& any advice plz

oncruizcontroll

Ok here I am looking for any & all advice I can get. My husband & I have never taken a honeymoon. We've been married 5 years this year & my parents gave us money as an anniversary gift to take the honeymoon we never had. I've already booked our flights as we plan on sailing Nov. 22-29 of this year on the Allure. We've never been on a cruise before and I know the Allure is a grand ship, but how I see it is go big or go home. We will never have the opportunity to do such adventure again.

Some questions I have:

I want to go big or go home so ocean balcony or ocean view window? Or something else?? Right now I really want the balcony but not sure how much we will use it, plus it's about $500 over budget. Which leads me to question #2- I know this is the week of thanksgiving....should I book right now or should I hold off to get a better price? Right now it's almost about $3,000 for a balcony ocean.

I know about the drink packages, plan on getting my husband one. I'm not much of a drinker myself so if I wanted a drink here or there what should I expect for pricing on alcohol or should I just buy a drink package?

Internet package pricing. Haven't seen where to find out the cost or the info.

Also room service how early/late can you order till and is that included in the dining or separate? Also how much do you tip? (We already plan on having all the tips added into the cruise when I book our room)

And I'll take any other information anyone wants to throw in.

I would strongly suggest booking now so that u get the room u want. Keep checking the prices, if they go down u can call and they will credit u the money ( I think all lines do this, ask when u call!). If u don't drink much, don't bother with the package. Drinks are any where from $ 6 for beer to up to $12 or 13 for mixed drinks. As far as a balcony goes, if it puts u over budget and ur not too sure about it I wouldn't do it. I personally love having a balcony but wouldn't break the bank for it! Remember to bring any over the counter medication, including Advil/Tylenol that u might need. They do sell some in the gift shop, but u can't count on it! Have a wonderful time!

You will not any money refunded or credited back after final payment which will be coming up very soon if it has not already passed. So don't expect any kind of credit from a price dropping. That being said, don't expect prices to go down as this is a holiday sailing.

Take a look at the Central Park and Boardwalk balconies too. They are usually cheaper. We generally stay in an ocean facing-balcony but last time on Oasis we tried a Boardwalk balcony and were surprised that we like it. If you get one towards the back (aft) you will be able to see the boardwalk and the ocean.

Easy question, don't give it a second of thought.

Get the cheapest cabin you can find. Yes balconies are great and if you go on a cruise in the future get one for your 3rd or 4th cruise. Your first two cruises your are going to try to do everything. You will only use your cabin to sleep and actually will get very little of it as you will not be in your room until late and then end up getting up early, plenty of time to sleep when you are home.

People are going to tell your to relax, don't try and do everything, I'll tell you the same. You will ignore us all, and that's good. Come home from your first cruise exhausted from having fun. It is a much better exhaustion than you get from working.

Would also suggest posting on the RC board for more information.

Oasis class ships, such as the Allure, have a lot of different types of balconies. Check your prices ..... You may find a Boardwalk balcony, some of which have an angled view of the ocean, might be cheaper than a true ocean-side balcony. Also Central Park is still a balcony but has a park view instead of the ocean. Look at a map of the Allure and available cabins.

I would book now. It's a holiday sailing and you may find certain categories are already full.

Alcoholic drinks without the package average between 6:00 to 14.00.

Look at the packages. If you are a soda/pop drinker you may want to consider just a soda package.

Room service is free except between midnight and around 5:00 a.m. When the food is still free, but there is a delivery charge. I think it is around $5 charge. If you order from room service you should tip the delivery person $1-$5 depending on the size of the order. Those tips are not included with your prepaid tips.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

There are so many opinions on this but the key is this IS the honeymoon you never had.

1) Consider privacy a boardwalk facing room allows those across the boardwalk see into your room so you'll have to either be discreet or keep the drapes closed most of the time.

2) Consider time spent actually IN the room. If you want to have a view, great, but will you use the balcony much? If not get an oceanview. Most oceanview cabins have more square footage than a balcony cabin.

3) What kind of memories are you looking for? Ports of call & Excursions? Socializing,Dining and entertaining experiences? Get in a roll call specific to your cruise and meet new people. I've had cruise friends since I started cruising that are from all over the USA.

4) As far as drink packages consider the break even points vs by the drink ( remember you'll be on shore some days when you won't use the package till later in the day and you pay for EVERY day you're on the cruise.

Hope this helps.

There are so many opinions on this but the key is this IS the honeymoon you never had.

1) Consider privacy a boardwalk facing room allows those across the boardwalk see into your room so you'll have to either be discreet or keep the drapes closed most of the time.

2) Consider time spent actually IN the room. If you want to have a view, great, but will you use the balcony much? If not get an oceanview. Most oceanview cabins have more square footage than a balcony cabin.

3) What kind of memories are you looking for? Ports of call & Excursions? Socializing,Dining and entertaining experiences? Get in a roll call specific to your cruise and meet new people. I've had cruise friends since I started cruising that are from all over the USA.

4) As far as drink packages consider the break even points vs by the drink ( remember you'll be on shore some days when you won't use the package till later in the day and you pay for EVERY day you're on the cruise.

Hope this helps.

Yes the #1 reason I didn't want the boardwalk balcony rooms was because I seen people mentioning the privacy issues and posted pictures of peoples bathing suits etc... drying off from 1 balcony to another. I'd die if I actually seen something because someone forgot to close the drapes :D

I personally love the water, my husband not so much. I probably would love to just sit on the balcony at night, but then again I think we might be too busy to actually enjoy sitting out on the balcony. But even just cracking the door open to listen to the water is so peaceful. Not too sure if we can hear it from an ocean view.

Well I'm already looking into the excursions....I have a few pinned to my pinterest board that look interesting. Not sure how many we can down per day on shore, but I'm thinking at least once. I can cross off anything that has to do with swimming (hubby can't swim hence he doesn't like the water) So far I'm liking The Dig, Atlantis, Nassau and the Aquaventure (but have to look into it more) Not sure what else is really avail. I need to up my homework.

And as for memories....I'm pretty relaxed, easy going and I am the type to plan, but I also like to go with the flow at the same time. I'm mostly looking forward to being kid free for a week and probably getting to sleep in a few days...anything past 9am I'll be happy =) As for dining I sort of want to try new things. I'm not sure if we always have to eat in the main dinning room, but willing to explore.

I just quickly looked at celebrity....reflection has balcony for about $1100 pp including......yes....including drinks package,tips,obc and Internet....ship is gorgeous and a steal at that price..... .there is so much to see and do on your first cruise on even the most modest of ships that you will never get around to most of it....whatever you decide have a wonderful time....I was married for 24 yrs before our honeymoon!

Some questions I have:

I want to go big or go home so ocean balcony or ocean view window? Or something else?? Right now I really want the balcony but not sure how much we will use it, plus it's about $500 over budget. Which leads me to question #2- I know this is the week of thanksgiving....should I book right now or should I hold off to get a better price? Right now it's almost about $3,000 for a balcony ocean.

We looooove the balcony...it's a big part of the cruise for us. BUT I would cruise without one to stay on budget -- it is not a deal breaker. Ships are huge...there are so many places to go and find a lovely, secluded spot on the deck to sit and enjoy the water and get away from it all. Plan a specialty restaurant for a romantic dinner or snag a window with a view from one of the many bars and enjoy the sunset. You can have as much (or as little) as you want!

I know about the drink packages, plan on getting my husband one. I'm not much of a drinker myself so if I wanted a drink here or there what should I expect for pricing on alcohol or should I just buy a drink package? You can purchase a drink package once on board as well...

Internet package pricing. Haven't seen where to find out the cost or the info.

If you don't need to have constant contact with people, consider leaving the internet behind for a week. Just use the free wifi in ports.

Also room service how early/late can you order till and is that included in the dining or separate? Also how much do you tip? (We already plan on having all the tips added into the cruise when I book our room)

There is an additional charge after a certain time, and we always tip a few dollars when we order. RS is the highlight of my older son's cruising...nothing beats a burger at midnight on the balcony!

And I'll take any other information anyone wants to throw in.

Don't worry about having the "perfect" cruise...a person can go crazy planning because (as you said) there are so many options. Choose what makes you happy, and let the rest go....and have a FABULOUS honeymoon!!!

I can tell you that the Allure is the most amazing ship we have ever been on.

You should love it and have the time of a lifetime.

If you do not get an ocean balcony, check out deck 5 aft. Wonderful spot to sit on a lounger and watch the wake of the ship.

I just quickly looked at celebrity....reflection has balcony for about $1100 pp including......yes....including drinks package,tips,obc and Internet....ship is gorgeous and a steal at that price..... .there is so much to see and do on your first cruise on even the most modest of ships that you will never get around to most of it....whatever you decide have a wonderful time....I was married for 24 yrs before our honeymoon!

She has already booked her flights so going on the Reflection probably wouldn't work as the Allure is leaving on a Sunday. However the Silhouette does leave on the 22nd out of Ft. Lauderdale so that would be an option.

I personally would probably choose Celebrity for a honeymoon cruise if it's over a holiday as there are going to be less children on Celebrity vs RCCL. If the prices are better and the perks you can get may be a more budget friendly and more romantic experience for them.

We had a forward facing ocean view. These cabins have floor to ceiling windows, and many have a view of the ocean as you look past the heliport. They had more floor space because of the angle, but this space is not really usable, just make the cabin feel bigger. Downside was the walk to elevators. One of these cabins may be a good compromise if the price is right. There is so much to do on this ship, you may regret spending money you don't have for a balcony you rarely use.

I would not buy a drink package if I was a casual drinker. I've read on this site that it takes about 7 drinks a day to break even. That includes port days where you will be off the ship for a good portion of the day.

One more thing, if you've purchased your air tickets I would book the cruise in at least the lowest price cabin you can be happy in. Usually you can upgrade to a different cabin if the price goes down if you are from u.s.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

You will USE a balcony... very convenient, and romantic!

Hi there

The first time we booked a balcony cabin we used it maybe 30 min. on a 7 day cruise.

So since everyone is different, you might use your balcony. It depends on what your normal likes are. Are you going to sit around lounging, maybe having drinks or meals out there, or are you going to be too busy exploring the ship. The difference in cost can often be what determines whether we can enjoy one expensive cruise or two less expensive cruise.

Don't try and do everything. Cruising is affordable if you manage your expenses. You will be able to do it again if you find it is something you enjoy. Of course if money is no object, go ahead, splurge and treat yourself to everything that the ship has to offer.

Book now since you don't want to be disappointed if prices start rising or you can't get a cabin you would like.

have a great cruise

Great advice about upgrading. My mom also said sometimes they upgrade you for free too. We shall see ;)

Not likely on a week of Thanksgiving cruise where the rooms are selling at a premium. Having been on both Allure and Oasis, you are right about the inward facing balconies - almost not worth having a balcony at all if that's what you are getting because you can see everyone and everyone can see you and you can't see the ocean unless you are far aft over Boardwalk. The other issue with these ships is that they are so large, if you don't have a water facing balcony, then, the connection to the sea is lost as the inward facing cabins can almost seem like they are in a shopping mall or any chain hotel anywhere. My husband and I are usually on our balcony for the first sail away with some wine or champagne. Many times I've gone out to read on my balcony only to find myself looking at the sea and passing ships, sometimes flying fish or seagulls following the ship. It's really wonderful and I enjoy going out there at night and seeing other ships all lit up in the distance. The other fun things to do with a balcony are to go out and look at ships docked next to you and later, people coming back onto the ship, the preparation to depart and then sail away. Often people on the ship docked next to you will turn sail away into a party and there is much friendly yelling back and forth between the ships. I recall our last cruise on Allure where the folks on the ship opposite us wanted to see our Owner's Suite. So I opened the curtains for them so they could see it. Sometimes you will see some unlucky person put into an ambulance and driven away. On rare occasions you might see some people late getting back to the ship being left behind. I've also been on a ship when there was a helicopter Medical evacuation - which was really interesting to observe from our balcony and a man overboard (tragic suicide of a crew member) where our ship went into a sea search with the French Coast Guard - again very interesting to observe, but sad since the man lost his life and his body was never recovered. Do bring binoculars, btw!

These ships are really lovely and the entertainment is great - do book all your shows and your restaurants in advance so you will not be disappointed should some of it be sold out (it usually is.)

Unless you drink 6 alcoholic drinks a day every day of your cruise, the drinks packages are not really worth it.

Allure is an absolutely gorgeous ship and there is so much to do onboard. We really enjoyed it. Their strengths are putting on spectacular shows and having sports like flow riders, rock wall climbing, ice skating, etc. onboard. IMO, the main weakness is their lunch buffet, which is pretty limited, although this is made up for by having a pizza place and a sandwich and pastry shop, the soup, salad and sandwich cafe on the 8th floor in Central Park and several specialty restaurants.

Hopefully you booked your flight so you arrive at least a day ahead of the cruise. You won't want to get stressed out over early winter storms affecting flights (plus the other reasons a flight might get delayed).

You should go to the Royal Caribbean website and read the FAQ section. Info about prices for various packages (Internet, drink, etc) should be listed.

Make sure the "go big" idea doesn't mean that you're trying to pack in too many activities on board and in port. Be flexible and go with the flow. You can research the ports by getting a guide book on the area and google each port (you'll find many tourism sites) and then go over possible ideas with your husband.

I would echo not waiting to book a holiday cruise. Our last three cruises were for the last couple weeks of December and know that if you wait too long, there's fewer cabins available. We were waitlisted on some categories in September for the last cruise and every time the phone rang, I would pull up the deck plans for that ship on the Princess site so I can see if what we were being offered was a cabin location we'll like.

Oceanview Guarantee is it worth booking a guarantee room? I guess we don't mind being anywhere on the ship with an oceanview. I don't know if I would really like it not having at lease a window. I plan on booking tomorrow or tonight if I get good advice.

As for the flights we leave same day as the cruise leaves. I know I didn't give ourselves an extra day before we sailed, but it's the only thing that worked out for our schedule & kids. I do plan on purchasing the cruise insurance for this very reason (If I'm correct I read bad weather was covered if our flights couldn't reach the area in time?)

I was googling fun things to do ashore, but I think I'm too afraid to miss the boat back. So I think we might just walk around sight see, enjoy some authentic food and shop. Thinking it will be much cheaper on the wallet too.

Oh also. Do we have to buy all drinks like water? Or can I bring a few bottles of water of my own because $47 for 12 bottles of water ummm....I rather pay to check another small piece of luggage with some drinks.

Guarantee room could be anywhere. Someone may be able to give you more information, but I would assume it could be any deck with a port hole type window. If you are willing to gamble you might save money, but if you have a specific cabin or deck in mind you might be better off booking what you want.

I would be very cautious about flying in the day of the cruise. That could be a real gamble especially the way the airlines operate, not to mention weather delays or baggage delay/lost. Read the insurance very carefully. Also try to arrive as early as possible. Remember you have to be on board 90 minutes before departure (again check specific time) whatever it says is very definite; no wiggle room.

On shore make sure you use a watch set to ship's time. Cell phones may adjust to local time automatically. Your daily compass will tell you what time ship is on.

You do pay for bottled water. There is nothing wrong with ship's water. Your ice and cooking use it. Free drinks include tap water, hot tea, iced tea, coffee, hot chocolate, white and chocolate milk, lemonade, flavored waters in Windjammer, juice (not fresh squeezed) with breakfast. Technically you are not allowed to bring water or pop on board, but most people say that a small amount is usually allowed.

You are allowed to bring two bottles of wine per cabin. All other drivers including soda you pay for individually or buy a package.

First cruise means you don't know what you are missing!

Don't bother with a balcony and re-visit the decision if you do another cruise.

A week long cruise on a large ship means you will just manage to get around and see everything without worrying about a balcony.