Explore 4 beverage card and mariner spending question

cruz chic

Absolutely, but I think Jade13 may not be referring to the higher ups in Seattle, just the front line employees who interact with the pax.

These front line employees do not seem to have correct or current info at times.

Sounds like poor training on HAL's part or unengaged employees.

Exactly. Thank you.

Concerning the problems with incorrect info from the various reps at HAL: I have felt for many years (this is not something new) that there are so few HAL Seattle departments that a customer can actually contact that any rep you phone or email should be able to pass you onto the appropriate one.

I have had this done with the Chat Line and have been told to call the Mariner Society, for example.

But, this problem discussed on this thread with the Explore 4 should not be handled by the Guest Relations Dept., the Mariner Society, Ship Services Dept or a PCC.

I would think that the Marketing Dept. comes up with these promos and sets the rules and regulations for use. All questions should be directed to that department as they are the primary source and really should be able to give the right info.

Having asked in the past for the number/email of various departments that I thought could help me with questions, I have been told that it isn't possible.

Obviously, HAL limits the departments available for access by customers. So, it would seem incumbent on the rep (in whatever department you call) to find out from the correct department the info required or to pass you onto it.

This seems to be what the Mariner Society belated did.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Obviously, HAL limits the departments available for access by customers. So, it would seem incumbent on the rep (in whatever department you call) to find out from the correct department the info required or to pass you onto it.

This seems to be what the Mariner Society belated did.

Or you could go right to the top:

Primary Contact

Paul Goodwin

Executive vice president, onboard revenue, planning, port operations and tours

300 Elliott Ave. West

Seattle, WA 98119-4198

(206) 281-3535

pgoodwin@hollandamerica.com

Secondary Contact

Richard D. Meadows

Executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs

300 Elliott Ave. West

Seattle, WA 98119-4198

(206) 270-6257

rmeadows@hollandamerica.com

The poster said they read for entertainment value, there was no mention of

"bullying, inappropriate comments, etc.". Of course, some may consider that entertaining also...

It's quite possible to be both entertaining and informative at the same time. After all, the subtitle is "A Community of People Who Love To Cruise".

Would you remove all of the entertaining posts from the boards?

I definitely agree with these posts - thanks, Dave, for being your usual voice of calm reason.

Dave

I thought Richard Meadows went to Seabourn as President.

He did, in 2011. It's a confusing situation. Here's a relevant paragraph from the press release announcing him as President, Cunard-North America:

"Meadows has held key positions at a number of Carnival Corporation & plc brands over his 29-year career with the group and has held the position of President of Seabourn since 2011. During that time, he also has served as Executive Vice President of Marketing, Sales and Guest Programmes for Holland America Line, where he had global revenue responsibility. With his appointment as President of Cunard – North America, Meadows will gradually step away from Holland America Line to give his complete focus to his new role."

Which seems to indicate that he is still somewhat responsible for HAL marketing.

I would think that the Marketing Dept. comes up with these promos and sets the rules and regulations for use. All questions should be directed to that department as they are the primary source and really should be able to give the right info.

While I agree that the marketing department probably establishes the rules and knows best what was intended, the actual application of the rules is no doubt left to others. In the case of additional credits for onboard purchases, I'd think that it would be the Mariners Society, which is why I wrote to them and received a full and completely satisfactory response.

Agree with you. Also think #3 is possible which is why I asked if the person calling made it clear they were asking about a "Free" drinks package that was part of their cruise fare. Of course if they paid independently for the drinks package of course they would get additional mariner credit.

From one of those who called the Mariner Society (MS): I asked a MS rep the first day and a different MS rep who went to his supervisor the second day, the exact same question; "do drinks actually charged to the Signature Beverage Package provided as part of the Explore 4 promotion count as on board spending towards the MS $300 spent = one extra cruise day rule?" and received the identical answer, affirmative, with the identical "drinks are charged to your account then credited to the package, therefore are on board spending" explanation. I doubt even Jade 13 could have been more specific. cruz chic also called in, got the same answer, and even argued with them because she thought they were wrong, and they stuck to the same answer.

So let's put option 3 to rest. I'm sick and tired of the remarks and innuendo regarding CC members' inability to ask a specific question and accurately relay the answer to the forum.

BTW, the supervisor I talked to the third day, after apologizing profusely for the consistently bad info provided the previous two days, confirmed that she can see every drink charged to a cruiser's account, and the subsequent credit to the package, zeroing the balance. They may not appear on your statement, but the transactions are on HALs accounting system.

Edited by blizzardboy

From one of those who called the Mariner Society (MS): I asked a MS rep the first day and a different MS rep who went to his supervisor the second day, the exact same question; "do drinks actually charged to the Signature Beverage Package provided as part of the Explore 4 promotion count as on board spending towards the MS $300 spent = one extra cruise day rule?" and received the identical answer, affirmative, with the identical "drinks are charged to your account then credited to the package, therefore are on board spending" explanation. I doubt even Jade 13 could have been more specific. cruz chic also called in, got the same answer, and even argued with them because she thought they were wrong, and they stuck to the same answer.

So let's put option 3 to rest. I'm sick and tired of the remarks and innuendo regarding CC members' inability to ask a specific question and accurately relay the answer to the forum.

BTW, the supervisor I talked to the third day, after apologizing profusely for the consistently bad info provided the previous two days, confirmed that she can see every drink charged to a cruiser's account, and the subsequent credit to the package, zeroing the balance. They may not appear on your statement, but the transactions are on HALs accounting system.

Thank you!

I agree!

Happy Sailings to all our CC cruisers!

Denise:)

Just a little clarification. I didn't argue with them. Some will jump all over that as it could be said that its "entertainment". I simply said that it didn't make sense to me and at that I was quickly shut down by them.

Just a little clarification. I didn't argue with them. Some will jump all over that as it could be said that its "entertainment". I simply said that it didn't make sense to me and at that I was quickly shut down by them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it more than it was. Maybe I should've said you took issue with the answer. Point was, neither of us need to have our communication abilities challenged.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it more than it was. Maybe I should've said you took issue with the answer. Point was, neither of us need to have our communication abilities challenged.

I know you didn't. Yes, I took issue with the answer from Hal. That's a perfect explanation. I don't think it was meant to be nasty based on the posters. My sister says stuff like that to me all the time :rolleyes:.

Edited by cruz chic