Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Sorry, but I do plan ahead whenever I walk out the door or go anywhere and have cell, ID, one credit card and medical cards in cell phone case. Having a heart condition that likes to rear it's ugly head at the worst opportune times has taught me to always be prepared. There may be times when you don't have the opportunity to go back to the room, go to your desk at work or etc. Hence I am always prepared. People want to take chances.. they can.

I agree. My DH has a heart condition too. Even when sitting at the pool he has his prescriptions with him. He also takes them ashore everywhere. I too always have the cell phone, ID, credit cards, travel insurance confirmation etc. with me in a small crossbody bag that I wear everywhere.

I am home. Sunday was a long day with packing, visiting the two forts and then flying home. Today will be a day of rest. I was hoping that whoever is in 1207 for this weeks cruise was following my posts since I left them a present in the cabin. I hope they got it.

Edited by pauleydm

I am home. Sunday was a long day with packing, visiting the two forts and then flying home. Today will be a day of rest. I was hoping that whoever is in 1207 for this weeks cruise was following my posts since I left them a present in the cabin. I hope they got it.

Paul

Hope your day of rest went well.... Why am I not surprised that you left some thing in your cabin for the next guest:D

Reader

Im contemplating calling shore to ship to speak to whomever is there to see if they got the present. May just be worth the outrageous cost to call.

I agree. My DH has a heart condition too. Even when sitting at the pool he has his prescriptions with him. He also takes them ashore everywhere. I too always have the cell phone, ID, credit cards, travel insurance confirmation etc. with me in a small crossbody bag that I wear everywhere.

One of the joys of cruising, for me, is NOT having to carry a purse or any kind of a bag while on the ship :D All the shorts, slacks, and skirts I wear have pockets for my sign and sail card.

If there were an emergency ... I can access copies of our passports, medications, travel insurance confirmations, and scanned ID on the internet.

And no, I realize that's not as good as having them in hand IF (if being the operative word) there were an evacuation but I won't give up the freedom of not carrying a bag "just in case".

And yes, I do take all of that necessary "stuff" in my day bag when we go ashore.:D

Glad to hear you got home in good shape and made the most of your interrupted cruise.

Hope we have some good Cruise Critic folks like you on our cruise next year.

See us on FB April 23 to May 19, 2016

Happy to hear you got home. Lovely to meet you in person on board. We flew today. Laundry will wait till tomorrow, a little grocery shopping wore me out.

How thoughtful of you! I suppose you could PM John Heald and ask him to have that checked out for you. Would be nice to know what happened!

I was not putting you down because you plan ahead, and considering your condition it is a good idea. It read as if you were scolding people for not picking up money, credit cards, etc, but only their cell phones. I was simply trying to inform you, in case you had not had the time to read the entire thread, that people did not have the chance to go back to their cabins. The passengers in this situation already had an unpleasant time, to say the least, and did not deserve to be told they should of done something differently.

I rarely post on Cruise Critic, with the exception of Roll Calls, because it irritates me to see people say 'you should have done it my way'. For me and many cruisers I have spoken to they do not carry much around with them on the ship, and this freedom is part of the appeal of cruising. If it had been me I would not even had a phone, as my flip phone costs too much to keep on while out at sea, and it does not work in most ports (except continental U.S.)

Saying "I plan ahead", and "People want to take chances...they can" just sounds like you feel you are superior to most people in this unfortunate situation. I hope nothing bad ever happens to you in which people scold you, rather than have empathy.

I need a LIKE button as well!!!

I was not putting you down because you plan ahead, and considering your condition it is a good idea. It read as if you were scolding people for not picking up money, credit cards, etc, but only their cell phones. I was simply trying to inform you, in case you had not had the time to read the entire thread, that people did not have the chance to go back to their cabins. The passengers in this situation already had an unpleasant time, to say the least, and did not deserve to be told they should of done something differently.

I rarely post on Cruise Critic, with the exception of Roll Calls, because it irritates me to see people say 'you should have done it my way'. For me and many cruisers I have spoken to they do not carry much around with them on the ship, and this freedom is part of the appeal of cruising. If it had been me I would not even had a phone, as my flip phone costs too much to keep on while out at sea, and it does not work in most ports (except continental U.S.)

Saying "I plan ahead", and "People want to take chances...they can" just sounds like you feel you are superior to most people in this unfortunate situation. I hope nothing bad ever happens to you in which people scold you, rather than have empathy.

I was just stating that maybe this situation is a reminder to all of us to take some extra steps in case of an emergency.

After all it was the OP that stated they were off the ship with no ID and no money.

Yep, and you know me all so well. I have had the same life experiences as everyone else and should be ever greatful that people point that out that I have no empathy.

Wait.. I am the one who has had to live with a heart condition since I was 19. I am soooo high and mighty. Thanks for reminding me of that!

And thanks for reminding me why I don't post often. Because instead of opinion posts the boards are full of attacks!

Edited by lylone

Pauly when you get settled I, and others I am sure, are still curious to hear what it was like on Friday/Saturday with half the guests gone. Maybe I missed it somewhere? Lots of posts:eek:

It was interesting. If you have ever stayed on a ship while it was in port, it felt like that. The MDR was very quiet, lots of open tables. They were only opening half of the buffet on Lido. The cool thing was the deck party on Friday night...we had almost half of the passengers there. It was a huge party...but if you walked elsewhere, it appeared as if the ship was practically empty.

I was just stating that maybe this situation is a reminder to all of us to take some extra steps in case of an emergency.

After all it was the OP that stated they were off the ship with no ID and no money.

Yep, and you know me all so well. I have had the same life experiences as everyone else and should be ever greatful that people point that out that I have no empathy.

Wait.. I am the one who has had to live with a heart condition since I was 19. I am soooo high and mighty. Thanks for reminding me of that!

And thanks for reminding me why I don't post often. Because instead of opinion posts the boards are full of attacks!

Yes, it was a wake-up call for me. I always carry my little nylon sportsbag/backpack with me with my kindle, mags, lipstick, etc. Now I will toss in my dl and a credit card...certainly won't add any weight.

I always wear my S & S card on a lanyard (in port I have it in a little clear plastic case with my dl behind it for id) It may look tacky to some, but after an experience in Malaga, where I left my wallet on tour bus with my passport and credit card in it). If I hadn't had my S&S card around my neck, I couldnt even get into terminal. I was traveling alone so pretty scary. Don't want to divert from thread...but stuff happens!

Does anyone know the screen name for Paul Owen. I know his comments to John Heald were deleted off this page, but now someone is claiming that I am Paul Owen.

Who are they telling?

I am not sure that anybody will answer that question this board. Maybe to JH or your email?

Does anyone know the screen name for Paul Owen. someone is claiming that I am Paul Owen.

I can't answer your question because I have never heard of him before.

(I have a friend, (when someone says something that is bad), she always says: he/she "ain't nobody". Sounds that might fit in this situation.

I have read this entire thread and I want to tell you this has been the most interesting, well written, informative thread I have ever read. After each of your posts, I could not wait for the next one. Thank you so very, very much for sharing your talents and information with everyone.

It sure kept my interest. I don't post very much, but I read Cruise Critic every day/night, sometimes well into the wee hours of the morning. lol I am not a newby, I have sailed Carnival twenty times, also RCCL three times, NCL one time and Princess one time. Guess you can tell which is my favorite.

Thanks again and don't worry about this other persons comments. ;)

What a great account and story and ending.

Yet how sad you were attacked by a group led by an idiot that works for Carnival that dies nothing but put this site down. Once again a good PR campaign that went horribly wrong.

BTW, even though I got my refund and credits, I too would have been PO'd being put off the ship and finding others were continuing their journey. I don't think id raise a stink about it though.

Does anyone know the screen name for Paul Owen. I know his comments to John Heald were deleted off this page, but now someone is claiming that I am Paul Owen.

I can confirm that someone is claiming that you are Paul Owen and Paul Moran. I also posted on JH's (social networking) page in reply to his post on September 11 (all good) in which he posted the "Paul Owens" letter and someone replied yesterday, 9/15, at 10:38am to my post claiming that you were Paul Owen also aka Paul Moran. I don't know if this is a CC member or not and do not know the screen name for CC, but an actual name was listed on that "social network" site. I did not respond to his reply to my post nor do I believe him.

Copied and pasted from above mentioned "social network" site:

My reply to John (actual name withheld): "John, I don't know what Pauleydm's real name is but I have been on CC following that thread because we'll be sailing on Liberty on 9/20 and I know that those on the 9/13, and other upcoming sailings were following as well. There were some posters that got out of line on CC, but most of us just ignored their posts and strictly looked for posts from Pauleydm. I was very impressed with his posts. He was very accurate and if someone asked him a question that he didn't know, he'd say he didn't know or didn't have that information. Many of us, including on CC, have agreed...Pauleydm only gave facts, he did not speculate, interject emotion, embellish, or sensationalize any of his posts. He posted basic facts and yes, he did mention the compensation that the current passengers were given. I know some are expecting you to hand out free cruises but maybe, once you find out his real name, a nice thank you letter from Carnival would be nice. He doesn't come across as someone seeking "fame" and maybe he may want to remain anonymous. I know that many of us on upcoming Liberty sailings are very appreciative that he took time out of his vacation to keep the rest of us posted and we'd also like to thank him."

Reply I got to my post (name withheld, but can provide for you if you wish): "Holly...I did a reverse search and found out that Pauleydm's is also Paul Owens and aka Paul Moran"

My first name is Holly, but I've posted that before. Again, I did not believe it and I did not reply. Just someone trying to stir the pot and I want no part of it. I said it before and I'll say it again, you did a great job of giving us the facts as you knew them without speculation and embellishment. I'm to cruise on Liberty this Sunday, 9/20, and was glued to this thread during that time and am still following. As of now, Liberty is now back to running her normal schedule, webcam shows her in Barbados, and I'm looking forward to our cruise. I am very sorry that you and your fellow passengers did not get the cruise that you'd planned for, but having done this itinerary 2 years ago, if you get the chance to do it again, I definitely recommend it.

Edited by pghsteelerfan