Weather in Alaska for September 7-21.

3 cats in a row

Good Morning everyone, I have a question to what is the weather like in

Alaska? Cause I leave on Sept 7-21 and starting to pack my suitcases

as well.

On the Statendam cruise line.

Do I need lots of warm clothes or just some summer type of clothes?

Or do I need both .

sally aka 3 cats in a row.

Alaska is unpredictable. You won't need a lot of summer clothes, if any. (You don't say where you're from, so I don't know what your idea of summer clothes is) We wore jeans and long-sleeved t's or turtlenecks and then fleece and/or windbreakers over that. Sneakers and socks, not sandals.

Plan on layering. That way you can adjust to changes in the weather.

Make sure you've got a rain jacket for the "liquid sunshine." Also a hat and gloves because it can be chilly on deck for glacier viewing.

Hope this helps. Alaska is gorgeous!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The times I have been to Alaska that late in the season, it has been wet and cold. Miserable weather.

The time I was cruising there the first week of September, it was warm and sunny; the staff said it was the best week all season.

I would be well prepared for the cold/wet, if I were you. And bring maybe one summer outfit.

The times I have been to Alaska that late in the season, it has been wet and cold. Miserable weather.

The time I was cruising there the first week of September, it was warm and sunny; the staff said it was the best week all season.

I would be well prepared for the cold/wet, if I were you. And bring maybe one summer outfit.

Between us we're good examples of how unpredictable it can be. We sailed on the last Alaska trip of the season out of Vancouver a few years ago and the weather was gorgeous except for drizzle in Ketchican, our last port.

I think it was Capt Albert who said in AK you can have all four seasons on any day! On our C-T Sep 16 to 23 we had a beautiful Indian Summer day in Fairbanks followed by a miserable cold rain/snow day at Denali. For the cruise part from Seward to Vancouver it pretty much alternated between nice and nasty. In Juneau we had nasty in the morning and nice in the afternoon ... so prepare for anything. :)

Edited by jtl513

It will be cooler in Alaska when you are there.

It is wise to layer and to have a waterproof jacket, fleece or sweater or sweatshirt, hat gloves and scarf and waterproof pants.

Good chance of rain in September and less daylight than in the summer months.

Keith

I've heard from friends Alaska has been unusually warm this summer. Really a hard one to call this year. Be prepared for warm or cold and wet- you likely will see all of the above.

We've had a record breaking summer in Washington- very warm and dry.

as well.

Or do I need both .

As others have said, you need layers. That will give you flexibility to adapt to whatever the weather might turn out to be. We cruised Alaska in September and had spectacular weather. I didn't regret having layers, as I could peel off what wasn't needed. Your top/outer layer needs to be rainproof, preferably with a hood.

as well.

Or do I need both .

You might check out cruise outlook dot com. When you get to the site, chose "weather report" then HAL, then Statendam for Sept 07. This site will give you a 7 day forecast for each of the ports on the cruise. The report updates once per day and includes temperatures, precipitation, humidity, wind speed and other stuff. I have been using this site for the past 2 years. I learned about it on RCCL cruise critic roll calls.

PS: see you aboard. Harry Stewart and I will be in cabin 590 unless we get an upgrade before the 7th. This will be our 4th trip to Alaska, but first Alaska with HAL, and our first in September.

Kathy

It will be cooler in Alaska when you are there.

It is wise to layer and to have a waterproof jacket, fleece or sweater or sweatshirt, hat gloves and scarf and waterproof pants.

Good chance of rain in September and less daylight than in the summer months.

Keith

We sailed the same time you are planning -- lived in polar fleece & raingear. The next year, a friend sailing at the same time, got sunburned....go figure....

I concur with the other responders about layering, as weather can be highly variable. However, I will say that you are a great situation to buy extra clothing as needed either on the ship or in ports. You will be at the end of season, and both HAL and the ports will be clearing out their clothing. So you could take a chance and pack an reasonable amount of clothing and supplement as you go. Only drawback is you will have to shop, but that could be a bonus!

We sailed on the Statendam last September for a 7 night in Southeast out of Vancouver. Sunny every day execept Ketchikan. However, everyone said the previous week was miserable with rain and wind. Be a good scout - be prepared for anything and then you can enjoy everything.

If you can get the weather underground app, you can follow the local weather stations (actual private stations on location on the ground, not from the meteorologists reporting to TV) to help give you a better idea as the time approaches. We've had some pretty unpredictable weather this year in BC so I imagine it's been similar up north. With all due respect to the weather network and accuweather, they are not reliable...