Mariner

woogie

Has anyone had experience with being upgraded from a guarantee CatH on Mariner?

We booked an Hgty for our cruise embarking this Thursday and have just been allocated a MasterSuite :D....................sorry, just wishful thinking ;)............we have actually been allocated an F :). Thankfully it is a cabin with a shower rather than a tub.

Less than 3 days to go :):)

Hi, we will be on a F GTY in a week or so ( Voyager) and still don't know our cabin number. I called RSSC last week and was told that it could either be a few days before or wait until you are on the ship to find out.

We sailed on Mariner in May and were given our number straight away but didn't realise the GTY suites were given as and when.

Think we are happy with most of them but i guess we will have to wait and see.

Happy travels!

Pam.

So much depends upon how full the ship is, which categories are waitlisted (and could possibly receive upsell offers), etc. I would not hesitate to book a guarantee on the Mariner but would be worried that we would end up with an aft suite on the Navigator or Voyager. While we can tolerate the aft vibration, it certainly would not be our first choice. On the other hand, aft suites on the Mariner are delightful!

We have taken advantage of upsells many times but learned that it is important to know the ship layout pretty well so that when the offer comes through you can respond quickly. Our first upsell (on the Voyager) was so exciting that we took it before realizing that the Penthouse A suite was under the swimming pool. We won't make that mistake again.

So much depends upon how full the ship is, which categories are waitlisted (and could possibly receive upsell offers), etc. I would not hesitate to book a guarantee on the Mariner but would be worried that we would end up with an aft suite on the Navigator or Voyager. While we can tolerate the aft vibration, it certainly would not be our first choice. On the other hand, aft suites on the Mariner are delightful!

We have taken advantage of upsells many times but learned that it is important to know the ship layout pretty well so that when the offer comes through you can respond quickly. Our first upsell (on the Voyager) was so exciting that we took it before realizing that the Penthouse A suite was under the swimming pool. We won't make that mistake again.

Thank you so much TC2 for your advice.

We obviously have to take what we get and will be happy with most of the staterooms and are not too bothered with vibrations.

This is only our second time with Regent, the first a rushed booking and a concierge suite (after much thought and husband's workload included) we enjoyed it so much we booked again without really looking at what a GTY suite meant at the time.

I don't know what the "upsell" is, can you elaborate for the UK passengers or is it for the US only?

Pam.

Wine tastings, at least two lectures a day, a "country fair", cooking demonstrations/competitions and numerous games on board (put on by the crew). Most long time Regent cruisers only select voyages where there are sea days. For us, a perfect cruise would be 50% sea days - no matter how long the cruise is!

Pamela1 - an upsell is when your travel agent contacts you before the cruise to let you know you can get a better suite for X$ (or in your case pounds). We have enjoyed upsells on a few of our cruises, moving from a G, for instance, to a PH for what had previously been the cost difference to a D. We once snagged an upsell to a Horizon Suite on the Mariner. Now that was something!! If you are possibly interested in something like this you should advise your TA now, and he/she can advise his/her Regent contacts in Ft. Lauderdale keep them in the loop.

-

We have heard (through hearsay only) that certain TA's (including ours) get a lot of these offers because of their longstanding relationship with Regent and (probably) the number of their clients that accept the upsells. If you do get an offer you do need to act fast, and familiarity with the ship helps (this is also where an experienced TA can be useful).

-

As for the guarantee question, we have never had an H guarantee, but we have had G guarantees a couple of times and the best cabin we got was a D, and the other time just to an F. In both cases we were offered upsells. We held off on the one for the D and we were then offered an even better upsell. We've also been offered free cancellation and the offer of better cruises for the same money on oversold cruises. We haven't been able to take advantage of any of those offers since we both still work and have to schedule our vacations in advance. But I have read of some folks that did and it really paid off.

-

So far the next 2 cruises we have booked look pretty wide open and we have saved to go ahead and get the upsold cabins in advance - so the only upsells we might get offered are to master suites or above. Fat chance - those are always the first to sell out! We do get to try our first Navigator Suite (1125 per Travelcat's recommendation) this fall and hope that is a real treat.

-

I think we will hold off on the Explorer until 2017, get the bugs out and read the first reviews, but we love the size of the mid-level cabins and balconies, at least from what we have seen so far.

-

Jeff

Pamela1 - an upsell is when your travel agent contacts you before the cruise to let you know you can get a better suite for X$ (or in your case pounds). We have enjoyed upsells on a few of our cruises, moving from a G, for instance, to a PH for what had previously been the cost difference to a D. We once snagged an upsell to a Horizon Suite on the Mariner. Now that was something!! If you are possibly interested in something like this you should advise your TA now, and he/she can advise his/her Regent contacts in Ft. Lauderdale keep them in the loop.

-

We have heard (through hearsay only) that certain TA's (including ours) get a lot of these offers because of their longstanding relationship with Regent and (probably) the number of their clients that accept the upsells. If you do get an offer you do need to act fast, and familiarity with the ship helps (this is also where an experienced TA can be useful).

-

As for the guarantee question, we have never had an H guarantee, but we have had G guarantees a couple of times and the best cabin we got was a D, and the other time just to an F. In both cases we were offered upsells. We held off on the one for the D and we were then offered an even better upsell. We've also been offered free cancellation and the offer of better cruises for the same money on oversold cruises. We haven't been able to take advantage of any of those offers since we both still work and have to schedule our vacations in advance. But I have read of some folks that did and it really paid off.

-

So far the next 2 cruises we have booked look pretty wide open and we have saved to go ahead and get the upsold cabins in advance - so the only upsells we might get offered are to master suites or above. Fat chance - those are always the first to sell out! We do get to try our first Navigator Suite (1125 per Travelcat's recommendation) this fall and hope that is a real treat.

-

I think we will hold off on the Explorer until 2017, get the bugs out and read the first reviews, but we love the size of the mid-level cabins and balconies, at least from what we have seen so far.

-

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the explanation,

This is only our second Regent cruise. We tried to use a travel agent but they seemed to have little knowledge about Regent and so we went to (rssc.co.uk) for our bookings. There doesn't seem to be any wiggle room there as they seem to be the only one (that i have seen) doing the UK side of things ( any advice is appreciated)

Well done you on your upsells and also good luck with your 2 future cruises, hope you get the upgrade!

Pam.

Hi Pam, we have a very good travel agent that we have gone to for years. We were invited by her to an evening at the shop where Regent were doing a chat and personal information. We had previously been cruising with Celebrity which we very much enjoyed, but our agent felt we would appreciate an introduction to Regent. So here we are 6 cruises later and planning next year's too.

Do you have any agents in your area that invite people to the information evenings or ships visits? Our agent invites guests to Invergordon for certain visits when in port, ask around if you have anyone in your area likewise.

Have a wonderful cruise on your up and coming voyage, and hope you get a real special upgrade,

Jean.

Hi Pam, we have a very good travel agent that we have gone to for years. We were invited by her to an evening at the shop where Regent were doing a chat and personal information. We had previously been cruising with Celebrity which we very much enjoyed, but our agent felt we would appreciate an introduction to Regent. So here we are 6 cruises later and planning next year's too.

Do you have any agents in your area that invite people to the information evenings or ships visits? Our agent invites guests to Invergordon for certain visits when in port, ask around if you have anyone in your area likewise.

Have a wonderful cruise on your up and coming voyage, and hope you get a real special upgrade,

Jean.

Hi Jean, thank's for that, it's much appreciated.

We have no TA at all, it's shocking i know but we only got onto Regent this year and had looked at ships that would really suit us, tried the local (fairly well known TA) and they hadn't a clue.

We were looking to go and see the Voyager last week but to be honest is seemed like too much hard work to find out how to do it.

Sounds as though you had a great experience with your TA and i'm sure we have long lost relatives in Invergorden ha!

Thanks.

Pam.

That's a shame about that. It makes all the difference having the confidence knowing you have good support and knowledge from the travel agent. Let us know how you get on when you find out your cabin allocation and fingers X you get a lovely upgrade.

Jean.

That's a shame about that. It makes all the difference having the confidence knowing you have good support and knowledge from the travel agent. Let us know how you get on when you find out your cabin allocation and fingers X you get a lovely upgrade.

Jean.

Hi Jean, we are not too bothered at the moment as most of the rooms look fine but i guess we will live and learn. After this cruise we will try and look for a TA that deals with Regent but to be honest we are pretty lazy in that regard but will make an effort. :D

I will let you know if we get an upgrade but won't bet my mortgage on it! :)

Pam.

That's a great location in mid ships. Just perfect for you. Are you all sorted with your excursions? It's a lovely itinerary you are going on. We took a Baltic cruise about 8 years ago and enjoyed it. For me St. Petersburg was the highlight of the cruise it's packed full of history.

Have a wonderful time and hope you let us know how you are getting on. Cool fizzy and wonderful food awaits, best wishes Jean.:)

That's a great location in mid ships. Just perfect for you. Are you all sorted with your excursions? It's a lovely itinerary you are going on. We took a Baltic cruise about 8 years ago and enjoyed it. For me St. Petersburg was the highlight of the cruise it's packed full of history.

Have a wonderful time and hope you let us know how you are getting on. Cool fizzy and wonderful food awaits, best wishes Jean.:)

H Jean,

Yes, very pleased with the location on the ship, all sorted with excursions too. We have never been to this part of the world and are very excited about it all. We have booked 2 excursions in St Petersburg and can't wait now.

Looking forward to the fizzy and being pampered too! :D

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Pam.

That's what holidays are for to enjoy, am in agreement there. Look forward to your posts or reviews after cruise. Best wishes, Jean.:)

Indeed Jean, will post when i get back as we are only in cattle class and don't get internet access.....actually we were in a Concierge suite last time and didn't use it either, too many things going on. Hope for the same this time.

Pam. :D

Pam, either you did not say or I have past up post. What cruise are you on?

Hi Dakota, we are on the Voyager form Stockholm to Copenhagen next week.

I was only asking about the many sea day voyages because we are still looking at booking for next year and was unsure about a long voyage without land, sadly, it isn't for us.

Pam.