Has anyone slept on the trundle/rollaway bed?

Jeafl

I'm trying to book a room for my parents and sister, and none of them want to sleep on the drop-down bed. I did find a room with the trundle/rollaway, but is is as bad as it sounds?

We have cruised with our boys before and had this one time. I personally did not find the bed itself uncomfortable at all (I laid around on it at times when we were in the room). Not as comfortable as their regular bed of course, but completely doable in my opinion for sleeping (I have had far worse beds in many hotels).

However, I am short (5'3"), so for me I could lay comfortably on it as well as my son. However, someone that is taller would probably have issues.

It will not be comfortable for an adult if they are taller than average. We slept a young girl on ours. The part of this arrangement that I liked least was that this took up a lot of room in our cabin and it was not easy to get around it.

It will not be comfortable for an adult if they are taller than average. We slept a young girl on ours. The part of this arrangement that I liked least was that this took up a lot of room in our cabin and it was not easy to get around it.

I'm 6' and had no problem. I actually liked it. The only thing I did was take the metal frame out from under it and put pad directly on the floor. My feet would hang off but since it was on the floor it didn't bother me at all. I slept well.

But the cabin steward wanted the pad on the frame. I'd pull it off, he would put it back, I'd take it off the frame again, he'd put it back on, back and forth we went :D

If the thought of sleeping on a soft floor would bother you, it probably wouldn't be good.

Plus it does (or it did for us) slide under a bed.

On our last Elation cruise, we booked a 1A cabin. When we arrived the cabin steward had already put a rollaway bed next to the single bed. Couldn't tell the difference between it and a regular single bed. Would do it again.:)

The trundle wasn't bad but it was short. Im only 5'2 and I hated that my feet would hang off if I stretched out. Another issue was having it in the middle of the floor when we were trying to get dressed. It really made the cabin appear to be much smaller. My next cruise is in 29 days and I made sure there will be a sofa in the cabin instead of the trundle this time....

The trundle wasn't bad but it was short. Im only 5'2 and I hated that my feet would hang off if I stretched out. Another issue was having it in the middle of the floor when we were trying to get dressed. It really made the cabin appear to be much smaller. My next cruise is in 29 days and I made sure there will be a sofa in the cabin instead of the trundle this time....

I agree with this. I slept on a trundle. It is actually more comfortable than the regular beds. They are however a bit shorter and in the way.

Do the trundles slide under the bed to store during the day?

Yep.. And if you're booked into a room and not planning on using it, look under the bed lol. Our cabin steward has bp even brought one in in an aft facing balcony, in a room it shouldn't have been in because it wasn't safe at all for our 2 yr old to sleep on an upper - bad planning on our part lol. But he just wouldn't slept in the middle with us. Oops off topic - sorry

They aren't bad, I passed out on it cuddling with ds while he fell asleep. They are shorter than usual beds, so if it's a tall person, it may not work as well. They are imho MUCH more comfy than the fake sofa turning into a bed.

Trundles do have an extension that make them regular length, they're a bit narrower than a twin.

What type of cabin and what ship? It does make a difference.

If OV or IS on a Fantasy class ship there will be more room in the cabin if the twins are kept apart. One under the window (back wall,IS usually have a faux window) and the other along the side wall.

Edited by SadieN

Hmmm. My sister is not tall, but she is, shall we say, "middle-aged". I just worry because she is still recovering from having a kidney removed. By next March she should be fine though.

Trundles do have an extension that make them regular length, they're a bit narrower than a twin.

What type of cabin and what ship? It does make a difference.

If OV or IS on a Fantasy class ship there will be more room in the cabin if the twins are kept apart. One under the window (back wall,IS usually have a faux window) and the other along the side wall.

Even with the extension, the trundle is shorter than a regular bed.

We have utilized a trundle bed on a few cruises. DD and I have slept on them at various times and found it to be adequate. However, they take a lot of room and walking into it is part of the issue of having these types of additional beds. It is definitely better than booking an additional cabin. But comfort level is diminished. Overall, we would do it again if needed. Good Luck and Smooth Sailing.

Do the rollaway type beds get folded up and shoved in a corner or something? I can't imagine walking around it all the time.

I wish my sister could get her own cabin, but she has thousands of dollars in medical bills she's paying off, and paying double isn't going to happen. She's already asked several friends to join her but no one is available that week.

On the triumph we didn't have a roll away type bed but it was basically a cot that slid under the other bed with a real mattress on it. This was in an interior room. It made it tight at night but they always tucked it away at night. Personally I thought it was better than the standard mattresses if you don't mind sleeping about 8 inches from the floor

So much better than the sofa bed thing on the triumph. It was like sleeping on a brick

Edited by freedomcruiser891

I'm trying to book a room for my parents and sister, and none of them want to sleep on the drop-down bed. I did find a room with the trundle/rollaway, but is is as bad as it sounds?

We had fold down bed, it was very comfortable and I found oyrs very cozy. Surprised it was so wide as I had expected very narrow.

Jenny

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk