Questions for recent Masdamn cruisers

richard1s

We will be sailing on the Maasdam next month and have a few questions as we finalize last minute preparations. Hoping some recent cruisers can provide some insight:

We are on the fence for formal night; monkey suit versus jacket and tie. Is the monkey suit/more formal attire for ladies option still well represented on formal night on this itinerary? We’re good with either.

Any “don’t miss” entertainment on the sailing? How about embarkation/disembarkation?

Finally, any suggestions for “things to do” in Sydney? This is a port I can’t find much about.

Appreciate any comments and happy travelling!

Was last on Maasdam December so not too recently. And we took Volendam to Sydney the year prior. So I will try start you off...

As for your attire question, I suggest you pack what you would enjoy wearing and can manage easily as for luggage. There will be a few men in tuxedo and a few women in gowns but the large majority of men will be in suit or jacket/slacks with dress shirt and tie; women are more difficult to categorize (isn't that the truth!) but their dress-up attire will mostly be long or dressy skirts or fancy pants with sparkly tops and or wraps.

As for Sydney... we spent a week there and had a ball... and we usually don't gravitate to cities but loved Sydney. We took the ferries to the far side of the harbor - enjoyed all the ferry rides; went to Manly beach, enjoyed a tour (and performance) of the Opera House, went twice to the Rocks and enjoyed the small but captivating museum of the history of Sydney and the immigration wave; we took the train to the Blue Mountains for a full day there - purchased a day tour package just outside the train station. We visited the lovely QV building but it was Christmas time and so beautifully decorated; loved the library (just a couple of blocks up from the quay) and its floor inlay that shows the voyages of Capt Cook. Oh, and the nearby gardens are wonderful on a hot day. Many people went to their excellent zoo... take the ferry from the quay.

Check out the ports forum and post your question with how much time you will have and what time of year. Enjoy, m--

We will be sailing on the Maasdam next month and have a few questions as we finalize last minute preparations. Hoping some recent cruisers can provide some insight:

We are on the fence for formal night; monkey suit versus jacket and tie. Is the monkey suit/more formal attire for ladies option still well represented on formal night on this itinerary? We’re good with either.

Any “don’t miss” entertainment on the sailing? How about embarkation/disembarkation?

Finally, any suggestions for “things to do” in Sydney? This is a port I can’t find much about.

We were on her for 2 weeks in May. We liked the Strings playing before dinner - excellent IMO.

In Sydney, I did the coal mine excursion and loved it. If you are afraid of closed in places, obviously you do not want to go into an real mine! Nothing to see and do in town - we walked the whole thing and it was a bit depressing.

I can't be much help since my May/15 cruise was a 15 day repo cruise. There were monkey suits but I would expect more on a longer cruise.

As for Sydney, I would go to Fortress Louisbourg. We did go there in May but it was too early in the season for the full experience. But I thoroughly enjoyed our group's interaction with the soldier and housekeeper there. I understand that when it is fully active, there are more characters to encounter who describe what the conditions were like at the time. It takes about an hour each way from Sydney. We did the HAL tour because it was a last minute decision to go on a tour there. I would go back in a heartbeat just to see it at its best.

Enjoy your cruise!

Was last on Maasdam December so not too recently. And we took Volendam to Sydney the year prior. So I will try start you off...

As for your attire question, I suggest you pack what you would enjoy wearing and can manage easily as for luggage. There will be a few men in tuxedo and a few women in gowns but the large majority of men will be in suit or jacket/slacks with dress shirt and tie; women are more difficult to categorize (isn't that the truth!) but their dress-up attire will mostly be long or dressy skirts or fancy pants with sparkly tops and or wraps.

As for Sydney... we spent a week there and had a ball... and we usually don't gravitate to cities but loved Sydney. We took the ferries to the far side of the harbor - enjoyed all the ferry rides; went to Manly beach, enjoyed a tour (and performance) of the Opera House, went twice to the Rocks and enjoyed the small but captivating museum of the history of Sydney and the immigration wave; we took the train to the Blue Mountains for a full day there - purchased a day tour package just outside the train station. We visited the lovely QV building but it was Christmas time and so beautifully decorated; loved the library (just a couple of blocks up from the quay) and its floor inlay that shows the voyages of Capt Cook. Oh, and the nearby gardens are wonderful on a hot day. Many people went to their excellent zoo... take the ferry from the quay.

Check out the ports forum and post your question with how much time you will have and what time of year. Enjoy, m--

I'm fairly sure the OP is talking about Sydney, Nova Scotia, not Sydney, Australia. The Maasdam doesn't go down to Australia until next year, I think.

OP is talking about Sydney, Nova Scotia.

A few years ago, a young British couple flew into Sydney, Nova Scotia, for a holiday. Only after they landed did they realize that they were in the wrong Sydney. Air Canada (?) took pity on them and flew them on to Australia.

EDIT: Sorry Alberta Quilter, typing at the same time. :)

Edited by Fouremco

We'll be on the September 12 sailing, and Sydney is the only port we've left open and made no arrangements for. Part of the difficulty is that with an 11:00 A.M. arrival time, you won't have time for many of the better excursions.

The Fortress of Louisbourg (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index.aspx) is probably your best bet, but bear in mind that in September there are fewer buildings open, fewer demonstrations and fewer staff in period costumes.

We've visited Cape Breton many times, as we used to live in Nova Scotia. Depending on the weather the morning we arrive, we may go for a walk in town and spend the rest of the day as a "sea day", or we may rent a car and go for a drive. There are lots of pretty drives in the area.

Given the recent change in dress code, we won't make up our minds what to take until we see reports from cruises over the next few weeks.

Edited by Fouremco

We were on the ship from August 8 to 15

I saw one tux. I saw about 50% of men in "suits". I saw about 25% of men in sports jacket. I saw about ... 5 or 6 ladies in what I call "sparkly wear". Jacket and tie will be fine, based on what I saw.

We found entertainment to be very amateur. Maasdam singers and dancers kind of like a high school show. Comedian/magician acts were just okay. Compared to NCL, I think entertainment is lacking. However, we loved the huge explorer's lounge with puzzles and books. We found the bar guitar player and piano player very enjoyable as well. Just the shows theatre in were not very good.

Embarkation was very easy. We got to terminal in Montreal at 11:15 (left hotel at checkout) and were on ship by 12:45 and cabins were available, which was amazing. Disembarkation super easy, as we did customs at Bar Harbour, so we just had to walk off in Boston

We couldn't find anything to do in Sydney either. We are Canadian and teachers so for us, the HAL sponsored trip to Fortress of Louisburg was a no brainer. We loved Louisburg. Now that we've done the ship one once, I think I'd try to arrange transportation out there (45 min drive) privately, because the ship sponsored one left way too early for us - we were back at the ship at 1:30 and it didn't leave until 3:00. We really wished we could have had the extra hour at the Fortress. In any case, if you're not into Canadian history, the Fortress might not be for you

DH and I in mid-forties, just so you know the age demographic, if it's helpful.

Edited by lisakoivu

I'm fairly sure the OP is talking about Sydney, Nova Scotia, not Sydney, Australia. The Maasdam doesn't go down to Australia until next year, I think.

OOOPS I'm very sorry I misunderstood :| Apologies to all.... but I had good memories!!! m--

It was a pleasure reading your post. It was an easy mistake to make seeing OP was not exactly specific. :)

Right...... Maasdam has not yet gone down under for recent cruises.

We rented a car from Enterprise and drove as far up the Cabot Trail as time allowed before returning to port, I think it may have been Neil's Harbor. We had beautiful weather that day so the scenery was spectacular. We knew we had made the right decision for us when we stopped off at a restaurant/gift shop to get a coffee and muffin and came upon a HAL bus load of folks in an incredibly long line to use the restrooms. Some of the folks had very not happy faces on them which you couldn't blame them for but we were glad to not be part of. We just got back in our car and drove on down the road to the next place where we were the only customers and had a great conversation with the owner. Enterprise met us at the dock and returned us there at the end of the day. We're DIY's when on vacation and this worked very well for us.

I returned from the Maasdam two months ago and really enjoyed the ship and itinerary.

In Sydney I did the Cabot Trail tour with the ship as a last minute excursion. I actually wasn't going to do anything at this port and treat it like a sea day. I'm glad I didn't, the Cabot Trail tour was pricey however I was happy I did it. It was a scenic and leisurely trip with a great guide. It also helped that I had great weather. Not sure how great the excursion would be if the weather was inclement. Enjoy your cruise!

I saw one tux. I saw about 50% of men in "suits". I saw about 25% of men in sports jacket. I saw about ... 5 or 6 ladies in what I call "sparkly wear". Jacket and tie will be fine, based on what I saw.

So about 25% in collared shirt and slacks?

It was an easy mistake to make seeing OP was not exactly specific.

Well, thanks for speaking on my behalf. I guess someone could have also thought I meant Sydney Florida (but probably not Sydney North Dakota).

But I appreciate the other replies. As a result of your suggestions, we've decided to leave the real dressy stuff behind and to rent a car in Sydney (Canada). That seems like the absolute best option to get out and see the sights.

Once again, thanks.

Well, thanks for speaking on my behalf. I guess someone could have also thought I meant Sydney Florida (but probably not Sydney North Dakota).

But I appreciate the other replies. As a result of your suggestions, we've decided to leave the real dressy stuff behind and to rent a car in Sydney (Canada). That seems like the absolute best option to get out and see the sights.

Once again, thanks.

Check out Toms Port Guides for Sydney, NS....excellent information there especially his Driving Tour Guide...http://www.tomsportguides.com/CapeBretonTours-02-05-2013.pdf

we are just off Maasdam and had an amazing time. We will be posting a full review later. Formal night was not nearly as formal as it used to be. The piano bar was good and don't miss the lowland bagpiper and violinist. We loved our private excursion with Don Blackwood. We went to the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Sydney and were very impressed with the museum and town.

So about 25% in collared shirt and slacks?

Well, you could say that, but then we'd be at 100% and I forgot to account for the surprising number of people who stuck with the Lido and didn't dress at all. LOL. So my math is faulty, I guess. Numbers aside, You really will be completely fine on this particular cruise in collared shirt and slacks.

I forgot to say in my earlier post, we even encountered an extended family at the magic show (there were parents, two brothers, their wives, and about 5 kids under five). One of the two brothers, mid-30's, I'd say, was wearing what I call a blue chambray, or oxford cloth button up shirt, no tie, and docker type pants. He and his dad were having a conversation the gist of which was that he hadn't been sure he'd get in to the dining room dressed that way, but he did.

Well, you could say that, but then we'd be at 100% and I forgot to account for the surprising number of people who stuck with the Lido and didn't dress at all. LOL. So my math is faulty, I guess. Numbers aside, You really will be completely fine on this particular cruise in collared shirt and slacks.

I forgot to say in my earlier post, we even encountered an extended family at the magic show (there were parents, two brothers, their wives, and about 5 kids under five). One of the two brothers, mid-30's, I'd say, was wearing what I call a blue chambray, or oxford cloth button up shirt, no tie, and docker type pants. He and his dad were having a conversation the gist of which was that he hadn't been sure he'd get in to the dining room dressed that way, but he did.

Thanks for getting back to us Lisa. :)