What % of people on the ship have drink packages?

Tinious

It was meant to be offensive and this board community has a way of handling offensive posts w/o the help, aid of a moderator. This thread displays this.

Yes, that's what I was commenting on - this board's way of handing things by droning on and on about them and being so consumed by it that they forget the original conversation, because they're so focused on the occasional comment that offended them. :) And you are correct that it is well displayed in this thread.

Edited by Paul65

I will be experiencing my first cruise in Feb 2017. There will be four of us, we have briefly discussed the pros and cons of buying drinks packages. It's strange that my partner and I, who hardly ever drink, both said we would like to buy a drinks package. We both enjoy a cocktail or two and maybe some Baileys for her and JD and coke for me. The other two in our party who drink on a more regular basis than us (both retired, so don't have to worry about getting up in the morning lol), have both said they don't think a drinks package will be economical for them. Each to their own I say, I like the idea of grabbing a drink if I like and not thinking about how much it costs.

My philosophy to people who like to argue or cause problems over forums (keyboard warriors!) is this "Mind over Matter" - If I don't mind, they don't matter!! :)

I will be experiencing my first cruise in Feb 2017. There will be four of us, we have briefly discussed the pros and cons of buying drinks packages. It's strange that my partner and I, who hardly ever drink, both said we would like to buy a drinks package. We both enjoy a cocktail or two and maybe some Baileys for her and JD and coke for me. The other two in our party who drink on a more regular basis than us (both retired, so don't have to worry about getting up in the morning lol), have both said they don't think a drinks package will be economical for them. Each to their own I say, I like the idea of grabbing a drink if I like and not thinking about how much it costs.

My philosophy to people who like to argue or cause problems over forums (keyboard warriors!) is this "Mind over Matter" - If I don't mind, they don't matter!! :)

I do think that a lot of it is psychological, as you suggest. There are others, like yourself, who just want to know it's all taken care of, without worrying about how much each drink costs. I'm sort of the opposite, in that I think I'd worry about it more, if I'd already paid $800 for alcohol packages. I'd probably be constantly trying to add up the amounts in my head, to figure out if I'd gotten my money's worth or not (and maybe even ordering more than I would normally drink, to make sure I did). :o

This is our third cruise, this is the third time for us to purchase the drinks packages. I can't imagine life without it! Holidays are all about drinking, eating, relaxing and seeing a few sights.

Bring on the cocktails/wine/champagne/vodka/beer/cider ;)

I do think that a lot of it is psychological, as you suggest. There are others, like yourself, who just want to know it's all taken care of, without worrying about how much each drink costs. I'm sort of the opposite, in that I think I'd worry about it more, if I'd already paid $800 for alcohol packages. I'd probably be constantly trying to add up the amounts in my head, to figure out if I'd gotten my money's worth or not (and maybe even ordering more than I would normally drink, to make sure I did). :o

I am like you I think. If I had a drink package, i would probably drink more than I should( just to get my moneys worth). I won't be On RCL this year but i will be next. Celebrity offers guests a prorated drink package, that can be purchased later in a cruise. That way one can judged. I can't afford the extra calories that getting my monies worth may ensue. But my next cruise will be the decision maker.

Since I am a premium label drinker, and sweet drinks are not for me, one has to wonder if they will actually spend 65$ in beverages. Daily.

But probably try[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am like you I think. If I had a drink package, i would probably drink more than I should( just to get my moneys worth). I won't be On RCL this year but i will be next. Celebrity offers guests a prorated drink package, that can be purchased later in a cruise. That way one can judged. I can't afford the extra calories that getting my monies worth may ensue. But my next cruise will be the decision maker.

Since I am a premium label drinker, and sweet drinks are not for me, one has to wonder if they will actually spend 65$ in beverages. Daily.

But probably try[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, Royal offers prorated packages, so long as there are three nights remaining in the cruise.

IIRC, Royal offers prorated packages, so long as there are three nights remaining in the cruise.

Everything I've ever read indicates at least 4 nights must remain to purchase any beverage package. Or perhaps it is 4 days, depending on perspective.

Edited by Sitzmark

Everything I've ever read indicates at least 4 nights must remain to purchase any beverage package. Or perhaps it is 4 days, depending on perspective.

You are correct, 4 days is the company line, but I've seen one or two ships offer the packages for less time.

I'm not sure that anyone has said that having 5 drinks makes you a lush although I haven't followed this thread very closely so it's possible I missed a post.

So what did you mean when you said

"$809 for drinks for two people for a week sounds lushy to me."

I'm curious how you define a "lush". It's the amount of money you spend that makes you lushy, rather than the number of drinks? :confused:

I'm curious how you define a "lush". It's the amount of money you spend that makes you lushy, rather than the number of drinks? :confused:

I think a bar tab in excess of 800 dollars for my wife and I for a week would make me throw up. If that seems like a normal amount to spend for drinks in a week regardless of location, then I think you place a very high priority on drinking.

I think a bar tab in excess of 800 dollars for my wife and I for a week would make me throw up. If that seems like a normal amount to spend for drinks in a week regardless of location, then I think you place a very high priority on drinking.

Keep in mind that this isn't just for bar drinks. It may include specialty coffees, bottled water, sparking water and freshly squeezed OJ. It all adds up.

Keep in mind that this isn't just for bar drinks. It may include specialty coffees, bottled water, sparking water and freshly squeezed OJ. It all adds up.

actually the one for just over 800 doesn't include the fresh squeezed orange juice or specialty coffee, that costs even more. Since I don't mind tap water and don't drink sparkling water, it really is just for alcohol and perhaps an occasional soda.

Exactly. You could probably hit the "get your monies worth" point with 3 drinks, 2 coffees, and a couple of sodas/bottles of water in a day. If you have a sea day getting to those is very easy when on vacation for a number of people.

As I have said before if it isn't for you, great, don't buy it, but then why must you come make derogatory comments on these threads. As long as those who are buying it don't bother you while onboard with their drinking what impact does it have on you how they spend their money. Reminds me of all the old smoking threads in a way :rolleyes:

Exactly. You could probably hit the "get your monies worth" point with 3 drinks, 2 coffees, and a couple of sodas/bottles of water in a day. If you have a sea day getting to those is very easy when on vacation for a number of people.

except that it does not include coffee. to "get your monies worth" by your formula you have to accept that the prices they are asking are fair, I don't accept that premise.

I don't get why you are so upset that I disagree about the value of the package. :rolleyes: If you want it, and you think that the cruise line deserves it, then go ahead and give it to them.

Who made derogatory comments on this thread? certainly not I. I simply answered a question and stated an opinion which is the purpose of the thread.

I'm with you

I don't need or drink specialty coffees, bottled water, sparking water and freshly squeezed OJ.

At home I have 2 or 3 glasses of wine per week tops and my wife less than that. But at a party, where's the bar. My wife drinks too but very little.

My wife I drink all we want on a cruise and have never had a bar bill in excess of $200 - $250, but that was before diamond lounges and 3 free drinks per person. Last cruise, it was less than $50 and we drank plenty.

If some want to spend $100 per couple per day, I think it's ridiculous, but I could care less

As I have said before if it isn't for you, great, don't buy it, but then why must you come make derogatory comments on these threads. As long as those who are buying it don't bother you while onboard with their drinking what impact does it have on you how they spend their money. Reminds me of all the old smoking threads in a way :rolleyes:

I don't drink anything but water (tap on ship is fine) and black coffee. But your point is right on as far as I can see. What do I care what you do with your money, and unless you are taking a turn at the helm (is it still called helm or is it joystick), what do I care how much you drink. Not my business. Enjoy yourselves it's vacation.

Just as some people choose to book excursions at every port and others do not. Just as some cruisers opt to dine in the specialty dining restaurants and others do not. Just as some cruisers opt to eat in port instead of on ship during port days. Some cruisers choose drink packages while others do not. Everyone has their own way of vacationing on a cruise. there is no universal right or wrong way to cruise.

NOW . . . . . Don't know about THAT!!! - SIX drinks over the course of a whole day? Let's say you get up at 9am and go to bed around 11pm. That's 14 hours. That's ONE drink every 2 and 1/3 hours! (And don't fib - I've seen some pretty petite women drink me under the TABLE!!)

Regardless - I'm just kidding with you. You seem like someone who won't take me seriously!

I just can't drink like that. :( Sad but true. I like my drinkies! I want to imbibe more alcohol! Can't. Boo.

Weirdly, I'd likely do better if I tried to drink 5 in an evening vs 5 over the course of the day. My particular metabolism seems to magnify each drink over the course of the day. I get drunker and drunker, and really super-miserable. I know my metabolism since I've owned my body for approaching 46 years. :)

I also get quite a gut when drinking every day.

" FYI - Despite what many people think - heavier drinkers (especially women) tend to weigh LESS than those that don't consume much alcohol. (The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcohol studies that crap. :))"

How I wish my body would get onboard with that. I actually had to quit my one-beer-a-day enjoyable habit in order to lose my excess weight. I've only recently been able to add some beer/wine back in, but as soon as it becomes more than twice a week the weight goes right back up.

My heaviest-drinking female friend is still skinny-skinny, so HER body must have been what has been studied. :)

Except I said Over the Course of the Day, not in one sitting. Not even at night but over the course of the day. Yes one would get drunk if they drank it in one hit or even of the evening.

Seriously, I can't do it. 1 in a day. Maybe 2. Not more. The 1, maybe 2, is just fine. Though not day after day after day. I get more and more miserable over a day if I do that sort of thing, and the booze hits more and more. It's not a constant buzz like I read a description of on another board about another cruiseline that just changed their carry-onboard booze policy...that would be tons of fun! Wish I could do that. Doesn't work that way.

Who said "if you can't have six you can't have it" as far as I care you can buy it and not drink anything, the point is that if you will have about six drinks a day you will break even on the package.

And you can drink that amount and not be a "Lush" as others have claimed.

YOU did.

"And anyone who can't have 5 or 6 drinks over the course of the day without getting drunk shouldn't drink at all."

So I'm confused. :)

I'm not sure that anyone has said that having 5 drinks makes you a lush although I haven't followed this thread very closely so it's possible I missed a post.

Yeah, the 5 drinks wasn't connected with "lush" or "lushy" until that comment showed up, as far I noticed.

If some want to spend $100 per couple per day, I think it's ridiculous, but I could care less

The problem is that some people just get overly defensive, if you are talking about something they do, and you describe it with an unflattering adjective, whether that be "ridiculous" or "lushy" or anything else. Some people seem to live to be offended and get defensive about it. :D

I agree with all that, I drink 1 or 2 drinks a day on a cruise and still feel like I'm getting ripped off. But I don't feel superior to anyone who runs up a big bar tab, or feel the need to call them a derogatory name. That's just childish.

"Normal amount" to spend on anything varies greatly. My brother in law thinks I'm an irresponsible money waster for spending thousands every year on cruises and other travel, when he's perfectly happy camping out at the State Park.

But I don't feel superior to anyone who runs up a big bar tab, or feel the need to call them a derogatory name. That's just childish.

Ah, so you just feel superior to those who use a word you disapprove of (like "lushy") and feel the need to call them derogatory names (like "childish"). Seems fair.

Because he thinks the prices of the drinks are too high. Which he can do...

so in other words, he'd be a 'lush' it he wasn't 'cheap'.

Just as some people choose to book excursions at every port and others do not. Just as some cruisers opt to dine in the specialty dining restaurants and others do not. Just as some cruisers opt to eat in port instead of on ship during port days. Some cruisers choose drink packages while others do not. Everyone has their own way of vacationing on a cruise. there is no universal right or wrong way to cruise.

Agreed!! Very well stated.

DrB