Your thoughts on Princess for people in their 30s

cocacola86

I've been on both ships and still love the Grand even though she is much older. Ruby is the only Princess ship larger than the grand-class I have sailed but I did not find her any more crowded than the smaller ships.

Advantage Grand: Alfredo's pizzeria, Vista lounge showroom, smaller and nicer Wheelhouse Bar

Advantage Ruby: larger International Cafe with more selections, Skywalkers nightclub, cabins have more closet/storage space, all stairs and elevators go to all floors

If going by itinerary an end-to-end sailing is always more interesting than a round-trip one. Though if you plan to spend a couple days before or after you can't beat San Francisco. (And the Astoria OR call is a tender port which is bypassed in even the slightest case of inclement weather). Up to you if you want the two British Columbia stops or mostly Southern California; I would choose the former any day but you may prefer the most time out of Canada.

Edited by fishywood

I'd chose the Ruby which is newer & I prefer the design over the Grand. Both are different versions of Grand-class ships and are more similar than not. The Ruby has Skywalkers lounge with great views & the Grand had Skywalkers removed due to structural issues they discovered after being the 1st ship with Skywalkers. Ruby has Sabatini's in a great aft facing location & has the enjoyable & rarely crowded Adagio bar next to it.

I've sailed both of the Ruby's itineraries from LA & prefer the one ending in Vancouver. Although for me that requires a one-way flight back to LAX so if price is a consideration then we'd sail roundtrip from LA. Also the Grand's itinerary sails roundtrip from SF & we'd have to fly roundtrip there however as 'fishywood' posted it's a great opportunity to visit more of the SF area pre or post cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Considering being from Canada, we've seen more of the U.S./Caribbean, do you know if Alcatraz is still open, heard it was closed for tours, cause that would limit our choices.

It was open last time I was in San Francisco in May. I hadn't heard about any closure. It's definitely worth a visit. Fascinating place with unbelievable views.

Considering being from Canada, we've seen more of the U.S./Caribbean, do you know if Alcatraz is still open, heard it was closed for tours, cause that would limit our choices.

Checking the US Park Service website Alcatraz is open: http://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm

I recently saw on the news that they had completed some renovations.

If you go to San Diego your might enjoy visiting my first cruise ship the aircraft carrier USS Midway which is a short walk from the cruise ship terminal.

http://www.midway.org/

Edited by Astro Flyer

Only sailed Carnival and soon to be on RC out of San Juan, I've heard good things on Princess and some not so good. Just wondering can people in their 30s still have a good time on Princess, but how do you choose what ship class is the best? With lots of entertainment, dining options.

I'm in my 50s thinking I'm still in my 30s :D Every cruise caters with an image of what they offer on the ship, but I personally like the balance that princess offers and find all ages on them. My opinion is less partying and drinking and no hairy man on Princess, but everything else one would want is there

So what would you say the big difference is? Compared to Carnival even though there owned by Carnival?

Princess does not cater to the hip, slick and cool crowd.....more like a 55+ crowd.... Ships are rather boring but they tend to have very comprehensive itineraries around the world....we choose them because of the itineraries.... Otherwise it is just like most other cruise lines IMHO!

My husband and I are 31.

I enjoyed my Princess cruise, but I also enjoyed my Carnival cruises. The princess crowd tends to be older and more subdued. It all depends on what you're into.

I think there is more going on during Carnival cruises. But I'm not necessarily into everything happening. Belly flop and hairy chest contests are not for me. But other things they do are.

The food is better and the ships are prettier on Princess. Princess also offers better itineraries.

You really have to experience them all and decide for yourself. We've been cruising since our late 20s and enjoy all the lines. But we are not big partiers or drinkers, but we do like to have fun. We also like to relax and I enjoy quiet time reading.

We have met people our own age and had tons of fun, but we have also met people in their 50s and older and spent time with them and had fun too. We pretty much fit in anywhere. haha :)

I was 29-years-old when I took my first Princess cruise. Everyone on the ship was older than me, but being at the tail-end of the baby boomers, I'm used to that, lol. What I love about Princess is watching movies on the MUTS screens, going to the production and comedy shows, listening to piano player at the martini bar, listening to the live music in the Explorer's Lounge, playing some of the fun games like Bar Wars and Champagne Hoopla, or just enjoying some quiet time on deck with a book. The food is pretty good too.:D

Of the cruises that you are looking at, I would pick the Ruby, round trip out of Los Angeles. The weather will probably be a little nicer, it runs Saturday to Saturday, making it a little easier to get time off work (for my husband at least), and the Ruby has the Skywalker's nightclub. We love going there for drinks and you would be more likely to find people your age up there.

While the Grand is not a bad ship, it's not my favorite. I will be on her in November for my aunt's 70'th birthday cruise, but that was her pick, lol.

I was an old soul at 25, and, although I didn't take my first Princess cruise until I was 43, I would have felt entirely comfortable on that cruise 18 years earlier. I have a friend who is turning 50 who would be bored to death on a Princess cruise. She is a better fit with RC's larger ships, because she needs to be constantly moving and is very fitness oriented.

I would actually suggest the Grand Princess, simply for its covered pool area, which would be perfect on that itinerary. I love the covered pools on the older ships!!

Princess is more for those who actually enjoy cruising and don't need constant activities to help them forget they're on a ship. You can also have an intelligent conversation with most everyone you meet.

I boarded my first Princess ship when I was 22, and have just completed my first solo cruise with Princess at age 25.

I find that there is a wide age demographic on all the princess cruises that I've been on, however some can lean to be an older crowd (Alaska) and some lean younger (short cruises) from my experience.

I choose princess because of the high quality service, food and iteneries. Admittedly, princess ships don't generally have rock climbing walls, or ice skating rinks or flying foxes... But I, personally, don't want them. The nights on princess are long and the nightclubs still go into the wee hours of the night - Princess passengers aren't 'boring' by any means!

DH and I are in our 30s and love Princess. I've sailed Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Carnival, and Cunard, but Princess fits our ideal vacation image. It's classy, quality, outstanding food, polite pax and crew, clean, and safe. We don't like dodging little kids or drunks, so we appreciate the more adult atmosphere and refined elegance of Princess. I can still hear my style of music in the club at night while enjoying the quiet ambiance of the rest of the ship. It's wonderful that every cruise line has its own personality, since we all have our own personalities and cruising styles. My description may or may not appeal to you. If you're unsure, take the Royal Caribbean cruise first as someone else suggested and decide if that's the right fit before trying Princess. Royal Caribbean is much more active and action packed. Happy cruising! [emoji568]

I was 36 when we took our first cruise with Princess, and 39 when we took our second. I was very happy indeed with both cruises and found that Princess suited me very well indeed. I suppose that it helps that I have an extremely eclectic taste in music and don't mind 'gameshow' type entertainment at all.

Our latest cruise was with P&O which, whilst still being a mighty fine way of spending a fortnight, was nowhere near as enjoyable as our cruises with Princess. None of the entertainment staff on Ventura stood out, whilst I can still picture and name most of the entertainment staff from our Princess cruises.

I think that, for our next adventure, we will be returning to the Princess family.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

Do you prefer to stick to one cruiseline, to gain status or doesn't matter

To be honest, it's not the deciding factor for us. Obviously, we'll be entitled to a little more if we sail with Princess again but I'm much more swayed by the quality of the itinerary and of the ship than of the offered inducements. If we do sail only with Princess in the future then it will be purely because we have found a cruise company that 'fits'.

It's funny HAL is part of Carnival Corp, how is Princess price drop and how does it work? If you book your airfare through Princess do you have to pay it upfront or can you add it to your cruise and pay it down as you pay your cruise

Thing I heard about HAL from Carnival is that it's people in wheel chairs, you would be asleep by 6pm

Celebrity and Princess is comparable lines, would you say one is better than the other? Does one line better in let's say the Caribbean than the other as an example

Funny you mention both HAL and Celebrity. On my HAL cruise two years ago there was a show after late sitting dinner every evening, usually more entertainment after that, and plenty of people out and about. The year before on Celebrity I would emerge from select dining each night and think I was on the Mary Celeste. Shows were at 7 and 9 each night and I would go to the 7:00 and then dinner, after which your only entertainment options were pay-per-view movies in your cabin. In the categories of live music, entertainment and activities Princess blows Celebrity away.