First CCruise Where Sharing A Table With Strangers

stoddaj1

We always ask for a table for two. However, those two tops are so close together we always make friends with our neighbors...it is just awkward to pretend they aren't RIGHT THERE.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Edited by DHnDWplus2

After sharing tables once or twice, we usually ask for and get a small table just big enough for our party (normally 4 or 6). If we had to sit with strangers again, I'd be off to the Lido every night for dinner.

Just ask the maître d' to change your table.

I've been seated next to a man who hadn't showered in about 10 years, with a man who asked a woman from Columbia to show him her Uzi, a former patient, a guy who sneezed 15 times all over the entire table when he got his entrée and put too much pepper on it--w/ covering his nose.

Then there was the retired post office man when someone said they wondered how OJ would fare in prison--"What, he only killed a woman and a Jew."

Other times had great table mates.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

And this boys and girls is why we do YTD. After they stuck the spoons to their noses did they make farting noises with their arm pits? :cool:

Was this answer even relevant to this thread??? The topic is sharing a table, not why you do YTD. :confused: I really wonder why people see the need to answer with off topic info, maybe to see their words in print??:confused: YTD doesn't mean you won't see Bubba in his tank top, flip flops and ball cap, chewin' bacco and spitting in his glass at the table next to you!!! And now back to our topic....:)

Actually, our other 6 table mates (not the bore, he was too busy talking to himself about something, maybe YTD) and the entire back half of the dining room ENJOYED the spoon thing. They must have had some boring table mates as well...:D And yes the servers brought them separate spoons (and cold glasses of water) to play with.....:)

My wife and I have always travelled alone. The first few cruises we were nervous about eating with strangers, and admittedly, on our last few cruises we have requested a table for two.

However, when we are reminiscing of past cruises it seems that some of our fondest memories are about sharing a table with strangers.

I assure you they might be strangers at first, but soon they are like long time friends.

QTPie :cool:

Was this answer even relevant to this thread??? The topic is sharing a table, not why you do YTD. :confused: I really wonder why people see the need to answer with off topic info, maybe to see their words in print??:confused: YTD doesn't mean you won't see Bubba in his tank top, flip flops and ball cap, chewin' bacco and spitting in his glass at the table next to you!!! And now back to our topic....:)

Actually, our other 6 table mates (not the bore, he was too busy talking to himself about something, maybe YTD) and the entire back half of the dining room ENJOYED the spoon thing. They must have had some boring table mates as well...:D And yes the servers brought them separate spoons (and cold glasses of water) to play with.....:)

But, at YTD you can be seated with other people at a table. This is what happened to us with the guy calling me a name. If you don't want to experience any of that stuff, ask for a table for 2 and avoid all interaction with people that have been mentioned. No one here can say that sitting with others will be good or bad. Sit down and take your chances.

We have had mixed results with large tables, and do not like the "tables for two" that are two inches apart; but the worst was when we have been placed at a table for four with strangers. The one time the other couple asked if we would like to split a bottle of wine. When we told them that we are non-drinkers, they kept asking and even offered to pay. We tried to politely tell them that we do not drink for health reasons, but for some reason they seemed offended. They were replaced the next night by a couple who nodded and grunted once or twice and never said a word. It was very unpleasant. With a larger table, you can move to a different spot in the circle, if things get weird.

OP, IMHO, your best option is YTD. You can be either seated at a large table or a table for two. If you are seated at a large table: chances are you will not dine with the cruisers at the table again for the duration of the cruise, that is unless you make a specific request. When we are asked the type of table and what area of the MDR we want; our reply is "Anywhere". We really enjoy YTD because we get to meet and have "table talk" with different cruisers. Plus, you can eat when you are hungry and not on a fixed schedule.

If you prefer to eat early or late, and if you find that you do not like a person(s) at your table; you can always ask the M'D to be changed. If you are unhappy with your tablemates; do not hesitate to exercise this option. We have done this a couple of times and have never been refused. Moreover, in both instances we have found cruisers with whom we still correspond on a regular basis. Hope this helps you and have a FANTASTIC cruise.

:):) Hey!! BA! It sounds like you had the same person we had on one cruise. Note, this was the ONLY time we almost requested to move to another table.

Hey jwjax - hope you guys are doing well. Have been away from Carnival a couple of years (defected to Princess) but came back to CC to catch up on stuff before our October cruise :) Take care!

Heading on our first cruise where we will be travelling without a group. Dinner in the MDR has always been the highlight of our day. When booking we selected a table for 6 which means we will be with 4 strangers and are a bit apprehensive about this. Just wondering what experiences others may have had in a similar situation. Thanks

We have always sat with strangers in the DMR and have met some very interesting and exciting people. On several occasions we have made friendships that went beyond the cruise and once had a couple we met come visit us (we lived across the U.S. from each other) in CA and stay at our home. We had a great time with them.

We usually travel with our DS (since he was 9...he's now 20 and we still cruise together as a family) and we have always been seated with other families that had kids the same age as our DS. He's still in touch via social media with many of the friends he's made on our many cruises.

I hope you too get seated with some amazing people and enjoy your cruise.:D

No option but to dine alone is one of the things keeping us away from NCL again. We enjoy meeting who knows who and taking the luck of the draw. Its bringing us back to Carnival. Perhaps fortunately, but our careers have taught us to get along with anyone and if nothing else its like people watching at the mall but at a more intimate level! Even the folks who are at the polar opposite of our belief's have been cordial, interesting and educating for us.

I've done this several time sailing as a single, the two that stand out was a table with much older people than me...we had a blast they had led such interesting lives and were full of great stories, one of the ladies in the group was a drinker so we took turns buying each other the specialty shot and dinner. The Older gentleman in crowd, would even find me at breakfast and we would eat together, because, his words " my women like to sleep in".

The other was with a group, of northerners 4 couples and myself and another single guy. The couples were all about my parents age. Only two of the couples were fun and one woman, her husband was a jerk. Everyone else seemed to look down on rest of us. The single guy was a stick in the mud.

All in all its good to meet different people.

I always sail solo and thus I'm always put at a large table of either solos or small groups. My last trip on the Breeze, I was put at a table for 11, but only two other people showed up the first night. I spoke to the maitre d' and requested another table, with hopefully more people, which was thankfully granted. Incidentally, no one else ever showed up at my former table, and the two dined alone at the large table the entire cruise...

No option but to dine alone is one of the things keeping us away from NCL again. We enjoy meeting who knows who and taking the luck of the draw. Its bringing us back to Carnival. Perhaps fortunately, but our careers have taught us to get along with anyone and if nothing else its like people watching at the mall but at a more intimate level! Even the folks who are at the polar opposite of our belief's have been cordial, interesting and educating for us.

As an FYI, you can request to dine with others on NCL. I've done it (though one night I wished I hadn't).

we have lucked out and have had good table mates for 3 of our 5 criuses that we did scheduled dining. the other 2 were atd. we had people seated with us that were close in age from all over the place. we made some gopod friends who we still talk to. Only issue was had was on our 4 day cruise the one lady at our table was so annoying that we skipped dinner the last night cause i couldnt taker her complaining anymore.

Hey jwjax - hope you guys are doing well. Have been away from Carnival a couple of years (defected to Princess) but came back to CC to catch up on stuff before our October cruise :) Take care!

Hey again BA.....Question.....does Princess offer shared tables with assigned seating at the MDR's still.? If so, even though it may be slightly off topic, are your experiences on Princess much different than CCL??

I saw another post here about NCL and their Freestyle dining. We were not fans of this freestyle dining some much, but I also saw another post stating you could ask for a shared table? Ever been on NCL??

Out of about 19 or so cruises, only once, as I described previously, we have not had an enjoyable group of people at shared tables, (and then it was only 1 person), on any cruise line we have sailed. Try it you may like it!:)

SO, if you have never shared a table in the MDR for dinner, before committing to assigned seating with a group for dinner each night, maybe try the same thing at breakfast or lunch to see how you may or may not like that kind of experience/atmosphere while enjoying your meals. :):)

Once, my husband and I were seated at a table for ten. The first night we showed up, cocktails in hand, and felt a little uneasy because everyone at the table was drinking milk and was staring at our drinks. At the time we thought they were all "friends of Bill." Other than that we stayed with them all week.

Edited by DKane
Grammar

Once, my husband and I were seated at a table for ten. The first night we showed up, cocktails in hand, and felt a little uneasy because everyone at the table was drinking milk and was staring at our drinks. At the time we thought they were all "friends of Bill." Other than that we stayed with them all week.

We've had good experiences and a couple not so good. The best was when we took our son and 2 of his buddies on a graduation cruise and we were placed at a table with another couple, their son, and 2 daughters. That made for interesting conversation pretty much every evening. The worst was our last cruise on RCL when we were placed at a large table for 12 but it was just my wife and I along with 1 other couple who could only talk about how trashy Carnival was....even though they had never cruised on Carnival. The husband was an obnoxious bore. It was also the only cruise we ever had late seating and we didn't care for it at all. Since then we've pretty much decided that we'd do YTD with tables for 2. That way we're guaranteed to enjoy our company at dinner.