Self Assist

duegwb

I have read on here a lot of people saying they had a good experience doing the self assist when they are leaving the ship. Has anyone had any recent experiences in Fort Lauderdale that didn't go so well? I also want to make sure I have this right. I just wait for them to call the "self assist" and then I can leave?

In FLL, specifically Oasis/Allure, there is an escalator in the terminal. You need to be able to manage your luggage on the escalator while still having one hand free to grasp the handrail. If you are unable to do this, port security will direct you to the elevator, which often has a huge line.

Also, I've noticed that more and more people are choosing the self-disembarkation option so it can get quite crowded and backed-up. On Celebrity, it's capacity controlled, meaning that you need to sign up for this option and those that aren't on "the list" are expected to put their luggage out the night before and use the traditional disembarkation process. Housekeeping keeps track and actually asks for the luggage if you are not on the list and have be issued disembarkation tags.

Except for Oasis/Allure sometimes self assist is not always that great. Like Donna said it seems like more and more people are taking advantage of it.

They usually do not make any announcements. They have everyone meet in a designated area and it can get quite crowded.

We will be on Oasis in January. We need to do the self assist (9:30am flight......couldn't be avoided unfortunately). When and how do we sign up for self assist?

It will all be detailed in a letter you will get in your stateroom called "As You Depart". Attached is an example from last year.

oasis 2014-Nov-29 as you depart.pdf

We will be on Oasis in January. We need to do the self assist (9:30am flight......couldn't be avoided unfortunately). When and how do we sign up for self assist?

9:30 flight... pretty early. I've noticed a number of people have asked about early flights. After your cruise, I think a number of people (me included) would be interested in how it goes for future reference.

Edited by papaflamingo

DH and I will be on Indy in about 3 weeks (YAY!!). We have an 11:30ish return flight out of FLL and wanted to use the service where you set your bags out and don't see them again till you land at your destination airport. If we do this can we not do self assist? I want to make sure that we are off the ship as early as possible but don't want to have to manage our luggage.

DH and I will be on Indy in about 3 weeks (YAY!!). We have an 11:30ish return flight out of FLL and wanted to use the service where you set your bags out and don't see them again till you land at your destination airport. If we do this can we not do self assist? I want to make sure that we are off the ship as early as possible but don't want to have to manage our luggage.

Luggage valet program guests are given a departure number just like everyone else. It is not as early as self assist disembarkation, but still one of the early numbers. Asked at guest services about this and was told I could disembark any time after 8:00. Not sure of the rationale, maybe customs give the ok for the luggage valet bags at that time - not sure.

Luggage valet program guests are given a departure number just like everyone else. It is not as early as self assist disembarkation, but still one of the early numbers. Asked at guest services about this and was told I could disembark any time after 8:00. Not sure of the rationale, maybe customs give the ok for the luggage valet bags at that time - not sure.

Gotcha... thanks so much!!

I have read on here a lot of people saying they had a good experience doing the self assist when they are leaving the ship. Has anyone had any recent experiences in Fort Lauderdale that didn't go so well? I also want to make sure I have this right. I just wait for them to call the "self assist" and then I can leave?

Keep in mind that if it is advertised that Self Assist will begin disembarking at 6:30 MANY people will have gone to the designating waiting area well before that time. We did Self Assist on the Oasis a couple of weeks ago and there was already a line forming at 6AM.

In March, on the Allure, we went to the designated waiting area at the time it was to begin and half the dining room (on that floor) was PACKED with people waiting to do Self Assist.

I wouldn't wait until they put the info in your cabin. Go to customer service early on in your cruise (like the second day) and ask to be put on the list.

And, I wouldn't be too worried about a 9:30 flight at FLL from Oasis. Even if self-assist is backed up, you should still be off the ship and in a cab by 7am or so, and at the airport by 7:30am.

It will all be detailed in a letter you will get in your stateroom called "As You Depart". Attached is an example from last year.

Thank you. I've printed this so we have a frame of reference as to what to do :)

I wouldn't wait until they put the info in your cabin. Go to customer service early on in your cruise (like the second day) and ask to be put on the list.

And, I wouldn't be too worried about a 9:30 flight at FLL from Oasis. Even if self-assist is backed up, you should still be off the ship and in a cab by 7am or so, and at the airport by 7:30am.

I will definitely keep this in mind, thanks! My daughter is on a competitive cheer team and we booked this cruise before the competition schedule came out. Lo and behold, she has a competition the day we get home. So, we are hoping that (assuming the competition is late enough in the day) we can get her to the competition on time.

Although I understand the OPs reasoning for wanting to do self assist, keep in mind that if you are doing self assist, you can leave any time after the first group is called. They don't check who is in what group when you are leaving the ship. Just let your stateroom attendant know that you are leaving late so they won't have to keep checking back to see if you have gone yet.

Normally to do self assist, just don't put your bags out on the final night.

Keep in mind that if it is advertised that Self Assist will begin disembarking at 6:30 MANY people will have gone to the designating waiting area well before that time. We did Self Assist on the Oasis a couple of weeks ago and there was already a line forming at 6AM.

In March, on the Allure, we went to the designated waiting area at the time it was to begin and half the dining room (on that floor) was PACKED with people waiting to do Self Assist.

YES. We were on Vision and never expected such a line! People had gotten in line pretty much as the ship got into the dock.

"If we do this can we not do self assist? I want to make sure that we are off the ship as early as possible but don't want to have to manage our luggage."

So you want to put the bags out at night, but then walk out on your own? Sounds like the best of both worlds to me, but I'm not sure if you can? I'll definitely be following this to see. But I'm not sure if they prioritize getting luggage off the ship by your official disembarkation time; if so, you might end up having to wait in the terminal, even if you're allowed off.

Y...So you want to put the bags out at night, but then walk out on your own? Sounds like the best of both worlds to me, but I'm not sure if you can? I'll definitely be following this to see. But I'm not sure if they prioritize getting luggage off the ship by your official disembarkation time; if so, you might end up having to wait in the terminal, even if you're allowed off.

If you get off before your number is called, your luggage may not be ready. You may just be standing in the way of others whose number has been called.

Not sure I understand your question... there are three different options, and it sounds like you are confusing them.

Luggage Valet is when you leave your bags out in the hallway the night before (with special Luggage Valet tags that will be left in your room if you specifically sign up and are eligible/accepted for this service) and you pick your bags up at your home airport. You pay an additional fee for this service. The tags already include your flight information for the airline, so this is why you don't have to pick them up again in the terminal, but you do have to get in line to clear Customs along with everyone else. Note that Luggage Valet is not offered on every ship or with every airline, and there are limits based on flight times to be accepted into the program.

Regular Luggage Service is where you put your bags out in the hallway the night before (with numbered tags that will be provided to you based on your flight information) and you wait in a designated spot until your number is called to leave the ship. Then you pick your bags up in the terminal in the area that matches your assigned number before you go through Customs. There is no additional fee for this service.

Self Assist is where you don't put your bags out in the hallway the night before, and you carry them all off by yourself at any time after departures are opened. You do not stop in the terminal to find your luggage in the numbered area -- you already have it all -- but you do have to get in line to clear Customs before you can leave the terminal. There is no additional fee for this non-service.

Hope this helps.

Not sure I understand your question... there are three different options, and it sounds like you are confusing them.

Luggage Valet is when you leave your bags out in the hallway the night before (with special Luggage Valet tags that will be left in your room if you specifically sign up and are eligible/accepted for this service) and you pick your bags up at your home airport. You pay an additional fee for this service. The tags already include your flight information for the airline, so this is why you don't have to pick them up again in the terminal, but you do have to get in line to clear Customs along with everyone else. Note that Luggage Valet is not offered on every ship or with every airline, and there are limits based on flight times to be accepted into the program.

Hope this helps.

yes... this is what I'm looking to do. Looks like it is available for our port/ship/flight times but of course I will confirm once onboard. I was just wondering with this if we could walk off (and of course go through customs, just without our bags as they would be on their way to the airport) when self assist gets called. We aren't new to cruising just RCCL and our flights are usually late afternoon or early evening so we usually put them out and then pick them up before going through customs. I'll be sure to talk to GS when purchasing the Luggage Valet service to see if we can get in one of the early groups. Thanks for your clarification.

It used to be for Luggage Valet, your flight could not be earlier than 12:30 p.m. If it works out for you, it's an amazing service and very much worth the extra $20 or so p.p.

The cutoff is now 11:30am for Port Everglades / FLL.

yes... this is what I'm looking to do. Looks like it is available for our port/ship/flight times but of course I will confirm once onboard. I was just wondering with this if we could walk off (and of course go through customs, just without our bags as they would be on their way to the airport) when self assist gets called. We aren't new to cruising just RCCL and our flights are usually late afternoon or early evening so we usually put them out and then pick them up before going through customs. I'll be sure to talk to GS when purchasing the Luggage Valet service to see if we can get in one of the early groups. Thanks for your clarification.

On the Independence in June GS told me no - could not walk off early with the self-assist.

Have always done luggage valet and love the program.

Have been told on the Independence and Oasis that you can leave after 8:00 a.m when luggage valet is called .....told me could not leave until luggage valet bags were cleared by customs in case they decided to call a specific passenger for something. Not sure how they would know though should you leave prior to 8:00.

On the Independence in June GS told me no - could not walk off early with the self-assist.

Have always done luggage valet and love the program.

Have been told on the Independence and Oasis that you can leave after 8:00 a.m when luggage valet is called .....told me could not leave until luggage valet bags were cleared by customs in case they decided to call a specific passenger for something. Not sure how they would know though should you leave prior to 8:00.

Thanks for the info :) I think as long as we are off by 9 we should be fine

The cutoff is now 11:30am for Port Everglades / FLL.

Bob,

Would you know what the cut-off flight time would be if disembarking from Port Canaveral and flying out of MCO (Orlando)? I have a 12noon flight and was hoping to take advantage of the Valet Luggage service. Thanks

Bob,

Would you know what the cut-off flight time would be if disembarking from Port Canaveral and flying out of MCO (Orlando)? I have a 12noon flight and was hoping to take advantage of the Valet Luggage service. Thanks

No, sorry, I don't have that info. Guest Services will be able to tell you.

Edited by clarea