after an Adriatic Cruise from Venice

happy_travellers

We are doing a cruise from Venice and looking to add on 4 days after the cruise. Any ideas on where to go? Thinking of Vienna or Munich and flying back to Toronto from there.

Also thought of driving from Venice to Slovenia and flying back to Toronto from Venice.

Thanks for any advice, Karen

We do a lot of post and pre cruise driving in Europe and your ideas are fine. But, if you are thinking about using a rental car for your post cruise keep in mind that it can be very expensive (about $1000 in one way drop fees) to do a one-way rental with a drop in a different country! If taking the train you should take a good look at the train schedules and see what works for your plans. For either Vienna or Munich you are going to spend nearly an entire day (6-8 hours) just moving between Venice and those cities. As to Slovenia, since you have not specified a city that is hard for us to gauge.

As to picking up rental cars in Venice, you have two options. There are several rental car agencies located in the Piazale Roma (they are in garages) which is accessible by using the People Mover from the port (but you do have to handle your own luggage). Another option is to use a land taxi to get out to an airport rental car office (taxis will not be happy about taking a fare over to the P. Roma).

But you ideas are absolutely fine and very doable.

Edited by Hlitner

We do a lot of post and pre cruise driving in Europe and your ideas are fine. But, if you are thinking about using a rental car for your post cruise keep in mind that it can be very expensive (about $1000 in one way drop fees) to do a one-way rental with a drop in a different country! If taking the train you should take a good look at the train schedules and see what works for your plans. For either Vienna or Munich you are going to spend nearly an entire day (6-8 hours) just moving between Venice and those cities. As to Slovenia, since you have not specified a city that is hard for us to gauge.

As to picking up rental cars in Venice, you have two options. There are several rental car agencies located in the Piazale Roma (they are in garages) which is accessible by using the People Mover from the port (but you do have to handle your own luggage). Another option is to use a land taxi to get out to an airport rental car office (taxis will not be happy about taking a fare over to the P. Roma).

But you ideas are absolutely fine and very doable.

I did not realize that a one way drop would be so much! For Slovenia we would return car to Venice and fly home from there. I have looked at flight schedules and Venice to Munich to Toronto has great flights (non-stops) at only 100.00 more than Toronto-Venice return. Prague or Vienna flights are not as good but doable.

We have never been to Germany , Austria or Czech Republic and I think this is a good opportunity to visit one of these countries. We have stayed in Venice after two prior cruises.

Hank do you favor one of my choices and why? Thanks Karen

You could certainly take a lovely trip into Slovenia and back to Venice. We loved Lake Bled and we were there in the rain with clouds obscuring the mountains. Rick Steves has a good guide for Slovenia.

Otherwise it may be best to take the train to one of the cities you would like to see.

I did not realize that a one way drop would be so much! For Slovenia we would return car to Venice and fly home from there. I have looked at flight schedules and Venice to Munich to Toronto has great flights (non-stops) at only 100.00 more than Toronto-Venice return. Prague or Vienna flights are not as good but doable.

We have never been to Germany , Austria or Czech Republic and I think this is a good opportunity to visit one of these countries. We have stayed in Venice after two prior cruises.

We have no experience with the Czech Republic so cannot help with that option. As to Austria and Germany we enjoy both countries but your tight time frame sure does limit how much you can do and see. We think that many fellow tourists often underestimate the amount of time it takes to drive between places, so consider that a 6 hour drive does use up most of a day just on the road. You should take a look at driving itineraries and time and have a plan. Many like to use Google Maps but we have also found that Viamichelin.com (owned by the Michelin folks) is often more accurate. So run your scenarios on both sites :). Also keep in mind that some sites will call Vienna ...."Wien."

As to picking up a rental car in Venice, you can do that in the Piazale Roma and later arrange to drop it at the airport (should be no extra charges for the local one-way). And several major rental car companies do not charge one-way drop charges as long as the car is dropped within the same country rented. One other suggestion is to check rental car rates on both Autoeurope.com and Kemwel.com. These are co-located sister companies with offices in the USA. They operate as a major "consolidator" or discounter for both Europcar and Hertz and often have better deals for rentals of at least 3 days in length.

One other warning is about renting a car in Italy. As a general rule your credit card collision damage waiver coverage will not work for cars rented in Italy! So this means that nearly all of us need to carefully consider the "excess" or deductables on rental car insurance. Nearly all the majors do have an "inclusive" rate for Italy car rentals, but even these rates may have a high deductable. So read the fine print and if you have any doubts call the rental car companies and ask questions. And do not hesitate to ask for any policies to be sent to you in writing!

Hank

Oooh lots of options!!

Last year we ended our TA in Rome and rented a car at the port. We drove first to Florence, then up to the Dolomites via Lake Garda. We stayed in the wonderful town of Bolzano, which is more German than Italian and very interesting. There is the longest gondola ride (apparently in the world!) up into the mountains where you can take a tiny railroad through minuscule villages, just an incredible day, and way off the beaten path. They have the museum devoted to Otzi, the iceman found perfectly preserved high in the Alps. We stayed in a great BandB there. I'd go back in a heartbeat!!

Then we drove to Innsbruck, then Salzburg where we stayed (think Sound of Music!) then a few days with an Austrian cruise friend in his hometown of Klagenfurt, a beautiful resort town on a picturesque lake, then we drove back to Venice to return our rental car and fly home. It was a fabulous trip!! And no drop off fee!

Not Hank, but Munich is good because it is a decent hub for day trips by train to Regensburg, Salzburg, and the towns in the Bavarian Alps. With a car, you could do the Romantic Road.

As a city, Munich didn't do much for us....perhaps it was because of lousy weather, since many people love it.

With only 4 days, I think you are trying to go too far afield. Austria might be doable, but you will have two full days of travel to get there and back, with only 2 days at a destination. Innsbruck might be a viable destination.

If you have your heart set on Slovenia or Czech Republic maybe check out flying a Domestic flight and have a few days to explore before heading home.

But you will have to be aware of different luggage allowances. You sometimes pay hefty fees for checked luggage.

I wanted to include Paris (as we hadn't been before), so I booked a great airfare LAX round trip to Paris. International baggage allowance was 2 bags pp of 50 lbs each. I was going to take the train to Rome then from Venice back to Paris. Noticed before booking (thank goodness) that the train arrived in Paris at the same time as our flight home departed. So started looking for airfare from Paris to Rome and Venice to Paris. It was considered a Domestic flight with baggage allowance of 1 bag at 44 lbs. Everything went pretty smoothly until the end of the trip when our flight was cancelled so we had to stay an extra night in Paris. It was pouring rain so no excursions or seeing anything but the inside of the hotel.

Just have your Plan "A", and a Plan "B" for when plan A falls apart, then still be prepared to just go with the flow when both Plan A and B fall apart. It happened to our plans a lot of the time. Take half the clothes you think you need (nobody is going to notice if you wear the same outfit twice) and TWICE THE MONEY you think you need.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip. Europe is a great destination! So much history and interesting sites to be seen.

With only 4 days, I think you are trying to go too far afield. Austria might be doable, but you will have two full days of travel to get there and back, with only 2 days at a destination. Innsbruck might be a viable destination.

If you have your heart set on Slovenia or Czech Republic maybe check out flying a Domestic flight and have a few days to explore before heading home.

But you will have to be aware of different luggage allowances. You sometimes pay hefty fees for checked luggage.

I wanted to include Paris (as we hadn't been before), so I booked a great airfare LAX round trip to Paris. International baggage allowance was 2 bags pp of 50 lbs each. I was going to take the train to Rome then from Venice back to Paris. Noticed before booking (thank goodness) that the train arrived in Paris at the same time as our flight home departed. So started looking for airfare from Paris to Rome and Venice to Paris. It was considered a Domestic flight with baggage allowance of 1 bag at 44 lbs. Everything went pretty smoothly until the end of the trip when our flight was cancelled so we had to stay an extra night in Paris. It was pouring rain so no excursions or seeing anything but the inside of the hotel.

Just have your Plan "A", and a Plan "B" for when plan A falls apart, then still be prepared to just go with the flow when both Plan A and B fall apart. It happened to our plans a lot of the time. Take half the clothes you think you need (nobody is going to notice if you wear the same outfit twice) and TWICE THE MONEY you think you need.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip. Europe is a great destination! So much history and interesting sites to be seen.

Thanks for the suggestions. We would drive if Slovenia but we can get good flights to Vienna, Prague and Munich. However I will take your advice and check baggage limits. We have had stays after many of our cruises but have never travelled from Venice and never been to the areas close by.

I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. Karen

Thanks for the suggestions. We would drive if Slovenia but we can get good flights to Vienna, Prague and Munich. However I will take your advice and check baggage limits. We have had stays after many of our cruises but have never travelled from Venice and never been to the areas close by.

I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. Karen

In one of your posts you mentioned that the flights through Prague and Vienna were not quite as good...if it is price you are looking at, you might want to look at the hotel costs. Munich is for some reason kind of pricey on hotels. It's been a while since we have been to Prague and Vienna (9 years), but back then I didn't have the sticker shock on what hotels wanted, but in Munich a few years ago I did.

One other comment...Prague is very nice, but after a few days, I would be looking for something more. Vienna does have enough to see and is a decent base for other sites (with cheap Danube excursions to Melk..Salzburg is also also possible by train).

Since you are willing to rent a car...the whole of Northern Italy is also open to you if you book your flight return from Venice (that's my plan for our next cruise...train to Lake Como from Rome for a short land vacation before flying out).

Edited by buggins0402

In one of your posts you mentioned that the flights through Prague and Vienna were not quite as good...if it is price you are looking at, you might want to look at the hotel costs. Munich is for some reason kind of pricey on hotels. It's been a while since we have been to Prague and Vienna (9 years), but back then I didn't have the sticker shock on what hotels wanted, but in Munich a few years ago I did.

One other comment...Prague is very nice, but after a few days, I would be looking for something more. Vienna does have enough to see and is a decent base for other sites (with cheap Danube excursions to Melk..Salzburg is also also possible by train).

Since you are willing to rent a car...the whole of Northern Italy is also open to you if you book your flight return from Venice (that's my plan for our next cruise...train to Lake Como from Rome for a short land vacation before flying out).

The cost of flights is about the same but the connections and timing is better for Munich. I have looked at hotels and found Vienna the mostly costly option other than staying in Venice. However the cost difference in Hotels for 4 nights would not be great enough to rule out one place or another.

Thank you for the info on excursions. All info is very much appreciated. Karen

We are doing a cruise from Venice and looking to add on 4 days after the cruise. Any ideas on where to go? Thinking of Vienna or Munich and flying back to Toronto from there.

Also thought of driving from Venice to Slovenia and flying back to Toronto from Venice.

Thanks for any advice, Karen

We have a Venice R/T Croatia cruise next summer on Azamara. I thought the best option was taking a cheap Easy Jet flight to Naples and then spending 2-3 days in Positano and then fly back to Boston from Naples. We really won't set our plans for next summer just yet, but have the refundable deposit out there on the cruise which leaves nice options.

We have a Venice R/T Croatia cruise next summer on Azamara. I thought the best option was taking a cheap Easy Jet flight to Naples and then spending 2-3 days in Positano and then fly back to Boston from Naples. We really won't set our plans for next summer just yet, but have the refundable deposit out there on the cruise which leaves nice options.

Sounds like a great idea, but be sure to check out the train too. With all the getting to the airport hours ahead, etc., it might be just as fast, and way more scenic, to hop on the fast train from Venice.

Otoh we once planned to train from Barcelona to Paris, found it was a much better idea to fly--faster, cheaper, etc. Lots of options.

Well, we are talking about a 1 hour flight plus about another 2 hours to get and wait at the airport. So that is 3 hours. The train is about 5 1/2 hours and you need to get to the train station about a half hour early so you are talking 6 hours! This all assumes one wants to go to Naples. From Naples to Positano can be about a 2 hour drive (plus or minus 15 min). There are also a few ferries but that means getting from the airport into town. One needs to also consider that if you are coming off a cruise with a fair amount of luggage...EZ Jet can cost you more for moving that luggage then the cost of your passenger ticket.

I should add that one reason DW and I prefer to stay in Praiano (as opposed to staying right in Positano) is that we can save money on our hotel and get free parking. Parking in Positano is either a nightmare, very expensive, or both :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

CathyCruises suggestion of doing the Dolomites would be suggestion also. Now, I've only done this in the winter and it was so spectacular that I desperately want to do it in the summertime now. My now-ex and I drove from Venice to Bolzano and spent the night there (Hotel Greif). The next day, we drove the Great Road of the Dolomites through to Cortina d' Ampezzo and out to the autostrada to Innsbruck (well, Igls). We were based in Igls for a week for an event we were helping with. On a day off, we took the train to Salzburg. We've also been to Konigsee for an event and that was a VERY easy and quick drive to Salzburg. But, I digress. For only 4 days, I'd only go as far as Innsbruck and then return to Venice. The drive though the Dolomites would be worth it for me!!!

P.S. if you drive, remember to buy the Vignette at the last gas station in Italy before you cross the border!!!! It is a hefty fine if your car is caught without in in Austria on the highway.

Since the Amalfi coast is on many cruise itineraries I would look for something inland.

The Dolomites are spectacular. As I said before, Slovenia would make a great little trip.

Prague is on my bucket list. I much preferred Munich to Vienna.

CathyCruises suggestion of doing the Dolomites would be suggestion also.

P.S. if you drive, remember to buy the Vignette at the last gas station in Italy before you cross the border!!!! It is a hefty fine if your car is caught without in in Austria on the highway.

NOW you tell me! We had no idea that we needed anything for going into Austria, I assumed we would be paying the tolls as the need arose. After three days when we joined our friend in Klagenfurt, he was appalled to see that we had no sticker on our car. We were heading back to Italy on a Sunday, when he said there would be a high likelihood of inspection, and mapped out a route entirely on the back roads until we crossed over into Italy. It was a very interesting journey and full of spectacular scenery but I could've done without the worrying.

The other funny thing was that although DH and I do great in most European countries ordering food etc., we were at a complete loss in a German-speaking country. We stopped at a tiny roadside inn for breakfast, and pointed at something on the menu but we had no idea what it was. We recognized 'caffe' but that was it. We sat for ages thinking maybe that was all we had ordered but eventually they came out with a full plate for each of us, soft boiled eggs and yogurt IIRC, it was quite amusing. Not a fan of either ;)

CathyCruises suggestion of doing the Dolomites would be suggestion also. Now, I've only done this in the winter and it was so spectacular that I desperately want to do it in the summertime now. My now-ex and I drove from Venice to Bolzano and spent the night there (Hotel Greif). The next day, we drove the Great Road of the Dolomites through to Cortina d' Ampezzo and out to the autostrada to Innsbruck (well, Igls). We were based in Igls for a week for an event we were helping with. On a day off, we took the train to Salzburg. We've also been to Konigsee for an event and that was a VERY easy and quick drive to Salzburg. But, I digress. For only 4 days, I'd only go as far as Innsbruck and then return to Venice. The drive though the Dolomites would be worth it for me!!!

I thought about the Dolomites but we are going in May and I read that there would not be much open as its between seasons. As of right now I have 4 nights booked in Venice post-cruise as a back up plan and would do the Dolomites as a day trip.

Thanks for all the info, it is good to weigh all the pros and cons. Karen

I thought about the Dolomites but we are going in May and I read that there would not be much open as its between seasons. As of right now I have 4 nights booked in Venice post-cruise as a back up plan and would do the Dolomites as a day trip.

We went in early May, and everything was open around Bolzano. Here is some trip advisor info about the tram--we loved it. http://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/ShowUserReviews-g187857-d1963434-r291950408-Funivia_Renon-Bolzano_South_Tyrol_Province_Trentino_Alto_Adige.html#REVIEWS And the owner of our BandB gave us a tourist card that gave us free admission to every site, including the tram, museum, etc. It was a great deal.

Edited by CathyCruises

That area is a major ski region in the winter. We did it in the middle of the winter. Now, that was the Great Road, which is indeed open year 'round. At one point, we did actually drive through a ski area - people had to take off their skis and cross the road to continue! Definitely look into it.

OP here.

I bought a Rick Steeves Germany book this weekend and did some research. Munich looks lovely and lots of day trips to do on the train.

However I did look into the flight from Venice to Munich and looks like reduced amount of luggage so extra costs there. Hotels near the train station seemed reasonable any thoughts on that?

Thanks Karen

However I did look into the flight from Venice to Munich and looks like reduced amount of luggage so extra costs there. Hotels near the train station seemed reasonable any thoughts on that?

Thanks Karen

Well, my thought is that you shouldn't be flying from Venice to Munich, you should be taking the train: https://youtu.be/uucEm3op7uc. Admittedly, it's on my European train journey bucket list (almost took it last year, but decided to go for the even more awesome Bernina Express)

Have never stayed near the station in Munich, however in general I do like the convenience of staying near a train station.

Well, my thought is that you shouldn't be flying from Venice to Munich, you should be taking the train: https://youtu.be/uucEm3op7uc. Admittedly, it's on my European train journey bucket list (almost took it last year, but decided to go for the even more awesome Bernina Express)

Have never stayed near the station in Munich, however in general I do like the convenience of staying near a train station.

I only have 4 days after the cruise so I thought the flight would save time. Also we travel heavy, we have lots of camera equipment with us as well as regular luggage.

I will check out the train. We used the train in Britain this year after our Canary Island cruise.

Karen

I only have 4 days after the cruise so I thought the flight would save time. Also we travel heavy, we have lots of camera equipment with us as well as regular luggage.

I will check out the train. We used the train in Britain this year after our Canary Island cruise.

Karen

Check the times and compare. You might find that, by the time you get out to VCE, allow time for check-in, etc. that the arrival time is similar. For instance, looking at a totally random date this September (17), and searching ITA Matrix for flights and bahn.com for trains, I'm finding direct flights VCE-MUC at 9:10 am and 1:30 pm. Now, the first would be too early for my comfort, so that means waiting until 1:30. Apparently the train from MUC to downtown Munich takes about 45 minutes, so with an arrival at 2:35 you're not getting into town much before 4. Now, there's a train that leaves Venice Santa Lucia station at 8:50 (with a stop at Mestre station at 9, which might be a better bet for you as you can take a land taxi there from the cruise terminal); this should be doable unless your ship docks very late. With a comfortable 1-hour transfer in Verona, this will get you into Munich at 4:24.

Now, if you think you can make the 9:10 flight, or if you find different/better timed flights for your exact date, this changes the calculation, but it just goes to show you that you need to do the math. Ultimately, it's about looking at all the possibilities and finding what works for you.