Credit/Debit card usage in Europe

TAD2005

In October, I will be in Greece, Italy, Spain and the Azores (Portugal) on the Zuiderdam. My bank and credit card company has an $800 per day limit on ATM withdrawals in the US. I have heard that European ATM's also impose tighter limits, as low as 250 Euros. Are those lower limits on a per 24 hour basis, or on a per transaction basis ? If I want to withdraw 500 Euros, can I go to 2 different ATM's on the same day, or must I wait 24 hours for the 2nd transaction ?

My bank says I can withdraw the Euro equivalent of $800 USD per day (about 707 Euros). So, if I see a 250 Euro limit, that must be coming from the European bank, or the machine has limits on each withdrawal.

Has anyone experienced limits when withdrawing Euros, and if so, which country were you in and what were the limits ?

In October, I will be in Greece, Italy, Spain and the Azores (Portugal) on the Zuiderdam. My bank and credit card company has an $800 per day limit on ATM withdrawals in the US. I have heard that European ATM's also impose tighter limits, as low as 250 Euros. Are those lower limits on a per 24 hour basis, or on a per transaction basis ? If I want to withdraw 500 Euros, can I go to 2 different ATM's on the same day, or must I wait 24 hours for the 2nd transaction ?

My bank says I can withdraw the Euro equivalent of $800 USD per day (about 707 Euros). So, if I see a 250 Euro limit, that must be coming from the European bank, or the machine has limits on each withdrawal.

Has anyone experienced limits when withdrawing Euros, and if so, which country were you in and what were the limits ?

The limits on the ABM withdrawals in Europe are very dependent on the individual banking machines. Some give out more than others. It has no effect on your limit. so if you hit a machine that only gives 250 euros, you can just go ahead and get another 250 euros (subject to their abm fee and your own financial institution of course).

My friends ran low on euros and I was getting some so I simply made two withdrawals on the same machine (because of the limit) so they would have their euros too.

Some machines are 500 euros, some 650 euros, some 250 euros, etc.

It's not so much the country in Europe but the banking machine, how much it can hold and how much it is geared to give out so that it doesn't run out of money.

hope this helps a bit :)

My experiences exactly mirror what Kazu said. :)

Your bank sets the OVERALL daily limit.

Individual ATMs may have a PER TRANSACTION limit. But this can be circumvented by making two smaller transactions, usually not a problem.

ATM keypads in Europe generally only have numbers, not letters so know your pin number! Also, it's recommended to use an ATM, when possible, that is attached to a bank -- just in case of issues.

P.S. Also keep in mind that the daily limit is usually set via US time zones. So if you withdraw euro late in the evening one day and then try to get more the next morning, both of those transactions may be attributed to the same US 24-hour period.

Edited by cruisemom42

My experiences exactly mirror what Kazu said. :)

Your bank sets the OVERALL daily limit.

Individual ATMs may have a PER TRANSACTION limit. But this can be circumvented by making two smaller transactions, usually not a problem.

ATM keypads in Europe generally only have numbers, not letters so know your pin number! Also, it's recommended to use an ATM, when possible, that is attached to a bank -- just in case of issues.

P.S. Also keep in mind that the daily limit is usually set via US time zones. So if you withdraw euro late in the evening one day and then try to get more the next morning, both of those transactions may be attributed to the same US 24-hour period.

very good point on the time difference cruisemom!

Also, for the OP, I'd have some euros for Greece and not rely to much on ABM's . Their banking machine allotments have been very low and although the crisis has been somewhat averted, that may well still be the case in some locations. Just a thought.

Edited by kazu

On the other hand, I use ATMs in all my travels, including Europe, Central America, wherever. However, it never hurts to be cautious. I also carry credit cards that have no foreign transaction fee, so that's how I make most of my purchases. But you need cash for incidentals.

I think it is a mistake to totally rely on ATMs when abroad. On two separate trips we had a card compromised and put on hold by the bank. We carry some cash from home. We use a chip credit card with no international fee as much as possible.

Yes, agree. Plenty of exchange bureaus in Europe so easy to change small amounts of dollars (or sterling in my case) for incidentals.

I use USAA FSB in the states and they told me I can request an increase in my allowed daily withdrawal either permanently or just for my upcoming 12 day Adriatic Sea cruise next April. Since most of my private tours pre-cruise and the others I arranged give better rates for using the euro I plan and making withdrawals when in Italy. I see only issues with carrying a lot of cash either euro or $$$ in advance. When I can I plan on using a no fee credit card but cash when euros get me better deals. Seems like most tours in Italy charge high exchange rates for US dollars or credit card use

On the other hand, I use ATMs in all my travels, including Europe, Central America, wherever. However, it never hurts to be cautious. I also carry credit cards that have no foreign transaction fee, so that's how I make most of my purchases. But you need cash for incidentals.

Which credit cards have no foreign trans fee?

I know this is really old fashioned but we still travel with travelers checks. My husband worked for the bank and they give them to us at no charge. We only use them on the ship. When we are running low on money, we go to the front desk and get them cashed at our leisure. None of our sightseeing time is taken looking for an ATM. Just deposit the extra checks, if there are any, back in our account when we return home.

I think it is a mistake to totally rely on ATMs when abroad. On two separate trips we had a card compromised and put on hold by the bank. We carry some cash from home. We use a chip credit card with no international fee as much as possible.

Excellent point which is why we carry 3 different ATM/Debit cards each drawn on separate accounts in different banks/credit unions. When we take long driving trips (well over a month) the idea of carrying thousands of Euros in cash is not an attractive option. So we do rely totally on ATMs (have done this on many trips over many years) with our emergency back-up being that we could get cash advances (on any of our major credit cards) at a bank.

Hank

Thanks for the tip Don.

Sue, I have a Sears Mastercard that I use just for that purpose. No foreign transaction fee. It is a Chase card.

One more word of caution, however - I never use my debit card at those stand-alone ATMs, I always use ones at an actual bricks and mortar bank, both at home and on my travels. And a little research will tell you which European banks are affiliated with your home bank, so less of a charge per withdrawal.

I know this is really old fashioned but we still travel with travelers checks. My husband worked for the bank and they give them to us at no charge. We only use them on the ship. When we are running low on money, we go to the front desk and get them cashed at our leisure. None of our sightseeing time is taken looking for an ATM. Just deposit the extra checks, if there are any, back in our account when we return home.

Most places tourists go, there are plenty of ATMs. I've used them all over Europe, Asia, North Africa -- I've never spent any more time looking for one than the amount of time it takes to buy a postcard or make a bathroom stop.

Outside of the ship, there are very few places now that will accept traveler's checks, even banks.

Edited by cruisemom42

Sue, I have a Sears Mastercard that I use just for that purpose. No foreign transaction fee. It is a Chase card.

One more word of caution, however - I never use my debit card at those stand-alone ATMs, I always use ones at an actual bricks and mortar bank, both at home and on my travels. And a little research will tell you which European banks are affiliated with your home bank, so less of a charge per withdrawal.

I have two different credit cards with no foreign transaction fee (Delta-branded AMEX and Capital One Venture. I also have a Cap One checking account that does not charge the foreign conversion fee or any withdrawal fees.

Both the credit cards are also now chip-and-signature. Only thing I need now is to get a real chip-and-pin card!

Only thing I need now is to get a real chip-and-pin card!
My HAL/Barclay Visa card did not charge any foreign transaction fees on out last two or three cruises, and just a couple days ago they asked me to choose a PIN for a new card which will have a chip. Plus you get 2 points per dollar on every HAL purchase which are good for OBCs, beverage cards, etc.

Edited by jtl513

My HAL/Barclay Visa card did not charge any foreign transaction fees on out last two or three cruises, and just a couple days ago they asked me to choose a PIN for a new card which will have a chip. Plus you get 2 points per dollar on every HAL purchase which are good for OBCs, beverage cards, etc.

I have a HAL Barclay Visa, have not yet gotten a new card. It looks like (having just researched it online) that it is primarily chip-and-signature with a back-up mode of chip-and-pin.

Which credit cards have no foreign trans fee?

My Capital One Quicksilver Card has no foreign Transaction fee.. In addition it rebates me 1.5% in points or cash...

DH also has a separate Capital One Platinum card with No Foreign Transaction Fee.. His rebate is only 1% but his card has his picture on it...Wish my new Quicksilver card had my picture on it, as think it's actually safer..

We each have our own Capital One Accounts with different account Numbers which we use primarily for travel.. Reason for two accounts is, if one is compromised we can use the other one.. We requested a very low limit on for both our Capital One cards..

In addition, we both have two other joint cards with higher limits, which we use at home.. We try to charge as much as possible & pay all our credit card bills in full every month.. We take those other two cards on vacation but they remain in the ship safe, and will only be used in an emergency

We try not to carry a lot of cash on our trips

Edited by serendipity1499