Service Charge (Tips) Increase

jarand

The trip I have booked is a burial at sea of my husband's ashes, and I am taking 6 of my family members. Will I be able to pay their gratuities ahead of time?

Yes, the staff definitely deserve them, but I want to take the burden of them family thinking they need to take care of this themselves (even tho they would without hesitation). I want a perfect trip for them so they don't have to think of anything else.

The trip I have booked is a burial at sea of my husband's ashes, and I am taking 6 of my family members. Will I be able to pay their gratuities ahead of time?

Yes, the staff definitely deserve them, but I want to take the burden of them family thinking they need to take care of this themselves (even tho they would without hesitation). I want a perfect trip for them so they don't have to think of anything else.

What a thoughtful thing for you to do. You can't pre-pay the HSC but you can purchase onboard credits in advance of the cruise for the members of your party in increments of $25 I think it is. (We do this for ourselves so we know the HSC is covered before we sail).

Would guess if 1 booking number, you would pay the Nov rate - but one never knows until it happens. Please let us know when you get back.

Sorry, I was just curious, not an involved party. No Collectors Cruises booked until 3/2017.

Roy

Well, that explains it. I was wondering why my invoice showed an increase. You would have thought that HAL would have sent an explanation along with the invoice. I don't mind the increase. I just think HAL should explain it when sending a bill for a paid in full cruise.

You have not been billed for the Hotel Service charge yet...You will receive a bill on board for all your purchases plus the Hotel Service Charge..

You can take it off and not pay anything if you want. I don't like the cruise companies telling me what I have to tip..

IMO HAL should take the same route that NCL is taking by not permitting anyone to remove the Hotel Service charge until after they get home..

Those who want a refund should say WHY they think a refund is due them! The reason for the Hotel service charge, is that over 30% of cruisers never tipped! This figure is from Bruce Muzz who happens to be a Senior Officer on another Cruise Line..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=620368&page=2

Hotels charge a service charge & you CANNOT remove it, so why is a cruise any different? Also why would anyone want to stiff the crew by removing it from their account?

I would also bet my last dollar that anyone who removes the Hotel Service charge is not tipping what is deserved!

IMO the crew deserves any increase that HAL gives them & MORE!!! That's the reason why we give a little extra to those who make our cruises so enjoyable..

Edited by serendipity1499

Of course, it is from the 'customer base'. EVERYTHING connected with the ship, crew, headquarters, all having to do with the company are paid from the 'customer base'. Pay it here or pay it there but who else would be paying it? :D

It is a for profit business.

Hotels charge a service charge & you CANNOT remove it, so why is a cruise any different? Also why would anyone want to stiff the crew by removing it from their account?

Could you please explain what you mean by this. We always prepay our hotels before we travel. Unless we use the phone, mini bar or eat in the restaurant or drink at the bar etc. we don't have an amount to pay when we check out.

We have never paid a HSC in a US, Canadian or European hotel.

Could you please explain what you mean by this. We always prepay our hotels before we travel. Unless we use the phone, mini bar or eat in the restaurant or drink at the bar etc. we don't have an amount to pay when we check out.

We have never paid a HSC in a US, Canadian or European hotel.

I was in the travel business for 33 years & have traveled all over the world.. Many times I've paid a Hotel Service Charge even in Europe & the U.S. .. I've even paid a service charge in Restaurants in Europe , South Amer. & Asia.. In some cases you don't even realize you are paying an extra service charge.. At least the cruise lines are up-front with it..

Read these articles.. You would be amazed at some of the extra hidden charges!

Some even charge a Hotel Service Charge in addition to a Hotel Service Tax..

http://thelogicalindian.com/news/dont-get-cheated-service-charges-in-your-hotel-bills-is-nowhere-related-to-service-tax-clarifies-finance-ministry/

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/hotel-and-b-and-b/hidden-hotel-fees

http://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answers-g58258-d84021-t140207-The_Hotel_Charges_22_service_charge_What_is_the.html

In my opinion, wouldnt it be better if the crew were paid a living wage up front by the cruise lines, so that none of them have to rely on the tips to make ends meet. The cruise company should just add these costs to the cruise fare up front, no extra service charges appearing at cruise end. When you pay for your cruise at the beginning it is paid, no add ons other than legitimate purchases appear on your final bill. I have the same problem with the 18% it should be included up front, you know what you are paying and the cruise companies dont have any problems trying to explain everything.

That is what we do in Australia, hospitality staff are paid a living wage, and we tip if the service is good.

It is also a requirement that the full amount payable by a purchaser is disclosed in the price displayed, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than the way things are done. No add ons where one has to try and calculate what something is actually going to cost you at the checkout. Full disclosure makes for much happier customers in my opinion.

AND a living wage paid to the crew.

AND the fare paid is inclusive of all charges, no extras added on other than purchases.

I am probably making enemies here, but this system is confusing and also the customer should not have to try and calculate the full cost of every purchase, when it could so easily just be included.

OK start firing the bullets !!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my opinion' date=' wouldnt it be better if the crew were paid a living wage up front by the cruise lines, so that none of them have to rely on the tips to make ends meet. The cruise company should just add these costs to the cruise fare up front, no extra service charges appearing at cruise end. When you pay for your cruise at the beginning it is paid, no add ons other than legitimate purchases appear on your final bill. I have the same problem with the 18% it should be included up front, you know what you are paying and the cruise companies dont have any problems trying to explain everything.

That is what we do in Australia, hospitality staff are paid a living wage, and we tip if the service is good.

It is also a requirement that the full amount payable by a purchaser is disclosed in the price displayed, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than the way things are done. No add ons where one has to try and calculate what something is actually going to cost you at the checkout. Full disclosure makes for much happier customers in my opinion.

AND the fare paid is inclusive of all charges, no extras added on other than purchases.

I am probably making enemies here, but this system is confusing and also the customer should not have to try and calculate the full cost of every purchase, when it could so easily just be included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

Both Bruce Muzz & Phillip217 have explained that the reason it is not done is because the crew would have to pay additional taxes on their earnings..Take a look at these posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32624244&postcount=73

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209141&page=2

(Post No. 32)

This is what Phillip posted:

On May 26, 2008 Phillip217, who is a Cruise Line Officer, discussed the History of Tipping & why the Cruise Lines cannot incorporate tips in your Cruise cost..This is what he said..

"For all of those who whine and moan about just adding extra money to the price of the cruise and omitting tipping altogether, you may be surprised to learn that the cruise lines have actually considered that idea a few times over the past 100 years. If we did it, that money would be taxable and commissionable, reducing the net earnings of our crew rather substantially.Phillip answers several more questions throughout this thread ...His posts are very informative...I downloaded a couple of his posts into WORD, (4 pages) However, failed to note the URL for the thread & can't pull up anything for 2008..

Phillip goes on to explain what waiters make on most cruise lines..He claims that all Crew are guaranteed a minimum wage in their contract: $1.00 per day plus tips with a minimum guarantee..This is part of what he said:

"Most cruise line waiters are promised a MINIMUM GUARANTEED SALARY of around US$1600 - US$2200 PER MONTH."

He goes on to say that when ships go into dry dock, if the & waiters have not made their guaranteed minimum the cruise line must put $$$ into the tipping pool..

If anyone has the ability to pull up the URL it might be worth it to bring the thread forward again or even post the URL on this thread...

In my opinion' date=' wouldnt it be better if the crew were paid a living wage up front by the cruise lines, so that none of them have to rely on the tips to make ends meet. The cruise company should just add these costs to the cruise fare up front, no extra service charges appearing at cruise end. When you pay for your cruise at the beginning it is paid, no add ons other than legitimate purchases appear on your final bill. I have the same problem with the 18% it should be included up front, you know what you are paying and the cruise companies dont have any problems trying to explain everything.

[/quote']

I'm not going to fire bullets, but I would have to ask: what do you call a living wage? From where most of these people come, a living wage is drastically different for them as it is for us.

If you're basing it on western standards, then you can probably kiss the low fares you are likely to pay goodbye.

I have never had an issue tipping the staff who serves me, but I do resent a bit "tipping" the rest of the staff. It's just a way for the lines to avoid paying out of their pocket and pay out of ours instead.

For what it's worth, I still tip each person who waits on me over and above the hotel charge, including the room attendant. I will easily (and happily) tip out a good $150 to $200 more for a seven nighter above the service charge.

I'm not going to fire bullets, but I would have to ask: what do you call a living wage? From where most of these people come, a living wage is drastically different for them as it is for us.

If you're basing it on western standards, then you can probably kiss the low fares you are likely to pay goodbye.

I have never had an issue tipping the staff who serves me, but I do resent a bit "tipping" the rest of the staff. It's just a way for the lines to avoid paying out of their pocket and pay out of ours instead.

For what it's worth, I still tip each person who waits on me over and above the hotel charge, including the room attendant. I will easily (and happily) tip out a good $150 to $200 more for a seven nighter above the service charge.

I'm curious - why do you resent this? There are lots of people behind the scenes that make your cruise enjoyable. Laundry, cooks, people in the Lido, the people who clean the bannisters, stairways, the list is endless.

They all contribute to your enjoyment of the cruise and the ship - not just the people that you see face to face.

I agree to a certain extent, I too am happy to tip for great service.

But I do object to the "where they come from" bit, which means that because they dont/cant earn "a living wage" in their own countries, then it is OK to pay them less than what they are worth, and use the gratuities paid by cruisers to make their wages up to a "reasonable standard", whatever that is.

Anyway, what I was getting at, is why dont the cruise companies just add it to the fare up front. Same as the 18% why cant it be added up front so the costs are absolutely clear. They do that with the port costs dont they????

Chris

I'm curious - why do you resent this? There are lots of people behind the scenes that make your cruise enjoyable. Laundry, cooks, people in the Lido, the people who clean the bannisters, stairways, the list is endless.

They all contribute to your enjoyment of the cruise and the ship - not just the people that you see face to face.

I do not resent this, I just not understand why it is not part of the cruise fare and payable at the time of booking. I like to see everything up front and payable in my fare, not on a daily basis.

Chris

I was in the travel business for 33 years & have traveled all over the world.. Many times I've paid a Hotel Service Charge even in Europe & the U.S. .. I've even paid a service charge in Restaurants in Europe , South Amer. & Asia.. In some cases you don't even realize you are paying an extra service charge.. At least the cruise lines are up-front with it..

Read these articles.. You would be amazed at some of the extra hidden charges!

Some even charge a Hotel Service Charge in addition to a Hotel Service Tax..

http://thelogicalindian.com/news/dont-get-cheated-service-charges-in-your-hotel-bills-is-nowhere-related-to-service-tax-clarifies-finance-ministry/

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/hotel-and-b-and-b/hidden-hotel-fees

http://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answers-g58258-d84021-t140207-The_Hotel_Charges_22_service_charge_What_is_the.html

Good morning Serindipity!

Your right on all counts!

In San Diego the Hotel Service Tax is 12.5 %. (10.5) is tax to hotel and (2.5%) goes to our marketing of San Diego. On top of that there are HSC on a lot of hotels here. Since my husband travels all around the world with points we stay at hotels a lot we have paid tax on our visit and HSC here as well as abroad.

Look at your bills especially in France, for dinners. You pay in addition a service charges. We just came back from Nice, France and a lot of restraints do that!

As for us I have stated we will always pay gladly to our wonderful crew that we see and the crew who work behind the lines?

Denise:)

I never understand the controversy over the service charge especially the add it to my cruise fare argument. I prefer the cruise line actually telling me that this specific charge is going to these specific people in this amount. If it is simply added to the fare then I have no idea who is getting what. Either way the money is still coming out of my pocket in the same amount.

I don't remember where I read/heard this, but I thought that in the days before the automatically added service charge, the people who were tipped directly would pass along part of the tip to the unseen staff who helped them. Room stewards would tip laundry staff for fast delivery of needed linens, etc. The idea was the work of the "back of the house" people helped the waiters and stewards do the good work that earned the tips.

The new gratuity/service charge system eliminated the complicated behind-the-scenes tipping. And I remembering this correctly?

So, instead of having an extra $12.50 per day added to your on-board account, you would rather have an extra $20-25 per day added to your fare? That's just nuts.

If the HSC were to end, and the amount added to the fare, the fare increase would have to allow for the HSC, PLUS the additional fees and commissions the workers have to pay out, just for them to remain even. They would get the same amount they are now getting, but you would be paying out a lot more---to people who have done nothing for you.

The workers who receive the HSC have to pay fees and commissions out of their wages to the agencies that place them. They do not have to pay anything on their gratuities.

NOW do you understand? It's the procedure that exists. You don't have to like it, but you are not in a position to change it.

When I go to Australia, I don't tip---that's not how things are done there. When I travel in areas where tipping is the norm, I tip. And when I travel in areas where tipping is an insult, I smile and bow graciously. You follow the custom of the place you are.

Thanks Ruth.. You have hit the nail on the head.. I can't believe that some are protesting the $12 or $13 HSC on a cruise...That's a bargain! .

Just went on-line to book South Seas Plantation or two people for one night: In Oct 01, 2015 out Oct. 2,2015..The best rate I could come up with was $189.00 per night & in each instance it states: Quote "Daily resort fee of $18.87 is excluded" .. BTW when we go to this resort by boat we pay our dockage fee for the night plus the resort fee.. If we eat on the Plantation, all the restaurants charge a service charge.. Last time we were there, believe it was 18% but don't have our bills to prove that rate..

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?roomno=1&rooms%5B0%5D.numberOfAdults=2&departureDate=10%2F02%2F15&arrivalDate=10%2F01%2F15&hotelId=123752&cmcLoc=3&cmcReport=c..UQMiNzg0LZcf5rH9HMnE9tPRQxe4wXHYvEkeGGUk6vot5DSA3mP2PWp7ru5qGgZN27eBeUintPXxwxtcy_H0tQ..

I checked several hotels on Sanibel & many give higher rates but also state the Resort fee is included..

I don't remember where I read/heard this, but I thought that in the days before the automatically added service charge, the people who were tipped directly would pass along part of the tip to the unseen staff who helped them. Room stewards would tip laundry staff for fast delivery of needed linens, etc. The idea was the work of the "back of the house" people helped the waiters and stewards do the good work that earned the tips.

The new gratuity/service charge system eliminated the complicated behind-the-scenes tipping. And I remembering this correctly?

I believe you are correct, but also think that some Stewards still share their tips with laundry staff & other back of the house staff.. I've actually seen Dining room waiters put their tips into a "general pool" to be divided up, but that is really no concern of ours..

Personal insults directed at fellow Members are not permitted on Cruise Critic. Several such posts have been removed. Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Edited by Host Walt

I believe you are correct, but also think that some Stewards still share their tips with laundry staff & other back of the house staff.. I've actually seen Dining room waiters put their tips into a "general pool" to be divided up, but that is really no concern of ours..

I wasn't being nosy. My point was that there has always been tipping to "back of the house" staff, it's just more direct now that HAL manages the distribution.

I wasn't being nosy. My point was that there has always been tipping to "back of the house" staff, it's just more direct now that HAL manages the distribution.

OH No.. :(Sorry didn't mean that you were nosy, just that I've seen some Stewards sharing, but it's really none of MY Business.. :D:eek:

OH No.. :(Sorry didn't mean that you were nosy, just that I've seen some Stewards sharing, but it's really none of MY Business.. :D:eek:

No problem, you're right, what they do with their money is their business. I just remembered reading that the old in-house tip distribution was a precursor to the new system.

On another front, I've noticed that we haven't seen many of the "I remove the service charge and tip who I want to tip" comments lately. It has become just about impossible to tip the waitstaff directly, what with open dining and the Lido. A passenger might not ever be served by the same waiters twice if he/she doesn't reserve a table at dinner.