Explore 4 beverage card and mariner spending question

cruz chic

I've called and confirmed that they believe the E4 drinks count towards the cruise day credits. I then asked for my two cruises, and DM's, to be reviewed because I didn't think that our drinks counted towards our credits. Because I called at the end of the day, they couldn't do it today but they should get back to me tomorrow. I did advise that we never saw any debits or credits on our account for our drinks but Greg assured me that it happens behind the scenes.

I'm quite interested because I'm only three days away from 4 star status. While I doubt we drank $900 between the two of us on our two E4 cruises, maybe we did!:eek:

I will keep you posted (on the potential credits, not on how much we drank!).

Awwwwww, c'mon, tell me how much you drank :D;). It's going to be interesting to hear the outcome of this because I would imagine it will open up the floodgates. Thx for today's update. Looking forward to the outcome.

Awwwwww, c'mon, tell me how much you drank :D;). It's going to be interesting to hear the outcome of this because I would imagine it will open up the floodgates. Thx for today's update. Looking forward to the outcome.

I"m sorry to disappoint you but we're not big drinkers. I can go for weeks, even months, without alcohol. However, I do tend to drink alcohol more while on a cruise, particularly if I have the SBP for free!;) DM wasn't feeling well for a good chunk of that first cruise so that's why I doubt we would come close to 3 cruise day credits. And then I got sick on that last cruise so that limited my alcohol intake at the end. Thank heavens it was close to the end of the cruise!! I wish I had asked a bartender how much we had consumed on each cruise!

I"m sorry to disappoint you but we're not big drinkers. I can go for weeks, even months, without alcohol. However, I do tend to drink alcohol more while on a cruise, particularly if I have the SBP for free!;) DM wasn't feeling well for a good chunk of that first cruise so that's why I doubt we would come close to 3 cruise day credits. And then I got sick on that last cruise so that limited my alcohol intake at the end. Thank heavens it was close to the end of the cruise!! I wish I had asked a bartender how much we had consumed on each cruise!

You sound like me. I think the last drink I had was in may. I tend to drink Perrier at home. On a cruise I can usually put away 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of wine and a couple drinks a day.

I've called and confirmed that they believe the E4 drinks count towards the cruise day credits. I then asked for my two cruises, and DM's, to be reviewed because I didn't think that our drinks counted towards our credits. Because I called at the end of the day, they couldn't do it today but they should get back to me tomorrow. I did advise that we never saw any debits or credits on our account for our drinks but Greg assured me that it happens behind the scenes.

I'm quite interested because I'm only three days away from 4 star status. While I doubt we drank $900 between the two of us on our two E4 cruises, maybe we did!:eek:

I will keep you posted (on the potential credits, not on how much we drank!).

Best of luck getting some more credits. Looking forward to the response. We received 1 extra credit on our first cruise using only HAL nonrefundable credit ($300 for booking a suite) for grats and onboard purchases. We also had Explore Explore 4.

Edited by qsuzi

You sound like me. I think the last drink I had was in may. I tend to drink Perrier at home. On a cruise I can usually put away 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of wine and a couple drinks a day.

Ohh la la, Perrier!:D I drink plain old tap water at home and work. Some of my family members even think I'm a teetotaler and won't set a wineglass at my place when I'm there for dinner! My problem is that I'm actually a cheap date! I can get tipsy quite quickly and start feeling fuzzy after just a little wine. So I tend to stick to hard liquor as I don't feel that as fast!!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Best of luck getting some more credits. Looking forward to the response. We received 1 extra credit on our first cruise using only HAL nonrefundable credit ($300 for booking a suite) for grats and onboard purchases. We also had Explore Explore 4.

Oh, so you also didn't get credit for your SBP purchases. Well, if this works out for me, you will also have to call to get them to review your account. Hopefully, you drank more than we did on our cruises!!

Ohh la la, Perrier!:D I drink plain old tap water at home and work. Some of my family members even think I'm a teetotaler and won't set a wineglass at my place when I'm there for dinner! My problem is that I'm actually a cheap date! I can get tipsy quite quickly and start feeling fuzzy after just a little wine. So I tend to stick to hard liquor as I don't feel that as fast!!

Perrier is my fancy drink:D. When I worked I probably drank well over 3 litres of water a day. Now I'm lucky if I drink 2. I'm a cheap date too. I can usually feel it after one glass. That's why I don't usually start drinking until dinner.

When you order a drink using the Beverage card provided, the cost is added to your account, then they credit your account the cost of the beverage against the drink package. Therefore, the cost of the drinks do count as on board spending, per the Mariner Society supervisor.
If the the way it works, then it would give everyone on an Explore4 package an incentive to order all 15 drinks every day, even if they then just pour half of them down the drain. Extra immediate wasted costs for the cruise line in drinks; extra potential costs in faster promotion to higher Mariner tiers. It wouldn't make much sense.

If the the way it works, then it would give everyone on an Explore4 package an incentive to order all 15 drinks every day, even if they then just pour half of them down the drain. Extra immediate wasted costs for the cruise line in drinks; extra potential costs in faster promotion to higher Mariner tiers. It wouldn't make much sense.

Wasting all those drinks...talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! Remember what my Granddad used to say, "Don't cry over spilled milk. It could have been whisky".

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. To say I hope what the Mariner reps have told me and a couple of other members is the correct info goes without saying. It will benefit all of us.

We rescheduled one of our cruises that had the Explorer 4 programme and rebooked where we had to pay for our refreshments. The credits we gained helped us attain our level four mariner status. We hope some day soon to cruise again to experience the perks.

As mentioned yesterday (although for some reason my post has disappeared:confused:), this is the short response I received today from my PCC:

Onboard spending does count towards potential extra Mariner days, but it would be items that are charged to your credit card, it would not be items that are complimentary.

So not really much help in this discussion and as clear as mud.

Edited by Lizzie68

As mentioned yesterday (although for some reason my post has disappeared:confused:), this is the short response I received today from my PCC:

Onboard spending does count towards potential extra Mariner days, but it would be items that are charged to your credit card, it would not be items that are complimentary.

Actually, I think it does make sense, Lizzie. Onboard SPENDING counts, but ordering a drink with a freebie beverage card acquired under Explore4 doesn't constitute spending in the mind of the PCC. Which I think is pretty much what most of us have said.

As for the second part of the sentence, that also make sense and takes into account whatever type of interim book keeping is done on the ship, charging and crediting your account. It's only those charges that appear on your final onboard account and that you (normally) pay off with your credit card that you get Mariner credits for.

In the mean time, I still await my written response from the MS. They may be a little bit busier after yesterday. :)

<snip> They may be a little bit busier after yesterday. :)

That's for sure. If they intend to give credit for the explore 4 I think I may ask for credit for all the wine I got at a discounted price (difference between the regular rate and discounted) due to my mariner status. That should get me closer to a five star. Problem is that I have no proof of it because I shred my onboard bills no too long after I get back. If they are ignoring credits they should ignore the discount.

Actually, I think it does make sense, Lizzie. Onboard SPENDING counts, but ordering a drink with a freebie beverage card acquired under Explore4 doesn't constitute spending in the mind of the PCC. Which I think is pretty much what most of us have said.

As for the second part of the sentence, that also make sense and takes into account whatever type of interim book keeping is done on the ship, charging and crediting your account. It's only those charges that appear on your final onboard account and that you (normally) pay off with your credit card that you get Mariner credits for.

In the mean time, I still await my written response from the MS. They may be a little bit busier after yesterday. :)

The "clear as mud" reference was meaning another answer in contradiction with what some posters are reporting on this topic. I personally think the response I got is correct - otherwise there would be a bookkeeping nightmare and HAL can't handle regular bookkeeping much of the time.:D But I guess time will tell.

Edited by Lizzie68

The "clear as mud" reference was meaning another answer in contradiction with what some posters are reporting on this topic. I personally think the response I got is correct - otherwise there would be a bookkeeping nightmare and HAL can't handle regular bookkeeping much of the time.:D But I guess time will tell.

Gotcha. :)

OK, folks, here is a written reply from the Mariner Society:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your Explorer 4 Beverage promotion on your upcoming voyage on the ms Maasdam on September 15, 2015.

While onboard you will use your key card to make purchases against your stateroom and sign for each charge. Qualifying Explorer 4 Beverage purchases will be charged to your onboard bill and then a credit will be given for the exact charge to offset leaving a zero balance for the purchase. Therefore, no credit will be earned towards your onboard spending bonus for qualifying purchases against the Explorer 4 Beverage promotion.

We apologize for any frustration this may cause.

We look forward to welcoming you back onboard with us on the Maasdam. We thank you for your continued patronage! Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Lori

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

So, as most of us have said over the past couple of days or so, no credits for drinks ordered on your Explore4 beverage card, confirmed in writing by the Mariner Society.

This is the best reply from HAL yet. Clear as crystal.

Explore 4 drinks are not "onboard spending" (not charged to your credit card at the end of the cruise).

So, Explore 4 drinks don't count towards the $300= 1 cruise day credit program.

Edited by SilvertoGold

So, as most of us have said over the past couple of days or so, no credits for drinks ordered on your Explore4 beverage card, confirmed in writing by the Mariner Society.

Finally!! Yah👍

Thanks Fouremco.

Denise:)

Appreciate this.

No surprise there. It would be funny to call today and see if that's the response that is given. Now it should be interesting to see the response Alberta quilter gets. Thx for posting fouremco.

This is an even better reply. Looks as if HAL got onto this problem fast. Good to see!

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks Fouremco for supplying this response.

They had to do something fast with some of us calling to get our extra cruise day credits. I wonder what response I will get when I get home tonight!