Is Cape Liberty on Anthem a hectic departure?

Hey guys! I'm considering a January 2017 departure from Cape Liberty via Anthem of the Seas, and wondering if the port is mass chaos to leave from. Although I live in NJ, the last time we left from the Cape, it was on Empress of the Seas, a very small ship, and that was a long time ago. Also, is the Anthem really awesome? We're more into port intensive, smaller ship itineraries for a 12 day cruise (the Empress stopped at 7 islands!) but if the ship is incredible, that's another story. Thanks for your help.

There is a brand new cruise ship terminal at Cape Liberty that is light years better than the old one. It is not chaotic at all. You print out your setsail pass at home after you upload your photo. You don't have to upload the photo at home but it will save you a few minutes at the pier if you do it this way.

Once you drop your luggage off with a porter, go inside and see one of the people walking around with a tablet. They will scan your setsail pass and then you will board the ship. Theoretically the entire process should only take 10 minutes.

We were on the Quantum (Anthem's twin) and had a great time. The technology is pretty amazing and there are plenty of activities to choose from. We enjoyed our time so much on the Quantum that we booked the Anthem for 2016.

Edited by Yorkvillain

Not better or worse than any other pier. It depends on when you get there. 12:00 noon can be a hassle.

The problem usually is some debarking passengers are still around as late as noon. If the traffic is bad, get in the left lane and go right to the parking lot. The walk with your bags is a short one.

I hope things will improve with the Anthem. Check-in on the Quantum for us was not any faster than it was on Liberty last week.

We'll find out when Anthem first arrives in November! We're on her first sailing and are hoping the port more or less has the process down from Quantum's season, although we realize it's the first revenue sailing on Anthem and there could be some delays... hope not though.

The parking garage is currently still under construction so that will change traffic patterns.

We were on the Q twice and the process was improved with our second cruise. As we arrived near the terminal they had people directing traffic. Passengers that were parking their cars were sent in one direction (to the left), people that were being dropped off went directly to the terminal. Those that parked their cars had a baggage check in station located in the parking lot. This dramatically reduced the number of vehicles traveling past the terminal entrance.

The new garage is adjacent to the terminal so it is possible that all vehicles will have to go past the terminal. I would hope that they would have a lane that directly accesses the garage. I have not seen plans so I do not know how they have this all planned but I would hope that they learned a lot with the Q and use that information with the final roadways.

On our first Q cruise, people disregarded their check in times which created a bit of a mob. The second cruise, they looked at your docs and check in time before you passed through security. RCI sent out many emails to not arrive prior to your check in time. Passengers that arrived too early were not permitted through security.

The Q was an amazing ship. Make sure you do online reservations for IFly. We absolutely loved that experience. On board it is possible that all of the times will be booked. They did have a standby line. Since the reservations did not cost anything...many people booked and failed to show up. The dining experience was different going to different restaurants every night. They definitely had to work harder to get this running smoothly so it is no surprise that they have cancelled the dynamic dining on other ships.

Edited by JMG

There is a brand new cruise ship terminal at Cape Liberty that is light years better than the old one. It is not chaotic at all. You print out your setsail pass at home after you upload your photo. You don't have to upload the photo at home but it will save you a few minutes at the pier if you do it this way.

Once you drop your luggage off with a porter, go inside and see one of the people walking around with a tablet. They will scan your setsail pass and then you will board the ship. Theoretically the entire process should only take 10 minutes.

We were on the Quantum (Anthem's twin) and had a great time. The technology is pretty amazing and there are plenty of activities to choose from. We enjoyed our time so much on the Quantum that we booked the Anthem for 2016.

Hi,

We sailed on the Anthem in May this year from Southampton, they used the same system as described above, there were lots of people about, passengers and check in staff.

From parking up and the Stevedores taking our luggage from the car we were on the ship in 10 minutes.

Pete

we sailed on Quantum last Easter. i thought the check in process was horrendous.

easily the worst of my 9 cruises. all kinds of problems with technology and the iPads. according to RCCL once i reached Platinum status (no big deal) i would have priority boarding. not so at Cape Liberty. Depending what date you did your set sail you were assigned a check in time. i didn't make that perk Royal did. The only thing priority about it was my holding area was larger than some others.i admit i do like to get on the ship as early as i can so i was a little miffed when told my so called perk did not apply. Sorry Charlie, you waited to do your set sail, you're at the end of the line. and yes, i would like some cheese with that whine. :(

Edited by one9marine

does anyone know of hotels for night before sail stays near this port? would love one that allows vacation parking.

we are looking at the cruise as well but will be doing a seven hour drive in. beats the cost of flights though.

tia

That kind of information is on this forum:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Our embarkation on Quantum wasn't too bad, but disembarking was a disaster. Timing was delayed and there was complete chaos after picking up your luggage getting into the customs line. The customs line was backed up and the wall that separated the baggage area and the customs area was pulled back. There was no staff stopping new people from merging into the customs line whever they pleased instead of joining the back of the line.

I am hoping they now have staff regulating the area and have the wall between the two sections closed so new people picking up luggage can only join the line at the true end of the line instead of having direct access to the customs.

does anyone know of hotels for night before sail stays near this port? would love one that allows vacation parking.

we are looking at the cruise as well but will be doing a seven hour drive in. beats the cost of flights though.

tia

Trinityreservations.com - Ramada Plaza - hotel room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for about $200+ Tax included. This is the best deal out there.

Not better or worse than any other pier. It depends on when you get there. 12:00 noon can be a hassle.

The problem usually is some debarking passengers are still around as late as noon. If the traffic is bad, get in the left lane and go right to the parking lot. The walk with your bags is a short one.

I hope things will improve with the Anthem. Check-in on the Quantum for us was not any faster than it was on Liberty last week.

Was on Quantum for the April 24th sailing and from drop off to being on the ship was a whole 15 minutes!....K.O.:)