Speaking of Plugs - Carnival "approved" Surge Protector

roberooski

Is there a "Carnival Approved" mutli-outlet Surge Protector? I am cruising with me and 2 15 year old girls. Can you imagine us all trying to use 1 plug? THE HORROR! LOL!!

Between the iPhones, hair straighteners (which, yes, I will ensure that they are unplugged EVERY time), etc, it would be a nightmare without the opportunity to expand the number of useful plugs in the room.

Thanks!

Thanks! Was going to order a brand new one from Amazon - can't imagine they'd confiscate a brand new one, right?

So no surge protection, but a Multi-Outlet is ok? AHA!! Just looked on Amazon and I forgot about what they call "outlet adapters", which basically just ADD a few more plugging options. I was picturing getting a surge protector thingy because of it's multi-outlet option, but I DO see that you can get the outlet adapters for same thing without the surge protection!

Edited by roberooski

Is there a "Carnival Approved" mutli-outlet Surge Protector? I am cruising with me and 2 15 year old girls. Can you imagine us all trying to use 1 plug? THE HORROR! LOL!!

Between the iPhones, hair straighteners (which, yes, I will ensure that they are unplugged EVERY time), etc, it would be a nightmare without the opportunity to expand the number of useful plugs in the room.

Thanks!

I bring a Belkin Surge Protector. It is compact, not taking up much room. You plug it in & there are outlets on either side.

Ok - I can pack both and see what happens. The only other thing is this: does anyone have a picture of the outlet on (crossing my fingers) the Fascination (or are they all the same? I've been on enough Carnival cruises - I should know this by now!!!)?? I want to make sure I get what will work

Ok - I can pack both and see what happens. The only other thing is this: does anyone have a picture of the outlet on (crossing my fingers) the Fascination (or are they all the same? I've been on enough Carnival cruises - I should know this by now!!!)?? I want to make sure I get what will work

They've been almost the same on the four Fantasy ships I've been on. The only difference is some have a UK 220v outlet and others have an European 220v outlet. The American outlet has been identical.

Thanks! Was going to order a brand new one from Amazon - can't imagine they'd confiscate a brand new one, right?

So no surge protection, but a Multi-Outlet is ok? AHA!! Just looked on Amazon and I forgot about what they call "outlet adapters", which basically just ADD a few more plugging options. I was picturing getting a surge protector thingy because of it's multi-outlet option, but I DO see that you can get the outlet adapters for same thing without the surge protection!

There are also multiple USB chargers that do not have surge suppressors, and that are even cheaper than the Belkin, which does have a surge suppressor.

This is a good, compact option for traveling that doesn't have a surge protector. It had four outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F9YN2M/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=3RI16562PKTAR&coliid=I1ZFAVUNHIUG6&vs=1

OMG that's awesome! I wanted to see a pic because I was worried about making the plug "fit" (I know that the plug on this ship is set in a way that it's on it's side....this is PERFECT!

I did not know this rule. I have brought a surge protector with me on 3 Carnival cruises, including one last week, and never had an issue.

then you have been lucky. its still against the rules and they could confiscate it the next time you cruise

OMG that's awesome! I wanted to see a pic because I was worried about making the plug "fit" (I know that the plug on this ship is set in a way that it's on it's side....this is PERFECT!

THANKS ALL!!! I ended up ordering this one. Cruise Critic members are awesome!

[ATTACH]355945[/ATTACH]

I bring one of these. It has a USB port for the Iphone or other electronics plus 3 outlets. Never had a problem

Thanks I should look for one of these with the USB ports. I have a simple 3 outlet from a $1 store and never has any issues, (the kind that can fold to fit behind furniture) Finding one with USB's will also save an additional bulky plug to use.

I've taken a surge protector type with me for years and have never had a problem.

One precaution is to not overload the outlet, plugging in too many things at once or you will trip the circuit breaker and not have any outlet until someone comes to reset it.

I've taken a surge protector type with me for years and have never had a problem.

One precaution is to not overload the outlet, plugging in too many things at once or you will trip the circuit breaker and not have any outlet until someone comes to reset it.

Chances are good you never will have an issue, but I can absolutely understand their concern. A consumer-grade surge suppressor is (was?) designed to protect expensive electronics from high-voltage transients (less of a concern now than it was 20 years ago, but I'll explain later). They work by sensing a high-voltage condition and shunting that current back into the supply, but in doing so, they (especially *consumer-grade* equipment) can get very, very, very hot. This would be bad enough in a business office or even a home, but much worse on a crowded cruise ship.

Anyhow, the reason I say they aren't as important as they used to be: Early PC's had a lot of electronics which were, frankly, "early efforts". Switching power supplies and the high-voltage section of CRT's often failed for no apparent reason, and manufacturers, sometimes even managing to keep a straight face, blamed "voltage transients". Retailers loved it because it offered a chance for an up-sell, consumers liked them since it made them feel more in control of an unpredictable and but potentially high cost.

While power supplies and computing devices have gotten much more reliable, surge suppressors have not always done so, and continue to be subject to frequent warnings about shock and fire hazards. As surge suppressors "age", the components in them become more prone to catastrophic failure.

TL;DR: If you can get a "plain jane" power strip, they are a good investment and may have useful things like USB ports which are much more useful these days.