Is this okay to do?

kasil

My family and I are sailing on Freedom next March over Spring Break. They all know about the cruise, but don't know that I booked connecting balconies. Can I put luggage tags for one cabin on all of the luggage? That way, the earliest they'll find out about having two cabins is at check-in, and they won't know about the balconies until we open the doors.:D

But in case you don't know this part, don't put the cruise tags on until after your flights are completed.

Why is this? I've seen others post this, too. We have been cruising since the early '90s and have always put our cruise tags on before we leave home, even when flying...never had an issue. Just wondering.

Edited by Terre

Why is this? I've seen others post this, too. We have been cruising since the early '90s and have always put our cruise tags on before we leave home, even when flying...never had an issue. Just wondering.

You risk confusion with airline with extra tags on cases and you risk losing them on the flight. Why not wait until you retrieve luggage at airport

Well, in 30 something cruises nothing has ever happened to our luggage and the tags have never been torn off. Even now with the e-tags, I laminate them and attach them with cable ties, nothing's ever happened to them.

I'd rather have them already on the luggage so when I get to the terminal, all I have to do is grab the luggage and get inside; don't want to have stand there attaching luggage tags when I'm ready to get on the ship!

Thanks for your replies, now I know.

For the reasons mentioned..... Also, my local airport actually asks us to remove all tags other than the identification tag and the current flight tag. I assumed this was standard, but apparently it isn't.

Well, in 30 something cruises nothing has ever happened to our luggage and the tags have never been torn off. Even now with the e-tags, I laminate them and attach them with cable ties, nothing's ever happened to them.

I'd rather have them already on the luggage so when I get to the terminal, all I have to do is grab the luggage and get inside; don't want to have stand there attaching luggage tags when I'm ready to get on the ship!

Thanks for your replies, now I know.

Unless the airplane is landing AT the cruise terminal, you're going to have to touch your luggage between the flight and getting to the terminal. Right?

I get that you've been lucky so far. I've had the actual AIRLINE tag get pulled off and had to wait for them to match luggage ID names to flights to get the luggage routed to the right place before, so no way would I take the chance with the cruise tag.

IF I'm forced to fly in the day of (nightmare of nightmares), I'd just put my arts and crafts ship tag in my carry-on and put the ship arts and crafts tag on as I pull it off the bag carousel. That way I'm not "standing there attaching luggage tags when I'm ready to get on the ship!"

Trying to keep this a surprise as long as I can. We will be cross packing, so having all of the bags go to one cabin won't be a problem - we have to rearrange anyway. We'll be staying in a hotel the night before - that's when the airline tags come off and the cruise tags go on. It's kind of a ritual for me. It means we are one step closer to actually getting on the ship.:)