When do you feel your vacation has started?

TBone2K

First phase is when I lock my door at work.

When we drive I don't feel like second phase vacation has started until we cross the state line.If we are going to FL its about a 24 hour drive so we leave as soon as we finish work for the day we are running like crazy putting in the cooler and chargers and picking up the children, when we cross the state line I have had time to unwind and double check I haven't forgotten anything and I know we're not turning back for anything.

Third phase is when I hand off my luggage and start check in or when we do a land vacation when we check in and get our room key.

Usually when I start packing, but sometimes I start doing that two weeks before hand and still need to work so I try and not think vacation. The day before we leave is when I "officially" let myself act like we're on vacation. I'm useless for pretty much anything else but vacation planning, packing, and thinking.

As soon as I leave work for the last time I switch to vacation mode. Of course, there is alot of work to be done to get ready for the trip, so I don't feel like I'm on vacation yet.

When flying, my vacation begins as I arrive at the hotel.

As for my cruise vacation, that begins as soon as I enter my stateroom for the first time. I like to read the Cruise Compass and other documents in my stateroom. Also, I have a place to leave my carry-on and feel free to enjoy the ship. :cool:

For me it will be once I've sat down with my first glass of bubbles in the Qantas lounge. I'm not a member but a friend generously gave me passes so a champagne breakfast before I board the plane starts my holiday off in style. :-)

Was just reading a question about muster drill and got me wondering, when do you feel your vacation has actually started?

Two hours before I am scheduled for work to end.

Oh, yeah ...... I always leave three hours early that day.

I feel it a bit when I leave work for the last time before vacation, but I REALLY feel it once we've made our way through immigration and security, and we are sitting at one of the restaurants in the departure area at the airport with a glass of wine in hand! We usually cruise in Europe, so we usually do added time for a land vacation to justify the airfares.

Two hours before I am scheduled for work to end.

Oh, yeah ...... I always leave three hours early that day.

I mentioned that earlier in the thread. A lot of why I do takes a few days, I try to avoid that kind of thing all afternoon and I usually have my 40 hours for the week in by about 3 o'clock, so see ya!

Holiday mode for me starts once I have booked the holiday, I love doing research and getting useful information from sites like this.:p

We almost always stay at a hotel by the airport the night before flying, not because we live so far away. I love spending the night at the airport, getting to the hotel mid afternoon, doing night before luggage drop when available. Having a meal land-side in the airport and getting up the next morning feeling refreshed and taking a slow walk into the terminal. It's great just walking to departures, without the horrendous queues to check in:D

I like the idea of a hotel the night before the flight! We might have to try that next time!

It is 3:30 p.m. right now. I changed my work voicemail and set my email away message. I watered my plants. I washed my coffee cup. I am waiting for it to be 4 p.m. so I can leave. THEN, I will be on vacation!

Oh no, I still have to pack! :eek:

I always pack the night before our flight too! It's part of my 'on vacation' ritual. So, I'm packing while enjoying my first vacation beverages, which increases the possibility that something will be forgotten! By the time I've finished packing it's time for bed for the first of many short nights to come, then up early for our flight.

I always pack the night before our flight too! It's part of my 'on vacation' ritual. So, I'm packing while enjoying my first vacation beverages, which increases the possibility that something will be forgotten! By the time I've finished packing it's time for bed for the first of many short nights to come, then up early for our flight.

I will be working from 9am until almost 10pm the night before we fly out, so I need to be totally packed by Wednesday night when I go to bed. Unless I don't want to sleep, there's no way I could pack the night before.

Vacation starts for me when we leave our house to head to the airport.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I've be mentally on vacation since last year when I booked some of my trips. But then again, who wouldn't when it's a 12 day this year and 3 weeks B2B next year, all in the Caribbean - when it's cold and probably snowing where I live. [emoji16]

Officially? 1) When I set out-of-office email and voicemail at the office and 2) if its a birthday cruise, need to survive Thanksgiving day dinner with family as well (my birthday is literally the week right after Thanksgiving)....Afterwards, it pretty much VACATION TIME! WOOHOO![emoji7]

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk