Technical Problems on Statendam

Steve Q

Jacqui:

There will be trips to Anchorage. The Tour Office is working on things now. We will be in Seward from 6AM til Midnight so folks that really want to get to Anchorage will be able to do so. It is a two hour trip each way. I have to be back hear for a 5PM Mass, so I think I will forgo the trip to Anchorage. I had just planned to walk around the downtown area. Perhaps I will catch the shuttle to downtown Seward and go to the aquarium, weather permitting.

Himself

thanks Himself. It's nice that HAL is trying to accommodate that port.

A 2 hour trip is a long one indeed, but at least they are offering it.

thanks for letting us know :)

thanks Himself. It's nice that HAL is trying to accommodate that port.

A 2 hour trip is a long one indeed, but at least they are offering it.

thanks for letting us know :)

We will see when it all gets posted later this morning or early this afternoon.

We will NOT go to Anchorage! Instead we are going to Seward and will be there from 6AM Monday morning until midnight so divers can go down under the ship and access problem and fix. We should make Homer, Kodiak, Hubbards Glacier, Sitka and Victoria without a problem. Captain announced this about 5:15PM in the evening. The Ship will be running tours to Anchorage. I think I will hang in Seward.

Harry and I will be on the Sept 07 sailing. We have been to Seward, and enjoyed the Alaska Sealife Center. When we were there in 2002, there was a tank with several levels where you can watch the puffins diving. We also went to see a glacier at Kenai Fiords (?) which was better than Mendenhal in Juneau.

Kathy

No posts today on Captain Albert's blog, so something is amiss.

With the massive change in plans and activities, Capt. Albert has been tapped to do talks on board. Yesterday he gave a wonderful talk on the history of HAL. He has been pretty busy between training, speaking and archiving the ship's artwork...

Leon

Seward to Anchorage: My memory may be wrong, but I think it is more than 2 hours between the two communities.

He posted yesterday, and referenced the itinerary change.

Update. The captain has announced that the officers discovered a problem at the stern of the ship. It sounded like a light was seen on the stern. I may be wrong. It was difficult to understand. We will hear more later. We are proceeding to an unknown port where divers can assess the problem. He is not sure which port as of this time.

Sent from my iPad

Could it be that a "light sheen" was seen at the stern? That would mean that a shaft seal on a pod was leaking slightly. If my memory is right, they cannot enter Glacier Bay with any kind of an oil leak for environmental reasons. I believe they can renew the shaft seal from the inside (with the ship stopped), and they only need the divers to confirm the leak and which pod.

Could it be that a "light sheen" was seen at the stern? That would mean that a shaft seal on a pod was leaking slightly. If my memory is right, they cannot enter Glacier Bay with any kind of an oil leak for environmental reasons. I believe they can renew the shaft seal from the inside (with the ship stopped), and they only need the divers to confirm the leak and which pod.

I'm quite sure the Statendam has conventional props and not pods. Does that make a difference?

Light sheen sounds like a good call.

Roy

I'm quite sure the Statendam has conventional props and not pods. Does that make a difference?

Light sheen sounds like a good call.

Roy

Actually makes it easier to renew a seal. That would require a diver to actually do the work, but is still a relatively common repair.

Seward to Anchorage: My memory may be wrong, but I think it is more than 2 hours between the two communities.

Not necessarily so. Captain Albert's role on the ship is to be training junior officers. I think that Captain might be getting off in the morning.

Edited by Himself

He posted yesterday, and referenced the itinerary change.

If I recall what I read properly, the itinerary change was from Icy Point Strait for an unplaned call in Glacier Bay, which, apparently, did not happen. I recall reading that somehow HAL was able to acquire an extra permit to enter Glacier Bay and it was given to the Statendam so that it would not be lost.

Looking forward to his next posting.

Edited by rkacruiser

Stern Tube repair 1974.

Vessel NORIC CLANSMAN, VLCC, 264,000 dwt.

Sailed Lisbon on maiden voyage from Lisbon on 4 May.

Arrived at Persian Gulf and alongside at Ras Tannurah Sea Island 1st June.

Loaded full cargo Arabian Light crude and departed Ras Tannurah 4th June.

On about 14th June a leak oil in the stern seal was discovered. We were down off Madagascar. The vessel was unable to continue so the option was to return the vessel to the Persian Gulf and arrived in the anchorage off Ras Tannurah arriving there on 24th June.

A similar size vessel, Norwegian RADNEY was chartered. Came alongside and almost all of 200,000 tonnes of cargo was transferred to the RADNEY. Too about days to complete. The only cargo was left in the very forward tanks.

Once transfer completed the stern was trimmed enough to get the shaft out of the water. The rope guards were removed and the seals were renewed. Obviously a team from a shipyard came out to carry the work.

Follow the repair, it was the necessary to transfer the cargo back from RADNEY back to NORDIC CLANSMAN. The whole job took almost two weeks.

The NORDIC CLANSMAN then sailed again from Ras Tannurah and eventually arrived in Le Havre to discharge on 2 August. Three months on the voyage and not one single moment off the ship!

Luckily, things can carry out repairs on STATENDAM!

Cause re failure.... many things.... damaged by rope around the prop... even fishing lines can tangle and cause damage. Can be costly.

Stephen

Nordic_Clansman1.jpg.2b6e1562ec988bd29346f226f8946831.jpg

815312833_NORDICCLANSMANd.jpg.b5de1471a77f52707740c8385aef4aa7.jpg

51458856_NORDICCLANSMANe.jpg.7c536904e65fbf5fc9f8d0e005d251da.jpg

1530241128_NORDICCLANSMANa.jpg.9c525110712e9e0c34e4a2755160019f.jpg

1864227784_NORDICCLANSMANc.jpg.c55282ee397ba3cbd37dbc48d8bd1571.jpg

Lots of things have changed in the last 40 years, I know. Been there, done that.

I've even totally dismantled a shaft seal on a stern thruster and renewed it while the cruise ship was in service. Divers took about a week to do, as they had to stop and secure everything (propeller, chain hoists, etc.) to be able to withstand the cruise to the next port. About an hour before departure, I would go to the diver station and view a video feed of how everything was secured before we went to standby engines.

OK, Topsham and chengkp75, your two posts are interesting, but what do they mean?

For those of us booked to sail on the good ship Statendam, I have to wonder.

Topsham was telling how a shaft seal repair was done in the '70s, and I was saying that things have changed, and HAL is estimating that it will take 18 hours to renew a shaft seal without taking the ship out of service, or lifting the stern to get the seal out of water. As Topsham said, things like fishing lines from long liners or nets can get fouled around the shaft, melt together and then get stuck between the shaft and the rubber seal, causing the lubricating oil to leak.

Topsham was telling how a shaft seal repair was done in the '70s, and I was saying that things have changed, and HAL is estimating that it will take 18 hours to renew a shaft seal without taking the ship out of service, or lifting the stern to get the seal out of water. As Topsham said, things like fishing lines from long liners or nets can get fouled around the shaft, melt together and then get stuck between the shaft and the rubber seal, causing the lubricating oil to leak.

Thank you! I am reassured.

Hopefully it will all be taken care of tomorrow in Seward and the good ship Statendam can continue on with the rest of the voyage and safely reach the "Emerald City" on the Second Monday of the great month of August.