Why all the Carnival Sunshine hate? Should I avoid it?

dulcemariamar

That's a load of rubbish. I can accept someone saying they liked the Sunshine, but to say others didn't are those that haven't sailed in her? That's disingenuous at best. You wouldn't even know that.

I personally have not resailed her because I didn't like her the first time.

But for Carnival trying to pass her off as a new ship? That was sneaky a best. I still read/hear shock at those not knowing she is a 20 year old ship.

I can list many posters here (some in this thread, you among them. What he heck does renaming the ship have to do with anything ?

We sailed the Sunshine last april for our spring break with our kids.

Biggest issues were: only 1 family pool and it was crowded ALL of the time. Even at night. I was very stressful watching my kids in that pool (reminded me of the Disney Dream pools which were super super overcrowded and IMO often dangerous).

2nd issue was the layout of our balcony cabin for 4. The bottom bunk was not the sofa - it folded out and took up a TON of floor space. Our 1st time with this set up and lets say it was just annoying. Not a deal breaker for sure.

The ship did feel more crowded to me, but not awful. The water slides were fun, the ropes course great.

The Sunshine was our least favorite cruise (pool issue for my kids) BUT we still had a great time! Port Canaveral is our favorite port to sail from (we have family near there) and have decided not to sail the Sunshine again- so we will pick other options until she gets moved from there!

What he heck does renaming the ship have to do with anything ?

IMHO, it's deceptive. I understand changing a ship's name when it's being transferred or sold to another cruise line, but changing its name to purposely make people think that it's a completely different ship is insulting. And that's exactly what Carnival had in mind when they came up with this "brilliant" marketing scheme.

But, with all of that said, I believe that Sunshine was part of Gerri Cahill's race to the bottom that cheapened the brand and did quite a bit of damage to its image. While other cruise lines were launching truly new and innovative ships, Carnival was taking the cheap route and refurbishing an old ship and pretending it was new. Every time I logged on to the Carnival website and I'd see the "NEW!" banner next to the Sunshine, it would make my stomach churn. What a crock.

Thankfully, I believe that, with Gerri Cahill's departure, Carnival has turned the corner and is truly making an effort to become the cruise line that so many became a fan of once again.

Edited by Tapi

Actually what I said I will stand by. Did I say reviews? I said negative posts, and it is right on. To further argue the point, most of the negative reviews were from when she launched before she was ready. I will stand by my comments.

There are a lot of posts/reviews about the sunshine, find me one where someone gives any specific comments who has not been on the ship, without them start by saying " I heard" or "I read". There are several on this thread already and I believe they are all from folks that have been on the ship. I am not saying it is a bad ship. I am saying it is more crowded than others. That is a fact just by the actual size of the ship compared to the number of passengers it holds. Some people will like it some will not, however, it is a fact it is more crowded than others.

I can list many posters here (some in this thread, you among them. What he heck does renaming the ship have to do with anything ?

Don't know. I didn't bring it up, but being you did, what would be the reason they would think they would need to change a name? Quite odd if you ask me. What would have happened had the name Destiny was kept?

Don't know. I didn't bring it up, but being you did, what would be the reason they would think they would need to change a name? Quite odd if you ask me. What would have happened had the name Destiny was kept?

Because it sure the heck ain't the Destiny. Go on it then comment. I did

What possible difference does it make? How do you know it is deceptive? As far as I am concerned it is a new ship. Does it have have the same hull and engines sure. Dose any of that matter to. Cruiser? Not in the least. May many new features, it was a great cruise. Maybe instead of being worried what others either read into it or not sail her. This is reference to post 29 (Tapi's post).

Edited by jimbo5544

There are a lot of posts/reviews about the sunshine, find me one where someone gives any specific comments who has not been on the ship, without them start by saying " I heard" or "I read". There are several on this thread already and I believe they are all from folks that have been on the ship. I am not saying it is a bad ship. I am saying it is more crowded than others. That is a fact just by the actual size of the ship compared to the number of passengers it holds. Some people will like it some will not, however, it is a fact it is more crowded than others.

Look no further then the post before you. This ship was ripped when early sailings had issues. A lot of these were from people who were not on and never will be. I don't think it felt any more crowded than any other Conquest class ship I sailed on. I base this not on stats of cabins and or common space but being on the ship.

I have read a lot of reviews on this ship, some good, some bad, but lately I am seeing more good to very good ones. It does not matter to me how old the hull of the ship is ( I am going on Victory next month:), but the photos of Sunshine do look dazzling. It has been refurbished and decorated in a modern style. If the price, itin, and port of departure were right for me, I would not hesitate to book her.

I said I would never sail on her, but I ended up getting a great deal for our cruise this past Feb./Mar. and said what the heck, let's go. I loved it! I enjoyed sailing on her so much that we are booked on her again for next May. :) Give her a try and decide for yourself.

After initial concerns, we've decided to give the Sunshine a try. No ship is perfect. We loved the outdoor family fun features of the Magic but found it too spread out. We loved the size of the older, smaller ships, but my kids missed the sports square and waterworks. Honestly, we've never cared much about the pool/s on cruise ships, because we can swim in much larger and less crowded pools at home. I think the reviews with positives and negatives give us a good idea of what expectations to have and how to prepare for potential problems. Hopefully, I'll manage to post a review after our trip.

After initial concerns, we've decided to give the Sunshine a try. No ship is perfect. We loved the outdoor family fun features of the Magic but found it too spread out. We loved the size of the older, smaller ships, but my kids missed the sports square and waterworks. Honestly, we've never cared much about the pool/s on cruise ships, because we can swim in much larger and less crowded pools at home. I think the reviews with positives and negatives give us a good idea of what expectations to have and how to prepare for potential problems. Hopefully, I'll manage to post a review after our trip.

You will have a wonderful time....

To everyone going on the Sunshine; go and enjoy, know what to expect, read reviews, but dont worry about the negative ones. If you go with an open mind, willing to experience a different ship, etc, you will have a great time.

I am going on the Victory next month. It is a 15 year old ship, older than the ones I have cruised recently on (Freedom x 2, and Liberty 6yrs ago), Valor 8 years ago, yet I knew going in that it would be older, smaller, without 2.0 (which does not impress me much anyway). I read the reviews on that ship as well, and some are downright nasty, horrible, but by far I am reading positive and mostly positive reviews, balanced reviews with some good, some not so good.

I do not really worry much about what some one else found horrible, or even not quite up to scratch, those things might not even be of importance to me. I chose the ship for several reasons, (time frame, cost, cabin availability, itinerary). I know that I will have an excellent cruise as always

Just keep in mind that good reviews should be balanced, with some things that could be better for that individual, but please never ever place any credence in the reviews that say...."WORST CRUISE EVER". "HORRIBLE SHIP" etc. Hope you all enjoy the Sunshine, and come back and write some balanced reviews.

We sailed the Sunshine out of NOLA in March of 2014 and loved it. When I read negative reviews on any ship it often mentions the cabin location being under the pool or near the engine or a night club and being noisy. That is true on any ship. So I dismiss many of those reviews. We were fortunate to have an Aft balcony on deck 7 along with an interior for the kids but have also sailed on the Elation over the engine on deck 2 with my 3 kids and still loved the cruise. We loved the Sunshine. My twins still say it is their favorite ship even though the pools were small. Maybe it was my attitude and positivity that we were blessed to be able to sail such a beautiful ship.

The only complaint I would agree with is the size of the comedy club. But as luck would have it the first night I had to stand in the back of the adult comedy show but who did I end up standing next to? Ken..the head Maître D. I looked at him and said...I know you. He asked where we were dining and since we dined in the Steak House the first night we were unaware we were in a smaller dining room that he was not serving. So the next morning we had a card reassigning us to a booth in his dining room and was that ever a great experience (those that have sailed with him know what I am talking about).

We loved the Sushi restaurant, the 3 level Serenity deck (I loved being next to the Lido deck) and the water works. The Havana bar was wonderful and a great place to have a quite breakfast or a drink in the afternoon. Was it perfect? No, but we loved the ship and would sail her again. I just love cruising and keep my expectations realistic and have never had a bad cruise on Carnival. Had problems? Yes, but just lucky to be able to cruise.

ImageUploadedByForums1442797949.917197.jpg.be0b0b8d9ee405cb3c98d605ecb170c6.jpg

Edited by RoscoeJames

Op, I think you got your answer from the majority of cruisers who have sailed on her. Good luck on your decision.

You dont need to have BEEN on the ship to give advice! Just having been on the ship and having a good experience, does not make you an expert on that ship/cruise!

I believe it is more about having a good attitude going into your cruise, having an idea what to expect, what not to expect, having an open mind, and open attitude etc. not expecting to hate what others have hated, or loved what others have loved in their reviews.

I believe that everyone has different things that they like to enjoy on cruises, and it is often up to the individual to find their own "niche" on board.

OP, just go and enjoy, and be prepared for maybe one thing or another that does not appeal. No cruise will be 100pc perfect nor the WORSE ever one.

You dont need to have BEEN on the ship to give advice! Just having been on the ship and having a good experience, does not make you an expert on that ship/cruise!

I believe it is more about having a good attitude going into your cruise, having an idea what to expect, what not to expect, having an open mind, and open attitude etc. not expecting to hate what others have hated, or loved what others have loved in their reviews.

I believe that everyone has different things that they like to enjoy on cruises, and it is often up to the individual to find their own "niche" on board.

OP, just go and enjoy, and be prepared for maybe one thing or another that does not appeal. No cruise will be 100pc perfect nor the WORSE ever one.

Of course not, I was cautioning the OP on posters who are only here to discredit anything positive regarding a Carnival ship.

I did a quick Sunshine cruise last year, the ship did feel new, I have been on her when she was the Destiny as well. Public areas were absolutely gorgeous. Cabin felt "new" as well. the only thing that felt old were the stairwells, and who cares?? lol. As for crowding , didn't seem that bad to me, but it was only a two night cruise.