Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?

fstuff1

More nickel and diming?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. More nickel and diming?

• Yes
    • No

I don't pay $30 for a steak at Applebee's and then separately for my sides.

Also, and this is just my opinion, I believe the SDP will be done away with very soon if people are willing to pay for specialties a la carte.

NCL Main courses will still include a side or two. It's the appetizer and dessert that will be charged separately, just like Applebee's!

As far as the issue at hand goes, this is a ridiculous move on the part of NCL, just more paper work to sign and be charged for, more people won't experience the wonderful flavours and dining on the perception of nickel and diming, if it's a question of want and waste by all means impose a cost for additional items.

PS: Told you Max, one sided nonsense

Edited by MrJoeBlack

NCL Main courses will still include a side or two. It's the appetizer and dessert that will be charged separately, just like Applebee's!

Thank you - I don't know why that is such hard concept for some people to grasp right now regarding the a la carte pricing.Its exactly like Applebees - Even the prices are similar. I will not be surprise if the desserts on NCL are similarly price like Applebees at $5.99-7.99.

Thank you - I don't know why that is such hard concept for some people to grasp right now regarding the a la carte pricing.Its exactly like Applebees - Even the prices are similar. I will not be surprise if the desserts on NCL are similarly price like Applebees at $5.99-7.99.

Here's some food for thought, People that go on cruises don't want to eat at an Applebee's they can do that on land after their Wal-Mart shopping in their yoga pants and beer T-Shirts, flat rate is a much better approach as opposed to this new concept

Have you seen a menu? How do you know this? True a la carte menus would charge separately for sides.

If FDR's goal is to increase guest spending by $5/day, this is an odd way to go about it.

As as been discussed (ad nauseum) on here, the people who stand to lose the most by this change are the folks who only eat 1 or 2 meals in the specialties. My family falls into this category. So, what are we going to do? It seems like NCL is counting on us saying, "Well, we are paying more anyway, might as well just buy the UDP." At least in our case, that would be a miscalculation on their part. Obviously, since we usually only do 1 upcharge restaurant per 7 day trip, it isn't a huge part of our cruise experience anyway. It is a much easier decision to skip it altogether than it is to pay more for an extended package that doesn't suit our dining preferences. I imagine a healthy percentage of people who are in this category will come to the same conclusion, so NCL is losing out on our money. It seems like they are rolling the dice that the additional charges/additional UDP purchases will offset the losses from folks like us who just decide not to bother with it.

Here's some food for thought, People that go on cruises don't want to eat at an Applebee's they can do that on land after their Wal-Mart shopping in their yoga pants and beer T-Shirts, flat rate is a much better approach as opposed to this new concept

Umm, they technically are eating at Applebees / Ruby Tuesday / Chili / etc, except its on a cruise ship and not on land. You're forgetting that NCL dress code is freestyle and yoga pants plus beer T-shirts is out of place there along with polo shirts / bermuda shorts / khakis / sundresses / etc... Plus NCL is step up from Carnival when it comes to specialty dining - Its no Michelin-rated or Capital Grill but its no McDonalds either; its closer to Applebees / Ruby Tuesday, which I don't mind but I've had been better.

If still want the 'flat rate' of all you can eat, that's what the UDP/SDP is for - otherwise stay from the specialty restaurants with its Applebee / Chili pricing.

You should be glad that if you're going to play laydown some of us stand up to being price gouged. This is now basically what, the third price increase for NCL specialty this year?

There is no price increase for me. I get the UDP.

Didn't UDP do up in price this spring and has now been replaced going forward by SDP? How do costs compare across UDP pre and post increase? Is SDP more or somewhere between?

UDP is dead.

SDP is what is being sold - prices are for the 3 January 2016 Getaway.

3 days = 69.92

4 days = 87.32

5 days = 105.02

6 days = 122.72

7 days = 140.42

The nice thing is that you can buy it for 3 days.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

The price that was offered for UDP recently was $141 (a month ago). We paid $119 for this cruise before NCL was giving it as an incentive.

Edited by PaulMCO

If FDR's goal is to increase guest spending by $5/day, this is an odd way to go about it.

As as been discussed (ad nauseum) on here, the people who stand to lose the most by this change are the folks who only eat 1 or 2 meals in the specialties. My family falls into this category. So, what are we going to do? It seems like NCL is counting on us saying, "Well, we are paying more anyway, might as well just buy the UDP." At least in our case, that would be a miscalculation on their part. Obviously, since we usually only do 1 upcharge restaurant per 7 day trip, it isn't a huge part of our cruise experience anyway. It is a much easier decision to skip it altogether than it is to pay more for an extended package that doesn't suit our dining preferences. I imagine a healthy percentage of people who are in this category will come to the same conclusion, so NCL is losing out on our money. It seems like they are rolling the dice that the additional charges/additional UDP purchases will offset the losses from folks like us who just decide not to bother with it.

DH and I go to Le Bistro once, just the two of us. At least we did on our last NCL cruise and we are again on this upcoming cruise. And on this cruise, sailing on Sunday, the whole family is eating at Cagney's once. So we also fall into the one or two specialties category, with the rest of our dinners in the MDR. However, we have also cruised without doing any specialty restaurants and we didn't feel like we missed out on anything by eating dinner in the MDR every night. I'll have to see menus first to see if a la carte would be worth it for us to eat at Le Bistro for our one dinner without the kids. If not, the MDR is an option for us, for future cruises on NCL.

Who knows what our future cruises will bring anyway? We cruise every other year and we aren't tied to one particular cruise line, so which cruise we book will be based on a lot of different factors, and specialty restaurants are not the very top priority for us. Plus in two years time, many things can change on different cruise lines.

Since it's not a required purchase, I don't consider it nickel and diming. It's offering something additional to passengers that they can either choose to buy, or choose not to.

I agree with LrgPizza. It changes the spirit of things in a way that is not pleasant, but it's not nickel and diming. Since we usually only eat one appetizer, we'll probably come out even, but I know others will pay more. I guess I prefer it to an overall price increase in the cover charge for these restaurants. I know from my weekly supermarket bill how quickly food prices are going up.

We have been cruising twice a year for the last several years and all have been on NCL. Our First cruise was with them and we have been loyal ever since. If this change is truly implemented as it is now stated we will be definitely looking at changing cruise lines after the the two cruise that we now have booked. This just changes the whole dynamics of the experience. We typically do one 7 day and one longer repositioning cruise each year. As platinum members we get two free meals each trip in La Bistro and we generally will eat in the other specialty restaurants several times on each trip. If we were to Continue with NCL that number will be reduced.

Edited by RedF

I think people are underestimating the percentage of cruisers who fall in your (and my) category of only going to the specialties 1 or 2 times per cruise, and for whom the UDP and even its replacement aren't really good options. Menus aren't out yet, but if we go off of the guidelines of $5/20/5 for app/entrée/desert, which is on the low end of the range, one may break even; any thing above that and they'd pay more.

Also, its been suggested that those who just want apps or desserts would benefit. Which I guess is true, but is that a sizeable percentage of cruisers? Is the quality for those items that much higher at the specalities than the free options such that it is worth it to pay just for those items? Legitimately curious as I really doubt that I'd head over to a specialty for just an a la carte dessert (as opposed to using a free option such as the buffet or MDR) but maybe the demand is there.

We have been cruising twice a year for the last several years and all have been on NCL. Our First cruise was with them and we have been loyal ever since. If this change is truly implemented as it is now stated we will be definitely looking at changing cruise lines after the the two cruise that we now have booked. This just changes the whole dynamics of the experience. We typically do one 7 day and one longer repositioning cruise each year. As platinum members we get two free meals each trip in La Bistro and we generally will eat in the other specialty restaurants several times on each trip. If we were to Continue with NCL that number will be reduced.

Then you simply don't understand the math, as many here obviously don't. You can still "eat in specialty restaurants several times on each trip" by merely buying the SDP for the number of days you plan to dine in them. You will be paying approximately $21 or so after gratuities for your meals in Le Bistro, Cagney's, etc. Sounds like a good deal to me. As has been stated repeatedly, the only people negatively affected by this are those who would eat in one of those 3 specialty restaurants just 1 or 2 times total per cruise.

I think people are underestimating the percentage of cruisers who fall in your (and my) category of only going to the specialties 1 or 2 times per cruise, and for whom the UDP and even its replacement aren't really good options. Menus aren't out yet, but if we go off of the guidelines of $5/20/5 for app/entrée/desert, which is on the low end of the range, one may break even; any thing above that and they'd pay more.

Also, its been suggested that those who just want apps or desserts would benefit. Which I guess is true, but is that a sizeable percentage of cruisers? Is the quality for those items that much higher at the specalities than the free options such that it is worth it to pay just for those items? Legitimately curious as I really doubt that I'd head over to a specialty for just an a la carte dessert (as opposed to using a free option such as the buffet or MDR) but maybe the demand is there.

I'm also in the category of one or two specialties per cruise. I also wouldn't go to a specialty restaurant just for one appetizer and one dessert. I also wouldn't like the stress of planning how much we would spend if we order the most expensive menu items vs. the least expensive items. However, I do think that many people who normally go to two specialty restaurants per cruise might now consider the 3-day package because they can go to one extra specialty for just X amount of dollars more, while having the peace of mind that they know exactly what is spent on specialties and can budget accordingly. That makes NCL more money as well. Smart move on their part to first implement the option of a 3-day dining package for 7-night cruises, and then officially announce a la carte pricing at their most popular restaurants. So people think they're getting a great deal and buy the new product whereas they wouldn't have purchased a package before.

Edited by bangzoom6877

What you can say goodbye to is the Platinum discount for specialty dining packages. Under the new pricing structure, passengers can decide to purchase multiple nights regardless of the length of the cruise. Rather than UDP only which covered the entire length of the cruise.

Platinum still receive one dinner for two at select specialty venues (plus wine). Until NCL decides to erode that particular perk. It was painfully difficult to find an open seat at LeBistro during my November cruise on Jewel, but we will see how things progress in the future.

The thing for me about the a la carte vs the cover charge is that with the cover charge model, I usually get 2 apps & sometimes 2 deserts (don't judge, LOL ) for one fixed price. & it was a great deal.

I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a foodie. The cost to do that on land based restaurants is cost prohibited for me. Having this option while cruising is fun & a great value. Now, not so much, so I'll just stick to the MDR's, (and yes sometimes I get 2 entree's :))

I cruise like a Norwegian and eat like a Hobbit

Edited by JuneauMe

The thing for me about the a la carte vs the cover charge is that with the cover charge model, I usually get 2 apps & sometimes 2 deserts (don't judge, LOL ) for one fixed price. & it was a great deal.

I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a foodie. The cost to do that on land based restaurants is cost prohibited for me. Having this option while cruising is fun & a great value. Now, not so much, so I'll just stick to the MDR's, (and yes sometimes I get 2 entree's :))

I cruise like a Norwegian and eat like a Hobbit

Yeah, we're not exactly gluttons, but we might get 2 apps each or 3 between the two of us. I think the whole "people are getting 9 entrees and 40 desserts" thing is mythical.

I know that I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a foodie.

For the record, I would also consider myself a foodie, and that is the reason why we don't bother with the upcharge restaurants. The quality is not that great - not drastically different than the MDRs.

On our last NCL cruise, we decided to do some research and spend those discretionary dining dollars on excellent meals at our port cities. Those were AWESOME experiences and AMAZING food! A much better way to have a great culinary experience on a cruise trip than forking over extra cash for a not-really-that-great upcharge restaurant on board.

Yeah, we're not exactly gluttons, but we might get 2 apps each or 3 between the two of us. I think the whole "people are getting 9 entrees and 40 desserts" thing is mythical.

Here's the thing, the apps are usually very small anyway, so it's not that big of a deal (eg the shrimp cocktail with 3 shrimp, I could easily eat 2) Now desert...well I have a sweet tooth :o

On our last NCL cruise, we decided to do some research and spend those discretionary dining dollars on excellent meals at our port cities. Those were AWESOME experiences and AMAZING food! A much better way to have a great culinary experience on a cruise trip than forking over extra cash for a not-really-that-great upcharge restaurant on board.

That's such a good idea!!!! :)