Alcohol policy

flyboyswife

Hi All - pardon this remedial question. I'm sure with time I could research on the Princess website but, in the interest of time....

My mom and her soon-to-be husband are cruising on Princess for their honeymoon. Telling me they can bring on 2 bottles of champagne. BUT they don't know if it has to be in their carry-on or checked luggage.

I'm a frequent cruiser but not on Princess. All guidance re alcohol - even smuggling tips, dare I ask! (Please no haters!) Thank you!

Hi All - pardon this remedial question. I'm sure with time I could research on the Princess website but, in the interest of time....

My mom and her soon-to-be husband are cruising on Princess for their honeymoon. Telling me they can bring on 2 bottles of champagne. BUT they don't know if it has to be in their carry-on or checked luggage.

I'm a frequent cruiser but not on Princess. All guidance re alcohol - even smuggling tips, dare I ask! (Please no haters!) Thank you!

Yes 1 bottle per in carry on.

Any extra will incur a $15 corkage fee per extra bottle.

No alcohol allowed.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yes, they are allowed 1 bottle of wine or champagne each. It should be in their carry on. They can bring on additional bottles subject to a $15 corkage fee at the gangway

To be more precise it is one 750ml bottle per adult for consumption in your cabin. If you bring the bottle to a lounge, bar or DR you will be charged the $15 corkage fee.

Edited by sknight

If we bring on additional bottles of wine and opt to pay the corkage fee, what is the process. Who collects the money. Does it slow down the check in process. Is the amount added to your shipboard account, is cash required. Just curious for a future Alaska cruise.

I couldn't find this info on the PCL website if it was there you can teach me how to fish, no problem.

If we bring on additional bottles of wine and opt to pay the corkage fee, what is the process. Who collects the money. Does it slow down the check in process. Is the amount added to your shipboard account, is cash required. Just curious for a future Alaska cruise.

I couldn't find this info on the PCL website if it was there you can teach me how to fish, no problem.

As you go through check in your carry on bags are scanned. Any wine/ champagne bottles in excess of those allowed will be noted and you will be sent to a table. You will then pay for the excess bottles as a charge to your onboard account. If you drink them all in your room no problem.

If you want to bring one to the MDR make sure you pick those to have the stamp tat shows you already paid.

Easy process and does not slow up the check in process.

Thanks, that was easy!

As you go through check in your carry on bags are scanned. Any wine/ champagne bottles in excess of those allowed will be noted and you will be sent to a table. You will then pay for the excess bottles as a charge to your onboard account. If you drink them all in your room no problem.

If you want to bring one to the MDR make sure you pick those to have the stamp tat shows you already paid.

Easy process and does not slow up the check in process.

google rum rummer flasks. You might find them interesting.

Incidentally, you don't have to actually "drink" the wine in your stateroom. I've had no problem with pouring a glass and taking it anywhere around the ship, including into the dining room.

Really, Princess is pretty laid back about alcohol, probably because most Princess cruisers aren't the type that get drunk on smuggled alcohol and start fights.

FYI because you cannot travel with a cork screw, you are not limited to bottle cap wine. Just ask your room steward to bring you wine glasses and an opener. And make sure he continues to bring you clean wine glasses daily.

FYI because you cannot travel with a cork screw, you are not limited to bottle cap wine. Just ask your room steward to bring you wine glasses and an opener. And make sure he continues to bring you clean wine glasses daily.

"Supposedly" a plain corkscrew style that looks like a ball point pen and you pull off the one end, exposing the screw and then stick that cover through and eye hole in the screw side to make a T-joint is legal for TSA. I did have one and it worked a couple of times and then you hit the agent that says NO - and their word is final. So I can't be bothered risking it anymore.

Since we don't check bags, I too just ask for one on board and NP. Anyone who checks bags is free to bring one from home. Not an issue for Princess - just for flying due to TSA regs. They also sell the "proper" corkscrews at Vines.

(To be honest, I don't have a problem with TSA rejecting all the kinds because that would make a nasty weapon. The screw part is worse than the tiny 1" knife on the regular full-feature corkscrew that folds up like a Swiss knife and they don't want those for sure. Go figure.)

Incidentally, you don't have to actually "drink" the wine in your stateroom. I've had no problem with pouring a glass and taking it anywhere around the ship, including into the dining room.

That's true if you paid corkage on your bottle of wine but not for the 1 corkage fee free bottle of wine that is intended to be consumed in the stateroom.

"As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed".

But as you said many passengers probably do it but it's not accurate to say that Princess policy allows drinking wine outside of the stateroom from the fee free bottle because it doesn't.

Edited by Astro Flyer

"Supposedly" a plain corkscrew style that looks like a ball point pen and you pull off the one end, exposing the screw and then stick that cover through and eye hole in the screw side to make a T-joint is legal for TSA. I did have one and it worked a couple of times and then you hit the agent that says NO - and their word is final. So I can't be bothered risking it anymore.

Since we don't check bags, I too just ask for one on board and NP. Anyone who checks bags is free to bring one from home. Not an issue for Princess - just for flying due to TSA regs. They also sell the "proper" corkscrews at Vines.

(To be honest, I don't have a problem with TSA rejecting all the kinds because that would make a nasty weapon. The screw part is worse than the tiny 1" knife on the regular full-feature corkscrew that folds up like a Swiss knife and they don't want those for sure. Go figure.)

Cheching the TSA website, corkscrews without any blade (including a small foil cutter) are allowed in carryon & checked bags; if having any type of blade then it needs to be placed in checked bags.

"Corkscrew (with no blade): You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage"

But I agree that since each TSA agent makes the final decision despite what the rules states, we always put our corkscrew in a checked bag. ;)