Wheres the crab legs ???

RedmondCruiser

Last time on the Oosterdam they said that they didn't get their allocation of King Crab Legs in the Pinnacle. Now, going on the Amsterdam for a month long cruise and I see that the King Crab Legs have disappeared from the Pinnacle menu ????? Why the change ?? Possibly they don't watch Deadliest Catch ? They have totally messed with the Pinnacle menu to the point where very little is the same. I guess I hope that the MDR will have better sense. In prior years I used to order the Thai Soup, the Ocean Platter and the surf and turf. ( ALL GONE) and the Baked Alaska was flamebade. (also gone) . Therefore I would really like to know why they dropped the King Crab Legs. ---- I would have been fine with the $20 extra.

Last time on the Oosterdam they said that they didn't get their allocation of King Crab Legs in the Pinnacle. Now, going on the Amsterdam for a month long cruise and I see that the King Crab Legs have disappeared from the Pinnacle menu ????? Why the change ?? Possibly they don't watch Deadliest Catch ? They have totally messed with the Pinnacle menu to the point where very little is the same. I guess I hope that the MDR will have better sense. In prior years I used to order the Thai Soup, the Ocean Platter and the surf and turf. ( ALL GONE) and the Baked Alaska was flamebade. (also gone) . Therefore I would really like to know why they dropped the King Crab Legs. ---- I would have been fine with the $20 extra.

Leave a note at the front desk for the hotel manager and ask. Then post your response when you get back from your cruise. Personally I don't like crab legs and prefer the crab cakes. Just don't tell me the crab cakes are also gone:D

Fresh King crab is only caught in Nov or Dec if I'm not mistaken. I can eat previously frozen crab at home!

King Crab can be caught almost all year round. Like any crab is is available all year round. The big Bering sea fishery is in Nov and Dec.

When I lived on the coast of BC. You could fish for crab all year round.

On our November Noordam cruise I was able to get the King Crab legs. And they were large and delicious.

But on our March/April Zuiderdam cruises, the Pinnacle chef would not sell them as they were very tiny.

I think Hal has chosen to buy the smaller ones and thus they weren't selling and removed from the menu.Ma

Why did they remove the Northwest Clam Chowder and French Onion Soup from the menu? They were very popular and certainly some sort of high priced delicacy. It isn't as though they were replaced with some other out of this world soup.

Why did they remove the Northwest Clam Chowder and French Onion Soup from the menu? They were very popular and certainly some sort of high priced delicacy. It isn't as though they were replaced with some other out of this world soup.

When did they remove the French Onion Soup?

(Sorry, slightly off topic!)

When did they remove the French Onion Soup?

(Sorry, slightly off topic!)

About two years ago.

They still have the onion soup for lunch in Pinnacle and in the MDR but the wonderful, delicious one on Pinnacle dinner menu is long gone. :(

Edited by sail7seas

About two years ago.

They still have the onion soup for lunch in Pinnacle and in the MDR but the wonderful, delicious one on Pinnacle dinner menu is long gone. :(

Thanks! I enjoy the French Onion Soup in the MDR. Guess it's good I never had the other one to compare it to.:D

hmm - would have bet that we had the French onion soup in the Pinnacle in early Dec on the Noordam - or maybe wished we had it

You can order onion soup in the Pinnacle at dinnertime, and you will be served some, but it will be the dining room soup. It is definitely not what they used to serve in there. :(

I have gone in at lunchtime to ask they hold a portion of the lunch onion soup (it's a different soup) when I'm going there for dinner that night. Sometimes they are able to do that for me.

Sounds like some recent changes have occurred. So just what is on the PG menu?

If you had lunch in Pinnacle, you may have had the Five Onion Soup which is a different recipe and is not offered at dinner.

I had the five onion soup twice in the Pinnacle at lunch during my TA cruise. It's nothing to write home about. I only tried it a second time to see if the first time the soup was off. But the rest of the meal and dessert were very good.

I agree, Sue, the Five Onion Soup at lunch is okay but I used to really like the French Onion I ordered a number of times at dinner. I was very disappointed when I tried to order it and was told they no longer served it. :(

Edited by sail7seas

Sounds like some recent changes have occurred. So just what is on the PG menu?

This was the menu as of April 2015 -- but it sounds like some changes have happened since then:

Starters:

TOMATO BROTH WITH SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN with flavors of kaffir lime and cilantro

LOBSTER BISQUE

crème fraîche and aged cognac

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

brandy horseradish cocktail sauce

CAESAR SALAD

heart of romaine, grated parmesan cheese, garlic

croutons, anchovies and house-made dressing

BEEFSTEAK TOMATO AND BASIL

sliced red onion, pesto, extra virgin

olive oil and balsamic reduction

* STEAK TARTARE

seasoned finely-chopped Double R Ranch beef

accompanied with parsley, cornichon, capers and red onion

JUMBO-LUMP CRAB CAKES

sweet chili-mustard sauce

* OSSETRA MALOSSOL CAVIAR $45

served on ice with crème fraîche and buckwheat blini

THE GRILL

DOUBLE R RANCH STEAKS

served with your choice of hand-crafted sauce:

sun-dried tomato ° master chef ’s green peppercorn ° béarnaise ° horseradish-mustard ° hollandaise ° maitre d’ garlic butter

* 7OZ. PETITE FILET MIGNON

* 10 OZ. FILET MIGNON

* 23 OZ. PORTERHOUSE

* 12 OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

* 18 OZ. BONE-IN RIB EYE STEAK

* GRILLED COLORADO LAMB CHOPS

spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce

* DOUBLE-CUT KUROBUTA PORK CHOP

marinated in rosemary, garlic and pepper vinegar with scallions

ROASTED JIDORI CHICKEN WITH PORCINI MUSHROOMS

cider vinegar jus, forbiden ric

e cake with quinoa and apricot, mâche salad and toasted pistachio nuts

SEAFOOD

* BROILED ALASKAN KING SALMON

with lemon garlic herb splash

KING CRAB LEGS $20

your choice steamed or broiled served with drawn butter

* CEDAR PLANKED PACIFIC HALIBUT WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

roasted garlic and cilantro butter

WEST COAST STYLE SEAFOOD CIOPPINO

tomato braised clams, mussels, shrimp, Alaskan crab and halibut

THE VEGETARIAN INTRIGUE

BAKED-STUFFED EGGPLANT

ragoût of zucchini, onion, eggplant and tomato on creamy polenta

WILD MUSHROOM RAVIOLI

in pesto cream sauce

ROASTED PUMPKIN RISOTTO

mascarpone cheese and Swiss chard

SHAREABLE SIDES

wilted spinach - sautéed mushrooms - baby carrots - grilled asparagus

Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and pancetta - classic whipped potatoes - shoestring fries with truffle aïoli

INDIVIDUAL SIDE

jumbo baked Idaho potato

Holland America Line only serves sustainable seafood

THE FINALE

NOT-SO-CLASSIC BAKED ALASKA

Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream with Bing cherries jubilee

WARM GRAND MARNIER CHOCOLATE VOLCANO CAKE

the ultimate chocolate experience

PINNACLE SOUFFLÉ

vanilla soufflé with base of mixed berry compote and finished with molten Drambuie cream truffle

LEMON-BRÛLÉE TART

blueberry whipped cream

CREAMY HOMEMADE RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE

served with fresh berries

FRESH BERRIES

with a Sabayon sauce

PREMIUM ICE CREAM AND SORBET

DAILY CHEESE PLATE

Thanks! I enjoy the French Onion Soup in the MDR. Guess it's good I never had the other one to compare it to.:D

As someone who regularly orders the MDR french onion soup A TON when onboard I can honestly say that for me the PG French Onion wasn't all that great.

If it gives an idea, when I did the Master Chefs Dinner on Nieuw Amsterdam I passed on the porcini soup course. They asked if I would like French Onion as a substitute, as they could bring me the PG French Onion. I asked if they could instead do the one from the MDR as I preferred it. Not even a hesitation and when it was served there was a quiet "I agree, it's so good" as it was served. :)

As someone who regularly orders the MDR french onion soup A TON when onboard I can honestly say that for me the PG French Onion wasn't all that great.

Having also had both varieties (sometimes on the same cruise), I agree with you 100% ... but then again, taste is a very personal and subjective matter, so I assume there are many who feel exactly the opposite ... viva la difference!!!

About two years ago.

Still off topic as I don't eat crab, but I DO eat French Onion soup! I prefer the room service version better than the MDR. I usually get it at least twice per cruise. May be worth trying to see if it's close to PG's!

If it gives an idea, when I did the Master Chefs Dinner on Nieuw Amsterdam I passed on the porcini soup course. They asked if I would like French Onion as a substitute, as they could bring me the PG French Onion. I asked if they could instead do the one from the MDR as I preferred it. Not even a hesitation and when it was served there was a quiet "I agree, it's so good" as it was served. :)

Food is so subjective. Not surprising I might really like something you do not. :D

Still off topic as I don't eat crab, but I DO eat French Onion soup! I prefer the room service version better than the MDR. I usually get it at least twice per cruise. May be worth trying to see if it's close to PG's!

I've always been under the impression that the MDR and Room Service are the exact same soup and only the PG had a different variation.

And something that just came to mind, for those talking about the PG French Onion... it likely went away as it may be safe to expect French Onion will be in Koningsdam's new French Restaurant, Sel de Mer.

They've released nothing about the menu yet... no shock there... but it would make more sense in a French eatery than a Pacific Northwest steakhouse and it doesn't make much sense to have it in nearly every venue across the ships...