Increased HSC from 1st December 2015

Stratheden

Just reading "Know before you Go" and noticed this.

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge*, per guest per day, is:

Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) on sailings departing on or prior to November 30, 2015 US$11.50

Suites on sailings departing on or prior to November 30, 2015 US$12.00

Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) on sailings departing on or after December 1, 2015 US$12.50

Suites on sailings departing on or after December 1, 2015 US$13.50

*The charges are subject to change without notice.

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

I find it interesting that there must be different versions of the KBYG document on the HAL web site depending on your location (i.e. Canada, Australia, etc.).

When I check the document from Canada, I get a different version that has no mention of the new HSC changes taking effect on Dec 1, 2015. Here is what my KBYG version has to say about the topic.

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is USD$12.00*

per guest per day, and USD$11.50* per guest per day for other staterooms. (*The charges are subject to change without notice.) For more details, please visit “Money Matters” under the Shipboard Life section of our website at hollandamerica.com. The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

Perhaps this is another case where HAL doesn't keep all their documentation in sync across all their websites. :confused:

It's a minimal increase and the crew deserves it. IMO, the biggest asset HAL has is their crew. There are some very special people who work on those ships and I have no issue paying a bit more for them to earn a bit more.

To all the Posters who have wondered when or if they will be notified of the HSC increase for cruises already booked, I must ask: Why does it matter since you already know that the HSC will be increased from what has been posted here on CC? In other words, what difference (if any) will it make in your plans? Are you going to cancel your current reservation(s) and wait until prices come down to re-book at a lower price to "offset" the HSC increase? Or are you just going to cancel your HAL cruise(s) to save the $$$? Are you going to take your future cruise business to another cruise line that charges a lower HSC or none at all? Are you going to cut back on your "discretionary" cruise spending, such as photos, shore excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants, and the like? Are you going to decrease the amount of additional tips you had planned to give to your room stewards, waiters, concierges, etc?

The FAQs on HAL's site has been updated to reflect the change. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Money+Matters&contentSubMenu=Is+There+A+Hotel+Service+Charge+(Gratuity/Tip)?&WT.ac=PopTop_Gratuity

For Americans, it is a relatively minor increase. For Canadians, the increase with the exchange rate means paying $12.50 US per day per person, or about $16.87 CAD per day with the exchange rate hovering around 35%. It is over $17 AUS per day.

I do understand the issue of the US vs Canadian dollar very week, and empathize with the Canadians at this time. However, living in the US between 10 and 200 miles of the Canadian Boarder most of my life I remember many trips to Canada when the difference was in the opposite direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my heavens what a lot of kerfluffle about something that was bound to happen.

HSC is part of the cost of your cruise - simple. It's simply increasing and it's not going to break anyone's bank and personally, I think it's deserved.

If you want it included in the cost - just sail some of the premium or luxury cruise lines that do that. You might find the cost is much higher though ;)