Chest/Cough Problems on Navigator?

Dawne B R

So for all the people who have sailed Navigator and developed a cough, are you reporting it to RCCI along with your cruise date so they can address this problem and how widespread it is? Is this something that is reported to the CDC or similar reporting organization? From the number of posts on here, it appears to be a recurring problem and potential health issue...

I have two friends who were on that sailing as well. They both started with scratchy throats on the last night of the cruise and have been sick this week. Somebody came on with it and it got around.

That's what happens when folks come down with something after final payment date ... they've been anticipating the cruise for months, and a little cough or scratchy throat isn't going to get in the way of a long-planned vacation.

It just comes with the territory, which is why we wash our hands (not just use the sanitizer) many times daily, and use an anti-bacterial spray in our stateroom ... we ask our attendant to give it a spritz both morning and evening. It's a simple precaution, and we've been fortunate so far ... just a little preventative maintenance.

Al

Yes, I wrote a letter to RCCL. My husband and I are constantly washing our hands and spritzing. His cough lasted about two weeks after the cruise.

I found it interesting that the nurse told us it was ventilation and admitted that the crusie director had it too adn then they were replacing all of the filters.

Yes, I wrote a letter to RCCL. My husband and I are constantly washing our hands and spritzing. His cough lasted about two weeks after the cruise.

I found it interesting that the nurse told us it was ventilation and admitted that the crusie director had it too adn then they were replacing all of the filters.

A nurse saying that is wrong on so many different levels. JMHO

A nurse saying that is wrong on so many different levels. JMHO

Not if she has good reason for saying it. There are things that can live in a ventilation system... mostly molds... and these things do cause nasty chest coughs. If that's what it was, though, they wouldn't be changing the filters, they'd be (hopefully) shutting down the AC and cleaning it. It seems to me that it would be highly unprofessional to speculate about something like that though, and I honestly doubt that whatever "it" was, was coming from the A/C.

Replacing air filters is also not strong evidence, since I'm sure they do that every 6 months and I'm sure that they always replace all the filters at the same time.

Not good news, I already have a slight cough. I will bring my usual anti-bacterial spray for the entire cabin!!

So, you are one of those folks who bring the virus onboard with you, spread it around and then worry about getting something from a "sick ship".

Fortunately I have only gotten sick on one cruise and it was a couple of days after spending two days in Egypt....most likely I ate something bad...or touched something in one of those lovely public restrooms. :( Spent a couple of days confined to my cabin and recovered well.

We debarked NOS on Sept. 27 after three delightful weeks on board. I honestly did not notice anyone coughing, but, of course, that doesn't mean people didn't have these issues. Our MDR experiences were very good, food wise and wait staff wise. My husband walked daily on deck four and never noticed bad odors, but that could vary by time of day. I agree the WJ for lunch was pretty weak for anyone not interested in Asian food, which I love. Too many hamburger/hot dog stations!

I'd be pretty concerned if the nurse on the ship told me this was caused by something in the ventilation, bacterial or not. I'd be writing a letter to RCCL and hoping they'd be taking something like this very, very seriously.

I came home from the Caribbean with bronchitis last year...is this something the CDC should be monitoring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, you are one of those folks who bring the virus onboard with you, spread it around and then worry about getting something from a "sick ship".

As I noted above, nothing short of a totally debilitating condition is going to get in the way of a long-anticipated vacation once final payment is made ... and I do understand that to a degree. We consciously take precautions (perhaps to a fault, but so be it), and have been fortunate thus far ... and we've cruised virtually all over the world. Folks get sick in all kinds of venues ... cruise ships, airplanes, even hospitals, so it's simply a matter of preventive maintenance and finger-crossing.

Al

Please remember there are diseases caused by large air conditioning units such as Legionaires disease. (Philadelphia 1976) Many people are sensitive to mold that can accumulate where there is moisture and it can precipitate illnesses including longtime coughing. This is a reality of traveling and staying outside your home. It is important for people to report symptoms to see if there is any commonality to accurately assess the situation. Thanks to those brave enough to share your experiences.

I came home from the Caribbean with bronchitis last year...is this something the CDC should be monitoring?

I'm going to apply for a government grant to go to the Caribbean and investigate this for you! I should probably investigate a good sampling of both land based resorts and cruise ships. It may take me all winter.

I'm going to apply for a government grant to go to the Caribbean and investigate this for you! I should probably investigate a good sampling of both land based resorts and cruise ships. It may take me all winter.

For folks with compromised respiratory issues this is no joking matter.

For folks with compromised respiratory issues this is no joking matter.

If it's that serious you should be contacting, the cruise line, the CDC directly, and discussing the issue with your doctor. Getting an 'I read on the internet' opinion is worth what you paid for it.

CC is good for opinions, reviews, and advice.

It is not good for information serious health issues.

As I noted above, nothing short of a totally debilitating condition is going to get in the way of a long-anticipated vacation once final payment is made ... and I do understand that to a degree. We consciously take precautions (perhaps to a fault, but so be it), and have been fortunate thus far ... and we've cruised virtually all over the world. Folks get sick in all kinds of venues ... cruise ships, airplanes, even hospitals, so it's simply a matter of preventive maintenance and finger-crossing.

Al

Exactly. Whenever I see these "We got sick on our cruise! Anyone else?" posts, I always wonder if they have never gotten sick in their non-vacationing life before. Yes, it sucks to get sick on vacation, but the bottom line is, unless you keep yourself in a completely sealed bubble, you're going to come into contact with germs - and the more people you're around and the closer the quarters are you're sharing with people, the more likely it is that you'll pick up something.

It's part of life. And not to be snarky, but if your immune system is such that it cannot be compromised, a cruise may not be the right kind of vacation for you simply because you ARE in close proximity to so many others with (unless you live only on your balcony - or outside on the decks, but there will be others there) pretty much recirculated air. Ditto flying to get somewhere.

And not to be snarky, but if your immune system is such that it cannot be compromised, a cruise may not be the right kind of vacation for you simply because you ARE in close proximity to so many others with (unless you live only on your balcony - or outside on the decks, but there will be others there) pretty much recirculated air. Ditto flying to get somewhere.

Thank you :) Ive been sitting here a while trying to find the words to post the same thing without coming off snarky and rude. You did a fine job and I agree with you 100%

Thank you :) Ive been sitting here a while trying to find the words to post the same thing without coming off snarky and rude. You did a fine job and I agree with you 100%

Thanks! :) It's always tough to figure out how to say it, because inevitably there will be someone who comes on and says their feelings/experiences are being discounted and/or why should they have to not do something they love.

Exactly. Whenever I see these "We got sick on our cruise! Anyone else?" posts, I always wonder if they have never gotten sick in their non-vacationing life before. Yes, it sucks to get sick on vacation, but the bottom line is, unless you keep yourself in a completely sealed bubble, you're going to come into contact with germs - and the more people you're around and the closer the quarters are you're sharing with people, the more likely it is that you'll pick up something.

It's part of life. And not to be snarky, but if your immune system is such that it cannot be compromised, a cruise may not be the right kind of vacation for you simply because you ARE in close proximity to so many others with (unless you live only on your balcony - or outside on the decks, but there will be others there) pretty much recirculated air. Ditto flying to get somewhere.

I have to love your sentiment....when you write: "I always wonder if they have never gotten sick in their non-vacationing life before." -- because this is so true. What do they attribute the illness that they came down to while at home.

I am truly one of the luckiest people I know....In over 20 years, I have not gotten sick....even when I think I may be coming down with something, in 12 hours those signs are gone...my DH attributes it to the 'germs tried to find a happy home in me, but the healthy atmosphere of my system, killed them off instead'.

So if you need a travelling companion to take on your cruise, I am 'for hire' -- I have often said, put me in a room where germs are and the germs leave...I clearly give off an energy that tells them they should fear for their lives -- they are afraid that I hang around with others who have as strong an immune system as ME.

I quite agree and if I return from my next cruise as sick as the last one I will sadly need to consider closing the curtain on 25 years of wonderful cruising. That said, I find the cavalier attitude toward a potential shipboard environmental hazard that should probably be addressed a little off putting.

First, I didn't read the whole thread.... but the minute i read it I could see where it was going....

This post is hysteria. Come on. Someone had a cough....we heard it was the boogeyman in the ventaliation. This is the kind of post that just stirs the pot and has everyone making wild assumptions....come on guys.

People get sick, over 2000 passengers and another, what, 1500 crew?

Getting a little nervous now. We cruise this ship on October 4th.. on the 8th deck. Between this and the electricity outage post..eek. This will also be our first cruise. :o

Prime example