Explore 4 beverage card and mariner spending question

cruz chic

OK, folks, here is a written reply from the Mariner Society:

So, as most of us have said over the past couple of days or so, no credits for drinks ordered on your Explore4 beverage card, confirmed in writing by the Mariner Society.

Aw.... I was really hoping that we could just buy a $1,200 watch every four days and return it - cuz only the spending side of the ledger counts. ;)

If you are one of the people who personally got bad info from HAL, and if this means a lot to you, send them a hard mail letter, preferably certified w/ return receipt, documenting every thing you know about the call. Dates, times, names, etc. and ask them to review the call records. (You know, the "This call is being recorded for quality assurance" thing.) Make sure you supply your phone number because calls to a Toll-Free number always log the originating telephone number, even if you have caller ID blocking.

Then, when you are on the ship, keep all your beverage slips in case you don't get credit. And, when you are closing in on that 15th drink of the day, and your field of vision is starting to collapse, remember to stand up on your barstool** and scream, "Barkeep! Another round, and fresh horses for my men! Tonight, we're drinking for Mariner stars!"

**This is just an assumption on my part. If you are trying to get the Signature Beverage Package Gold Medal, you probably don't have time to wait for no stinking waiter.

VqomZQMZQCQ

Edited by POA1

This is the best reply from HAL yet. Clear as crystal.

Explore 4 drinks are not "onboard spending" (not charged to your credit card at the end of the cruise).

So, Explore 4 drinks don't count towards the $300= 1 cruise day credit program.

Once again, IMO, Mariners Society shows themselves to be one of the best managed departments at HAL. They consistently respond to issues promptly, usually very appropriately and clearly.

Thanks Foremco for posting the message you got from them.

And, when you are closing in on that 15th drink of the day, and your field of vision is starting to collapse, remember to stand up on your barstool** and scream, "Barkeep! Another round, and fresh horses for my men! Tonight, we're drinking for Mariner stars!"

**This is just an assumption on my part. If you are trying to get the Signature Beverage Package Gold Medal, you probably don't have time to wait for no stinking waiter.

And when I fall off that bar stool (after 14 shots of bourbon) do I sue HAL - or you?;)

Edited by dakrewser

Once again, IMO, Mariners Society shows themselves to be one of the best managed departments at HAL. They consistently respond to issues promptly, usually very appropriately and clearly.

Thanks Foremco for posting the message you got from them.

The problem is that they gave out incorrect information yesterday even when questioned. This information came from a supervisor. I'm happy that they have changed the information that they gave out incorrectly yesterday but it would be nice to be consistent. They could have saved themselves some extra work.

LOL!!!!

POA1 you come up with the best case scenarios for all!

Thank you for making my day!

Denise:)

My pleasure. It's not often that one can use footage from a Humphrey Bogart movie in a post. (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 1948. Directed by John Huston.)

Thanks also POA for making me laugh out loud and putting a smile on my face.

At least they admit they told us the wrong info...two days in a row. I was never questioning the integrity of the members during yesterday's free-for-all, but I didn't expect to have my integrity questioned either. The messenger was shot several times!

I just had a long chat with a Mariner Society Supervisor. Obviously she was very apologetic about them giving out bad info, but as it's a "free" package, no dice. My remark to her was, "Don't tell me Explore 4 is free. I watched the fares go up when Explore was announced". She acquiesced and said she would propose to mgmt that the Beverage Package value be included in one's on board spending total for cruise-day credit like any other amenity. I'm not holding my breath, but who knows, all this chatter might do us some good down the road.

At least they admit they told us the wrong info...two days in a row. I was never questioning the integrity of the members during yesterday's free-for-all, but I didn't expect to have my integrity questioned either. The messenger was shot several times!

Please don't take any of our comments were an attack on you.

I just had a long chat with a Mariner Society Supervisor. Obviously she was very apologetic about them giving out bad info, but as it's a "free" package, no dice. My remark to her was, "Don't tell me Explore 4 is free. I watched the fares go up when Explore was announced". She acquiesced and said she would propose to mgmt that the Beverage Package value be included in one's on board spending total for cruise-day credit like any other amenity. I'm not holding my breath, but who knows, all this chatter might do us some good down the road.

I just wish that they would have listened to reason yesterday. When I mentioned it didn't makes sense I got shot down and told this was discussed with the supervisor. To their credit they have admitted their mistake which is good. It would be good to have it included but I can't see that happening. There have been posters that have noted their fare did not go up with the explore 4. Thx for posting your information.

Edited by cruz chic

I'm sure you're correct, but I'd hazard a guess that those that didn't go up were cruises with shorter-time-to-sailing dates that HAL was trying to sell out. I was looking at 2017 cruises when they announced Explore 4 in early July and watched the fares go up the day of announcement.

Thanks you cruz chic as well for your interest and postings.

Edited by blizzardboy

I'm sure you're correct, but I'd hazard a guess that those that didn't go up were cruises with shorter-time-to-sailing dates that HAL was trying to sell out. I was looking at 2017 cruises when they announced Explore 4 in early July and watched the fares go up the day of announcement.

Thanks you cruz chic as well for your interest and postings.

I think I remember POA saying his cruise didn't go up for next year with the explore 4 so I hope I'm not telling lies;). It would make sense to have shorter and closer in cruises not going up.

I think I remember POA saying his cruise didn't go up for next year with the explore 4 so I hope I'm not telling lies;). It would make sense to have shorter and closer in cruises not going up.

You're correct. The first cruise of the 2016 Alaska season didn’t go up at all. The second cruise only went up by $100 in a Neptune Suite.

The central point of all this is that HAL ascribes a value to Explore 4 for accounting purposes, even if they don't raise the price of a given cruise. I know this because HAL PCCs have annual targets for cruise volume booked, which is a component of their bonus computation. They get credit for the net cruise fare, of which Explore 4 is a deduction. They see the cost of our "free" program in black and white. That's one justification I used to suggest they ought to count the value of the Beverage Package towards the on board spending cruise-day bonus. She agreed that it ought to be presented to mgmt and is going to do so.

Side remark: Before anyone gets concerned that PCCs are going to hide promos or something, the net effect to their bonus of said promos is pretty insignificant by the time it filters down to their bonus.

Edited by blizzardboy

The central point of all this is that HAL ascribes a value to Explore 4 for accounting purposes, even if they don't raise the price of a given cruise. I know this because HAL PCCs have annual targets for cruise volume booked, which is a component of their bonus computation. They get credit for the net cruise fare, of which Explore 4 is a deduction. They see the cost of our "free" program in black and white. That's one justification I used to suggest they ought to count the value of the Beverage Package towards the on board spending cruise-day bonus. She agreed that it ought to be presented to mgmt and is going to do so.

Side remark: Before anyone gets concerned that PCCs are going to hide promos or something, the net effect to their bonus of said promos is pretty insignificant by the time it filters down to their bonus.

HAL PCC's aren't paid the way you think they are.

Without judging anyone, I will give you my personal experience. We (a group of four) just returned from a cruise on the Noordam. We all had the SBP, all covered by my credit card. My opinion of the benefits of the SBP are mixed, but that's not what the original poster was questioning. We made extensive use of our cards, with the drinks not showing up on the final billing summary. The charges were limited to the gratuity charges and a limited number of small purchases in the stores. When checking my Mariner status last night, I noticed that my wife and I had received seven (7) Onboard Spending Cruise Day Credits. That is only possible if the value of all the Exploration Café coffees, soft drinks, wine and alcohol consumed - not purchased - is included. Perhaps the policy has changed, and what Seattle is saying is correct. Either that, or someone is going to spot an error and I will be back to being a one-star Mariner. :(

Without judging anyone, I will give you my personal experience. We (a group of four) just returned from a cruise on the Noordam. We all had the SBP, all covered by my credit card. My opinion of the benefits of the SBP are mixed, but that's not what the original poster was questioning. We made extensive use of our cards, with the drinks not showing up on the final billing summary. The charges were limited to the gratuity charges and a limited number of small purchases in the stores. When checking my Mariner status last night, I noticed that my wife and I had received seven (7) Onboard Spending Cruise Day Credits. That is only possible if the value of all the Exploration Café coffees, soft drinks, wine and alcohol consumed - not purchased - is included. Perhaps the policy has changed, and what Seattle is saying is correct. Either that, or someone is going to spot an error and I will be back to being a one-star Mariner. :(

Thanks for posting this.

You purchased the Signature Beverage package? Or you had Explore 4?

Just to make sure: this thread is about Explore 4 which is included in the price of the cruise. The SBP is what you pay for yourself separately.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I have Explore 4 which includes the Signature Beverage Package. I watched the fare of a 14-day Koningsdam cruise in January, 2017 go up $1320 the day they announced Explore 4. The next day they had the old fare on a travel agency site with Explore 4 as a $1320 option! It's still shown that way.

I could quote the PCCs compensation percentages, but I'd be violating a confidence.

Our fare for a sep. 2016 Alaska cruise on the NA only went up $94 pp. When I checked after Explore 4 was first introduced in JUly, and our TA didn't have the pricing loaded yet, we would have lost a OBC and paid more for our cabin. When I checked last week, the difference was only $94 pp. A good value for us.

They had to do something fast with some of us calling to get our extra cruise day credits. I wonder what response I will get when I get home tonight!

Well, I'm a little disappointed in the Mariner Society because they didn't get back to me as promised. I'll give it until next week and then call back. Will keep you all posted (even though we all know what the outcome will be!).