Increased HSC from 1st December 2015

Stratheden

Just reading "Know before you Go" and noticed this.

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge*, per guest per day, is:

Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) on sailings departing on or prior to November 30, 2015 US$11.50

Suites on sailings departing on or prior to November 30, 2015 US$12.00

Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) on sailings departing on or after December 1, 2015 US$12.50

Suites on sailings departing on or after December 1, 2015 US$13.50

*The charges are subject to change without notice.

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

I just checked out the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas and the old prices are in that brochure.

Is there any law regarding advertising incorrect prices - they have just released a 2016-2017 Atlas but have increased the prices from December 2015.

Surely they can only charge the extra for those cruises booked after a certain date.

They certainly have it well hidden - i would have thought that all bookings should be advised of the increase.

Thanks for letting us know. Appreciate the heads up.

No real surprise based on a few posts by LAFFNVEGAS.

Doesn't seem like a lot of notice though for those with cruises in December especially if they haven't gotten notice. December 1st cruises would already be past final payment I think?

I just checked out the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas and the old prices are in that brochure.

Is there any law regarding advertising incorrect prices - they have just released a 2016-2017 Atlas but have increased the prices from December 2015.

Surely they can only charge the extra for those cruises booked after a certain date.

They certainly have it well hidden - i would have thought that all bookings should be advised of the increase.

There is probably a statement tucked into the brochure somewhere about HAL's ability to change pricing as needed, on a whim or whatever. Will be interesting to see if (or when) I get notified about the HSC increase for my Jan cruise.

For Pete's sake I wish they would just add it into the cost of the cruise. Heck we the customer is going to pay it one way or the other. I just wish it was up front.

Totally agree but there are some people who get it removed or decreased.......

Now it is just on my list of expected on board charges for budgeting purposes.

There is no nationwide law in th US that requires companies to universally honor advertised prices. Different states have different laws but most of those are aimed at merchants who do the old "bait and switch" or other forms of misleading advertisement. While it still sometimes happens it's generally a lot less prevalent than it once was. That said I doubt that HAL raising the HSC would qualify as "bait and switch" or deliberate misleading advertisement. Obviously to HAL's advantage in this case is that the HSC is an additional cost, not part of the fare, and not absolutely required as it can be deleted or changed.

Thanks for letting us know. Appreciate the heads up.

No real surprise based on a few posts by LAFFNVEGAS.

Doesn't seem like a lot of notice though for those with cruises in December especially if they haven't gotten notice. December 1st cruises would already be past final payment I think?

yes I have a Dec 2 cruise, final payment was Sept 01. - to compound the issue, I just got the one week sale promotion of HSC paid by HAL - the promo states HSC gratutities to be paid by HAL based on $11.50 per day pp, for I, OV, Verandah, and $12 per day pp for suites.

So now, I am just curious if HAL will cover all the gratuities, or just the $11.50 per day. Have to also wonder if they actually worded that specifically with the increase in mind, or if two different departments were not in sync with their information.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

There is probably a statement tucked into the brochure somewhere about HAL's ability to change pricing as needed, on a whim or whatever. Will be interesting to see if (or when) I get notified about the HSC increase for my Jan cruise.

I believe it's in the quote OP posted.

Am not sure it's still in effect but there had been the possibility of a fuel supplement being added. I budgeted for that possibility for Antarctica.

*begin sarcasm font* I guess I'll have to find more creative ways to bring on my "cardbordeaux" to offset the extra $1 per day. *end sarcasm font*

It is still much less than the resort fees some hotels charge. I don't think it is going to be a deal breaker for those really wanting to cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree they should have advised existing bookings of the increase but as for the change itself, the amounts are subject to change without notice. It's a catch all that lets them do it unilaterally. I imagine if someone is upset enough about the increase after booking, they could have it adjusted on board.

So about the cost of a Perrier and a cocktail of the day, respectively. Hardly a wallet buster.

It's all one's perspective.

For Pete's sake I wish they would just add it into the cost of the cruise. Heck we the customer is going to pay it one way or the other. I just wish it was up front.

Then taxes etc would be based on that rate and noone would want the tips to be taxed. Same with all those extra fees on airline tickets... 911-fee is separate so it's not included in the taxes.

There is probably a statement tucked into the brochure somewhere about HAL's ability to change pricing as needed, on a whim or whatever.

The daily Hotel Service Charge*, per guest per day, is: ... on or after December 1, 2015 US$13.50

*The charges are subject to change without notice.

Is HSC added to your bill at final payment time or during the cruise? I would like o use some of my OBC to pay the HSC if possible.
All of your OBCs are posted to your account on day 1, and all charges (including the HSC) eat away at that credit balance until it becomes a debit balance. :)

Edited by jtl513