Never cruised in summer, what am I in for?

I agree with a previous poster that the Caribbean can be pretty uniformly hot and humid year-round, with pop-up downpours. I could cope with all of that.

Other people's kids are my deal-breaker in the summer and during school breaks. During the school year their numbers are manageable. But when so many are onboard that the children's facilities become maxed out and packs of them are allowed to roam unsupervised at all hours, it can get noisy and unpleasant in many places.

We were in Roatan in late April and it was miserable. So, I would consider an E CRB in the summer more than W CRB. Am not a big fan of W CRB itin's anyway.

We were in Roatan on Carnival Dream in June of 2010. I will always remember that as one of our hottest port stops EVER! That, and Cabo in July, 2009.

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet a vacation to Hawaii will be far more expensive than a cruise during summertime!!! If you're looking for a cheaper option, you can cruise in August, which is cheaper than June and July, and you can look for a non-Florida departure port. If you truly want a land based vacation, I'd suggest going to an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. If you're 2 adults, look at Secrets resorts in either Punta Cana, Mexico (although Mexico would be at the bottom of my list), Jamaica or costs rica (the secrets resort in Costa Rica doesn't open until this November). I would also highly recommend the Couples resorts in Jamaica, but they aren't cheap (I've been to couples swept away in Negril and it was amazing- but 3 times the price i'm paying for my summer cruise). Sandals are supposed to be nice but I haven't been to one, but they've got them all over the place and their resorts include water sports (including free scuba diving!).

Price is not the determining factor in this but worth noting of course.

We'll (couple) be doing a Jr Suite on these potential cruises. About 4K each (on Indy or Freedom) for those. The latter part of August is out too fwiw.

Maui is our "go to" favorite land based vacation spot going on 10 years now. Weather is just awesome year around. Helps that I can fly "free" with miles but it takes quite a few! I go through ****.com for condos there. Have my favorites and most people would be amazed that it doesn't have to cost a arm and a leg for a very nice condo/location there.

I appreciate your other ideas and suggestions very much though. In fact, I'm poking around and looking at options!

I'm thinking this summer cruise business (Caribbean in the summer specifically) might not be for me! Tons of kids and the over crowding probably would bother me the worst I think.

Again, thanks for all the input folks! Feel free to continue. :)

Price is not the determining factor in this but worth noting of course.

We'll (couple) be doing a Jr Suite on these potential cruises. About 4K each (on Indy or Freedom) for those. The latter part of August is out too fwiw.

Maui is our "go to" favorite land based vacation spot going on 10 years now. Weather is just awesome year around. Helps that I can fly "free" with miles but it takes quite a few! I go through ****.com for condos there. Have my favorites and most people would be amazed that it doesn't have to cost a arm and a leg for a very nice condo/location there.

I appreciate your other ideas and suggestions very much though. In fact, I'm poking around and looking at options!

I'm thinking this summer cruise business (Caribbean in the summer specifically) might not be for me! Tons of kids and the over crowding probably would bother me the worst I think.

Again, thanks for all the input folks! Feel free to continue. :)

Oh ok gotcha! Going to Hawaii sounds awesome then :) if I ever go I'll have to look into renting a condo instead of doing a resort, sounds like that could be a great way to go, thanks!

If you ever decided to venture to a Caribbean all inclusive, the resorts I mentioned are adults only, just FYI for future reference :)

Sea days do have a typical breeze, but if you are in the solarium of an Oasis class you may not notice it as much.

I'll remember to check out the solarium if I go on the allure or oasis (which I plan to try in the near future). This trip I'm going on the Adventure, but I will try their solarium as well since I've never been able to use it before (I've always had a small child in tow, but she's a teenager now so I can do grown up

Stuff finally!!)

We were last month on Indy Eastern Caribbean early June .. so not a really high # of kids ... but yea it was horribly HOT !!

Even sea days were nasty hot up on the pool deck but still we enjoyed.

The one thing really nice about summer cruising tho is that the daylight is longer ... loved that.

But yes ... esp on those stops in St Maarten and St Kitts ... its so blisteringly horrifically searingly hot you cant believe it.

Edited by F27TW

We're sailing on Allure in March 2016 for our daughter's high school graduation gift pre-graduation because I refuse to do anymore summer cruises! Son in college, daughter going to college! Hubby and mom free to travel whenever we want!!! YAY!!!!!

Just something to think about, but March cruises have quite a few kids aboard due to spring break. We had looked at a March 2016 cruise as well, but then checked a number of school calendars to see the range of spring break week dates. We ended up choosing mid-April instead, as most breaks are over by then.

I will NEVER do that again. Yes, there were lots of kids of all ages but frankly, they were not the issue as overall, they were reasonably well-behaved.

The insufferable heat and humidity was the big turn-off. Unless I was in the water, I was completely miserable. I am a Florida Gulf Coast native and I live elsewhere where summers are shorter as I cannot tolerate sticky, hot weather.

Bermuda in cooler months is wonderful as it is a beautiful, quiet place. I'm glad I visited again when the weather was cooler.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Just something to think about, but March cruises have quite a few kids aboard due to spring break. We had looked at a March 2016 cruise as well, but then checked a number of school calendars to see the range of spring break week dates. We ended up choosing mid-April instead, as most breaks are over by then.

I second this statement! We cruised in march and it was the busiest vacation I've ever been on besides Disney in June. Although if you adjust for the size of the ship vs the Disney park, I'd say they were equally crowded. Our state does spring break during the last week of march but I have friends in other states who have them the week before and have heard of people having spring breaks into the first 2 weeks of April. So maybe if you go in march it should be the first two weeks of march to avoid the kids and families. Last cruise I took was the last week of February/first week of march (overlapping) and there were so few kids that my daughter couldn't even do adventure ocean. So perhaps consider feb as well.

Winter; cooler, windier ports and possible sea conditions. Grumpy old people in way too many mobility scooters clogging up the windjammer morning noon and night.

Summer; hotter and humid. Full pools. Lots of kids and more spread out demographics. Busy windjammer, but it moves and the younger crowd has an easier time of making up their minds. WAY better eye candy too. :D

Thinking about a last minute B2B (Eastern/Western Caribbean). Have went on many of these (always RCI and mostly Freedom class) but always in the winter. Assume heat/humidity at the ports will be pretty nasty. What about sea days? Plenty windy and not crazy hot?

More kids on board? What else might differ a little from what I'm used to? I know the prices on these summer cruises are CRAZY high compared to what I'm used to.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, input, etc.!!

The closest to summer we've ever cruised was at the end of May. The heat and humidity nearly killed us. NEVER AGAIN! :p

Edited by Ladysilver

Ugh. The hottest I have ever been was in Rome in July. Awful. But we were in Rome. :) But it was miserable.

True - it is hot there too!

We actually drank a beer in the Vatican courtyard... surely this must be wrong?... but it was cold and refreshing. Too funny. :D

Thinking about a last minute B2B (Eastern/Western Caribbean). Have went on many of these (always RCI and mostly Freedom class) but always in the winter. Assume heat/humidity at the ports will be pretty nasty. What about sea days? Plenty windy and not crazy hot?

More kids on board? What else might differ a little from what I'm used to? I know the prices on these summer cruises are CRAZY high compared to what I'm used to.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, input, etc.!!

You are in for a wonderful cruise.

Is it summer.. YES, but the average temperature in St. Marteen in August is only 4 degrees warmer than April (88F versus 84F), and in Cozumel the average foes up from 86 to 91.

Will there be children, Yes most likely, but they have their areas and we adults have ours...

Have a great trip....

Edited by ChattTN
Spelling

continue with my "never cruised in the summer" status (at least for Caribbean type sailings)!!

The packed ships, lots of kids (we raised 3 so it's not like I "hate kids", lol) and perhaps the biggest negative...HEAT/HUMIDITY. Packed ship, lots of kids ( I'm sure the heat affects their temperament at times too) just doesn't sound too appealing!!

I skimmed this thread and clipped a few of the comments about the weather. Gets the point across quite well and makes for a humorous read imo! lol

"It's hot! Even on sea days when you're at the pool and there's a breeze, it's hot and humid! Can you tell I think it's hot and humid???"

"Coco Cay was unbearable hot with no breeze"

"Kids , heat , humidity and pop up showers and thunderstorms and more kids."

"The walk off the ship to catch the little boat over to the tourist area about killed me."

"but yea it was horribly HOT !!"

"Even sea days were nasty hot"

"The insufferable heat and humidity.. I was completely miserable"

"The heat and humidity nearly killed us. NEVER AGAIN!"

I'm not saying I'll never try it but it looks a little doubtful! :)

I realize folks with families and kids in school don't have the luxury of being picky about when they're able to cruise. I'm able to pick and choose when/where I go with no children now, etc.

Love all the responses and appreciate them too!!

You are in for a wonderful cruise.

Is it summer.. YES, but the average temperature in St. Marteen in August is only 4 degrees warmer than April (88F versus 84F), and in Cozumel the average foes up from 86 to 91.

Will there be children, Yes most likely, but they have their areas and we adults have ours...

Have a great trip....

You posted as I was writing up my "not going to do it" post! I believe I'm going to pass for now!

Thanks for the reply though!

Just did B2B in the Caribbean and the weather wasn't a problem as I'm used to hot and humid summer months but at least the islands had sea breezes and beaches. The great thing about the summer trips is we were always the only ship docked at port so none of the beaches or attractions were crazy packed with tourists. I've done several trips when kids were out of school and sure it gets a little noisier but never really had any problems until this last cruise as I have never experienced these quincinera girls before. WOW the group of quincinera girls on the ship were out of control, they never had curfews, they were extremely rude and disrespectful and I hope I never have to be on a cruise with a group like that again. Unless something changes and RCCL does something about it (which of course they won't) I'll sail on Disney during the summer as maybe it's the higher price point but I've never seen the big groups of 15 yr old girls on them before (hopefully that hasn't changed)