Thomas Keller menu

Kevnzworld

Thank you for posting this info. Since I am not familiar w. AdHoc I must admit that I am a bit surprised at the selections. At the same time this sounds like a very interesting change for dinner in the Colonnade. Can't quite follow when something [? same thing] is being offered in MDR or R2...sure this all is in flux.

Could you please tell us a bit more.........

What's the buzz...How are the menus/preparations being received?

What were the impressions of 'family style' with what I am assuming to be strangers?

How many of these new /prototype menus are there? [i realize that this may change.]

That menu looks just like the one at Ad Hoc in Yountville (down to the fonts and logos.

The "family style" is that everything is not individually plated - i.e. for a table of four, the salad will be in a bowl with tongs, four portions of the entree will be in a Le Crueset casserole placed in the center of the table. Cheese comes out on a shared cheeseboard.

I've dined with merger groups at AdHic and typically the dishes have been set up for 2-3 people - so at a table for 6, there might be three cheeseboards or two bowls of salad.

For the history of Ad Hoc (as I recall it), Keller wanted to open up a new "American classics" restaurant to offer an option alongside the French Laundry and Bouchon. It was originally intended to just be a pop up to test recipes but it was so popular that it became a permanent concept. Each day's menu is posted online the morning of and the focus is on seasonal items (including lots of veggies out of the French Laundry's garden) and heavy on comfort food (fried chicken, meatloaf, short ribs).

I really like this as an option for the Colonade - especially if they can keep the execution of Ad Hoc alive.

That menu looks just like the one at Ad Hoc in Yountville (down to the fonts and logos.

The "family style" is that everything is not individually plated - i.e. for a table of four, the salad will be in a bowl with tongs, four portions of the entree will be in a Le Crueset casserole placed in the center of the table. Cheese comes out on a shared cheeseboard.

I've dined with merger groups at AdHic and typically the dishes have been set up for 2-3 people - so at a table for 6, there might be three cheeseboards or two bowls of salad.

For the history of Ad Hoc (as I recall it), Keller wanted to open up a new "American classics" restaurant to offer an option alongside the French Laundry and Bouchon. It was originally intended to just be a pop up to test recipes but it was so popular that it became a permanent concept. Each day's menu is posted online the morning of and the focus is on seasonal items (including lots of veggies out of the French Laundry's garden) and heavy on comfort food (fried chicken, meatloaf, short ribs).

I really like this as an option for the Colonade - especially if they can keep the execution of Ad Hoc alive.

That's what concerns me. While French Laundry and Ad Hoc can walk across the street to some of their gardens and pick whatever is ripe, cruise ships don't have that luxury, especially on crossings. I'm curious to see how they get around that issue.

Kevnzworld, have they mentioned that family style is the new concept for the revamp of Restaurant 2 or is this something that will be additionally available in the Collonnade?

'Family style' ... does that mean kids running around, toddlers puking in their high chairs and elderly relatives needing their steaks minced up and dribbling down their chins?

'Family style' ... does that mean kids running around, toddlers puking in their high chairs and elderly relatives needing their steaks minced up and dribbling down their chins?

Id be less concerned with that than the increased chance for spreading Noro. Besides with enough duct tape the kids running around problem is easily solved;)

Emperor, You are too funny [duct tape]. I also thought of noro but 6 people

touching the spoon is not even close to the number during a buffet.

Since ships always offer salads [perhaps not gem lettuce]...and cheeses on some lines are superb...I don't think that these will be the issues..nor will beans, ribs or cheesecake. My own experience recently is that lines are less and less inclined to purchase locally so I'm not counting the TA as challenging either. I guess the challenge for me will be to get my head around this concept

vs my Per Se experiences [no, didn't expect these highly complex items] or cookbook! In retrospect I probably hadn't envisioned such an earthy menu. Will remain interested in hearing more about what is offered in MDR. Will note that the creamsicle sounded tempting!

I'm distinctly underwhelmed so far. I also have concerns about noro.

Does this "family style" still apply if there are only two of us at the table?

Not sure that serving myself from a stainless steel pot is my idea of luxury. Cruising Seabourn from now, I'd better get used to plating my own food from what looks like a dog bowl! :D;)

I'll hold final judgement until I get the opportunity to sample this for myself - hopefully - in December.

Totally agree about the likely hood of viruses circulating, when everyone is handling the utensils.

On our seabourn cruise 2 weeks ago, a man at our table blew his nose every 5 minutes with a cloth hanky.

I would not want to share anything he touched!

It's not my idea of fine dining.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions (yet), I'm sure the last thing SB want would be a reputation for noro on their ships.

What they are doing now and what they finally come up with may be worlds apart. I would have thought that noro would be high on their priority when designing a dining concept.

A couple of years ago on Quest,we had beef from RR Ranch. It was widely promoted as being from this ranch. I have no idea who, what or where RR Ranch is, but IMO it was the worst beef we have had. Since then, we have had cruises on both Quest and Sojourn, and no mention of RR Ranch beef - I hope it stays that way.

Not knowing anything about Keller except what I have read here - a couple of questions as we will be on Seabourn fairly soon.

What is a Napa Burger? The only time I ever have a burger is for lunch in the Colonnade, as it does seem like good beef. Also, is it possible for a party of two to have the 'family style' dining'? Don't mind serving ourselves out of bowls, but we normally prefer to eat a deux, and also not sure about sharing bowls etc. with others.

Thanks in advance for any information.

A couple of years ago on Quest,we had beef from RR Ranch. It was widely promoted as being from this ranch. I have no idea who, what or where RR Ranch is, but IMO it was the worst beef we have had. Since then, we have had cruises on both Quest and Sojourn, and no mention of RR Ranch beef - I hope it stays that way.

They supply to several high end shops like Williams-Sonoma, and get excellent ratings from those who have bought from them.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/double-r-ranch-prime-ribs/?cm_src=AutoRel

Also, is it possible for a party of two to have the 'family style' dining'? Don't mind serving ourselves out of bowls, but we normally prefer to eat a deux, and also not sure about sharing bowls etc. with others.

Unless Seabourn is doing some weird interpretation of the original Ad Hoc style, dining a deux will still be the norm. I've had "family style" dining solo at the bar at the original in California - I got my own bowl of salad w/ tongs, my own cast iron dish with main/sides, and my own cheeseboard. The portions of the "family style" are adjusted to the size of the individual party being served.

I think some are taking the term family style and trying to twist it into some norovirus infested communal experience which is not at all what the original is. My experience when dining at the restaurant is that the portions are designed for the number of people you are dining with... so if you are solo or a deux, your "family style" serving will be for that number of people. I've never seen a dish come out for more than four people - when I've been at Ad Hoc with a larger group, we've had multiple dishes come out (example - three couples, three cheeseboards).

This isn't some passed between tables or forced communal table experience. Its merely a way of serving food where one has a bit of control over portion. And the plus - for those who complain about lukewarm food in the MDR - is that having your mains served in a cast iron dish so they are served hot.

In my experience, I have never been seated with strangers in the Colonade... so unless you are making that decision to dine with people you don't know, you shouldn't have any strange experiences... not unless the thought of serving yourself out of the same dish as your chosen dining companion is odd - and if that is the case, you probably are used to having this type of social awkwardness when visiting the homes of others already!

Edited by jenidallas

I wouldn't jump to conclusions (yet), I'm sure the last thing SB want would be a reputation for noro on their ships.

What they are doing now and what they finally come up with may be worlds apart. I would have thought that noro would be high on their priority when designing a dining concept.

If you are dining with your companion - the chances are you are going to transmit the norovirus between each other without having to serve yourselves from the same dish. For that matter, Seabourn should eliminate the dessert petit fours and ice chocolates in the MDR because those are also served "family style".

Unless Seabourn is doing some weird interpretation of the original Ad Hoc style, dining a deux will still be the norm. I've had "family style" dining solo at the bar at the original in California - I got my own bowl of salad w/ tongs, my own cast iron dish with main/sides, and my own cheeseboard. The portions of the "family style" are adjusted to the size of the individual party being served.

I think some are taking the term family style and trying to twist it into some norovirus infested communal experience which is not at all what the original is. My experience when dining at the restaurant is that the portions are designed for the number of people you are dining with... so if you are solo or a deux, your "family style" serving will be for that number of people. I've never seen a dish come out for more than four people - when I've been at Ad Hoc with a larger group, we've had multiple dishes come out (example - three couples, three cheeseboards).

This isn't some passed between tables or forced communal table experience. Its merely a way of serving food where one has a bit of control over portion. And the plus - for those who complain about lukewarm food in the MDR - is that having your mains served in a cast iron dish so they are served hot.

In my experience, I have never been seated with strangers in the Colonade... so unless you are making that decision to dine with people you don't know, you shouldn't have any strange experiences... not unless the thought of serving yourself out of the same dish as your chosen dining companion is odd - and if that is the case, you probably are used to having this type of social awkwardness when visiting the homes of others already!

Ah, but this is Cruise Critic where the worst is always assumed and often accompanied by threats to cancel reservations and switch to Crystal or Silverseas. :D:D

Ah, but this is Cruise Critic where the worst is always assumed and often accompanied by threats to cancel reservations and switch to Crystal or Silverseas. :D:D

Exactly! With the Colonade already being on par with a prison cafeteria at breakfast/lunch, I'm not surprised we've escalated to hyperbole here. It's like a covered dish supper in the Methodist basement, perhaps. :D

I know we don't pass norovirus around at *my* family dinners... but I can't speak to the experiences of others when they give the servants the night off.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was a norovirus fear junkie- not at all. Glad to hear that you can dine a deux for this 'family' type service. We are both a bit deaf, so find it difficult with others, and do not like being a nuisance to them. I would still like to know what a Napa burger is, if anyone can enlighten me - I have heard of Napa coleslaw, but otherwise no clue. Are they just at the Patio Grill? We really like the Colonnade, especially outside,for breakfast and lunch.

I've never seen s burger at a Thonas Keller restaurant big based on interviews going back a decade, Keller has long discussed wanting to do a wine-based burger joint.

I know burgers are served at Bouchon, Beverly Hills.

Thank you jenidallas for explaining the concept and your experience. It sounds interesting. I enjoy your rationale explanations.

Julie

My experience w petit fours and post prandial iced chocolates is that you select one [or more] from a plate that contains several. These are finger foods and you do not share utensils.

So when you go to celebrations like Thanksgiving and Christmas you don't share salad utensils etc?

Edited by frantic36

My experience w petit fours and post prandial iced chocolates is that you select one [or more] from a plate that contains several. These are finger foods and you do not share utensils.

I'd be more frightened of fingers than tongs or a serving spoon.