bus or taxi ride).

From the Vatican a 10-15 minute walk (or short bus or taxi ride) to San Pietro station for the train back to Civi.

The one significant disadvantage with this route is that by the time it gets to San Pietro the train will probably be packed. You will be able to get on, but you'll very probably have to stand for most or all of the 50 minute ride to Civi. That may not suit the OP's circumstances, in which case planning a route which ends at Termini station (the train's starting point) will very probably guarantee a seat.

Yes, free use of Rome's local buses and metro is included with the BIRG ticket. But I think that only applies to Rome, though I stand to be corrected.

And yes, good advice to buy train tickets at the news/tobacco stand at Civi station. Same price, & avoids any line at the ticket booth.

Ditto one or two places between port & station. And they'll probably give you a little printed note with details of return train times, though mebbe best to get those times on the web shortly before your cruise & confirm them at the station.

All MHO as always. ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Rome in Limo is costly and the drivers are just drivers and not guides. They are not allowed to take you for a tour of the forums, Colisseum, or Vatican. They can walk with you through the modern city of Rome (Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Pantheon), but the experience can costly and limiting. There are licensed guides and companies who do tours (and skip the lines) at reasonable prices. Even it requires a couple of taxis after the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, there is value. We did the limo thing once, but enjoyed our day in on the train much more and felt we had a better experience.